Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Medieval Hungarian

Beiss's Avatar Nemo nascitur...

Default Medieval Hungarian

Master Source Documents (use the "East European" ones):

Here we will have a link to the Translation Master Document,

And here we will have a link to the Medieval Translation Master Document.
    When this medieval translation document is completed, recording can begin.

This thread is for discussing the language, translation, sources of information, and eventually, the mod itself and how it can be improved.

Here's a Hungarian TW site, by the looks of it. Maybe we can find voice actors there?

If your language doesn't already have thread, PM me and I'll make one, or go ahead and make one yourself, and I'll make sure that your first post contains all the necessary info. Thanks!!
    Last edited by Beiss; April 07, 2007 at 11:21 AM.
    Under the patronage of Halie Satanus, Emperor of Ice Cream, in the house of wilpuri

Default Re: Medieval Hungarian

All in all the old Hungarian is not much different than the one we use now. Though it's hard to understand.
    Of course alot of alien expressions were used in the diplomatic language (if they didn't talk fully in latin).

Edit: The origins of the Magyar language is not yet fully clear, but one thing is sure:
    The latin letters didn't cover up the whole verbal sounds of the language in the early Medieval period. The first documents written in fully Hungarian are sometimes using different writings for the same word, that means they couldn't really decide how to transform it to the Latin letters.

Reading through the original thread me me realize that I'm not the only Hungarian who offered help. I would be glad to help and work with you together guys if you accept my help.
    These stuff I wrote down is my opinion after reading some books on the language.
    Last edited by Szkítia; November 21, 2006 at 11:19 AM. Reason: plus info

hi szkítia!

if you think we could work together on the stuff seek me on msn (-ring@c2.hu-)
    im available mostly at the weekends, but on the same mail adress we can keep contact all time.

Yeah, he posted here in November. I'm not sure he's coming back... so I sent 4 people an e-mail. Glad you swung by, Ring, maybe you can start looking at the documents so you'll know what you're up against.
    Under the patronage of Halie Satanus, Emperor of Ice Cream, in the house of wilpuri

well yeah i'll look into it next week. alas i'm very busy till next tuesday. but after that i'll finally have time to look into it and also to install medieval again

Ok. Thank you! Mind you, you don't need to install the game in order to help with translation.

uh i made a quick search. and well it's really hard if not impossible. hungary only has 3 written document till the 14th century. the other books are all latin. the language of diplomacy and priests were also mostly latin. however generals probably used hungarian between each other. reconstruating that language is nearly impossible. but we could use other sources of later times of the 16th 17th century.

Well, take the best we can find. Good work researching.

Ring, I added you on msn.

After looking through some documents I think we shouldn't try reproduce the early medieval Hungarian. We have more chance to fully translate in the 14-15th language. The biggest problem is the lack of written Hungarian in the early time becouse the wooden objects on which the simple people "wrote" got fully rotten in a few houndred years so there's no chance to get help from them and the new latin letters weren't used for Magyar writing for a long time.

Glad to see some activity. I'm fine with 14-15th century - it's not really "right" but if it's the best we can do... go for it.

ah so that was you Szkítia hope than this weekend we'll be online at the same time alas i wont be available before thursday night. we can discuss things in the weekend. i think we still could use some words from 'Halotti beszéd' or 'ómagyar máriasiralom', however the battle cries and stuff of the game doesnt really use those words...

Unfortunately I won't be online this weekend becouse I'll be at Komárom and Gyenesdiás to take part in reenectment events. I'm departing in a few minutes.
    But I'll do my best to be on msn on monday and tuesday, if that's okay for you.

see you than

Beiss, there's another Hungarian site.

By the way I'm half done with the modern hungarian battleground text. I would like to ask if there are others missile units apart from archers becouse if not then I could use the Hungarian "íjászok" word as for archers. If there are more apart from archers then I pla using "távolsági fegyveresek" as for missile units.
    Last edited by Szkítia; May 16, 2007 at 11:49 AM.

Does "íjászok" include crossbowmen? "Missile units" also includes people who throw things, as well as gunmen. I don't know what units the Hungarians have, I haven't played them yet...

Ah me silly... yes they have a gun units aswell so the simple ijászok won't do it.

Edit: Now finally I'm installing M2TW so I can get a better overview of the game.

Default Need help

Hi there,

being new to this Forum I found this MOD which I think is a great idea...I was wondering how far you got in the Hungarian department since I would have another Hungarian at hand - literally speaking since I married her
    Anyway, she's supporting my hobby and is always happy to work with languages, so let us know if you need any further assistance on the topic - I couldn't find wether you are through translating or not...
    Let us know...

\JP

We could definitely use you when reviewing the translations (it's always good to have people double-check other's work). We're not done translating, no. PM Szkítia amd ask him if he needs help.

Hey! I signed up just so I could help make the Hungarian language for this mod. I too am Hungarian, and would be happily willing to help translate and voice act. However, I question how well we'll be able to reconstruct Medieval Hungarian with the little sources we have, as mentioned above.

In my opinion, we should attempt to just use modern day Hungarian. Firstly, it would be much easier for us, and secondly, modern Hungarian isn't all that different from Medieval Hungarian.

However, if you guys prefer to use Medieval instead, then that's fine, and I'll attempt to help in anyway I can. =D

Ok, great! I don't know what's going on right now, so PM Szkítia and ask him.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast