Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: [VIDEO] Petellius's Video Previews - Naval combat video 1/29

Default Re: [Preview] Petellius's Video Updates and Previews

Quote Originally Posted by Garensterz View Post
    Ok lets talk about the the dynamic cavalry charge bugs possibilities.

For example what if you have a heavy infantry unit fighting another unit, then an enemy cav charged home to the rear of your (that remains fighting) heavy unit. While the charging cav gets closer, what if you suddenly anticipated the charge and immediately faced your units to where the charging cav were heading? However, your unit is not completely reformed still. Would the cav charge still be successful in that situation?
    Probably about half and half. Unless they are fully braced some cavalry will always charge home (this is especially important for units that have precursor missiles as they don't brace). Don't forget even if the charge doesn't hit home, cavalry with lances and spears will still have the initial advantage over sword infantry.
    Vespasian's own: Up the Augusta! For Cato!

AE: Battle Balancing and BAI.

Garensterz's Avatar Senator

When you say fully braced, is that when units switches to a fighting stance when enemies comes close? Or is it a formation button like the "hoplite phalanx"?

Don't forget even if the charge doesn't hit home, cavalry with lances and spears will still have the initial advantage over sword infantry.
    So even heavy infantry will get wrecked by cav lancers, even though they didn't get into a charge phase?

Quote Originally Posted by Garensterz View Post
    When you say fully braced, is that when units switches to a fighting stance when enemies comes close? Or is it a formation button like the "hoplite phalanx"?

So even heavy infantry will get wrecked by cav lancers, even though they didn't get into a charge phase?
    It's AE, no unit ever truly get's 'wrecked' but the cavalry unit should easily hold its own. If the infantry it is fighting isn't well trained then it will be scared of the horses anyway and will likely flee if it gets many casualties.

Cesco's Avatar Decanus

Quote Originally Posted by Petellius View Post
    Reduced but not solved. In any case as I've managed to force the ai to replace its units through the routing mechanics you can now replace men in this brief period of quiet.
    If you don't mind me asking, could i have you more info about this?
    I'm stuck once again in this problem and i'm trying to find a way to solve it...
    did you modified some scripts?
    Huic ab adulescentia bella intestina, caedes, rapinae, discordia civilis grata fuerunt ibique iuventutem suam exercuit

Quote Originally Posted by Cesco View Post
    If you don't mind me asking, could i have you more info about this?
    I'm stuck once again in this problem and i'm trying to find a way to solve it...
    did you modified some scripts?
    I wish I could help but Im having trouble too xD It no longer works like it used to and I have no idea how I did it in the first place.

Cesco's Avatar Decanus

That's a shame

If Rome 2 had a quality, it was the fact you could relief your tired units allowing for a more deep tactical gameplay. I really can't understamd (assuming it was intentional) why they decided to change that.

A brilliant way to bypass this problem would be to create a formation wich could make soldiers walk backward, though i'm afraid it's not possible. But that would be great.
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...5#post14776745

anyway, if you find a solution, please let me know. Good luck
    Huic ab adulescentia bella intestina, caedes, rapinae, discordia civilis grata fuerunt ibique iuventutem suam exercuit

Quote Originally Posted by Cesco View Post
    That's a shame

If Rome 2 had a quality, it was the fact you could relief your tired units allowing for a more deep tactical gameplay. I really can't understamd (assuming it was intentional) why they decided to change that.

A brilliant way to bypass this problem would be to create a formation wich could make soldiers walk backward, though i'm afraid it's not possible. But that would be great.
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...5#post14776745

anyway, if you find a solution, please let me know. Good luck
    Oh I would love that. I really want to have the ability to make wavering or exhausted troops step slowly backwards from combat. Btw I think I get what you mean. You meant the pulling out of combat or making routing units survive. Well the only way I could preserve units that routed was to reduce the charge speed to be lower than the running speed. We are experimenting with additional scripts right now but so far we've had no success but hopefully we'll have a breakthrough soon.

