Thread: Discussion and Debate Community Thread

mishkin's Avatar Dux Limitis
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Discussion and Debate Community Thread

He seems like an exhibitionist jerk to me more than a person on the autism spectrum. You and I are not going to diagnose him here, and if you believe anything he says, that's fine.

alhoon's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by mishkin View Post
    He seems like an exhibitionist jerk to me more than a person on the autism spectrum. You and I are not going to diagnose him here, and if you believe anything he says, that's fine.
    I don't believe anything he says. I believe that though. It's not EVERYTHING or NOTHING.
    alhoon is not a member of the infamous Hoons: a (fictional) nazi-sympathizer KKK clan. Of course, no Hoon would openly admit affiliation to the uninitiated.
    "Angry Uncle Gordon" describes me well.

mishkin's Avatar Dux Limitis
    Blog Entries

Right now I wouldn't believe him if he told me what time it is. And thinking about it probably if someone asks him what time it is he will answer some funny ###

Morticia Iunia Bruti's Avatar Praeses

Quote Originally Posted by Coughdrop addict View Post
    Why of course, he is a very smart brat with no social skills, poor impulse control, and a messiah complex, a combination that leads him to vastly overestimate his abilities and misjudge or never even consider how his actions will be perceived by others. So he often ends up looking stupid.
    Quod erat demonstrandum:

Elon Musk auf Twitter: „And lead us not into temptation … https://t.co/8qNOXzwXS9“ / Twitter
    Cause tomorrow is a brand-new day
    And tomorrow you'll be on your way
    Don't give a damn about what other people say
    Because tomorrow is a brand-new day

Praeses

Has Elon posted an autism diagnosis or is he a "hehe I'm so random on the spectrum fr fr".

I have a coupla relatives on the spectrum with an actual diagnosis and years of therapy to achieve and ability to function socially, and its a wee bit irritating when people use fake self diagnosis as a personality substitute. The "Oh that's just my OCD/no I don't take meds/no actually its self diagnosed) are similar. Horrific condition.

He's not obligated to share his medical stuff, but it wouldn't be the first time a celebrity (and he has a thirst for celebrity, absolute media whore in the strictest sense, played it for cash many times) faked a condition for attention.

It sorta looks like his decision to disclose (or fake) autism is part of a curated public persona based around a gamer/4chan profile.

Definitely an experienced meme campaigner, made bucks off pumping stocks (gamestonks! and Bit and Doge coins) but not necessarily the most skilled. If Twitter dies he's already positioned a "blue haired chicks killed this bird" narrative, although I think it is more likely as a Billionaire he'd be bailed out with federal money.
    Jatte lambastes Calico Rat

AqD's Avatar 。◕‿◕。

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    although I think it is more likely as a Billionaire he'd be bailed out with federal money.
    federal money bails out essential service like banks. Twitter is just an attention grabbing tool like text version of instagram.

Also he just trashed the company and turned it like SpaceX without space. We don't need another leading company treating employees like trash. He is more suited to run sweatshops and better move to China with his cars and batteries.

Vanoi's Avatar Dux Limitis
    Civitate

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...ther-interview
    In a series of interviews, Aaron Brink told San Diego’s CBS8 that when he first received a telephone call from his child’s public defender, his first reaction was to question why his child was in the club.

“And then I go on to find out it’s a gay bar. I said, ‘God, is he gay?’ I got scared, ‘, is he gay?’ And he’s not gay, so I said, ‘Phew …’”
    Father of the year right here.

irontaino's Avatar Protector Domesticus
    Citizen

Mormon meth head cool with his son killing people as long as he isn't gay.
    Fact:Apples taste good, and you can throw them at people if you're being attacked
    Under the patronage of big daddy Elfdude

A.B.A.P.

And the worst thing? 80%-90% of Republican voters are the same. Terrified their kid might be gay and ready to disown them for it, brimming with pride to hear they've committed a mass shooting.

Gaius Baltar's Avatar Old gods die hard
    Blog Entries

Apparent widespread and massive protests erupting in China now, over zero tolerance virus policy and authoritarianism. Protesters demand Xi Jinping step down. Are we going to see a repeat of 1989?

​​
    Pillaging and Plundering since 2006

The House of Baltar

Neither is this the dawn from the east, nor is a dragon flying above, nor are the gables of this hall aflame. Nay, mortal enemies approach in ready armour. Ravens are calling, wolves are howling, spear clashes and shield answers

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius Baltar View Post
    Apparent widespread and massive protests erupting in China now, over zero tolerance virus policy and authoritarianism. Protesters demand Xi Jinping step down. Are we going to see a repeat of 1989?
    The protests are nowhere near that scale, at least not at this time. Beijing has ample resources to shut down dissent, especially since Covid. Hats off to the brave souls who march knowing they will be blacklisted from pretty much everything or worse, but if I were a betting man, these people will die in a dark, dank room somewhere before it’s even necessary to roll out the tanks.
    Of these facts there cannot be any shadow of doubt: for instance, that civil society was renovated in every part by Christian institutions; that in the strength of that renewal the human race was lifted up to better things-nay, that it was brought back from death to life, and to so excellent a life that nothing more perfect had been known before, or will come to be known in the ages that have yet to be. - Pope Leo XIII

Praeses

The CCP seems to default to Tianamen tactics when theres stress. They worry in particular about student protests as the represent a potential leader class to displace the present elite I guess. Are the students out in force?

