6 9.38%
  • I would care: I have a problem with transexuals

32 50.00%
  • I don't know

7 10.94%
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Would you date a transexual?

Col. Tartleton's Avatar Comes Limitis

Default Re: Would you date a transexual?

Ultimately we are talking about whether we would have a relationship with people with a severe mental illness.
    Last edited by Col. Tartleton; September 07, 2015 at 12:05 PM.
    The Earth is inhabited by billions of idiots.
    The search for intelligent life continues...

Maiar93's Avatar Primicerius

Hmm... I'll bite.

Why is transsexuality a mental illness?
    Predictor of AAR Plot Points and a wannabe forum ninja

its official classification is Gender Dysphoria or Gender Identification Disorder permitted to be diagnosed by the American Psychiatrist Association.

norse's Avatar Tiro

You know I seem to remember from gender studies class in high school that there was a medical problem or malfunction involved while the fetus is developing.

Well one could argue its a physical illness, but that doesn't really speak to the enormous number of suicides, self mutilation, and other harmful behaviors related to it. Physically it would obviously be a genetic "defect" where a person has the wrong chromosomes, and you could draw a comparison to something like Down's Syndrome. In practical terms there's nothing wrong with their bodies, so their mind is wrong and is what needs to be treated to prevent suicide etc.

I'm a liberal (libertarian etc.) and I have no issue with a person choosing to modify their body, because its their body. If they want earrings or tattoos or breast implants or whatever, that is their choice, and a man is as free to take those steps as a woman. If it makes them happier with how they look I have no issue with it. If it makes them want to stop hurting themselves that is even better. However from a medical standpoint those desires to modify the body are unhealthy.

There's no reason for a person to get cosmetic surgery unless its to repair damage. Obviously if someone wants their nose put back together after a car accident that's reasonable. Someone wanting to change the shape of their nose purely for aesthetic reasons is doing something unhealthy. There's nothing wrong with their nose. However their mind is telling them there is.
    Last edited by Col. Tartleton; September 07, 2015 at 02:52 PM.

norse's Avatar Tiro

Actually it might involve the sex development occurring regularly, but then the brain somehow has some type of medical malfunction.

Thus you would have a male brain in a female body, or a female brain in a male body, or whatever type of problem that is possible.

Quote Originally Posted by norse View Post
    Thus you would have a male brain in a female body, or a female brain in a male body, or whatever type of problem that is possible.
    Definitely not a male brain in a female body type thing, but they do seem to be shifted a bit away from the norm for their sex. Although there is reason to remain a bit skeptical about these studies, everyone that I've seen has had very low sample sizes and while different brain structures lead to different behaviour/ways of thinking, the reverse is also true to some extent. However, I assume there is a biological cause either way, as there is for all mental issues.

Maybe we can blame it on cats.
    Quote Originally Posted by Enros View Post
    You don't seem to be familiar with how the burden of proof works in when discussing social justice. It's not like science where it lies on the one making the claim. If someone claims to be oppressed, they don't have to prove it.

gaunty14's Avatar Vicarius

I'm bisexual, so its all good either way.

"will help build battle station for food" - or rep

DaniCatBurger's Avatar Centenarius

Cats the musical by ... A.L. Webbers ... gosh I get old.

Wait, or the original poem collection by T.S. Elliot "Old Possum's Book"?

T.S. Elliot wrote important poems like the "Hollow Men" and "The Waste Land".*

*One wonders how antisemitism and poetic genius go together.

http://forward.com/culture/142722/ts-eliots-on-again-off-again-anti-semitism/

Last edited by DaniCatBurger; September 08, 2015 at 12:03 PM.
    שנאה היא לא ערך, גזענות היא לא הדרך

ccllnply's Avatar Tribunus

Surely the poll is rather limited. I don't have a problem with transexuals, if they are I don't really care. My "problem" with them is I wouldn't find them attractive. Even if I found them physically attractive at first sight, that attraction would quickly disappear when I found out they used to be the same gender as me.

Quote Originally Posted by Winston Smith View Post
    Sure, why not?
    It starts with a P and rhymes with Enis. I've already got one and thats enough to play with
    "When I die, I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like Fidel Castro, not screaming in terror, like his victims."

