Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: [VIDEO] Petellius's Video Previews - Naval combat video 1/29

Default Re: [PREVIEW] Petellius's Video Previews - Naval combat video 1/29

Think that might be a tad too advanced xD
    Vespasian's own: Up the Augusta! For Cato!

AE: Battle Balancing and BAI.

It is possible to do custom formations for different cultures. And to restrict who gets what. Frankly, for the AI, it may be better not to give so many options of formations. Though, in terms of creating new ones, there aren't many I could think to add.

Yeah then maybe just culture wise but would have been cool to have some sort of general time script, Where only a X-amount of real generals use different formation's during the time they really used those formations so that when you fight the same general over more time you him used a different formation he used before. And culture wise for the normal army,s or all ofcourse if it's not possible to add a small script that add's a new formation to use for specific generals over time.
    --------> http://play0ad.com <--------
    OS: Win 7 64bit Ultimate // MOB: GA-990FXA-UD5 // CPU: AMD FX-8350 BE Eight-Core 4,70Ghz OC // WC: CM Nepton_280L // Memory: 16GB 1866Mhz // GPU: Nvidea GTX 780 ti 3GB // SC: SB X-Fi Titanium HD // SS: Creative T20 Series II // Monitors: Asus 27" 1ms , Asus 24'' 4ms //
    HDD: 1TB // SSD: 128GB // SSD: 240GB // External: 3TB

Petellius got a question about naval. Are you guys also going to do something like DeI with transport ships and do have barbarian ships sales like in Atilla vanilla? plus i would love to see some sort of supply system.
    OS: Win 7 64bit Ultimate // MOB: GA-990FXA-UD5 // CPU: AMD FX-8350 BE Eight-Core 4,70Ghz OC // WC: CM Nepton_280L // Memory: 16GB 1866Mhz // GPU: Nvidea GTX 780 ti 3GB // SC: SB X-Fi Titanium HD // SS: Creative T20 Series II // Monitors: Asus 27" 1ms , Asus 24'' 4ms //

Supply system is being worked on (I think, not too sure), not sure what you mean about the transport ships but I don't see why we couldn't have sails on the barb ships.

Some cool animations that will unfortunately, never see the light of day.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

How so Won't they see the day of light? is it because of no room for those formations? if so then can you add them for some unit types only"like spear" or something..

It's because if you do that then the the second row formation removes the raised shields for the testudo. As such it would kinda ruin testudos. I did make one for barbarians thinking it could be a shieldwall type thing but apparently they didnt really do that in our period.

I see, And yes the barbarians did not used those formations in ancient times!

maybe I could give it to that last kingdom mod

Garensterz's Avatar Senator

Would be much better if you could make the third rank raise their shield high up. But still, this is way better than the vanilla shield wall

But seriously speaking. We really need to see CA put these kinds of formations for the next (that involves swords and shields)Total War title. They have gone flat on ideas when it comes to formation battles.
    Last edited by Garensterz; May 01, 2016 at 07:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Garensterz View Post
    Would be much better if you could make the third rank raise their shield high up. But still, this is way better than the vanilla shield wall

But seriously speaking. We really need to see CA put these kinds of formations for the next (that involves swords and shields)Total War title. They have gone flat on ideas when it comes to formation battles.
    Yeah unfortunately I can only edit the first two, it might be possible to do something like that with the defensive testudo but I doubt it.

I always thought the decks of marine ships were rather cluttered in rome 2/attila. I'd prefer a slow trickle of marines from below deck, enough to staff the port and starboard with a shield wall/skirmishers as opposed to them all standing on the deck in a big clump being shot at by skirmishers on other ships. It would also be nice to have skirmishers tied to the ships which do not leave, staying behind and throwing their pointy sticks independantly whilst the boarders do their work. When landing or boarding of course, the unit would all report to the top deck but otherwise mostly stay below out of harm's way. I don't know if something like this is possible though.

We can't actually edit things like that, it's all hard coded.

Three questions:
    1. Can you give all graeco-roman ships the ram ability like in Rome 2, as opposed to only ramming ships having it in Attila?
    2. Why do the cavalry stop when charging the heavy infantry in the video on the first page?
    3. is t possible to have chariots in Attila? We need Briton chariots and Pontic scythed chariots!

Not sure yet, might have to do some scripting.
    They stop because cav don't enjoy charging at a big wall of shields and pointy stabby things.
    Britons already have chariots.

I can see what you mean about the cavalry stopping, but I don't think they should be unable to charge at all, as this means that in late game, fighting against civilised factions, cavalry will be utterly useless. Maybe make it so that light cavalry will stop, but heavier cavalry will still charge. After all, a unit of Hellenic cataphracts would't stop when they saw a unit of roman heavy infantry.
    Great to hear that you already have chariots!

They arent useless at all, most of the time some will still successfully charge and they can fight well in melee. Most of all, however, cavalry is used for indirect attacks, so target the rear or sides of heavier units.

Quote Originally Posted by wrath of germania View Post
    I can see what you mean about the cavalry stopping, but I don't think they should be unable to charge at all, as this means that in late game, fighting against civilised factions, cavalry will be utterly useless. Maybe make it so that light cavalry will stop, but heavier cavalry will still charge. After all, a unit of Hellenic cataphracts would't stop when they saw a unit of roman heavy infantry.
    Great to hear that you already have chariots!
    Generally speaking, cavalry is very different between AE and vanilla. Charges do not cause kills, really. In reality, cavalry charges were only successful if the infantry block they were charging broke up before contact.

From the MP battles I played on the team, I think this is something that AE demonstrates well. Charges do not cause a lot of kills, but a charge against a tired or scared unit can be very good at breaking them into routing.
    modificateurs sans frontières

Developer for Ancient Empires
    (scripter, developed tools for music modding, tools to import custom battle maps into campaign)

Lead developer of Attila Citizenship Population Mod
    (joint 1st place for Gameplay Mods in 2016 Modding Awards)

Assisted with RMV2 Converter
    (2nd place for Warscape Engine Resources in 2016 Modding Awards)

Willhelm123's Avatar Decanus

A 500kg horse hitting you at 25 mph will have a good chance of outright killing you. Our charges do kill on impact but they don't wipe out the entire formation, if they are formed up, like in vanilla or other mods.
    AE Dev, mainly units