View Poll Results: Pikemen animation or spearmen animation

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • Pikeanimation means the weapon's range is increase and the soldiers actually hit with the visible spear point in game, but the animation and soldier model isn't entirely perfect

5 45.45%
  • Spearmen animation means the weapon's 'invisible' range to start hitting enemies is shorter unlike piker, meaning it looks kind off when fighting but the walking, running, form-up animations are perfect.

6 54.55%
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: MOS 1.7_Hobbit Trilogy_Dwarves_Units 5/8/2016 REDONE

Default Re: MOS 1.7-The Hobbit Dwarf Units [UPDATE!!! Versions 1 and 2 Revised - 2/13/2016]

this thread might help http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...d-Age-campaign

If I were you I would just take the time to reinstall. Keep the downloads of Third Age and MOS and so on, and all patches in the downloads folder, organize it and keep them there for when you have to re-install(that's what I did). And go one by one, install third age total war, and all the patches, and then try to play, then mos, then mos with patches 1-4 then the final patch and then install which ever version of my mod you want. Make sure you changed the security settings for the medieval 2 total war folder. I actually keep my steam directory and games in a folder called games instead of program files(it helps with security issues and also makes games run faster, cause the game is slower when the computer tries to send information when going inside the program files folder, so having it go straight to the drive, in some random folder is nice. but anyways that was just an unrelated tip, do what I said. follow the link, see what's up, and if that doesn't help, then reinstall, little by little checking everything has been installed correctly.
    "Courage is not having the strength to go on; it is going on when you don't have the strength" - Teddy Roosevelt
    "
    Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life. Don't be trapped by dogma...Don't let the noise of others' opinions drown out your own inner voice...have the courage to follow your heart and intuition" - Steve Jobs
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, courage is the ability to keep moving forward despite being afraid" - King Brian

Default Re: MOS 1.7-The Hobbit Dwarf Units [UPDATE!!! Versions 1 and 2 Revised - 2/13/2016]

Thanks Brian, i will do that

Default Re: MOS 1.7-The Hobbit Dwarf Units [UPDATE!!! Versions 1,2,3 Revised - 2/13/2016]

Well woooooops. I forgot about something, the buildings.text file I used to make iron foot pikemen only recruitable in the iron hills, it included a personal mod I did to myself to make roads, farms, and mines destructible, it requires having both the descr_strat file and buildings file editted, by taking out the hinterland thing....I just replaced by descr_strat file with the original, while having the modded buildings file and I was able to load my arnor campaign fine, even the option to destroy those buildings types....so I think nothing bad happened, but yea, you can just change it on your end, by simply replaced that file with the original export_descr_buildings file. It was only to limit iron foot pikemen creation to the grey mountains region. But I doubt there should be any issues.

PS: Like I said in the updates section, someone please make some unit cards and info cards, idk how to do them.
    "Courage is not having the strength to go on; it is going on when you don't have the strength" - Teddy Roosevelt
    "
    Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life. Don't be trapped by dogma...Don't let the noise of others' opinions drown out your own inner voice...have the courage to follow your heart and intuition" - Steve Jobs
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, courage is the ability to keep moving forward despite being afraid" - King Brian

Default Re: MOS 1.7-The Hobbit dwarf units [UPDATE! VERSION 1 Revised - 2/12/2016]

Quote Originally Posted by King Brian View Post
    well, I doubt it would that hard, considering I already did the work, would simply need to write new text files to redirect everything to the needed models and such....soooooooo yea, I don't mind, I'll do it once I'm done with version 3 here. Once I finish with this submod I could do the same for DAC.
    Thank you very much! Your work is amazing! I cant wait until you release them for DaC!

Default Re: MOS 1.7-The Hobbit Dwarf Units [UPDATE!!! Versions 1,2,3 Revised - 2/13/2016]

So, I just tried to install the dwarf units (Tried both Patch 2 and 3 separately). I've been receiving the same crashes as stated above. Though I when I revert back to the Vanilla mod you posted, the issue clears. I'm gonna try the patch 1 and see how it goes.

Hey Brian do you know how to add the new look to earlier armor levels? Like the Bronze Level? i love this ing armor so much and its taking an eternity for me to get it. just wondering if i can replace the bronze level armor, and how i can go about doing that. anyways your mod is great, i hated the old look of the dwarven units. not professional enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack of Death View Post
    So, I just tried to install the dwarf units (Tried both Patch 2 and 3 separately). I've been receiving the same crashes as stated above. Though I when I revert back to the Vanilla mod you posted, the issue clears. I'm gonna try the patch 1 and see how it goes.

Sry that was my fault, I overlooked it and now I remembered why export_descr_buildings and descr_strat both had to be editted for.......Okay so the deal is, sometime ago I was getting a little annoyed that in a settlement recently captured by the enemy faction or w.e the case, they build an orc road on it, or their version of a farm building that would break immersion, so I made a mod that allows you to make farms and roads and mines destructible so you can build your own version. The problem with using the mod from previous experience, maybe it doesn't happen all the time(doubt it) is that in a campaign you already started, those kinds of buildins will get reset after using adding such a mod, and you would have to rebuild them, but if you start it form the beginning, then it can work just fine. Also its nice to be able to destro a farm one level lower after you mistakenly or purposely built the 4th level farm, in order to manage population rise, seriously crop rotation, even in real life is much better than irrigation lol.

So the way to fix it:

I'm uploading, there is a tag on these buildings, mine, farm, road, "hinterland_", anything that has that attached to the name, becomes indestructible in the campaign map, if you remove it, then you can scrap it. So I will post the descr_strat file that goes along with the export_descr_buildings file I posted on version 2 and 3, if they are not compatible, as in, if in both files the same buildings didn't get their tag "hinterland" removed, then you can't start a new game, but you can continue an already existing one.

The second way is to simply replace the export_descr_buildings with the original, there's nothing incredibly important about it really, the only reason why I introduced it, was to limit iron foot pikemen to the iron hills for recruitment .

So in the end, sorry about this, I keep forgetting to not make mods of files I already modded for personal use, like what I did with increasing Arnor's unit sizes a bit, or now this to make certain buildings destructible.
    "

Quote Originally Posted by mikesnel View Post
    Hey Brian do you know how to add the new look to earlier armor levels? Like the Bronze Level? i love this ing armor so much and its taking an eternity for me to get it. just wondering if i can replace the bronze level armor, and how i can go about doing that. anyways your mod is great, i hated the old look of the dwarven units. not professional enough.

Okay, gonna give you a run down, to the point you'll learn to mod on your own. For this tutorial, we will use the Dwarven Warriors unit, as it is called in the export_descr_unit file(will tell you how to change the name displayed in the game later on)....in this case we are editing the file from Version 1 of my mod. Always open these files with notepad++, it's free https://notepad-plus-plus.org/download/v6.8.8.html

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

type Dwarven Warriors (this is a unit ID, if you will, like when you use the create_unit cheat, this is the name you type inside quotations)
    dictionary Dwarven_Warriors ; Dwarven Warriors (this pertains to the file where you edit the description of a unit and the name that shows up in game, once you open that file, it'll be self explanatory, you'll know what to change, the file is in data/text/export_units, moreover, anything after ';' in this file, not the export_units one, is just a comment, the game doesn't 'read' it.
    category infantry
    class heavy
    voice_type Heavy
    banner faction main_infantry
    banner holy crusade
    soldier dwarven_warriors, 48, 0, 1.25 (this here pertains to the main model, the SHAPE of the unit, and corresponding textures, it is another ID, this time one which you'll find in the file data/unit_models/'battle_models' to match, it is there that entries are written for each of these kinds of IDs, telling the game where in the folders to look for the model of the unit, and where to find the textures attached to the unit as well as the animation of that unit( I will explain battle_models later) for that specific ID....the next number is the number of men for the unit in the smallest unit size game settings for the game, if you place it at huge settings in the game, that 48 gets multiplied into the ...what was it, 122? soldiers you see, forgot, but that's for unit sizes, next number are extras, like dogs or something if the unit has any, think horses too, and the next number is collision mass
    officer dwarf_captain_early_flag
    officer dwarf_captain
    mount_effect horse -1, camel -1, elephant -4
    attributes sea_faring, hide_forest, very_hardy, can_withdraw, free_upkeep_unit
    formation 1.2, 1.2, 2.4, 2.4, 4, square, shield_wall (I forgot the order but...those numbers are spacing between individual soldeirs: front, back, left, right, for the units if you ever feel like messing with it, test out which is which)
    stat_health 1, 2
    stat_pri 7, 3, no, 0, 0, melee, melee_blade, slashing, axe, 45, 1 (I'm giving you more than what you asked caused I get the feeling you may want to change some extra stuff to suit your preferences, first number is the attack dmg, second the bonus to the attack when charging, actually you can see a description of everything I'm talking about at the top of the export_descr_unit file lol
    stat_pri_attr ap
    stat_sec 0, 0, no, 0, 0, no, melee_simple, blunt, none, 0, 1
    stat_sec_attr no
    stat_pri_armour 9, 6, 5, metal ; dwarven lamellar ; defense 3 + 1 + 1 + 1
    stat_sec_armour 0, 0, flesh
    stat_heat 6
    stat_ground 0, -2, 2, 1
    stat_mental 15, disciplined, highly_trained
    stat_charge_dist 6
    stat_fire_delay 0
    stat_food 60, 300
    stat_cost 2, 880, 260, 75, 600, 800, 4, 150
    armour_ug_levels 2, 3, 5
    armour_ug_models dwarven_warriors, dwarven_warriors_upg, iron_warriors_upg (well anyways, so I said the top one where it says 'soldier' and then the ID, pertains to the default look, over here on armor_ug_levels, it tells you the IDs this unit uses for it's various armor upgrades. The first is the same as the the ID for 'soldier' up there, you just repeat it, idk what happens if the id for soldier is different to the first id from the armor upgrade models, but it doesn't seem to cause problems cause I noticed some units in the vanilla version having the same, different IDs, so I wonder what wil happen.....But w.e, the second ID is for the first armor upgrade(bronze shield), the third ID is for the second armor upgrade(silver shield)

