Page 356 of 360 FirstFirst ... 256306331346347348349350351352353354355356357358359360 LastLast
Results 7,101 to 7,120 of 7182

Thread: Discussion and Debate Community Thread

Default Re: Discussion and Debate Community Thread

Meh. Florida lawmakers are already clearing the way for de Santis to run for POTUS and he’s assembling a campaign staff. If the case drags on through the primaries, Disney will have played into his hands rather than put him in his place, even if they win.
    Of these facts there cannot be any shadow of doubt: for instance, that civil society was renovated in every part by Christian institutions; that in the strength of that renewal the human race was lifted up to better things-nay, that it was brought back from death to life, and to so excellent a life that nothing more perfect had been known before, or will come to be known in the ages that have yet to be. - Pope Leo XIII

irontaino's Avatar Protector Domesticus
    Citizen

If making himself look like a jackass is his grand plan, then sure...Disney is playing right into his hands

Meanwhile, Florida GOP pass legislation to block scrutiny into DeSantis' travels under the pretense of security.

Florida’s Republican-controlled Legislature agreed on Tuesday to shield the publicly-funded travel records of Gov. Ron DeSantis, giving his administration a way to block inquiries from the media and political opponents ahead of an expected run for president.
    The far-reaching bill would not only apply to DeSantis’ future movements but also could be used retroactively to deny access to information on trips he’s already taken....

...“This is truly a simple bill that is about safety and security,” said Rep. Jeff Holcomb (R-Spring Hill). “This bill is necessary because our senior state officials receive threats and death threats all of the time.”

Open government advocates, however, have repeatedly expressed alarm about the measure, S.B. 1616, and have said it would “blow a hole” in Florida’s well-regarded public records law. There is already speculation about mounting a possible legal challenge once DeSantis signs the bill into law.
    Nothing shady going on here.
    Fact:Apples taste good, and you can throw them at people if you're being attacked
    Under the patronage of big daddy Elfdude

A.B.A.P.

The vast majority of Republican voters back DeSantis in his fight with Disney and say his social agenda makes them more likely to vote for him. I doubt he cares what Democrats think. In the end Disney is handing him free publicity as he preps for his presidential run.
    Of these facts there cannot be any shadow of doubt: for instance, that civil society was renovated in every part by Christian institutions; that in the strength of that renewal the human race was lifted up to better things-nay, that it was brought back from death to life, and to so excellent a life that nothing more perfect had been known before, or will come to be known in the ages that have yet to be. - Pope Leo XIII

Another reason Desantis might be attacking Disney is to drive it from Florida to make the state poorer and increase unemployment. Just as Trump's tariffs were intended to impoverish farmers.

The unemployment rate right now is lower than any time in the last 50 years. Unemployment for African Americans is also at its lowest point in history. Wages have gone up more in the last three years then anytime in an entire generation. And more jobs are being created every month then even the experts anticipated. And this enrages the Republicans, both because a prosperous America is less likely to fall for their lies about the presence of dark-skinned and LGBT people being a scourge on the nation, and because Republicanism always seeks to push more of the 99% into poverty so that the hereditary aristocrat class can more easily control them and have someone to stomp on.

https://truthout.org/articles/texas-...polling-sites/

On Friday, lawmakers in the Texas House passed a bill that would allow certain election workers to carry handguns in a proposal that voting rights advocates say would decrease voter participation and create an atmosphere of intimidation at polling sites.
    The Republican-sponsored bill would allow election judges, or the presiding officer at a polling place, and some poll workers to carry handguns at polling sites on Election Day and during early voting. The bill, H.B. 636, passed 95 to 50 on Friday, with several Democrats joining Republicans in voting “yes.”
    I can see the intended results now:

-A Black man walks in to vote and is immediately met with 10 guns in his face and a "Walk away n-word."

-Later a White woman tries to vote, but an Abbot thug holds a loaded gun to her head to make sure she votes straight Republican.

-Shockingly enough, Republicans sweep the election, taking the presidency and congress!

-There are no further elections.

Vanoi's Avatar Dux Limitis
    Civitate

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...193609865.html

Good old GOP senator Tommy Tuberville who is currently holding up hundreds of military promotions, claims the US military is weak because the US does not allow white nationalists and other white extremists into the military.

I'd say I'm surprised someone from the GOP is defending white nationalism, but not really. Typical GOP here.

swabian's Avatar igni ferroque

Quote Originally Posted by Vanoi View Post
    https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...193609865.html

Good old GOP senator Tommy Tuberville who is currently holding up hundreds of military promotions, claims the US military is weak because the US does not allow white nationalists and other white extremists into the military.

