Thread: Discussion and Debate Community Thread

Default Re: Discussion and Debate Community Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Prodromos View Post

These grifters are a cancer on the Republican Party, a bigger threat to the future of conservatism than Bernie Sanders could ever dream of being.

Young Republican Grifters Own Libs, Destroy Conservative Movement
    That's an amusing accusation coming from a follower of Ben Shapiro - you know the guy whose fame is largely derived from "owning the libs".

Quote Originally Posted by ep1c_fail View Post
    That's an amusing accusation coming from a follower of Ben Shapiro - you know the guy whose fame is largely derived from "owning the libs".
    The idea that Ben's KTTH debates are in the same league as Schlichter's race-war smut novels is absurd. Ben actually has principles and uses cogent, fact-based arguments to support his beliefs; that's how he "owns the libs." That's not comparable to the grifters promoting their personal brands under the guise of conservatism.

Calling me a follower of Ben is a stretch. I used to like him because he was a principled libertarian and very religious, but like I said, these days he's flirting with Trumpism a bit too much for my taste, and I can't remember the last time he talked about religion or morality.

Meanwhile, here's what the Lib-owner in Chief is up to.

Nothing says conservatism like... telling an 11-year-old girl to drop dead.
    Ignore List (to save time):

Exarch, Coughdrop addict

The idea that Ben's KTTH debates are in the same league as Schlichter's race-war smut novels is absurd. Ben actually has principles and uses cogent, fact-based arguments to support his beliefs; that's how he "owns the libs." That's not comparable to the grifters promoting their personal brands under the guise of conservatism.

Calling me a follower of Ben is a stretch. I used to like him because he was a principled libertarian and very religious, but like I said, these days he's flirting with Trumpism a bit too much for my taste, and I can't remember the last time he talked about religion or morality.

The idea that the Republican Party was some sort of beacon of small-state conservatism, religiosity and constitutionalism prior to 2015 is utterly delusional. Politics concerns the temporal power struggles of men: it can never be reconciled with what is asked of men by God.
    Last edited by Cope; October 10, 2019 at 03:18 AM.

Do you really want to bring morality into politics? You're starting to sound like a Merkel fan. Careful what you wish for.

Um yeah, but these are primary sources and hence to be treated with caution. Are there objective reports corroborating these accounts?

Mithradates's Avatar Domesticus

Honestly, those three stories sound like activist propaganda.

They're testimonies from actual immigrants. The stories seem credible to me since they comport with the experiences of numerous other immigrants. This type of behavior is sadly the norm in immigration enforcement. These stories are actually pretty tame compared to what many other immigrants go through.

The whole culture at ICE and Border Patrol tolerates and encourages the mistreatment and dehumanization of immigrants. They know that with Trump in the White House no one will hold them accountable for their crimes. He's a big fan of their work. His only complaint is that their actions aren't illegal enough for his liking.

Shoot Migrants’ Legs, Build Alligator Moat: Behind Trump’s Ideas for Border

Privately, the president had often talked about fortifying a border wall with a water-filled trench, stocked with snakes or alligators, prompting aides to seek a cost estimate. He wanted the wall electrified, with spikes on top that could pierce human flesh. After publicly suggesting that soldiers shoot migrants if they threw rocks, the president backed off when his staff told him that was illegal. But later in a meeting, aides recalled, he suggested that they shoot migrants in the legs to slow them down. That’s not allowed either, they told him...

On a trip to California late in the week, Mr. Trump turned to Mr. McAleenan, the Customs and Border Protection chief, with a new idea: He wanted him to stop letting migrants cross the border at all, with no exceptions. If you get into any trouble for it, Mr. Trump told him, I’ll pardon you.

Once on the ground, Mr. Trump met up with Ms. Nielsen and worked a room filled with Border Patrol agents. Start turning away migrants at the border, he told them. My message to you is, keep them all out, the president said. Every single one of them. The country is full.

After the president left the room, Mr. McAleenan told the agents to ignore the president. You absolutely do not have the authority to stop processing migrants altogether, he warned.

Exarch, Coughdrop addict

A big issue with ICE is that their mission overlaps with existing government agencies. Moreover, removal of illegal immigrants should not be the primary mission of ICE, nor should it be the primary issue of any government agency. ICE should really be a sub-unit of US Customs and Border Protection. DHL needs a major reform, they perform a critical role and provide a lot of necessary manpower that's simply required to properly secure the borders. The wide reach of their power has opened the door to some gross abuses of power over the years, and in general, when it comes to justice reform, DHL is second on the list after prison policy.

Morticia Iunia Bruti's Avatar Praeses

Cause tomorrow is a brand-new day
    And tomorrow you'll be on your way
    Don't give a damn about what other people say
    Because tomorrow is a brand-new day

Irish people are very funny.

Exarch, Coughdrop addict

Wikipedia? More like Vikiçediäğlu:

Quote Originally Posted by Abdülmecid I View Post
    Wikipedia? More like Vikiçediäğlu:

I don't get it. Which part of the 2d. poster's comment is incorrect?

