Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The SafeDisc Issue affecting older Total War games

Laetus

Default Re: The SafeDisc Issue affecting older Total War games

I have Windows 10 on my computer and the original mtw without any expansions. I followed the steps under the cool new solution, which didn't work. So I reinstalled the game after the safe disk was installed, and the game launched after a few times of a blank screen popping up and closing repeatedly. On launching the intro video played, but after that when the menu was about to launch, there was the standard 'schwing' sound the menu makes when it appears and then the game completely shutdown. I was really hoping I could play this game without getting the steam version. Oh well, I guess one upside is that I have never played the viking expansion and I might as well try it when I get the steam version.

Frunk's Avatar Form Follows Function
    Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Wangalade
    I have Windows 10 on my computer and the original mtw without any expansions. I followed the steps under the cool new solution, which didn't work. So I reinstalled the game after the safe disk was installed, and the game launched after a few times of a blank screen popping up and closing repeatedly. On launching the intro video played, but after that when the menu was about to launch, there was the standard 'schwing' sound the menu makes when it appears and then the game completely shutdown. I was really hoping I could play this game without getting the steam version. Oh well, I guess one upside is that I have never played the viking expansion and I might as well try it when I get the steam version.
    Hi Wangalade,

Sorry to hear that that solution didn't work for you. It might be worth Googling for any new solutions. I'll get around to doing that myself sometime, and update this accordingly if there's anything worth noting.

I don't even have W10 any more. I had a HD crash and had to revert to W7, which my laptop came with. It still has no issues with my disc version Kingdoms expansion, which is good, but I do have issues running other games, like Command & Conquer: Generals - Zero Hour. I tried the Cool New Solution myself, but it didn't work for me either. I thought it may be because I'm on W7, but who knows; as far as I know no one here has reported any success with it.

I notice you mention the Viking expansion. Are you referring to Medieval 1?

Frunk

Laetus

Quote Originally Posted by Frunk View Post

I notice you mention the Viking expansion. Are you referring to Medieval 1?

Frunk
    Yes I tried this with mtw1. Couldn't do the solution that removes the update because that's specifically for win7. Rome gold and mtw2 run just fine as long I use compatibility mode. Other old games don't seem to be affected by the safedisc issue(old civ games, age of empires, baldurs gate). I haven't tested all the games I have, but so far the problem only appears with mtw1.

Laetus

Oh, by the way, removing the update did work for mtw1 back when I had a laptop that ran on w7.

GM207's Avatar Decanus

Hello Frunk, thank you so much for trying to help us out here, but I have just recently decided to play Rome Total War again, and to my surprise the game is not launching at all, its not even attempting to, so after some research I found your thread, and tried looking for Microsoft update KB3086255 just like the video above showed, but strangely enough its not there! so if that update was never installed! then why would the game refuse to start? am I missing something here?
    Using windows 7 64bit
    Also I looked under C:\Windows\System32\drivers and looked for secdrv.sys, its still there! I don't understand why its not working, I'm not a computer geek could I have maybe deactivated it somehow?
    Any help is very well appreciated, will you help a Hardcore, Rome Total War, original Gold CD case, None steam version veteran?
    Last edited by GM207; April 10, 2019 at 06:11 PM.

hello, i tried the "The cool new solution (for Windows 10 users)" for medieval II total war, but it didn't work, i have windows 10 and i think to have the old standard version of the game with 2 CD; obviusly I also tryed all compatibility assettes, but they didn't work... what i can to do rather than steam?
    thank you for your help and your time :-)

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician Moderator Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Blog Entries

Considering that the game on steam is free (including the kingdoms expansion) if you have your product key that would be the most feasible option in your case, seeing that the usual fixes did not work.

Okay so yesterday was a day entirely devoted to getting RTW 1.2 to work on my Win7 Laptop and my Win10 desktop. I finally stumbled upon this last night. The cool way didn’t work.. has it worked for anyone?
    The windows 7 fix took forever.. so I got tired and went to bed. When I woke up it was finished and to my surprise it worked!

Why am I trying to get an archaic version working? So that I can play the old mods!

Default Re: Total War games will no longer work at all

Quote Originally Posted by Leonardo View Post
    Just buy Rome Anthology, the retail version, and AFAIK the SafeDisc/Securom protection is no longer present since I could play RTW without having the disc inserted into my DVD device.
    I know i am replying to an old post.

I have tried to research how to get a hold of the Rome Anthology retail edition, i looked at amazon, ebay and found a youtube video of it (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4pvxUS1p9E) and they all indicate that it requires steam to install and play. This seems to defeat any notion of playing the game without using steam.

If anyone have reports on whether or not the Anthology edition can be played without steam or not it would be helpful.

For anyone wondering why i am bumbing this old thread, it is because i have serious performance issues with the steam version of Rome Total War, and i have seen reports that the performance issues were introduced after the last RTW steam 1.51 patch. With no way to roll the patch back the only way to fix the performance issue is to get a hold of a working version of the Rome Total War retail version.
    Last edited by Tarsus999; June 05, 2020 at 12:27 AM.

Laetus

This is an ageing thread but contains wrong info. Namely, no-cd cracks are NOT in themselves illegal - at least ones specifically circumventing defunct DRMs are not illegal - and haven't been illegal for many years, even in the US since 2015, years before Frunk posted. See this article:
    https://news.softpedia.com/news/it-s-now-legal-to-use-no-cd-crack-for-games-with-dead-drm-servers-495495.shtml

The US ruling in full is here:
    https://copyright.gov/1201/2015/fedreg-publicinspectionFR.pdf

It covers games and other software, and films etc, etc. The ruling drags the US somewhat closer towards European rulings (which were carried over in post-Brexit UK, btw) which already protect the end-user as permanent owner of purchased physical versions of software (see the UsedSoft legal saga, which Ubisoft and other companies fought against in the courts for many years and eventually lost, in 2020).

In short, if you own a piece of a software you physically purchased on a disc, you have the right to use that software, and even to sell it - and if you currently own it and defunct DRM is blocking you, you have the right to circumvent defunct DRM via a no-CD crack.

Of course, various cracks can also be used illegally on pirated games, but it is not all and any cracks which are illegal, it is the type of crack and use to which that crack is put which may be illegal. A simple no-CD crack is not illegal if you own a legit physical copy of the game and the said crack is to circumvent a defunct DRM...

...But all this is why most games companies want you to use Steam etc, where you no longer buy ownership of the game but merely a licence to install and use the software. That means you don't technically own anything physical, but merely hold a user's licence - a licence which isn't even permanent!

Which is the main problem I have with Steam: I've got games I still play, like RedBaron 3D (on Windows XP) and Combat Misson series (Beyond Overlord, et al, on Windows 7), that are 20 to 24yrs old, and my favourite Medieval 2: Total War is 16yrs old. Now, can you promise me that if I "bought" a Windows 10 game's licence on Steam today, that in 16 to 24yrs time Steam will still be around or still support Windows 10 activation if I needed to re-install or move the the game to another machine? And if not that the game's maker will still be around to provide some other activation? Can you even promise me that in 5yrs time Steam will still provide support for activating on Windows 7? No, you cannot. In that scenario (which for me is very likely because I've done it many times already with old DVD-bought games), I'd be screwed. Hence, a Steam purchase is not buying a game at all but merely a rental - a temporary operating licence until my current machine fails or Steam drops support.

And the past is littered with defunct DRMs and defunct on-line activations (eg GFWL, and some games company ones). That is why, wherever possible, I buy physical copies of games or buy them from GOG where I can at least download and forever own a DRM-free copy of the software.

As to questions like that from Tarsus999 (see post above mine), if you buy any games on CD/DVD, make sure you get the physical versions, not the steam-activated ones. And make sure beforehand that you have researched/obtained the means to get said game to run on your operating system, if indeed any such steps need to be taken. Otherwise, you'll probably need to buy the GOG or Steam version.
    Last edited by streety; August 08, 2022 at 04:41 AM.

Dismounted Feudal Knight's Avatar my horse for a unicode
    Content Director Citizen

Blog Entries

Thanks for mentioning this, I've updated the OP with an allowance for this case after reviewing the TOS and discussing with other staff. If other information is obsolete or doesn't work, please let us know. We'll be able to see and respond faster if you report the post or drop us a message as well.
    With great power, comes great chonky dragons to feed enemies of the state. --Targaryens?
    Spoiler for wait what dragons?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123