I'd say I'm surprised someone from the GOP is defending white nationalism, but not really. Typical GOP here.
    You cannot possibly believe that this good vs. evil narrative is true. WTF is wrong with you? If you really believe half the country is fascist and lost to "evil", why aren't you taking your chances in leaving it? Canada is not far away.

Vanoi's Avatar Dux Limitis
    Civitate

Quote Originally Posted by swabian View Post
    You cannot possibly believe that this good vs. evil narrative is true. WTF is wrong with you? If you really believe half the country is fascist and lost to "evil", why aren't you taking your chances in leaving it? Canada is not far away.
    Wtf are you even going on about? Where the did I say half of America are fascists? How about to actually address the article and not lie about what I have actually said in my post.
    Last edited by Vanoi; May 14, 2023 at 08:23 PM.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/jus...-cas-rcna85852

WASHINGTON — The founder of the far-right Oath Keepers has been sentenced to 18 years in federal prison in connection with the Jan. 6 attack on the Capitol following his conviction on seditious conspiracy.
    The sentence for Stewart Rhodes is the longest imposed on a Jan. 6 defendant to date. In a politically-charged speech in the courtroom just before his sentencing, he called himself a "political prisoner" and said that when he talked about "regime change" in a phone call with supporters earlier this week, he meant he hopes that former President Donald Trump will win in 2024.

The judge disagreed that Rhodes had been locked up for politics, saying it was his actions that led to his criminal convictions.
    “You, sir, present an ongoing threat and a peril to this country and to the republic and to the very fabric of this democracy," Judge Amit Mehta said before handing down the sentence.
    Rhodes was convicted of seditious conspiracy in November along with Kelly Meggs, a fellow Oath Keepers member who will be sentenced later Thursday afternoon.
    "They won't fear us until we come with rifles in hand," Rhodes wrote in a message ahead of the Jan. 6 attack. After the attack, in a recording that was played in court during his trial, he said his only regret was that they “should have brought rifles.”
    He is going to have a hard time in prison. Like the rest of these traitors he is only tough when he has a gun in hand. Without it he's a scared little boy. And the other prisoners will see his weakness and know they can prey on him at will.

Oh well, I'm sure Trump will save him.

Quote Originally Posted by swabian View Post
    I don't think he is saying that, but I agree that the good vs evil narrative is (almost) always garbage. But take a look at who is using such narratives; it's not just people saying GOP are fascists...particular groups of people are pushing the narrative that their political opponents are trying to sexually groom children. These "my opponents literally support evil" narratives are unfortunately common and problematic.
    They give birth astride of a grave, the light gleams an instant, then it's night once more.

Axalon's Avatar She-Hulk wills it!

"In other news"...

2023 have so far been a rather slow affair for all terrorists across the globe... They (the terrorists) have not even managed to stage half of all the attacks staged back in 2022, so far in 2023 (over the same period). Is killing people over various dubious ideals and ideas finally losing its lustre? Time will tell, of course... Anyways, the worst attack of 2023, so far - strictly measured in human casualties - was staged at Peshwar, Pakistan in 30th January - resulting in some 84 killed (including the terrorist), with some 220+ people injured on top. The method used was suicide-bombing, btw... Another "glorious win" for the terrorists, supposedly... (source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...idents_in_2023)

- A

Axalon's Avatar She-Hulk wills it!

"And now, some breaking news..."

Italian rightwing slime-man and ex. prime minister Silvio Berlusconi dies at 86... Supposedly this will destabilize Italian politics for months to come if we are to believe the speculations of Reuters. Say what you will of this guy but he sure lived life in full, the best he could, and for better or worse. Personally, I was never a fan of him but many people clearly were, after all he was the longest serving prime minister in modern Italy - if I understood these things correctly...

Reuters have more…

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe...ia-2023-06-12/

- A

swabian's Avatar igni ferroque

I suspect they guy was pretty miserable in his late age. He had started out with a brief period of exlosive popularity, but since then (at least since the 90s) he had nothing but struggle, lawsuits, drama, etc. He certainly was a funny guy sometimes and a charmer, but that was probably when he still had some of his natural teeth and a true smile in his eyes. When he rudely excused Chanceloress Angela Merkel in front of running cameras during a public event, I took it for contempt towards Germany. But later, I took it for contempt towards Germany motivated by a massive Italian inferiority complex. Who cares, he is dead and my tears are with all the old Italian ladies who voted for their prince.

alhoon's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Moderator Emeritus

https://www.yahoo.com/news/first-ter...045853463.html

I agree with Crockett! I love that gal!
    alhoon is not a member of the infamous Hoons: a (fictional) nazi-sympathizer KKK clan. Of course, no Hoon would openly admit affiliation to the uninitiated.
    "Angry Uncle Gordon" describes me well.