My shameful truth.

Sir Adrian's Avatar the Imperishable

I find the poll answers particularly biased and very baiting, much like the opening post.

Personally I don't care what people do to themselves but I would never date a transsexual and I think most healthy straight men wouldn't either (emphasis on most). There is only so much room for so much penis in a relationship and two is one too many.

Quote Originally Posted by norse View Post
    Doesn't that simply result in you being gay rather than actively choosing to mutilate yourself?
    Last edited by Sir Adrian; September 08, 2015 at 01:10 PM.
    Under the patronage of Pie the Inkster Click here to find a hidden gem on the forum!

norse's Avatar Tiro

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Shuu View Post
    Doesn't that simply result in you being gay rather than actively choosing to mutilate yourself?
    No.

There is a difference between sexual attraction and sex identity.

Quote Originally Posted by Phier View Post
    It starts with a P and rhymes with Enis. I've already got one and thats enough to play with
    Yeah but with two penises you can frot and regardless of sexual preferences that's a fun word to say.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Shuu View Post
    There are M to F Lesbians. They identify as women who are attracted to women.

Unfortunately while homosexuals and transsexuals share a lot of civil rights objectives as people who are traditionally treated like , the two issues have nothing in common.

One is a sexual preference, the other is gender dysphoria.

Homosexuality isn't an illness. They just need to be treated like normal people and left alone. Problem solved.

Gender Dysphoria is an illness. They need counseling and treatment. Not being murdered is also a step in the right direction, but one thing at a time.
    Last edited by Col. Tartleton; September 08, 2015 at 06:20 PM.

But the OP was made assuming you can't tell the difference between the transwoman and a real women. That presumably includes realistic female genitals.

You just check for a prostate.

Maiar93's Avatar Primicerius

If they had realistic female genitals and thought like a female, then they would by all intents and purposes be female and not transgender. Once realistic sex changes become a reality, transgender stops being an issue - in fact its meaning would change a lot, from a male who wants to be a female to a female who used to be a male.
    Predictor of AAR Plot Points and a wannabe forum ninja

Theoretical discussion follows only not medical advice.

If you were an adult Japanese male and able to transfer the soul into a Sudanese female, do you honestly thing there wouldn't be lifelong identity issues? The mind is not made to cope with altering core identity. A sense of disconnectedness becomes persistent even in something like burn victims or some plastic surgery adherents for once meddled with, addicting and given to new cosmetic change.

Gender reassignment can only cosmetically modulate. Even if someone feels "trapped" in a different gender, this never goes away. Few people would realistic cope as a spouse with a transexual, and divorce would be devastating. Seems like folly.

Even with perpetual HRT, which is extremely dangerous(ischemic heart disease) and impossible to correctly vary(maybe with something like an insulin pump?), then a relationship with one means considering perpetual medical issues. Any disruption of tissue leads to scar tissue and cancer risk as well.

Hormone modulation of estrogen, progesterone, and testosterone(for sexual desire will equally need adjustment) is akin to properly add a drop to a swimming pool and achieve the right therapeutic mix with minimal adverse effects. A man minus testes needs testosterone. A women adapting as a man lacks sufficient testosterone both for secondary sexual characteristics plus feel sexually attractive plus normal diminishment of adrenal production from original sexual identity due to aging. Hysterectomies in the latter will result in health issues too.

It's not whether you care at the beginning of that relationship, but a year or seven or twenty years later with many physical and psychological acceptance issues plus newly introduced disease states (again cancer plus heart disease).

If you think it's a simple decision, look here for lifelong medical problems plus suicide(morbidity and mortality are greatly increased).
    Last edited by RubiconDecision; September 10, 2015 at 04:17 AM.

Denny Crane!'s Avatar Comes Rei Militaris

In summary, increased mortality in hormone-treated
    MtF transsexuals was mainly due to non-hormonerelated
    causes, such as suicide, AIDS, and drug abuse

Uhuh. Someone is gilding the lilly somewhat! And psychological issues are far more complex than identity, its quite possibly due to the fact that most of society considers them freaks.

Senator

I don't really care tbh. And that's only pre-op.
    If I had to choose between betraying my friends and betraying my country, I hope I would have the guts to betray my country.