Thread: Is there any way to enhance battle (and maybe campaign) AI?

Default Is there any way to enhance battle (and maybe campaign) AI?

Hello everyone,

I was playing the campaign and I have realized that, even though both campaign difficulty and battle difficulty is at Very Hard, the battle AI is still terrible.

For example, when I am assaulting a town, AI just keeps running its units beside the walls, simply tiring them and exposing them to my missiles at the same time. Similarly, in a siege, phanlanx type units prefer to fight near the walls, instead of simply blocking the individual streets. Another example is AI keeps it's archers at the town square as my rams approach the walls.

Similarly, on the campaign map, AI keeps its forces in numerous smaller armies, instead of in one big strong army. This makes them easier to eliminate.

So, coming to the point, is there any way (mods, tweaks in game files, anything...) that can present solutions to these and nicely enhance the battle (and/or campaign) AI?

Regards

Default Re: Is there any way to enhance battle (and maybe campaign) AI?

Yes.
    Some of the mods have made battles harder so you should look into the supported Mods subforum.
    I believe that Darthmod is one of those.
    Sorry, I can't help you with more specifics but I'm still hooked on vanilla Rome.

neep's Avatar Tiro

Default Re: Is there any way to enhance battle (and maybe campaign) AI?

One thing to look for when trying out the mods is how long the average battles last.
    I happen to be playing Roma Surrectum (but there certainly are other good mods available). The battle timer is set to 45 mins and the battles can easily last that long in some cases.
    From the discussions I've read there's no actual modification of the core AI itself so it's the same engine underneath - but by having the battles last longer it allows the AI to develop it's moves. It does feel as though the AI is better, and I have seen some neat flanking attacks from the AI.

Is it perfect ? No
    Does the AI get itself stuck and in some situations just stand there while your arrows destroy every man ? Yes, of course.
    Could it be improved ? Definitely - but that's a lot of tuning and coding for a wide range of possible scenarios. As with other aspects of playing Vanilla and various mods - pick the one that's closest to what you feel happy playing and then PLAY