Thread: What's up with Carlos II?

caralampio's Avatar Magnificus

Default What's up with Carlos II?

I started a game as Spain and noticed right away that king Carlos II is much worse than in vanilla. He has -5 to management and -5 to prestige. But the weird thing is that he has a trait that supposedly gives him 100% chance of dying at the end of the turn, and he's 139 years old! But, he isn't dying. My Carlos just turned 140. As a joke, it's really bad. This is supposed to be Empire Realism. Carlos II was quite easy to live with in vanilla, drooling and all. Here, it ruins Spain as a faction.
    Last edited by caralampio; September 09, 2015 at 09:17 PM.

Default Re: What's up with Carlos II?

Carlos was not exactly known for being able ruler and while it's form of railroading, the purpose is to replicate the initial situation that led to the Spanish War of Succession.

Unfortunately the only way to ensure he dies within few years is to exaggerate it beyond ridicule.

Domesticus

I havent played this mod, but besides your Carlos II being ageless, its historically accurate that he was in VERY bad shape, mentailly and physically disabled. As noted, it can also lead to role playing the War of the Spanish Succession

I will say though, in other mods he does seem to live much longer than a man with those traits should....maybe its his spirit come from beyond the grave, to make him have a successful reign, alibiet in a game

Well, it's all how this mod starpos is scripted for Spain. Spain in Carlos II time it was pretty much a sort of confederation of Kingdoms. So yes Carlos II unfortunated was a really sick and dim witted man that wasn't supposed to reign, he didnt even have a proper education to be King. Now Spain had major issues, bad taxes, corrupt officials and each Kingdom of Spain pulling assest for their own gain. I can't say for sure, but if IR wants to make it more realist, Carlos II should be dying soon, and Spain in the brink of revolution heading into an absolute Monarchy. If not than you must spark your own revolution and kick Carlos II out of power.

It does ensure Carlos II dies within few years. Sometimes it takes one or two turns, sometimes maybe 6-15 turns (aka 2 to 5 years of mod's time) but it will happen pretty soon usually.

At least it does not roll back to child like in Rome 1 if general or diplomat became too old and the game overflowed the age.

OK that straightens it. I thought that the trait might be broken. What's this about a war of succession? Something new of this mod, or just the general chance of getting a declaration of war from some other power claiming the throne?

Domesticus

As I said, I dont know this mod, but theres probably not a script for the war

In real life, King Carlos II died in 1700. He supposedly made a will where his successor was, IIRC, Philip of Anjou of France, who was also in line for the throne of France. Now, Carlos was a disabled man, and its very possible that will was faked.

Now obviously, this ticked off the Hapsburgs of Austria. Thus began the War of the Spanish Succession, which lasted from 1700 to 1714,

and on a neat note, it was the peak of the Golden Age of Piracy and Privateering. Blackbeard was originally a Privateer for England!

Some of my information might be off, im just going by memory here

Yes, Carlos II just died in my game and the war triggered. Spain is now at war with about 8 countries. Very historical, but very challenging too! After all this I must say, nicely done. I have changed my first impression.

Vaessili's Avatar Foederatus

Taking about kings, queens and realism:

Is it possible, at some point, to modify faction's ruler age? Before or when they inherit the crown?

At the beginning of each faction campaign, each King/Queen name and age are accurate but when playing with France for example, when Louis XIV dies (between 1707 and 1720 mostly - He actually died 3 days before his 77th Birthday in 1715) Louis XV is already 50/60 year old. Tho Louis XV was actually 5 when he get the crown

What's wrong with Carlos II? LOL. He's horrifically inbred...

Quote Originally Posted by caralampio View Post
    Yes, Carlos II just died in my game and the war triggered. Spain is now at war with about 8 countries. Very historical, but very challenging too! After all this I must say, nicely done. I have changed my first impression.
    I've started a game as Sweden with the 5.0 patch, Carlos II died, but the Spanish war of Succession didn't seem to kick of. Has it been removed from the mod?

nope, it wasnt.