Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The SafeDisc Issue affecting older Total War games

Default Re: The SafeDisc Issue affecting older Total War games

I uninstalled the update and then M2TW started working again, only later it stopped once again and now i keep uninstalling and reinstalling both M2TW and the KB3086255 update and the game still doesn't launch. I just click and a blue circle appears next to the mouse for 2-3 seconds then....nothing. Checked the task manager and nothing pops up in the background either. I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate.

Diocle's Avatar Comes Limitis

I've the first copies of RTW-BI (3+1 DVDs) and of Med2 (2 DVDs), I tried all the solutions but .. nothing is working for me, so, since I don't like illegal software on my machine (at least this kind of illegal gaming stuff) I've purchased the Steam version of RTW and .. problem solved! So, I'll buy also the Steam version of Med2; I don't like Steam and I don't like what Steam is doing to the modding community, but .. I can survive.

That said, let me say that the BEST SOLUTION would be that CA/SEGA give us a small Patch fixing the issues of their own gaming software, it would be a sign of good disposition and kindness toward the customers, and it would also be a good reason for me to avoid seeing them as a band of bastard brigands, spending their time stealing my money, for if your product is causing problems to the customers, which have put their money into it, YOU MUST GIVE THEM A SOLUTION, if you don't do it, you are just a thief, because exploiting a issue caused by your own software you force people to purchase for the second or third time your product: this is called FRAUD. End of the story.

Frunk's Avatar Form Follows Function
    Artifex took an arrow to the knee

tzara95's issue is not directly related to the SafeDisc Issue and thus has been split into its own thread (click here).

Sorry to hear that the various solutions have not worked for a few of you.

A patch would be fantastic, but I don't hold out much hope.

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

If you have valid key codes for the disks then you can simply convert them to steam - the tutorial is only for M2TW (confirmed by installing myself) but I would assume it's the same for RTW (haven't tried it yet):

Creating a World - Converting Install Disk to Steam
    Last edited by Gigantus; October 31, 2016 at 11:22 PM.

Leonardo's Avatar Reborn Old Timer

Default Re: Total War games will no longer work at all

Quote Originally Posted by Gäiten View Post
    RTW Gold edition.
    Just buy Rome Anthology, the retail version, and AFAIK the SafeDisc/Securom protection is no longer present since I could play RTW without having the disc inserted into my DVD device.
    Last edited by Leonardo; December 02, 2016 at 11:34 AM.
    Under patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader.

How to make Morrowind less buggy for new players - Of course every player may find it useful.

marcp's Avatar Libertus

I had installed my old M2TW dvd+Kingdoms just about two weeks ago and the game fired up on my win10 laptop. I DL'd SS6.4 so hadn't played Med. vanilla. Two days ago big win10 update and I lost all my save games and had to readjust kingdoms back to vista service pack 2 and then only I run it from the exe. from the dvd will it play. I will have to pull put my med. grand. camp. disc to see if it will work but after reading this I doubt it.

+rep for keeping this in your sig. Frunk, hopefully I will be able to get it to play.

Also,before I found my org. retail M2tw disc I ordered a DvD collection of Rome2Gold, Med2tw+K, Empire and Napoleon off amazon which runs only off steam. I am of same mind of those who don't fancy steam and see fraud through the trees but for the 18 dollars or so I spent I went ahead and got it. If I cannot run Med2 I will revert to installing it but it isn't a best case scenario fix from where I stand.

marcp's Avatar Libertus

Wow, so many typos, should have gone advance reply...hope the gist is there though

Blog Entries

Save games shouldn't be lost unless they are physically deleted or the game version\files changes - that should not have been the case. What error messages are you getting on game start up? Normally only the Grand campaign is affected by the SafeDisk issue, the kingdom campaigns (use of kingdoms.exe instead of medieval2.exe) should not be affected.

Quote Originally Posted by Leonardo View Post
    Just buy Rome Anthology, the retail version, and AFAIK the SafeDisc/Securom protection is no longer present since I could play RTW without having the disc inserted into my DVD device.
    Thanks for the info. I'll add that to the OP soon.