Quote Originally Posted by alhoon View Post
    I agree with Crockett! I love that gal!
    Despite LT's chest beating and the GOP's ability to pick on trans people, the division with the party over the voter fraud narrative is quite severe and there doesn't seem to be a way to bridge that within the party. You either you believe the 2020 election was valid, or you don't, and the difference between those beliefs are going to radically impact what you think about policy/the state of the USA.
    They give birth astride of a grave, the light gleams an instant, then it's night once more.

alhoon's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Moderator Emeritus

https://www.yahoo.com/news/universit...205941877.html

The gist: An assistant professor from Pennsylvania state Uni sues the university because of racial discrimination policies in grading students. Faculty and teaching assistants were told to give better grades to Latin American and Black students and lower grades to East Asia and Indian students - or they would be accused for racism.

As the Assistant professor says, and I agree, the university expecting that black students CANNOT perform as well as white students and that white students CANNOT perform as well as Asian students and thus, these "deficiencies" should be fixed by lowering the bar for the "less academically inclined" skin-colors and increasing the bar for the "better performing" places of origin is inherently ... racist.
    There's no reason to expect that black students cannot do as well as whites and if the Indians, koreans, Japanese and Chinese spend more time studying than their peers this should be reflected in their grades.
    alhoon is not a member of the infamous Hoons: a (fictional) nazi-sympathizer KKK clan. Of course, no Hoon would openly admit affiliation to the uninitiated.
    "Angry Uncle Gordon" describes me well.

The race-based admissions systems that respondents em- ploy also fail to comply with the twin commands of the Equal Protection Clause that race may never be used as a “negative” and that it may not operate as a stereotype.

First, our cases have stressed that an individual’s race may never be used against him in the admissions process. Here, however, the First Circuit found that Harvard’s con- sideration of race has led to an 11.1% decrease in the num- ber of Asian-Americans admitted to Harvard. 980 F. 3d, at 170, n. 29. And the District Court observed that Harvard’s “policy of considering applicants’ race . . . overall results in fewer Asian American and white students being admitted.” 397 F. Supp. 3d, at 178.

Yet by accepting race-based admissions programs in which some students may obtain preferences on the basis of race alone, respondents’ programs tolerate the very thing that Grutter foreswore: stereotyping. The point of respond- ents’ admissions programs is that there is an inherent ben- efit in race qua race—in race for race’s sake. Respondents admit as much. Harvard’s admissions process rests on the pernicious stereotype that “a black student can usually bring something that a white person cannot offer.” Bakke, 438 U. S., at 316 (opinion of Powell, J.) (internal quotation marks omitted); see also Tr. of Oral Arg. in No. 20–1199, at 92. UNC is much the same. It argues that race in itself “says [something] about who you are.” Tr. of Oral Arg. in No. 21–707, at 97; see also id., at 96 (analogizing being of a certain race to being from a rural area).

We have time and again forcefully rejected the notion that government actors may intentionally allocate prefer- ence to those “who may have little in common with one an- other but the color of their skin.” Shaw, 509 U. S., at 647. The entire point of the Equal Protection Clause is that treating someone differently because of their skin color is not like treating them differently because they are from a city or from a suburb, or because they play the violin poorly or well.

Most troubling of all is what the dissent must make these omissions to defend: a judiciary that picks winners and los- ers based on the color of their skin. While the dissent would certainly not permit university programs that discrimi- nated against black and Latino applicants, it is perfectly willing to let the programs here continue. In its view, this Court is supposed to tell state actors when they have picked the right races to benefit. Separate but equal is “inherently unequal,” said Brown. 347 U. S., at 495 (emphasis added).

For the reasons provided above, the Harvard and UNC admissions programs cannot be reconciled with the guaran- tees of the Equal Protection Clause. Both programs lack sufficiently focused and measurable objectives warranting the use of race, unavoidably employ race in a negative man- ner, involve racial stereotyping, and lack meaningful end points. We have never permitted admissions programs to work in that way, and we will not do so today.
    https://www.supremecourt.gov/opinion...-1199_hgdj.pdf
    Love this court. You know it’s the most antiracist in modern history when the dissent implicitly affirms the SCOTUS decision that declared segregation constitutional.

Citizen

Ironically, it's white women that benefitted most from affirmative action. Meanwhile, we still have affirmative action for rich kids, it's called legacy admissions.
    Fact:Apples taste good, and you can throw them at people if you're being attacked

A.B.A.P.

I suppose that’s why the court didn’t mention needs based financial aid. I know Twitter said legacy admissions are a gotcha, but they should learn how SCOTUS works.
    Last edited by Lord Thesaurian; July 01, 2023 at 09:31 AM.

Citizen

Those were definitely words.

A.B.A.P.