View Poll Results: Do you care if

Voters
63. You may not vote on this poll
  • I wouldn't care

    19 30.16%
  • I would care, but I wish I wouldn't

    6 9.52%
  • I would care: I have a problem with transexuals

    31 49.21%
  • I don't know

    7 11.11%
Page 1 of 13 1234567891011 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 256

Thread: Would you date a transexual?

  1. #1

    Default Would you date a transexual?

    It's estimated that about 0.2-0.3% of the USA's population is transexual. The average American has about a 1 in 400 being transexual.

    If you found out that the person you were interested in was a transexual, would you care?

    I don't know why anyone would care. If they are so good you have to be told they are transexual, I don't see what the problem is. If your relationship is short-term, it doesn't matter. If it's long term, surrogacy is a possibility for having children.

    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    I think we can all agree that anyone who specifically seeks out transexuals for dating is probably a creep.
    Last edited by Enros; August 30, 2015 at 03:58 PM.

  2. #2
    Diocle's Avatar Comes Limitis
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Amon Amarth
    Posts
    12,589

    Default Re: Would you date a transexual?

    C'mon it's almost impossible you don't understand if the man/woman you are interested in actually is a transexual!

  3. #3

    Default Re: Would you date a transexual?

    Quote Originally Posted by Enros View Post
    It's estimated that about 0.2-0.3% of the USA's population is transexual. The average American has about a 1 in 400 being transexual.

    If you found out that the person you were interested in was a transexual, would you care?

    I don't know why anyone would care. If they are so good you have to be told they are transexual, I don't see what the problem is. If your relationship is short-term, it doesn't matter. If it's long term, surrogacy is a possibility for having children.

    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    I think we can all agree that anyone who specifically seeks out transexuals for dating is probably a creep.
    For some reason I've found this to be the "homophobia" de jour type of thing. Now that being gay is "ok" main stream, gotta go to the next level. And yes it would matter to me. Sex is a mental thing as much as a physical one. If it was just physical, I'd be gay, I'd get a LOT more sex.

    I should add your pole wording is biased "I have a problem with transsexuals" is a judgement of me. I have the problem. I don't have a problem with transsexuals, nor do I wish I found them sexually attractive. I do not have a problem with transsexuals but I would not date one, or even have meaningless sex with one, knowingly.

    Being a transexual would just be a deal breaking turn off for me, but then again so is being fat to me. I don't see it as a flaw in myself that I don't care for fat women any more a flaw in myself that I don't want to date a transsexual.
    "When I die, I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like Fidel Castro, not screaming in terror, like his victims."

    My shameful truth.

  4. #4
    Vicarius Provinciae
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Hobs Crk
    Posts
    10,638

    Default Re: Would you date a transexual?

    Now that being gay is "ok" main stream, gotta go to the next level
    The next level is actually pedophilia, this is what my pastor told me and he's an expert on the subject.

  5. #5
    Inhuman One's Avatar Comes Limitis
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    12,587

    Default Re: Would you date a transexual?

    I agree that the answers are poorly described.

    Personly I dont want to date transsexuals and dont wish I would be able to, but I have nothing against them either. I just dont want to date them just like how I am fine with gay men but would not date them.

    I only feel attraction to women, simple as that.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Would you date a transexual?

    I have as much problem with homosexuals as I have with a man not being what I consider a good looking woman...
    The Armenian Issue
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/group.php?groupid=1930

    "We're nice mainly because we're rich and comfortable."

  7. #7

    Default Re: Would you date a transexual?

    Quote Originally Posted by Diocle View Post
    C'mon it's almost impossible you don't understand if the man/woman you are interested in actually is a transexual!
    The premise here is that their sex change was so well done it is impossible to tell, you are attracted to them, and suddenly you find out they are a transexual. This is a realistic assumption with modern medicine, there are many transexuals like that
    Quote Originally Posted by Phier View Post
    For some reason I've found this to be the "homophobia" de jour type of thing. Now that being gay is "ok" main stream, gotta go to the next level. And yes it would matter to me. Sex is a mental thing as much as a physical one. If it was just physical, I'd be gay, I'd get a LOT more sex.

