Thread: Ideas for new units or units that are not in the latest/official army books

scoicarius's Avatar Ordinarius

Default Ideas for new units or units that are not in the latest/official army books

I'd like to see more units for the existing factions than those listed in the latest army books, and I'd like to see all minor factions properly fleshed out. This thread is meant for ideas for such units, and/or how you envision them implemented.

---

Before I start, I want to shoot down a potential objection that might come up: adding more units would be a nightmare to balance. Well, yes it would...for multiplayer. In singleplayer however the game does not need to (and I'd go so far as to say shouldn't) be perfectly balanced across all factions. Singleplayer and multiplayer are two altogether different experiences and they should be treated as such. So all the unit ideas we come up with are mostly with singleplayer in mind. (They could simply be unavailable in multiplayer.)

---

Here's the format I'll be using:

Unit name (weapon configuration1/weapon configuration2/etc.; armor; unit size; regiment size; rarity): additional details.

I'll be using the following approximative system:
    - for armor: none, light, medium, heavy
    - for unit size: very small (Snotling-sized), small (Goblin-sized), normal (human-sized), large (Ogre-sized), very large (Thundertusk-sized), huge (giant-sized)
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Thundertusk

- for regiment size (I'll tweak the numbers based on feedback): extremely small (1-9), very small (10-19), small (20-49), medium (50-99), normal (100-119), high (120-149), very high (150+)
    - for rarity (that is, availability during the singleplayer campaign): common, uncommon, rare, very rare, extremely rare.

---

I'll start with the Greenskins, to set the tone:

Big 'Uns: (two choppas/choppa & shield/two-handed choppa; heavy armor; large size; small number; very rare): Bigger in size and rarer than Black Orcs, suffer from animosity (unlike Black Orcs).

Goblin Wolf Rider Archers (bow & choppa; no armor; high number; uncommon): Fast skirmishers, small range (and poor aim), slightly above average in melee because the wolves attack too.

Giant Squigs (very large size; very small number; very rare): Potentially devastating but unreliable shock troops. They are set loose, and you have no more control over them afterwards.

Squig Herds with Giant Squigs(*) (small number; very rare): Squig Herds that contain Squigs of varying sizes. They are set loose, and you have no more control over them afterwards.

Colossal Squigs
    (huge size; very small number; extremely rare): Potentially devastating but unreliable shock troops. They are set loose, and you have no more control over them afterwards. Can only be obtained via quests.

Squig Gobbas (very large size; extremely small number; very rare): Potentially devastating but unreliable short-range living artillery (sort of).

Forest Goblins (choppa & shield/spear & shield; light armor; very high number): Better when fighting in forests.

Forest Goblin Archers (bow & choppa; no armor; very high number): Better when fighting in forests.

Forest Goblin Spider Rider Archers (bow & choppa; no armor; high number; uncommon): Skirmishers, small range (and poor aim), slightly above average in melee because the spiders attack too. Better when fighting in forests. Can climb over obstacles.

Giant Spiders (very large size; very small number; rare): Spiders larger than those the Forest Goblins ride, smaller than Arachnaroks. Monstrous shock troops. Can climb over obstacles.

Spider Swarms (extremely high number; very rare): Lots of spiders of varying sizes (between dog-sized and the size of those ridden by Forest Goblins). Can climb over obstacles.

Giant Scorpions (very large size; very small number; rare): Extremely poisonous monstrous shock troops (extremely good against big monsters). Can climb over obstacles.

Rogue Idols of Gork (or Mork) (very large size; extremely small number; very rare): They have an aura that inspires Greenskins making them fight better, and can also attack. Maybe could be summoned by high-level shamans.

If they implement Greenskin tribes (I hope they do), only some tribes would have access to some of these units.

---

(*) So there would be three types of Squig herds:
    - normal Squig herds (only with normal Squigs)
    - Giant Squig herds (only with Giant Squigs)
    - mixed Squig herds (with both normal and Giant Squigs)
    Last edited by scoicarius; September 14, 2015 at 05:17 PM.
    The Art of Warhammer Fantasy <-- link
    A facebook page with Warhammer Fantasy art that I've been collecting over the years as a hobby. Updated regularly. Enjoy.

Bobington's Avatar Ordinarius
    You illuminaterz wont find nuthin bout me!

Default Re: Ideas for new units or units that are not in the latest/official army books

Scorpions? Also, I am jealous of your ability to make a proper list. My army roster was a wall of text, but was much less informative. Props.
    As God wills it.

Default Re: Ideas for new units or units that are not in the latest/official army books

Quote Originally Posted by Bobington View Post
    Scorpions?
    There was such a unit in Dark Omen:

and in Warhammer Online:

Last edited by scoicarius; September 14, 2015 at 05:10 PM.
    A facebook page with Warhammer Fantasy art that I've been collecting over the years as a hobby. Updated regularly. Enjoy.

Double post (I wanted to edit the one above and posted another one by mistake). :|

I would love to see kurgan horse archers/ kurgan units in general. The lore talks about how the kurgans are some of the best horse archers in the world, on par with or better than kislev, yet WOC don't have any even though kurgan war bands make up a big chunk of chaos forces. I would also love to see the chaos war mammoth.

Kurgan horse archers
    Weapons- composite recurve bow and one hand weapon(sword/axe) maybe a shield.
    Armor- none to light
    Unit size- normal to large
    Reg size- medium, normal light cav size
    Rarity- depends on how WOC are implemented, could be anything.

Chaos war mammoth
    Weapons-Norscans/ marauders on back armed with spear and throwing axes. Tusks, normally covered with spikes, and can crush people.
    Armor- none but units mounted on back would have height and maybe cover advantage.
    Unit size- Huge
    Reg size- extremely small.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails chaos-war-mammoth.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by cwood92 View Post
    Chaos war mammoth
    Weapons-Norscans/ marauders on back armed with spear and throwing axes. Tusks, normally covered with spikes, and can crush people.
    Armor- none but units mounted on back would have height and maybe cover advantage.
    Unit size- Huge
    Reg size- extremely small.
    I'd love to see Chaos War Mammoths in the game. They could also come in the mutated variety, where they have major mutations that make them functionally different, such as tentacles.

Huge design space here.

Bobington's Avatar Ordinarius
    You illuminaterz wont find nuthin bout me!

I would like to see Chaos Dwarves riding Chaos Dwarf bull centaurs, so the bull centaur has an axe and shield to beat stuff up, while the riding Chaos Dwarf either carries a blunderbuss or fireglaive, or maybe he will be a sorcerer. Maybe I will create a proper concept for it later.
    As God wills it.

I'd love to see all four types of Squigs from Warhammer Online in the game: Battle Squigs, Horned Squigs, Spiked Squigs, and Gas Squigs, each with different stats and abilities (for instance Horned and Spiked Squigs could have a more devastating charge).

---

The picture below gave me the idea of light and heavy cavalry for Orcs:

Heavy Orc Boar Boyz (choppa & shield; heavy armor; medium number; uncommon): More powerful charge and better in combat than Orc Boar Boyz.

Heavy Orc Boar Chariots (small number; uncommon): More powerful charge than Orc Boar Chariots.
    Last edited by scoicarius; October 09, 2015 at 06:08 PM.

I know Bretonnia will probably not be in the first game, but the idea of Great Lion Cavalry came to my mind.

Basically, after seeing the demi-gryph riders for the Empire, I wondered what kind of other mythic-monster-riding cavalry we could have for the human factions...

Maybe take the white lions from the High Elves army list below, make them even bigger, strap some plate armor on them and you have the most epic looking mount IMO

Armor would be heavy I guess.
    Unit size would be very large
    Regiment size would be very small (20 units sounds good to me).
    And rarity would be extremely rare. Like only a couple units per campaign.

I'm thinking about a very good, but also very expensive unit that has a boost courage perk for allies, an instill fear perk for enemies and has the fearless perk. Their stats would notably be an especially high charge bonus, making them a super-super heavy shock cavalry.
    I guess they would be really expensive, and very difficult to obtain (maybe through a unique quest where you have to rescue a stranded expedition of High Elves from Chrace, and they gift you with White Lions as a reward).
    Last edited by frenchyvinnie; October 09, 2015 at 05:59 PM.

I could see White Lions as extra heavy shock cavalry but super super heavy is reserved for Lizardmen and Ogre cavalry.

Quote Originally Posted by frenchyvinnie View Post
    I know Bretonnia will probably not be in the first game, but the idea of Great Lion Cavalry came to my mind.
    I like the idea a lot.

Maybe these could be a very rare breed of Great White Lions, about this size:

They could also come in beast variety, where a few of these are unleashed upon the enemy, like dogs are in previous Total War games.
    Last edited by scoicarius; October 09, 2015 at 06:35 PM.