Quote Originally Posted by marcp View Post
    I had installed my old M2TW dvd+Kingdoms just about two weeks ago and the game fired up on my win10 laptop. I DL'd SS6.4 so hadn't played Med. vanilla. Two days ago big win10 update and I lost all my save games and had to readjust kingdoms back to vista service pack 2 and then only I run it from the exe. from the dvd will it play. I will have to pull put my med. grand. camp. disc to see if it will work but after reading this I doubt it.

+rep for keeping this in your sig. Frunk, hopefully I will be able to get it to play.

Also,before I found my org. retail M2tw disc I ordered a DvD collection of Rome2Gold, Med2tw+K, Empire and Napoleon off amazon which runs only off steam. I am of same mind of those who don't fancy steam and see fraud through the trees but for the 18 dollars or so I spent I went ahead and got it. If I cannot run Med2 I will revert to installing it but it isn't a best case scenario fix from where I stand.
    Glad I could help! Let us know how you go.

Quote Originally Posted by marcp View Post
    Wow, so many typos, should have gone advance reply...hope the gist is there though
    Not a problem. You'll be able to edit your posts (and give reps) once you've made a total of 25 posts.
    Last edited by Frunk; December 04, 2016 at 06:23 AM.

alQamar's Avatar Citizen

Hello Frunk, thanks for the great article about the Safedisc Issue.

I would like to add 2 more things that may help:

1. Anyone that has got a Rome 1 CD Key (legacy / physical copy) is able to enter this CD key in Steam to obtain a Steam Copy of Rome 1 Gold. Same is possible for Medieval 2 Keys. So you could actually circumvent the issue by using the Steam version.
    However the users should be aware about the limitations. With the shutdown of Gamespy, the version on Steam is no longer compatible with the non Steam Version (1.5 BI, respectively 1.6 for Alexander). This may affect mods, but definitely affects the multiplayer of no longer being compatible to the legacy non Steam version.

2. HazardHawk and me wrote a how-to guide for people that might run into issues to get Rome 1 (Steam) running on Windows 10, due to the fact that the game will fail to create a proper preferences.txt due to unknown reasons.

here is the guide http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=469123565

Hope this aids to the OP.

3. I would like to invite you to repost solutions on this very alive topic, or backlink TWC:
    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...d-6b1ce61d40d4
    Last edited by alQamar; January 02, 2017 at 04:33 AM.
    NEW: Total War Saga: Britannia benchmark thread - last update: 10.05.2018
    HOW-TO-step-up-from-MBR-CSM-LEGACY-BOOT-to-UEFI-GPT
    Many of my past contributions in the time from 2011-2017 will contain content that now show broken links. Unfortunately I had to delete all pictures linked on TWC that were hosted on imageshack.us. Read why
    If you are missing anything of interest, please let me know. Sorry for any inconvinience caused.

Thanks alQamar! (and thanks for the sig link!) I'll check those things out and update this soon.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by alQamar View Post
    2. HazardHawk and me wrote a how-to guide for people that might run into issues to get Rome 1 (Steam) running on Windows 10, due to the fact that the game will fail to create a proper preferences.txt due to unknown reasons.
    I have been having some very informed exchanges with him in Steam's M2TW forum - knowledgeable and helpful fellow.

alQamar's Avatar Citizen

Yes HazardHawk is really a great person! Certainly a platin member from the Altruan Faction. Hope you get what I mean.
    Frunk, I think it would be fair enough to request an update of the Scriptorium article, once you have tried the new things out.
    Regardless, there have been some important additions and changes in your OP since then.
    Last edited by alQamar; January 08, 2017 at 11:59 AM.
    NEW: Total War Saga: Britannia benchmark thread - last update: 10.05.2018
    HOW-TO-step-up-from-MBR-CSM-LEGACY-BOOT-to-UEFI-GPT
    Many of my past contributions in the time from 2011-2017 will contain content that now show broken links. Unfortunately I had to delete all pictures linked on TWC that were hosted on imageshack.us. Read why
    If you are missing anything of interest, please let me know. Sorry for any inconvinience caused.

hey frunk, i have read all of it but i didnt see the right way to do it so i didnt understand it right

do you have something i can connect you with so u can help me better ? like fb or kik anything....