Cesco's Avatar Decanus

Yes, you get it.
    I'm not an expert of scripting (i barely have an idea of what a script is) but i think that, if there is a solution to this (beside making a "step backward formation"), it must lie among the scripts. Good work.

Discussion on Charlemagne DLC, my dissatisfaction with Attila and my own ideals for AE's future.

Cesco's Avatar Decanus

Oh I would love that. I really want to have the ability to make wavering or exhausted troops step slowly backwards from combat. Btw I think I get what you mean. You meant the pulling out of combat or making routing units survive. Well the only way I could preserve units that routed was to reduce the charge speed to be lower than the running speed. We are experimenting with additional scripts right now but so far we've had no success but hopefully we'll have a breakthrough soon.

Hi Petelius, i bother you with this argoument once again.
    In the past week i've been experimenting in this field and i managed to get some satisfactory results by greatly decreasing hit rate value in kv_rules table (or the "hit_chances" values, wich seem to have a similar effect). It seems to work both for cavalry, wich can retreat from combat with less casualties, and infantry, wich can relief a tired unit from combat (like in Rome 2).
    I don't think this is the solution to the core of the problem, but it gets some interesting results. Good work.

Default Re: [PREVIEW] Petellius's Video Updates and Previews

yeah we did some similar work.

Dear modders,

The retreating armies have lower stats in the DB. Speed, morale, fatigue, etc. This is where you want to edit and reduce the losses. Ask juniad the bodemloze.

Kind regards,
    OD

Hey Opus, we actually just developed a script that removes those penalties, we sped them up and gave them armour, works well.

Hey Opus, we actually just developed a script that removes those penalties, we sped them up and gave them armour, works well.
    Hey, as a former Rome 2 scripter I'm wondering how you can do battle scripting.

As far as I remember, scripting was reversed solely for the campaign and historical/tutorial battles, with no way for scripts to modify custom or campaign battles. Is this a new feature of Attila, something I simply missed in Rome 2, or am I misunderstanding completely?

To be clear, I'm talking about scripting using an actual (A.K.A turing complete) scripting language, not db modifications.
    modificateurs sans frontières

Developer for Ancient Empires
    (scripter, developed tools for music modding, tools to import custom battle maps into campaign)

Lead developer of Attila Citizenship Population Mod
    (joint 1st place for Gameplay Mods in 2016 Modding Awards)

Assisted with RMV2 Converter
    (2nd place for Warscape Engine Resources in 2016 Modding Awards)

You'd have to ask radsix. He engineers the scripts. I just ask him to do the impossible and he does it xD

You'd have to ask radsix. He engineers the scripts. I just ask him to do the impossible and he does it xD
    Ok! Thanks for the info.

I've excitedly awaiting the mod
    modificateurs sans frontières

Developer for Ancient Empires
    (scripter, developed tools for music modding, tools to import custom battle maps into campaign)

Lead developer of Attila Citizenship Population Mod
    (joint 1st place for Gameplay Mods in 2016 Modding Awards)

Assisted with RMV2 Converter
    (2nd place for Warscape Engine Resources in 2016 Modding Awards)

Hey guys, so just a quick update. So thanks to ABH's invaluable help as always I now have our first naval units set up! So far its just a test of 240 men of Hastati, Principes, Triarii and Velites split into three trireme transports of 80-100 men. So with this latest development alongside the new fantastic Carthage map done by Doomon, I guess there is only one thing to say.

Ships
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Plus Carthage

= Remake?

I better get recording, I mean, this isn't 'pre-alpha' anymore...
    Last edited by Petellius; January 17, 2016 at 05:12 PM.

Create the sails for the ships.

Excellent!
    Shogun 2, no thanks I will stick with Kingdoms SS.

Quote Originally Posted by Tenerife_Boy View Post
    Create the sails for the ships.
    We'll try, not sure if it will work though, is it really that big a deal to you guys?