Thread: GREAT info about Song demographics and administration

Default GREAT info about Song demographics and administration

So, doing some search I found The Digital Gazetteer of the Song Dynasty.
    It's basically "the most comprehensive print source for Song geography in any language. The Digital Gazetteer of Song Dynasty China (DGSD) is a MySQL database derived primarily from the Alphabetical List" at the University of California.
    If you know how to use databases, how to use SQL or even Access, really, check it. I'm quite surprised I never stumbled upon it before.

It contains 3828 headwords, including rank one to four administrative units (circuits, prefectures, counties and towns), markets and stockades, centers of state industry (mines, foundries and commodity markets) in prefectures, number of cantons per county (could be used to estimate population), etc.

It's a really valuable resource that could make a Chinese mod the most accurate ever. The project was created to support the book Dividing the Realm in Order to Govern: The Spatial Organization of the Song State (Harvard Asia Center, March 2011). Might be worth to check it.

I'm posting this as a resource for AUH and other interested modding teams.

Default Re: GREAT info about Song demographics and administration

I wonder if the folks at wanmod are interested in this. However they seem to be completely tied up by their Ming Dynasty mod at the moment.

I'm currently trying to tie it all together to make a map. Really, there's much info. I also have good info on Tibet, Mongolia and the Tarim Basin. Lacking info on Viet, Da Li and Korea, and I have no interest on Japan, really, so I couldn't bother with it.

well done!