I have recently installed Medieval 2 Total War on my Windows 7 and i have read everything here and i did it but still i just click on it to play at and just balck screen comes out and wont start idk can anyone help here plzz!!!
    Last edited by Frunk; January 21, 2017 at 06:10 AM. Reason: Posts merged for continuity.

♔atthias♔'s Avatar dutch speaking
    Citizen

Default Re: Can't Get Medieval 2 Total War to start

Quote Originally Posted by aws008 View Post
    hey frunk, i have read all of it but i didnt see the right way to do it so i didnt understand it right

do you have something i can connect you with so u can help me better ? like fb or kik anything....
    look here
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...-BACK-ON-LINE*
    scroll down and click on the box sending a private message
    Rise of Mordor 3D Modelers Wanted
    Total War - Rise of Mordor
    Are you a 3D Environment and Character artist, or a Character Animator?

If yes, then the Rise of Mordor team linked above is looking for you!
    Massive Overhaul Submod Units!
    D you want some units back in MOS 1.7? Install this mod http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...n-1-1-RELEASED
    It adds back units who were deleted from the campaign in MOS 1.7, namely the Winged Swordsmen, the Citadel Guard Archers and the Gondor Dismounted Bodyguard.

Under the proud patronage of
    Frunk of the house of Siblesz

Default Re: Can't Get Medieval 2 Total War to start

Quote Originally Posted by aws008 View Post

I have recently installed Medieval 2 Total War on my Windows 7 and i have read everything here and i did it but still i just click on it to play at and just balck screen comes out and wont start idk can anyone help here plzz!!!
    You can PM me on here like atthias suggested if you wish, but it's easiest to just use this thread.

Basically, the guide has a few different solutions, from which you can choose.

We can work out which solution suits you best by answering some questions.

Firstly, do you own the Kingdoms expansion pack?

Microsoft's KB3086255 page, mentioned by Frunk in the first post, contains fairly clear instructions for editing the Registry to reactivate secdrv.sys (change the '4' to a '2' and I think you then have to reboot). This is what I did a while ago (Win 7 64 bit) to get Rome Total War working again (EB I also works, too). It is actually very easy.

Hi, I have a similar problem with Medieval 2 + kingdoms (steam version). When I try to start the game, only intro screen will appear and then it freezes. I have a windows 10 64-bit. Few days ago I received an update of my nvidia driver (NVIDIA - Display - 5/1/2017 12:00:00 AM - 22.21.13.8205). Not sure if this is the problem, but I guess so. Before the update the game runs just fine. I tried to reinstall M2 and steam several times, sadly with no effect.
    Can anyone help me with this problem?

Hi glidintor!

Considering that you use the Steam version of the game, it's unlikely that your problem is related to SafeDisc, so I've copied your post into a new thread here in the Medieval 2 Tech Help section.

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...Steam-version)

Cheers,
    Frunk
    Last edited by Frunk; June 04, 2017 at 07:04 AM.

Hey, let me start with complementing you on the nice guide you made, it's very clear. I'm abroad for a few months, and I didn't bring my games with me. Unfortunately, steam doesn't work due to some sort of internet restriction at the places where I work and live, so there is no way for me to acces my games from there. As I really wanted to play M2TW again, I bought a DVD version online for a few bucks. Few days later, it was delivered and I installed it on my laptop. Didn't work. After some googling I found your guide. I tried "the very easy solution" and "the cool new solution" (I have windows 10). The un-cool solution was not an option for me since I cannot acces steam. It took me a nice evening of trying things and cursing at my laptop, all with no succes. I was about to surrender and accept the fact that I wouldn't be able to play this gem, but then I tried the "Not a solution". I know, I know, by saying that, I am on the edge of what is allowed by the forum rules, so I'll leave it at that. But since I have a legal version of the game, tried all the normal things, and the game creators also do not provide a solution, I hope you will forgive me
    Last edited by Frunk; June 10, 2017 at 09:11 AM. Reason: PIA.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast