Thread: Discussion and Debate Community Thread

Default Re: Discussion and Debate Community Thread

There's been an extensive debate on Afghanistan (and Biden's botched withdrawal) here. There's no need to rehash the same arguments in this thread.

swabian's Avatar igni ferroque

Quote Originally Posted by Cope View Post
    There's been an extensive debate on Afghanistan (and Biden's botched withdrawal) here. There's no need to rehash the same arguments in this thread.
    Goodman Cope. I of course did not read the thread. It's unbearable. And if the matter would have been discussed and decided and if constructs would have emerged that are effective in criticizing Biden's person, then the same constructs would have been repeated succinctly by the inclined individuals, instead of this nonsense.

https://thehill.com/regulation/court...-ankle-monitor

A Capitol riot defendant who prosecutors believe is a member of the Proud Boys has asked a judge to remove the GPS ankle monitor he was ordered to wear as part of his conditional release, noting that the device has “started beeping loudly” around potential business clients.
    You can almost hear his indignant cries of "But those are for N-words!"

https://thehill.com/regulation/court...prison-release

A federal judge this week denied a request from the Capitol riot defendant known as the “QAnon Shaman” to be temporarily released from custody to visit his sick grandfather before he died Thursday.
    "WAAAAHHH! Nobody told me jail was rough! WAAAAHHH! Mommy I want my organic food!"

https://thehill.com/policy/national-...o-shoot-pelosi

A man who officials say traveled to Washington, D.C. for Jan. 6 and threatened to shoot Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) in the head on live television pleaded guilty Friday.
    Cleveland Meredith Jr., 53, pleaded guilty to one count interstate communication of threats because of a text message he sent to a relative on Jan. 7.

“Thinking about heading over to Pelosi C---’s speech and putting a bullet in her noggin on Live TV,” it read, according to authorities, followed by a purple devil emoji.
    He admitted to sending the text message in a plea deal, but argued that it was “political hyperbole.”

Meredith planned to drive from Colorado to Washington, D.C. on Jan. 6 to attend rallies in support of then-President Trump and his claims that the 2020 election was stolen, but arrived in the nation’s capital too late because of car troubles, according to court documents.
    He had a Tavor X95 rifle, a Glock 9mm handgun and roughly 2,500 rounds of ammunition with him, officials said.
    Good think they got this lunatic before he decided to shoot up a kindergarten.

Just about the only thing Biden could do to salvage his legacy at this point.

If Washington chooses to court CPTPP members once again, the Biden administration should be mindful that the United States is no longer the gatekeeper of the agreement. Washington would be asking CPTPP members to join forces with it after having abandoned them five years ago. No matter how open CPTPP members might be to U.S. participation, there will be limits on the revisions they could accept. Coaxing U.S. lawmakers to support a regional trade accord will be tricky as well. Nevertheless, the Biden administration should keep this option alive. As the United States works to restore its credibility and influence around the world and compete with China, it cannot afford to consign itself to the sidelines and let others hammer out the rules that will shape the future of the global economy.

https://www.foreignaffairs.com/artic...ic-partnership
    Of these facts there cannot be any shadow of doubt: for instance, that civil society was renovated in every part by Christian institutions; that in the strength of that renewal the human race was lifted up to better things-nay, that it was brought back from death to life, and to so excellent a life that nothing more perfect had been known before, or will come to be known in the ages that have yet to be. - Pope Leo XIII

swabian's Avatar igni ferroque

Quote Originally Posted by Coughdrop addict View Post
    https://thehill.com/regulation/court...-ankle-monitor

You can almost hear his indignant cries of "But those are for N-words!"

https://thehill.com/regulation/court...prison-release

"WAAAAHHH! Nobody told me jail was rough! WAAAAHHH! Mommy I want my organic food!"
    Ehm, I think you have very keen perception and a high degree of sensitivity towards social disturbances. I don't know who you are of course and what you personally went through and I really don't mean any disrespect: What I'm thinking is that you're generally not wrong, but you tend to really exaggerate things. Of course I can't expect that whatever I say restores your trust in society again, but i think someone needs to let you know once in a while, that you're not really surrounded by monsters. I really hope what I say supports you somehow. Sorry if it doesn't.

Cheers

Its funny how government that says that you don't need guns to defend yourself has surrounding itself with troops armed with guns, because constituents are scary.

Looks like the Administration is married to the “Trump/the Taliban made me do it” defense of their “completely successful” withdrawal. It’s an easy lie to expose, and some attempted to do so. Blinken then retreated further to a battered wife defense, arguing the Taliban would be angry if the US didn’t do what we were told - even though the Administration had already extended the Doha deadline just because it wanted to. Characteristic of this Administration, Blinken lied and deflected his way through a series of conflicting assertions, giving nothing more than was already known. A real “tree of liberty” moment on the Hill today and yesterday.
    Of these facts there cannot be any shadow of doubt: for instance, that civil society was renovated in every part by Christian institutions; that in the strength of that renewal the human race was lifted up to better things-nay, that it was brought back from death to life, and to so excellent a life that nothing more perfect had been known before, or will come to be known in the ages that have yet to be. - Pope Leo XIII