Gaius Baltar's Avatar Old gods die hard
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Thesaurian View Post
    The protests are nowhere near that scale, at least not at this time. Beijing has ample resources to shut down dissent, especially since Covid. Hats off to the brave souls who march knowing they will be blacklisted from pretty much everything or worse, but if I were a betting man, these people will die in a dark, dank room somewhere before it’s even necessary to roll out the tanks.
    I see multiple reports now of armored vehicles being deployed in the cities. I wonder how long it will be before some of these units join the protesters?

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops
    Are the students out in force?
    Apparently so, many Chinese universities have shut down and have sent the students home in order to try and control the protests.

​​
    Pillaging and Plundering since 2006

The House of Baltar

Neither is this the dawn from the east, nor is a dragon flying above, nor are the gables of this hall aflame. Nay, mortal enemies approach in ready armour. Ravens are calling, wolves are howling, spear clashes and shield answers

I see multiple reports now of armored vehicles being deployed in the cities. I wonder how long it will be before some of these units join the protesters?
    The protests are mostly against the zero covid policy. Any calls for regime change that try to co-opt protests can be dealt with. It’s important to remember the CCP is much stronger today, economically and technologically, than it was in 1989. Things can always change, but I wouldn’t overstate the gravity of the situation.
    Apparently so, many Chinese universities have shut down and have sent the students home in order to try and control the protests.
    This makes sense, given that’s where talk of the “D” word is coming from.
    Of these facts there cannot be any shadow of doubt: for instance, that civil society was renovated in every part by Christian institutions; that in the strength of that renewal the human race was lifted up to better things-nay, that it was brought back from death to life, and to so excellent a life that nothing more perfect had been known before, or will come to be known in the ages that have yet to be. - Pope Leo XIII

Praeses

Oh no.

How the turn tables:

Kurdish PKK Founder Abdullah Ocalan Takes Greece to European Court
    Abdullah Ocalan, the founder of the Kurdish PKK organization, has appealed to the European Court of Human Rights (ECHR) accusing Greece of violating his rights during his stay in the country.
    In 1988, Ocalan who is serving life in a Turkish prison, sought refuge in Greece to avoid capture by Turkey, where he was regarded as a terrorist seeking autonomy for Kurdistan. Greek secret services initially permitted him to remain covertly in the country.
    When rumors of his Greek hideout reached the Turkish secret service MIT and the CIA, Greece sent him to its embassy in Nairobi, Kenya where he stayed for a time at the ambassador’s residence.
    Ocalan who has been detained since February 1999 at the high-security Imrali prison in Turkey claims that Greece failed to protect his human rights and grant him asylum as his life was in danger from Turkey.
    The proceedings of this case will be very interesting to read as Greece will either deny complying with the court or end up disclosing damning information...
    The Armenian Issue

Sir Adrian's Avatar the Imperishable

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Thesaurian View Post
    Actually they were on that scale. The protests were organized via AirDrop on iPhone, which unintentionally used to circumvent the Great Firewall. Were and used to because Apple recently dropped a China only update that automatically deactivates AirDrop after 10 minutes and you will no longer receive any sent messages while it is deactivated.
    Under the patronage of Pie the Inkster Click here to find a hidden gem on the forum!

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Adrian View Post
    Actually they were on that scale. The protests were organized via AirDrop on iPhone, which unintentionally used to circumvent the Great Firewall. Were and used to because Apple recently dropped a China only update that automatically deactivates AirDrop after 10 minutes and you will no longer receive any sent messages while it is deactivated.
    Meh. Beijing has been preparing for this since 1989. Chinese security services have the tools to track down every single person who publicly participates in any protest. Arrests/disappearances are in progress. People know the stakes, which is why it’s so impressive this happened at all. But going forward, I don’t see any cohesion or direction from the protests that can circumvent the intense internal security apparatus.

Sir Adrian's Avatar the Imperishable

Yes, because Apple removed the only means to maintain that cohesion.
    Under the patronage of Pie the Inkster Click here to find a hidden gem on the forum!

For once news regarding laws based on primitive superstitions and fairy tales being imposed on an unwilling people isn't coming from the US: https://www.cnn.com/2022/12/05/asia/...hnk/index.html

Indonesian lawmakers passed a sweeping new criminal code on Tuesday that criminalizes sex outside marriage, as part of a tranche of changes that critics say threaten human rights and freedoms in the Southeast Asian country.
    The new code, which also applies to foreign residents and tourists, bans cohabitation before marriage, apostasy, and provides punishments for insulting the president or expressing views counter to the national ideology.