    I should add your pole wording is biased "I have a problem with transsexuals" is a judgement of me. I have the problem. I don't have a problem with transsexuals, nor do I wish I found them sexually attractive. I do not have a problem with transsexuals but I would not date one, or even have meaningless sex with one, knowingly.

    Being a transexual would just be a deal breaking turn off for me, but then again so is being fat to me. I don't see it as a flaw in myself that I don't care for fat women any more a flaw in myself that I don't want to date a transsexual.
    "Being a transexual would just be a deal breaking turn off for me" - it was for me for all of my life up until just now when I decided it was homophobic to care if someone was transexual.

    I am judging people who disagree with me. I think they imply transexuals aren't "really" part of their gender.

    I think some reasons for not dating transexuals are fine. I don't think "I thought she was a smokeshow until I learned the awful truth" is a good reason.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobbes View Post
    The next level is actually pedophilia, this is what my pastor told me and he's an expert on the subject.
    Funnily enough you are correct. Only 40% of child molestors are pedophiles. There are lots of pedophiles who don't rape children. We should give them counselling, psychiatric help and also study them. So long as they don't rape children, I don't have a problem with them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inhuman One View Post
    I only feel attraction to women, simple as that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Setekh View Post
    I have as much problem with homosexuals as I have with a man not being what I consider a good looking woman...
    And there's a chance one of those women you are attracted to could turn out to be a transexual.

    Why would your mind suddenly change?
    Last edited by Enros; August 30, 2015 at 06:40 PM.

  8. #8
    clone's Avatar Primicerius
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    greece
    Posts
    3,465

    Default Re: Would you date a transexual?

    Quote Originally Posted by Enros View Post

    And there's a chance one of those women you are attracted to could turn out to be a transexual.

    Why would your mind suddenly change?
    because she is not a natural woman.i would never date a woman no matter how pretty she is if her previous name was bob
    Last edited by clone; August 30, 2015 at 06:56 PM.
    When a nation forgets her skill in war, when her religion becomes a mockery, when the whole nation becomes a nation of money-grabbers, then the wild tribes, the barbarians drive in... Who will our invaders be? From whence will they come?”
    Robert E. Howard



  9. #9
    Vicarius Provinciae
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Hobs Crk
    Posts
    10,638

    Default Re: Would you date a transexual?

    What previous names would be acceptable to you, clone?

  10. #10

    Default Re: Would you date a transexual?

    Quote Originally Posted by Enros View Post
    I don't think "I thought she was a smokeshow until I learned the awful truth" is a good reason.


    Still nope. I see transexuals as the sex they were born with, not the sex they feel they should be born with. To me its not a woman but a pretty man who cut off his penis (this might be a tuck, dunno, I'm assuming you are talking post surgical.)

    I don't see this as transphobic.

    Edit: I think this is a more interesting question if you take this to some future where instead of faking a mostly non-functional vagina, a sex change procedure actually DID change the sex (see the book Steel Beach for some good writing on this, highly recommend the book). In that case where gender changed totally and fluidly (the main character of the book was male, who was originally female and then later switches back to female, and this really had nothing to do with the books plot), I have to say I don't know how I'd react. My guess would be, it would depend on if I knew them first as male or not.
    Last edited by Phier; August 30, 2015 at 08:37 PM.
    "When I die, I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like Fidel Castro, not screaming in terror, like his victims."

    My shameful truth.

  11. #11
    Himster's Avatar Praeses
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Dublin, The Peoples Republic of Ireland
    Posts
    9,823

    Default Re: Would you date a transexual?