Nothing is incorrect. The target of the joke is Pam Keith, her ignorance and her conspiratorial view about Wikipedia.

Turkey didn't "fight for Germany" in WWI, they fought for themselves alongside Germany and Austria-Hungary. Mrs Keith actually got that part more accurately than the responder, she just mixed up the time period. Of course, the entire exchange is retarded, since it's based on the premise of trying to score moral points... in the context of WWI.

Well, as Pam Keith explained in her "two simultaneous chats at the same time" on the history and geography of that area, prior to WWII "when Turkey joined the Axis" that area "was still part of Constantinople and all that".

It looks like Turkish trolls and bots have also managed to move Iran:

Quote Originally Posted by Enros View Post
    You don't seem to be familiar with how the burden of proof works in when discussing social justice. It's not like science where it lies on the one making the claim. If someone claims to be oppressed, they don't have to prove it.

swabian's Avatar igni ferroque

Talking of Turkish trolls rearranging the world...

I wonder if Trump's recent ceasefire-deal with the Sultan was similarly inspired.

Quote Originally Posted by swabian View Post
    Talking of Turkish trolls rearranging the world...
    I wonder if Trump's recent ceasefire-deal with the Sultan was similarly inspired.
    Interesting article that largely distorts reality about Gülen. It was likely paid by Gülen's organization.
    The Armenian Issue

They're clearly ready for statehood.

Palestinian who converted to Judaism arrested, badly beaten by PA

The 50-year-old man, who appears to be a grandson of a Palestinian who helped save Jews during 1929 Hebron massacre, has been held for the past 2 weeks on pretext of assaulting his brother; meanwhile, the man says his siblings mercilessly beat him, while PA police gave him burns on his arms and legs
    Haim Perg, the leader of the Jewish community in Hebron, is helping the Palestinian with his legal troubles and according to him, the 50-year-old is the grandson of a Palestinian man who helped save Jews during the 1929 Hebron massacre.

"As far as I'm concerned, he's like my son, and I will shake up the world for somebody to come and save him," Perg said. "The man's grandfather rescued 26 Jews during the events in Hebron. Now that he is in danger, we have a commitment to help him."

Perg added that he spoke by phone with the Palestinian who told him he was being badly beaten and had even had his hands and feet burned during the torture he’s had to endure.

Perg said he appealed to the Civil Administration for help but since the man is a resident of the Palestinian Authority, they cannot intervene in the affair.

Exarch, Coughdrop addict

Rudy Giuliani butt-dials NBC reporter, heard discussing need for cash and trashing Bidens

Giuliani can be heard discussing overseas dealings and lamenting the need for cash, though it's difficult to discern the full context of the conversation.

“Is Robert around?” Giuliani asks.
    “He’s in Turkey,” the man responds.
    Giuliani replies instantly. “The problem is we need some money.”
    The two men then go silent. Nine seconds pass. No word is spoken. Then Giuliani chimes in again.
    “We need a few hundred thousand,” he says.
    It’s unclear what the two men were talking about. But Giuliani is known to have worked closely with a Robert who has ties to Turkey.
    His name is Robert Mangas, and he’s a lawyer at the firm Greenberg Traurig LLP, as well as a registered agent of the Turkish government.
    Giuliani himself was employed by Greenberg Traurig until about May 2018.
    Mangas’s name appears in court documents related to the case of Reza Zarrab, a Turkish gold trader charged in the U.S. with laundering Iranian money in a scheme to evade American sanctions.
    Giuliani was brought on to assist Zarrab in 2017. He traveled to Turkey with his former law partner Michael Mukasey and attempted to strike a deal with President Recep Tayyip Erdogan to secure the release of their jailed client, alarming the federal prosecutor leading the case.
    Giuliani and Mangas were both employed by Greenberg Traurig at the time. The firm and Mangas had registered with the Justice Department to lobby the U.S. government on behalf of Turkey, according to an affidavit from Mangas.

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/poli...563864541.html
    At this point, it’d be newsworthy if Republicans got busted doing business with Americans. #MAGA #AmericaFirst
    Last edited by Lord Thesaurian; October 25, 2019 at 03:17 PM.
    Of these facts there cannot be any shadow of doubt: for instance, that civil society was renovated in every part by Christian institutions; that in the strength of that renewal the human race was lifted up to better things-nay, that it was brought back from death to life, and to so excellent a life that nothing more perfect had been known before, or will come to be known in the ages that have yet to be. - Pope Leo XIII

Papay's Avatar Protector Domesticus

They are evil

Miles

So Michael Flynn's in the news again...

https://www.politico.com/news/2019/1...release-063874 (not that I find this story particularly interesting, but this is just my source that he is in the news).

What I wanna know is where he gets the money for his lawyers. I was led to believe that part of the reason he made the plea deal in the first place was due to how he ran out of money.