Thread: The Worst Ending Ever!

Default The Worst Ending Ever!

I just got back into Medieval and this was my second attempt with the Saxons.. The first attempt failed as the Mercians got too strong and overwhelmed me, and my provinces kept revolting with rebels.. (on hard setting).

I learned from this on my second go and kept upgrading my regions to stockades and recruiting some peasants, etc. My empire was expanding, expanding gloriously (richest kingdom).. I killed off the Mercians, and had almost killed off the Welsh. The Northumbrians didn't look so strong. I thought I was approaching end game.

Then, I suddenly got a message saying that my King had died from illness and that I had no heirs. Boom! End of game!

Axalon's Avatar She-Hulk wills it!

Default Re: The Worst Ending Ever!

Yup, that truly sucks and its poor (and incompetent) game-design, if you ask me... I cant really see how that supposed "feature" actually serves MTW1 in a favorable way as a game. Personally, I never approved of that part of that game and as a result I constantly use the "unfreeze-cheat" to bypass that crap as much as possible (as it is all hardcoded). Same with the marriages, I never approved of that nonsense either and so I happily use debug mode to just bypass that too. Both were absent in STW1, and it is clearly better off as a game because of it... After all, I don't play any TW to broker some damn marriages or to worry about (almost) pointless kings and their ridiculous children/heirs that barely lasts beyond 20-30 turns anyhow (generally speaking). Play some damn Sims-game for that crap! Yes, it is a bit simplified, but the sentiment should be plain enough for all to see anyhow. This is Total War! Not kindergarten or baby-fest!

Anyways, that is what I think...

- A

Frunk's Avatar Form Follows Function
    took an arrow to the knee

Default Re: The Worst Ending Ever!

I think that's a totally unfair assessment. It's perfectly believable historically for a lineage to die out, so why complain when it happens in-game? The mechanics are a bit clunky, but you should have worked harder to ensure your royal line was secure.