    If you can't tell it doesn't matter.
    Like Theseus' Ship or Locke's Socks, or more specifically Aristotle's notion of "Final Cause".
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are so certain of themselves, but wiser people are full of doubts.
    -Betrand Russell

  12. #12
    Vicarius Provinciae
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Hobs Crk
    Posts
    10,638

    Default Re: Would you date a transexual?

    @Phier: So in other words you would not shag a trans person because their past as males freaks you out?

  13. #13

    Default Re: Would you date a transexual?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hobbes View Post
    @Phier: So in other words you would not shag a trans person because their past as males freaks you out?
    Always the language. You could say "doesn't turn me on" instead.
    "When I die, I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like Fidel Castro, not screaming in terror, like his victims."

    My shameful truth.

  14. #14

    Default Re: Would you date a transexual?

    Quote Originally Posted by Enros View Post
    And there's a chance one of those women you are attracted to could turn out to be a transexual.

    Why would your mind suddenly change?
    Because they're not woman? I thought I covered that.
    The Armenian Issue
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/group.php?groupid=1930

    "We're nice mainly because we're rich and comfortable."

  15. #15
    chriscase's Avatar Princess Thunderballs
    Civitate Patrician

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    5,570

    Default Re: Would you date a transexual?

    I always find these threads very broad in their categorizations. There might be a transsexual I would date. There might be any number of people with some characteristic or another I would have sex with. There are most definitely a significant number of people in each of those categories I would not have sex with.

    As for the scenario where a particular individual who I hypothetically wanted to have sex with turned out to be a transsexual, I haven't experienced it, so I don't know, but I think it's very likely it would depend on the individual. I don't really decide things like this by working from some abstract principle. Either I would still want to have sex with that particular person or I wouldn't. Who can tell before the situation arises?

    Why is it that mysteries are always about something bad? You never hear there's a mystery, and then it's like, "Who made cookies?"
    - Demetri Martin

  16. #16

    Default Re: Would you date a transexual?

    All of this seems to assume a person has some sort of obligation to deliver themselves up freely to their Inquisitor.

    You're not an Inquisitor ? You wouldn't use the gift of a confidence as a weapon against the giver?

    Then there's no problem to begin with, and subsequently no such question, subsequently no such thread.

    I can't get beyond that.

  17. #17

    Default Re: Would you date a transexual?

    Quote Originally Posted by Phier View Post
    ...but then again so is being fat to me. I don't see it as a flaw in myself that I don't care for fat women...
    No, it's not enough to treat them with basic human respect, you must proclaim your attraction to fat women or else you are a fat shamer.

    Quote Originally Posted by Enros View Post
    This is a realistic assumption with modern medicine, there are many transexuals like that
    I assume that there is one area of their bodies, which is particularly relevant to sex, where that is not the case.

    Quote Originally Posted by Enros View Post
    "Being a transexual would just be a deal breaking turn off for me" - it was for me for all of my life up until just now when I decided it was homophobic to care if someone was transexual.

    I am judging people who disagree with me. I think they imply transexuals aren't "really" part of their gender.
    They really aren't. You can say gender is a social construct, but then the idea that gender is a social construct is also a social construct, not one that has particularly caught on, hence my statement that they aren't (yet?). There is no objective reality in any of that one way or another. The only objective reality is biological sex.

    The intellectual discussion however is irrelevant since attraction is non-rational. We can rationally uncover the biological reasons behind certain attraction, but the basic mechanisms for it are largely emotional and subconscious. Social conditioning may be brought up, but unless you're going to argue that social conditioning can also make a gay person straight, then it seems logically inconsistent.

    Quote Originally Posted by Phier View Post
    Always the language. You could say "doesn't turn me on" instead.
    No, you must proclaim you are turned on by amputated male genitals or else you are a bigot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Enros View Post
    You don't seem to be familiar with how the burden of proof works in when discussing social justice. It's not like science where it lies on the one making the claim. If someone claims to be oppressed, they don't have to prove it.


  18. #18
    Mega Tortas de Bodemloze's Avatar Divide & Conquer Ver 3
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Fort Hood, Texas/Parramatta, New South Wales, Bristol, Tennessee
    Posts
    11,526

    Default Re: Would you date a transexual?

    The powers of personality and attraction can over come most of the hurdles. If your "into them" when the lights go out it's what you feel, not what you see.
    If they can make that work, then more power to them.

  19. #19

    Default Re: Would you date a transexual?

    Quote Originally Posted by sumskilz View Post
    I assume that there is one area of their bodies, which is particularly relevant to sex, where that is not the case.
    I thought they could do that up pretty good?
    Quote Originally Posted by sumskilz View Post
    The intellectual discussion however is irrelevant since attraction is non-rational. We can rationally uncover the biological reasons behind certain attraction, but the basic mechanisms for it are largely emotional and subconscious. Social conditioning may be brought up, but unless you're going to argue that social conditioning can also make a gay person straight, then it seems logically inconsistent.
    There are lots of attractions people have that I think are entirely made up and not one the same level as sexual orientation.

    Attraction to one race or another for example. Maybe they have intellectually decided they want to date members of their own race. However they shouldn't lie and claim they don't occasionally find people from other races attractive, because I know they do. People also have much more success at changing their idea about dating other races than they do changing their sexual orientation.

    Not being attracted to fat women is also a lie. Maybe the average woman I am attracted to is good looking. Some women I am attracted to are not good looking, some are underweight, some are overweight. Maybe they made up for it with confidence, maybe they know how to do their make up really well or whatever. I am also not attracted to some women I know who are generally regarded as very good looking. I can appreciate that, but for whatever reason it has't done anything for me. There seems to be a stigma against admitting this.

    The people who say they aren't attracted to transexuals have admitted they are attracted to them before they find out they are transexuals. They're just intellectually deciding they wish they weren't attacted.
    Last edited by Enros; August 31, 2015 at 07:11 AM.

  20. #20

    Default Re: Would you date a transexual?

    Quote Originally Posted by Enros View Post
    I thought they could do that up pretty good?
    My attempt to investigate that question left me nauseous.

    Quote Originally Posted by Enros View Post
    There are lots of attractions people have that I think are entirely made up and not one the same level as sexual orientation.

    Attraction to one race or another for example. Maybe they have intellectually decided they want to date members of their own race. However they shouldn't lie and claim they don't occasionally find people from other races attractive, because I know they do. People also have much more success at changing their idea about dating other races than they do changing their sexual orientation.

    Not being attracted to fat women is also a lie. Maybe the average woman I am attracted to is good looking. Some women I am attracted to are not good looking, some are underweight, some are overweight. Maybe they made up for it with confidence, maybe they know how to do their make up really well or whatever. I am also not attracted to some women I know who are generally regarded as very good looking. I can appreciate that, but for whatever reason it has't done anything for me. There seems to be a stigma against admitting this.
    I don't really get why you think your subjective feelings are universal.

    To me personally, healthy weight women and slightly overweight women can be attractive. Fat women and underweight women I don't find attractive at all. Therefore by your logic, you are lying about being attracted to underweight women.

    Quote Originally Posted by Enros View Post
    The people who say they aren't attracted to transexuals have admitted they are attracted to them before they find out they are transexuals. They're just intellectually deciding they wish they weren't attacted.
    Nothing has ever changed your level of attraction to someone after you found it out? To me, there are a small number of male to female transexuals who look like attractive women (or appear so on the internet anyway), though they either have a penis or something I find even less appealing. To each there own, I'm just not at all into either, and I don't see any reason why I would want to be.
    Quote Originally Posted by Enros View Post
    You don't seem to be familiar with how the burden of proof works in when discussing social justice. It's not like science where it lies on the one making the claim. If someone claims to be oppressed, they don't have to prove it.


Page 1 of 13 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •