Thread: Strange Unrest

Katsoro's Avatar Libertus

Default Strange Unrest

I've been interfering Strange Unrest ie some of my settlements have 80% Unrest (in the settlement happiness tab) even with 100% my factions religion a full garrison and plenty of happiness buildings. I have this problem with every faction I've played and every play throw.

Default Re: Strange Unrest

I dunno what causes it or how to address it in game, but if you go to descr_settlement_mechanics.xml in the mod data folder and change the max value allowed for "Turmoil" from 16 to something lower, you can reduce it from 80% in increments of 5%. So, at 16 the max possible is 80%, and at 4 the max is 20%.

Quote Originally Posted by Katsoro View Post
    I've been interfering Strange Unrest ie some of my settlements have 80% Unrest (in the settlement happiness tab) even with 100% my factions religion a full garrison and plenty of happiness buildings. I have this problem with every faction I've played and every play throw.
    Well. Do you have taxes on "high", Are you lossing all your battle? or are at war with every one(or close to it)?
    When I was about to win the campaign with the Gorons. I started to get huge Unrest for all or most of my settlements.
    So there maybe a connection.

I encounter this even early on with no wars on record, no losses against rebels, and normal taxes in every settlement. My current Ordona play has 80% unrest in every city but the starting ones, and I've not even been to war yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Frostwyrmwraith View Post
    I encounter this even early on with no wars on record, no losses against rebels, and normal taxes in every settlement. My current Ordona play has 80% unrest in every city but the starting ones, and I've not even been to war yet.
    Did you just "walk in to a settlement" or did you "ransack it" or "let them have it"?
    Also the current Religion level for a settlement could do it. it takes time to change it to your religion.
    Lastly squabble or Corruption could also do it. For those you need a good general to sit in that settlement to com them down and to establish order and the longer a general is in a settlement. the more the settlement likes him. and the more they will be unhappy when that general stops being their mayor.
    Last edited by Eldren; September 28, 2015 at 04:18 PM.

Like Frostwyrmwraith I get it even in early game (before any wars) too. I tested it and if I "ransack it" or "let them have it" the unrest will be low or gone (unless it is far from the capital then it dose nothing) but will then go back to 80% over the next few turns. Also even with 60% my religion 105% happiness from buildings and a governor in the city for 50 turns I will still have 80%/60% religious unrest and 80% normal plus unrest from squaller.

What hardness setting is it on? Other than that, it could be a bug from some thing.

Edit:
    Are your settlements rebelling? If not, then it's nothing to worry about. You have plenty to counteract that 80%
    Last edited by Eldren; September 28, 2015 at 05:12 PM.

I can add that I'm on normal.

It's more of a problem than you think though. Consider a faction like the fairies: they have no happiness buildings whatsoever and all their units have low "presence" as garrisons. Civilized factions have no problem keeping the settlement happy above 80% unrest if they have time to build all their happiness structures, but factions with few to none of those get stuck putting massive garrisons in rear echelon deployments. I had maybe 1,000 troops sitting in Horon as the Fairies when the battlefront was all the way out in the Gerudo desert, and Horon was a village that voluntarily joined me and had Mayor Ruul stationed at it the entire game. Some settlements had even more than that, like the Goron capital and Domain Prime with their larger populations. I think they were capping 2,000.

It also doesn't help that not every faction has priests to counter religious unrest. Church descriptions make it sound like they should be converting on their own, but they don't seem to. Throw that on top of the civil unrest and squalor, and 2,000 troops were keeping the Goron capital in the yellow, which was getting worse the higher the population grew.

I was on normal and true it's not a problem when you have all the happiness buildings but when everyone is attacking you with 3 to 4 stacks and you need every toop you cna get it becomes a problem.