Thread: Culture Penalty

Default Culture Penalty

JMJ -

A question that I have had since I started playing Rome: TW; when I conquer a city, should I destroy the buildings that are from the other culture? For example; in Carthage, should I destroy the buildings that have (Carthaginian) written after the name? Not speaking of the ones that I can build Roman buildings 'over'. Like a shrine that is to a Carthaginian god, or some of the bonus buildings that they had that I can't build.

If I leave these buildings will I be left with a culture penalty? If I destroy them will it ever go away?

YBIC
    Mike

Default Re: Culture Penalty

There is no simple answer to your question.
    You need to study the effects of each building.

In general you should not destroy foreign temples, because many of their benefits will last after conquest. The ancient polytheistic world was very tolerant and the Romans and Greeks were particularly eager to discover new gods in foreign lands. Quite the opposite of current ISIS practice! So let the people continue worship their ancient gods and add some of your own.

There may be a few exceptions from this rule, especially with some monotheistic gods, but even in these cases I wouldn't recommend the destruction of temples, because it might even worsen the situation.

Things may be different with some political institutions, such as tyranny. But even here you need to study the building effects, because some nations will benefit from a tyranny and others will get a penalty. Some buildings have different effects in different areas. A tyranny in the Peloponnese will be positive for Macedon, but negative for the Achaeans, and in Sicily things may even be the other way round.
    Last edited by Philadelphos; September 08, 2015 at 09:25 AM.
    Creator of Rome Total History
    Rome 2 sucks, EB, RS and RTR were yesterday...
    Don't you feel like it's time to move on?
    Explore the ancient world, fight epic battles,
    conquer beautiful queens and princesses...
    Try a new groundbreaking mod:
    Experience Rome Total History!
    Play RTH or wait for Rome 3!

JMJ -

Cool, thanks for the info.

YBIC
    Mike

The best way to reduce the culture penalty is to upgrade the core building: governor's house > villa > palace, etc.
    Creator of Rome Total History
    Rome 2 sucks, EB, RS and RTR were yesterday...
    Don't you feel like it's time to move on?
    Explore the ancient world, fight epic battles,
    conquer beautiful queens and princesses...
    Try a new groundbreaking mod:
    Experience Rome Total History!
    Play RTH or wait for Rome 3!

Quote Originally Posted by Philadelphos View Post
    The best way to reduce the culture penalty is to upgrade the core building: governor's house > villa > palace, etc.
    That's what makes hitting AI Huge Cities so annoying. But at least you won't have to grow it and can easily slaughter it down to size.