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Thesaurian View Post
    Looks like the Administration is married to the “Trump/the Taliban made me do it” defense of their “completely successful” withdrawal. It’s an easy lie to expose, and some attempted to do so. Blinken then retreated further to a battered wife defense, arguing the Taliban would be angry if the US didn’t do what we were told - even though the Administration had already extended the Doha deadline just because it wanted to. Characteristic of this Administration, Blinken lied and deflected his way through a series of conflicting assertions, giving nothing more than was already known. A real “tree of liberty” moment on the Hill today and yesterday.
    When someone says "looks like" its usually accompanied with substance to show it looks like that.
    The Armenian Issue

Quote Originally Posted by PointOfViewGun View Post
    When someone says "looks like" its usually accompanied with substance to show it looks like that.
    Wasn’t aware I had to read the news to you? What exactly are you disputing?

Wasn’t aware I had to read the news to you? What exactly are you disputing?
    You don't have to but its good practice to substantiate your references with actual sources.
    The Armenian Issue

Quote Originally Posted by PointOfViewGun View Post
    You don't have to but its good practice to substantiate your references with actual sources.
    What I’ve said is universal enough to be in the headlines. In that situation one only needs to start citing stuff if someone disputes something. Are you? And if so, what are your sources?
    Last edited by Lord Thesaurian; September 14, 2021 at 09:17 AM.

What I’ve said is universal enough to be in the headlines. In that situation one only needs to start citing stuff if someone disputes something. Are you? And if so, what are your sources?
    I haven't seen the narrative you're putting forward here. Can you cite any articles alluding to that?
    The Armenian Issue

It is common knowledge that the Biden administration used the Doha agreement to excuse the bungled exit.

Blinken lays blame on Trump as he defends messy withdrawal from Afghanistan

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/0...anistan-511677
    Antony Blinken Defends Afghanistan Withdrawal, Citing Trump’s Deal

https://www.wsj.com/articles/antony-...es-11631538001
    “We inherited a deadline. We did not inherit a plan,” the secretary of State said in congressional testimony.

Blinken said the Biden administration was handcuffed by Trump’s agreement with the Taliban, which in part reduced the U.S. troop presence to 2,500 by the time Biden took office. With the Taliban continuing its “relentless” military campaign regardless of that agreement, Blinken said, Biden “immediately faced the choice between ending the war or escalating it.”

“Had [Biden] not followed through on his predecessor’s commitment, attacks on our forces and those of our allies would have resumed and the Taliban’s nationwide assault on Afghanistan’s major cities would have commenced,” Blinken said.
    “The Taliban made abundantly clear…that it was going to hold us to the deadline that the previous administration negotiated in terms of withdrawing American forces,” Secretary of State Antony Blinken told the House Foreign Affairs Committee.
    A self refuting claim since, as I said, the Taliban commenced a “nationwide assault” anyway, and the Administration had already extended the deadline at will, despite overt threats from the Taliban, and sent in thousands more troops, again at will, to support the Administration’s objectives. These were decisions the Administration made, not Trump.
    Last edited by Lord Thesaurian; September 14, 2021 at 10:02 AM.

Vanoi's Avatar Dux Limitis
    Civitate

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/m/64e3834...media-law.html

How long before this gets struck down? Anyone wanna take bets?

It seems that states will listen to federal government less and less now. Kinda like USSR and its own republics breaking away over time.
    Also the point of 1st is that it ensures free exchange of ideas in society, it does not imply the right for silicon valley bugmen to censor opinions on the Internet. I am fine with pressuring and penalizing corporations for censoring content that doesn't break US laws.

The common carrier approach to big tech regulation could work supposing that it was enacted federally, rather than locally. It is (or at least was) already applied to ISPs to enforce net neutrality, which, so far as I recall, prevents ISPs from discriminating on the basis of content. That said, this Texan legislation looks to be more of a gesture than a meaningful challenge to online censorship. For the time being, conservatives and other dissidents will have to rely on building their own platforms.

A self refuting claim since, as I said, the Taliban commenced a “nationwide assault” anyway, and the Administration had already extended the deadline at will, despite overt threats from the Taliban, and sent in thousands more troops, again at will, to support the Administration’s objectives. These were decisions the Administration made, not Trump.
    Now that's much much better. Thank you.
    The Armenian Issue

The first call was prompted by Milley’s review of intelligence suggesting the Chinese believed the United States was preparing to attack. That belief, the authors write, was based on tensions over military exercises in the South China Sea, and deepened by Trump’s belligerent rhetoric toward China.

“General Li, I want to assure you that the American government is stable and everything is going to be okay,” Milley told him. “We are not going to attack or conduct any kinetic operations against you.”

In the book’s account, Milley went so far as to pledge he would alert his counterpart in the event of a U.S. attack, stressing the rapport they’d established through a backchannel. “General Li, you and I have known each other for now five years. If we’re going to attack, I’m going to call you ahead of time. It’s not going to be a surprise.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...-milley-china/
    No wonder Beijing is increasingly convinced they’ll be able to take Taiwan before the US can respond. They’ve evidently got a man on the inside. Milley is the highest ranking officer in the US military. Let that sink in.