Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Warhammer will be next but what then?

Default Re: Warhammer will be next but what then?

Quote Originally Posted by PikeStance View Post
    They also stated that they will test the limits of the engine in the next released.
    So they are STILL forcing out games on the same damn engine they have been using since Empire? When the hell are we ever going to get an new engine for 's shake? It's not even justified by CA being dedicated on making it work by this point, their just being lazy as all hell in starting a new one.

Well, the huge difference between the old Engine and this engine is the poor battle mechanics. CA seemingly has focused more on campaign development than the tactical aspects of the game. For the player that like campaign managements, but hates the sophisticated approach used by Paradox, then TW provides a viable solution. CA has done just enough to improve on the battle mechanics, but at its best, it is not as dynamic as pre- engine games. For me, the actual decision making of the AI has never really been that great. The difference is in the dynamic movements of the units. I personally doubt the battle mechanics will improve and that is really what attracted me to the game in the first place. if the next title is again focus on improve campaign play, then I suspect most (including myself, would be disappointed. It would be like putting bling on a Vespa while Paradox gives you a top of the line Harley -Davidson.

Well, if the sales & marketing people at CA truly wanted to tap into the populist zeitgeist of the moment, my calculated guess is the American Civil War or an Old West scenario is on the table. I mean, what with HBO's hugely popular Westworld series doing the rounds and all. Also, don't forget Red Dead Redemption 2 is being hyped to the max next year. So, I think the Old West American Frontier through to the Civil War might be it. Quite a few DLC possibilities too... Expect epic Ironclad sea battles, Gettysburg, political intrigue, assassinations, Geronimo, Sitting Bull, Sioux Nation DLC, Davy Crockett's Remember the Alamo DLC, Mexican War DLC, maybe Custer's Last Stand at Little Bighorn 1876 DLC. I'm not particularly happy about it, but there you are. Every year they avoid Medieval III (my personal wish), it only frustrates me more. It'd be cool if CA would collaborate with the guys from the 1212AD Medieval Kingdoms mod at some point and make a full campaign as a sort of side project to keep us happy during the long, long Medieval III drought.

Another reason for Total War: The New World; it'd be a (satisfying?) slap in the face to Darth Vader (CA's arch enemy), engineered to hit his Ultimate General series where it hurts. I don't expect they would want to miss that opportunity, right?

The only problem is of course, the chances of a NEW American Civil War happening next year (for real) is a possibility! Surely, the CA marketing execs wouldn't be hoping to "tap into" THAT ...would they?!

Yup
    + Total War without Jeff van Dyck is like Star Wars without John Williams +

"Sum tempestas fusca, qua perducit terra"

BarnicleBill1's Avatar Centenarius

I want new world exploration. That's my main wish. But I don't think they will go there, it'd be a but more niche and require greater tweaking of mechanics.

Hattori's Avatar Citizen

Please give us either Victoria or American Civil War. I would be happy with both. Especially the ACW.

I would love the colonization and exploration era but it's probably a little too politically incorrect these days.

Under Patronage of MARCVS

Quote Originally Posted by Hermes33 View Post
    Well, if the sales & marketing people at CA truly wanted to tap into the populist zeitgeist of the moment, my calculated guess is the American Civil War or an Old West scenario is on the table.
    No, no and hell no. The civil war no matter what cannot stand as it's own game in the total war series, too few factions and not enough areas to make it big enough. As an expansion yes that is definitely viable but as its own stand alone game? not a chance. And why the heck would CA make a game about the wild west? that is even worse. Why would CA give a about some TV show or video game set in the west? absolutely no mention has been made by them wanting to go there and just because some shows and games are being made about that time and place does not mean its the "big thing" now. There have always been western games so there is no reason for CA to limit themselves to just North America when they could include the whole world during that time since it was the freaking Victorian era. At least the people saying ww1 have some reason as the new battlefield that came out has been huge(even if I feel it is still a pretty stupid reason because ww1 even now would not work in this kind of game).

Another reason for Total War: The New World; it'd be a (satisfying?) slap in the face to Darth Vader (CA's arch enemy), engineered to hit his Ultimate General series where it hurts. I don't expect they would want to miss that opportunity, right?
    It wouldn't because CA could only dream of making an AI half way as Good s Darth did. The people who play his game do so because they require something that CA cannot provide and that's an AI and battles that feel more tactically thought out and more challenging overall.

The only problem is of course, the chances of a NEW American Civil War happening next year (for real) is a possibility! Surely, the CA marketing execs wouldn't be hoping to "tap into" THAT ...would they?!

Yup
    Oh yeah, the second American Civil War, fought between snobbish pretentious liberal arts college frats who love complaining about the police and guns on one side and Angry bitter lower class hard workers who carry weapons by the load. I don't think CA would be interested in a one sided conflict.

BarnicleBill1's Avatar Centenarius

If politically correct is the issue a game about war is already doomed.

Vanders's Avatar Civis

Quote Originally Posted by Hattori View Post
    Please give us either Victoria or American Civil War. I would be happy with both. Especially the ACW.

I would love the colonization and exploration era but it's probably a little too politically incorrect these days.
    With a whole two factions to play with no less! No, I think that is a rather terrible idea for a game, but as a dlc it may work.

History is politically incorrect. TW shouldn't and won't skirt around facts for the sensitivities of those too delicate to handle reality.

American Civil War would be more interesting if CA focus on battles and military organization something they have refused to do. I wouldn't mind having a choice of two factions if the depth of play was expanded as I suggested here. Again this is something CA ignored despite this being the very reason why people play TW games.

American Civil War would be more interesting if CA focus on battles and military organization something they have refused to do. I wouldn't mind having a choice of two factions if the depth of play was expanded as I suggested here. Again this is something CA ignored despite this being the very reason why people play TW games.
    Yes exactly, good point. You put it better than I could, well said! Yes, as things are, the American Civil War would only play a part (DLC) in the greater scheme of things in Total War: Victoria but as you say, a more detailed organisation and complex campaign+battle mechanic would be welcome. Well, the Victorian age is obviously IT if Medieval is confirmed as out, that's all I was really hinting at. My only question is where would the main focus of the grand campaign begin? The Boer War and conquest of Africa? Cecil Rhodes' excursion into Rhodesia and naming of the country? Either way, we should expect some epic Zulu Nation DLC as well as The New World and The Blue & The Gray DLC. Looking forward to it (as much as I hoped for Medieval III). ACW would also be a nice opportunity for some epic music. It's cool listening to Ennio Morricone while playing the Blue & the Grey mod (for Empire): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOr0na6mKJQ. I just hope that Jeff van Dyck is given another opportunity to create another BAFTA winning score, whatever it is
    Last edited by Frunk; December 19, 2016 at 09:42 PM. Reason: Off-topic comments removed.
    + Total War without Jeff van Dyck is like Star Wars without John Williams +

"Sum tempestas fusca, qua perducit terra"

Frunk's Avatar Form Follows Function
    Artifex took an arrow to the knee

I have edited and removed some off-topic/borderline disruptive posts from this thread. Please keep this discussion civil by responding to the message, not the messenger.

Further off-topic comments may be penalised. Feel free to PM me should you have any questions. Thanks.

Incendio's Avatar Semisalis

Yes exactly, good point. You put it better than I could, well said! Yes, as things are, the American Civil War would only play a part (DLC) in the greater scheme of things in Total War: Victoria but as you say, a more detailed organisation and complex campaign+battle mechanic would be welcome. Well, the Victorian age is obviously IT if Medieval is confirmed as out, that's all I was really hinting at. My only question is where would the main focus of the grand campaign begin? The Boer War and conquest of Africa? Cecil Rhodes' excursion into Rhodesia and naming of the country? Either way, we should expect some epic Zulu Nation DLC as well as The New World and The Blue & The Gray DLC. Looking forward to it (as much as I hoped for Medieval III). ACW would also be a nice opportunity for some epic music. It's cool listening to Ennio Morricone while playing the Blue & the Grey mod (for Empire): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOr0na6mKJQ. I just hope that Jeff van Dyck is given another opportunity to create another BAFTA winning score, whatever it is
    Would not be too big a DLC covering American Civil War considering there are other games focused only in this war? (Scourge of War Gettysburg, Ultimate General, ...). I am the very first one here who pray to God every single day for a Victoria Total War since is my favourite period (closer one would be Pike & Shot) but having very little idea about the tactics and warfare of this era, I would say that I don't see feasible to cover a long period such as between 1835-1900, to give an example. This was an era of technological revolution and constant changes and one thing is how was the warfare in times of Franco-Prussian War, in times of American Civil War and how were the colonial wars. The units would be different from one decade to another and the weapons as well. The very few wars and battles that took place in Europe were in huge size (>100k soldiers per side) while the colonial battles such as those of Zulu war were smaller (in Isandlwana were 20k zulu warriors). The tactics used are fairly different as well. I would like to see a Victoria Total War focused in a period and continent and then further DLC covering colonial wars such as Zulu war or Mahdist war. CA did a similar thing with Fall of the Samurai DLC set in Boshin War (1868-69). Anyway, I have no doubt that the uniforms would be stunning and also the weapons. I am worried about the effects of artillery/early machine guns but I think that optimizing the game to play battles with more than 20k soldiers per side, I mean, huge infantry unit sizes would be not only more realistic, as for european warfare, but also would balance the artillery effect. CA have done this before with Fall of the Samurai and Warhammer. I think a fairly accurate representation of 19th century warfare can be achieved but a lot of work must be involved.

I personally dont think that 20k soldiers on each side of a battle would be possible on the battlefield. There is no way they are going to be able to optimize the game enough for there to be that many soldiers on the field at once. Perhaps people with very powerful pc's could manage but then CA would be cutting their player base in half. However, I do agree with what you said about the Victorian Era being too broad. I agree it should be restricted to a certain decade. Maybe they could have different campagins for different years for Ex. (1850-1860) (1870-1880) but I highly doubt they will do something like this because it would take a lot of time and work. Machine guns, I think, are the biggest obstacle if they do a late Victorian Era game. MG's would kind of get rid of the strategy and tactics imo.

graphic made by Noif de Bodemloze

I also think ACW should be an expansion not a main game. The main game should be Victoria. My main concern is the scale of the GC map is CA really able to make a global or nearly global map works ? I doubt it. I really would love a map as big as those of Paradox but it seems unlikely.
    That means to me that CA may choose another totally different period which shares mechanichs with Warhammer. Something closer to the Renaissance. This game would start before the end of Medieval 2 maybe the end of the 14th century and go forth. Lot of potential: Joan of Arc, the Wars in Italy, maybe even Wars with the Aztecs...

I would love to see a Victoria Total War with lots of non-European maps including a South Africa map with Zulus, Boers and British, and Mythology Total War with Greek, Egyptian, Mesopotamian, Celtic and Germanic (and maybe Mayan?) factions and mythological creatures.

I always was against a mythological tw but since they made Warhammer.. why not. They could have loads of different factions with an universe as seen in Titan Quest.

Am I the only one who would appreciate a Total War: Alexander? Total War: Attila has the same era as RTW:BI, so why not make Alexander's own game too?

Quote Originally Posted by Sashimig View Post
    Why am I always reading post asking/thinking CA could do a game totally set in China. Never did I find a good argument. China would be the worst setting ever with clone armies and clone factions. CA would be forced to find even greater tricks than in Shogun to create different factions. The game would be only plain boredom and would not appeal to most gamers (I'm not referring to"real tw fans")
    I suggest you do some research about China before you make these statements. What we see as a "homogeneous nation today was not always so. The South of China fought entirely different than the North fought. The Qin was the "equestrian" region of the Han dynasty. CA would not have to manufacture something fictitious.

The most difficult aspect of China is the amount of research CA would have to do in order to do it right. Moreover, the Mandate mechanic would be something that absolutely must be in the game or it will be a Shogun in a different region. The game would also be just as much based on management as war. The difficult about governing the region was maintaining the elaborate irrigation, road and river system. Moreover, despite repeatedly redistributing the land, it was inevitable that a landless over taxed peasantry will emerged. Internal stress coupled with external threats and natural disasters will challenge your mandate if and only if you can even claim it yourself.

Lastly I find it interesting that people who like TW China the least are the same people who know Chinese history the least, while those who see it has a potential great title are knowledgeable. There is more to China than Mao, Jet Li, Bruce Lee and Jackie Chan.

SNIP
    Exactly my point. Thank you.

My hope springs eternal for a Total War set from the 1870s up and through World War 1. I know the odds of this happening are extremely slim but I can dream.