Above this you can see armour_ug_levels, those numbers basically say which blacksmith building level is necessary for the armor upgrades(I'm not entirely certain about the very first, the '2', but w.e, it basically says, that for the second ID(bronze) you need a blacksmith level building 3(the number 3 I guess in the building tree), and it says you need to wait till you build the level 5 one in order to get the other upgrade for this unit, other units are different, for example, iron_guard, I made it 4, as well as others, basically the more elite units you unlock later after specific barracks are built, come with the upgraded look already as I decided for the mod, or it takes level 4 smithy not 5, to upgrade them to the look(like axemen of erebor)...for balance reasons if you will, considering the number of armor points it gives every time you upgrade, and how early in game you get dwarven warriors, I decided to not make it too early and easy to get that second(silver) upgrade.

But basically, you need to keep it constant, if you have 4 armor upgrade model IDs written down, then you gotta write 4 numbers in total for the armor upgrade levels pertaining to the smithy levels, since they gotta have a building or something attached to them in order to be allowed to upgrade them.....and yes, you're not restricted to follow a linear pattern like 2, 3, 4, 5....you can skip, 2, 5, or 3, 5, or 2, 4, 5, and you can repeat, 2, 2, 2, or 2, 3, 3, or 2, 4, 5, 5 if you want to say that you want to be able to use the same smithy building for all the upgrades, or w.e you have in mind.

So what to do: If you want to make the look(LOOK not stats, since depending on what you do what from what I'm about to say, you'll have less armor points or the same in total at the end, than if you leave things alone). This is what to do, you can:

1. Change the order of the IDs, erase 'dwarven_warriors_upg, to leave iron_warriors_upg as the second upgrade(make sure that the spaces are correct, no double spaces, and that the commas are there), and then....remove the number 5 on top since we don't have a 3rd upgrade look anymore, and that will mean, when you reach smithy level building 3 for the first bronze shield upgrade, the game will use the model corresponding to that upgrade, and in this case, like in all cases, the very first upgrade(bronze) will use whatever is the second ID in the armour_ug_models line, which right now would be the iron_warriors_upg one, which has the look you are looking for.

2. You can replace dwarven_warriors_upg with iron_warriors_upg, so you have them double, you have it copied twice, and leave the armour_ug_levels line alone, that means, you can upgrade 2 times like before, and tell the game to use the same model and textures for both upgrades, looks wise, it will be the same, stats wise, you got a second upgrade to the armor, which i think adds 2 points of armor every time you upgrade, even if the game's UI says 1 point.
    ownership moors, milan
    era 0 moors, milan
    era 1 moors, milan
    era 2 moors, milan
    recruit_priority_offset 0

If you want me to give you a tutorial on how the battle_models file works then tell me.

Anyways, I was gonna release a patch2 for the mod you know eventually, for versions 1, 2, and 3 , cause I was gonna change the look of the second upgrade of dwarven warriors to a mix of leather armor with the brown shield and iron helmet and sword/axe upgrades, to give it a better sense of progression. But if you want you can just do what I said just now

Last edited by King Brian; February 22, 2016 at 05:12 PM.
    "

Holy Crap Thanks Brian! im gonna go mess around with it now and see what i can do

Default Re: MOS 1.7-The Hobbit Dwarf Units RELOADED Patch2! + Sub-mods!

Hey bro loven this submod dude... especially since i switch off between DaC and MOS 1.7 (depending on who I wanna play as)... I just have two quick questions... 1, will you be doing armor upgrades for dwarven axemen, halberdiers, valt wardens, etc... and 2, would you ever possibly consider uploading easy-to-install Dale armor upgrades... i came across a submod like this, with directions, but since I'm no modder I'm not even gonna try... not LAZY just not comfortable due to ignorance of modding...

scratch that about the vault wardens... I'm a dumbass lol

Will you do new look for Iron Foot's Pikemans?

Hey could you do this for DaC that be awesome.

@Sk1p56 yea maybe, far into the future, I'm chilling right now so wanted to take a break and play the game and you know...life. Just the thought of having to map out that helmet and the chest piece and finding a good pic of it too that isn't freaking discolored like the one I found, and then making it double sided and texturing it correctly on the sides as well...thinking about it makes me lazy lol, I know how to do it, but it would require 2 or more hours of actual work.....and 6 more of headaches, so I'm gonna wait on that. I also want to once again redo the shield textures for the shield of that unit anyways, but yea, Iron Foot Pikemen, and Stompers I want to give them a new armor piece eventually, but not yet.

@WickedMortal I didn't want to give all units such armor upgrades, the idea would be that not all dwarven kingdoms would go about equipping their guys the same way, plus many units would look repetitive...for example, making the axemen look exactly the same to axemen of erebor of versions 1 and 2...the vault wardens are the pikemen unit, it's called vault wardens in-game(changed that on versions 2 and 3) and dwarven pikemen in the actual files, the vault wardens is what I replaced with iron foot pikemen. The Halberd unit I will consider doing though...........I could replace Dwarven Axemen with the look of axemen of erebor for version 3 only, where I go and also revert the stompers back to wielding mattocks only so change their name, and that way have an axemen wielding unit and a mattock wielding one, while the guardians of erebor keep their two handed sword, which btw I need to make the mattocks slightly bigger and fix the black parts of the texture.............expect a version 2.0 I guess

@vaultman3 I was about to, even told a guy on page 2 it shouldn't be a problem...but when I got to DaC and checked out what they had that day, I noticed they had the same models being used for some of their units...idk...I was thinking it'd be a mess trying to figure out which unit is which and what to replace with what, considering they don't share units in the same faction but there's like more than 1 dwarf faction I think in that mod? And considering they've already looked into the models, I feel it's their job to ask for permission to used my work, and for them to do it themselves. I don't see why I need to do the work for them, the fact they had a model similar to the Iron Guard in this mod, means they already asked for permission from Araval or whoever(if they took it from frogs) or where ever they got the main models from to work on them, why not ask them to better their mod, they can ask me, and I wouldn't have an issue considering whether to allow them to use my work in their mod or not. Get me, since I saw signs that they were already doing it, then ask them to do it and better their own mod by giving them the suggestion of adding these armor upgrades...the only Mod I wanted to work on cause it didn't have this AT ALL was MOS but FROGS and DaC already have models like this, I told Araval as well that if he wants he can use the work I did here on their own mod in FROGS, but I never said I would do it for him, I only did this for the one mod that didn't have it at all.
    Last edited by King Brian; February 24, 2016 at 05:30 PM.
    "

Yeah I get what you're saying about the axemen, hopefully you at least do the halberds in full steel plate... might i throw a suggestion for the axemen though??? maybe instead of full steel plate armor, maybe give them the new look for dwarven warriors from DaC .52... if you could get permission and if you even wanted to... just a thought my friend... and have you given any thought about making a Dale armor submod that can be easily installed like this one??? that would be so flippn awesome...

ekusik's Avatar Foederatus

Hello King Brian.
    I like your iron pikemen so much. But I suggest you some points to improve your units.

Now your iron pikemen look like this when I use shield wall.

And export_descr.txt is beelow.

type Iron Pikemen
    dictionary Iron_Pikemen ; Iron Foot Pikes
    category infantry
    class spearmen
    voice_type Heavy
    banner faction main_spear
    banner holy crusade
    soldier iron_pike, 48, 0, 1.875
    officer dwarf_captain_iron_flag
    officer dwarven_officer
    mount_effect horse +1, camel +1, elephant +3
    attributes sea_faring, hide_forest, very_hardy, can_withdraw, pike, free_upkeep_unit, frighten_mounted
    formation 1.2, 1.2, 2.4, 2.4, 8, square, shield_wall
    stat_health 1, 2
    stat_pri 4, 6, no, 0, 0, melee, melee_blade, piercing, spear, 35, 1
    stat_pri_attr ap, long_pike
    stat_sec_attr no
    stat_pri_armour 11, 7, 5, flesh ; Heavy Scale ; defense pike 1+sup 1+dwarf 1+agility1 = 4 /2 = 2
    stat_heat 7
    stat_ground 0, -2, 0, 1
    stat_mental 15, disciplined, highly_trained, lock_morale
    stat_charge_dist 6
    stat_fire_delay 0
    stat_food 60, 300
    stat_cost 2, 1080, 330, 75, 200, 960, 4, 150
    armour_ug_levels 4, 5
    armour_ug_models iron_pike, iron_pike_ug1
    ownership moors
    era 0 moors
    era 1 moors
    era 2 moors
    recruit_priority_offset 8

I edit this and now they look like this

And export_descr.txt is beelow.

type Iron Pikemen
    dictionary Iron_Pikemen ; Iron Foot Pikes
    category infantry
    class spearmen
    voice_type Heavy​
    banner faction main_spear
    banner holy crusade
    soldier iron_pike, 48, 0, 1.875, 0.3
    officer dwarf_captain_iron_flag
    officer dwarven_officer
    mount_effect horse +1, camel +1, elephant +3
    attributes sea_faring, hide_forest, very_hardy, can_withdraw, pike, free_upkeep_unit, frighten_mounted
    formation 1.2, 1.2, 2.4, 2.4, 8, square, shield_wall
    stat_health 1, 2
    stat_pri 4, 6, no, 0, 0, melee, melee_blade, piercing, spear, 35, 1
    stat_pri_attr ap, spear, spear_bonus_8
    stat_sec_attr no
    stat_pri_armour 11, 7, 5, flesh ; Heavy Scale ; defense pike 1+sup 1+dwarf 1+agility1 = 4 /2 = 2
    stat_heat 7
    stat_ground 0, -2, 0, 1
    stat_mental 15, disciplined, highly_trained, lock_morale
    stat_charge_dist 6
    stat_fire_delay 0
    stat_food 60, 300
    stat_cost 2, 1080, 330, 75, 200, 960, 4, 150
    armour_ug_levels 4, 5
    armour_ug_models iron_pike, iron_pike_ug1
    ownership moors
    era 0 moors
    era 1 moors
    era 2 moors
    recruit_priority_offset 8

I read why you choose stat_pri_attr ap, long_pike
    So this part is only my suggestion.
    But you should change soldier iron_pike, 48, 0, 1.875, 0.3
    This part surely improve your unit and as long as I know, this is no risk.

Quote Originally Posted by ekusik View Post

Damn son...

Quote Originally Posted by King Brian View Post
    @Sk1p56 yea maybe, far into the future, I'm chilling right now so wanted to take a break and play the game and you know...life. Just the thought of having to map out that helmet and the chest piece and finding a good pic of it too that isn't freaking discolored like the one I found, and then making it double sided and texturing it correctly on the sides as well...thinking about it makes me lazy lol, I know how to do it, but it would require 2 or more hours of actual work.....and 6 more of headaches, so I'm gonna wait on that. I also want to once again redo the shield textures for the shield of that unit anyways, but yea, Iron Foot Pikemen, and Stompers I want to give them a new armor piece eventually, but not yet.
    Unfortunately I know nothing about modding...BUT! If you only will change their helmets...who knows. It shouldnt take time as much and you will be able do fast update! In my opinion it's the most characteristic thing in the Iron Hills army.

Last edited by Sk1p56; February 25, 2016 at 08:03 AM.

Ironfoot's Avatar Civis

I totally agree with Sk1p56.

It is shame that it is that hard to put them in DaC. But maybe it is possible to create a patch that will replace Iron Guard with Iron Foot Pikemen? I don't think it would be that hard just to replace Iron Guard with Iron Foot Pikemen. What do you think about it? Please think about my suggestion. I love your models! They are amazing!
    Last edited by dwarfDwalin; February 26, 2016 at 12:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ekusik View Post
    Hello King Brian.

I read why you choose stat_pri_attr ap, long_pike
    So this part is only my suggestion.
    But you should change soldier iron_pike, 48, 0, 1.875, 0.3
    This part surely improve your unit and as long as I know, this is no risk.
    Yea well, because the spear attribute carries penalties against infantry, I didn't want these guys to be cut down easily, considering they are elites, but maybe I over-estimated the penalty.....I was considering what is more important, the stat or the look of the formation. Think you persuaded me to patch it....but the spear bonus I'll set it to 6 not 8, that's too much, only one unit in game has it at 8 and that's the rudhaur pike.......but anyways, what is up with the 0.3 at the end of the soldier line? what does that affect?
    "