Page 17 of 361 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314151617181920212223242526274267117 ... LastLast

Thread: Discussion and Debate Community Thread

Iskar's Avatar Insanity with Dignity
    took an arrow to the knee

Frankfurt, München, somtimes my beloved Rhineland

Default Re: Discussion and Debate Community Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Menelik_I View Post
    [...] RULE BRITANIA and Vote for Brexit.
    So will leaving the EU cost Britannia an n? That might be too high a price to pay.
    "Non i titoli illustrano gli uomini, ma gli uomini i titoli." - Niccolo Machiavelli, Discorsi
    "Du musst die Sterne und den Mond enthaupten, und am besten auch den Zar. Die Gestirne werden sich behaupten, aber wahrscheinlich nicht der Zar." - Einstürzende Neubauten, Weil, Weil, Weil

On an eternal crusade for reason, logics, catholicism and chocolate. Mostly chocolate, though.

I can heartily recommend the Italian Wars mod by Aneirin.
    In exile, but still under the patronage of the impeccable Aikanár, alongside Aneirin. Humble patron of Cyclops, Frunk and Abdülmecid I.

Quote Originally Posted by Iskar View Post
    So will leaving the EU cost Britannia an n? That might be too high a price to pay.
    They'll take our Ns either way. At least if we leave it'll be our own elected leaders that get all the extra Ns.

Derpy Hooves's Avatar Bombs for Muffins
    My flagship, the Litany of Truth, spreading DESPAIR across the galaxy

Quote Originally Posted by mishkin View Post
    I know, american. Born in South America, he emigrated with his parents to the north (Canada). American.
    This is probably bait, but whenever anyone says American, it refers to someone from the US. Referring to someone from one of the American continents you say either North American or South American.

Quote Originally Posted by Menelik_I View Post
    [...] RULE BRITANIA and Vote for Brexit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Almogaver View Post
    [...] God bless the almighty power of Albion and its Empire! With the trade routes to the colonies firmly secured, nothing will stop Britain and its neverending glory! Rule Brittania!

[...]
    I am very excited as to how many more alternative spellings of that roman province north of La Manche () will emerge as we near the referendum.
    "Non i titoli illustrano gli uomini, ma gli uomini i titoli." - Niccolo Machiavelli, Discorsi
    "Du musst die Sterne und den Mond enthaupten, und am besten auch den Zar. Die Gestirne werden sich behaupten, aber wahrscheinlich nicht der Zar." - Einstürzende Neubauten, Weil, Weil, Weil

On an eternal crusade for reason, logics, catholicism and chocolate. Mostly chocolate, though.

In exile, but still under the patronage of the impeccable Aikanár, alongside Aneirin. Humble patron of Cyclops, Frunk and Abdülmecid I.

Quote Originally Posted by Char Aznable View Post
    This is probably bait, but whenever anyone says American, it refers to someone from the US. Referring to someone from one of the American continents you say either North American or South American.
    it's not bait, there are lots of people outside of the US who think it's arrogant that the term 'Americans' should only be used on people from the US, when both continents are the Americas

the word 'American' is continually raped of meaning anyway, first it meant the indigenous people that were already here, now it's even used as an ethnicity for people who live in the Appalachian region and the southern states, they just check "American" in the census probably because of some nativist obsession with being a "bonafide American", or maybe they just can't trace back their lineage

the term 'American' is apparently what anyone wants it to be these days

Lord Oda Nobunaga's Avatar 大信皇帝
    Patrician

In South America this is true. "they think there are all of America, arrogant gringos"

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

Everywhere else, they're described as ugly.
    Eats, shoots, and leaves.

Derpy Hooves's Avatar Bombs for Muffins
    My flagship, the Litany of Truth, spreading DESPAIR across the galaxy

Quote Originally Posted by snuggans View Post
    it's not bait, there are lots of people outside of the US who think it's arrogant that the term 'Americans' should only be used on people from the US, when both continents are the Americas

the word 'American' is continually raped of meaning anyway, first it meant the indigenous people that were already here, now it's even used as an ethnicity for people who live in the Appalachian region and the southern states, they just check "American" in the census probably because of some nativist obsession with being a "bonafide American", or maybe they just can't trace back their lineage

the term 'American' is apparently what anyone wants it to be these days
    Officially it is, and has been for at least two centuries, been recognized as someone from the United States of America. The only people who think otherwise are South Americans,Central Americans, and Iberians

We got the name first, deal with it

mishkin's Avatar Dux Limitis
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Oda Nobunaga View Post
    arrogant gringos
    Arrogance? Where???

Blog Entries

Damned Aragoneses

Patrician

Can you blame them? Spaniards took all their gold.

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

All Barc, no bite.

Default Teenage recruits were forced to rape each other for over 50 years in the Australian military

Here are some quotes from this CNN article:
    The Royal Commission into Institutional Responses to Child Sex Abuse is hearing evidence from men and women who say they were sexually abused when they were as young as 15, in certain divisions of the Australian defense force.
    In total, 111 victims came forward to report abuse. More than a dozen of them will give evidence to the inquiry in Sydney, which continues until July 1.
    He said one of the attackers tried to force him to give oral sex, then they held him down while his genitals were covered with boot polish and scrubbed with a hard brush.
    Of course, it must be said that a lot of people have served in the Australian military in the last 50 years. Most former soldiers who have commented never saw or heard about such extreme hazing.
    Last edited by Tiberios; June 22, 2016 at 09:30 AM. Reason: Off topic.

A short reminder, in light of the Ayatollah Chamenei thread: Necroing old threads is generally prohibited. If you want to start a new discussion, do so in an appropriate thread in the appropriate subsection (e.g. discussing the relationship between orient and occident (or any part thereof) in general would go into the Political Academy rather than the Mudpit).

Also, note that personal references, disruptive posting and off-topic comments are strictly prohibited. Keep your comments civil, to the point, and do not make personal statements about other members, even when addressed as part of a group ("You Westerners...", "You Iranians...", etc.).

Thank You.
    Last edited by Iskar; June 25, 2016 at 08:07 AM.

Blog Entries

In my country a political party mixed up in multiple cases of corruption (i.e: every responsible for their finances have gone through jail or are in it) have won the elections again. The last case, only a few days ago: the "internal affairs" minister colluding with the tax office to find and tell the press anything to attack the Catalans sovereignists. I am Spanish. I am really proud.

Patrician

I don't get how with the Brexit stuff now why the Catalans haven't exploded into a secessionist fury? Same with the Basques. You would think that now would be the perfect time to press their claims.

Blog Entries

Catalans want to be part of the E.U., that woud be a little bit weird.

Sir Adrian's Avatar the Imperishable

Quote Originally Posted by mishkin View Post
    In my country a political party mixed up in multiple cases of corruption (i.e: every responsible for their finances have gone through jail or are in it) have won the elections again. The last case, only a few days ago: the "internal affairs" minister colluding with the tax office to find and tell the press anything to attack the Catalans sovereignists. I am Spanish. I am really proud.
    The same has been happening in my country since 1990
    Under the patronage of Pie the Inkster Click here to find a hidden gem on the forum!

Until last Thursday, regionalism may have been kept in check, since if everyone is going to be ruled from Brussels, it didn't matter if there was another layer of middle management.