Thread: Discussion and Debate Community Thread

Default Re: Discussion and Debate Community Thread

I have a question.

Why do liberals resort so much to ''are you saying...?'' (or variants) followed by a strawman as first line of defense?
    There's hardly anything that's so common in political debates. Anyone?

Katsumoto's Avatar Quae est infernum es
    took an arrow to the knee

Can I ask a question first? Why do you have trouble answering simple questions? I didn't understand why you brought up 'the Guardian as a source lmao', I thought you were implying they were 'fake news', which is why I asked if you were implying that they were lying... I thought it was pretty simple. Liberals have nothing to do with this, turn off your kneejerk, it's daft. So did you think the Guardian was lying or what? Because there's, like, a video of Trump talking and everything... I would link it but that seems like it'd be an insult to your intelligence.
    Last edited by Katsumoto; July 05, 2019 at 11:33 AM.
    "I pray Heaven to bestow the best of blessings on this house and all that shall hereafter inhabit it. May none but honest and wise men ever rule under this roof."
    - John Adams, on the White House, in a letter to Abigail Adams (2 November 1800)

Quote Originally Posted by Katsumoto View Post
    Can I ask a question first? Why do you have trouble answering simple questions? I didn't understand why you brought up 'the Guardian as a source lmao', I thought you were implying they were 'fake news', which is why I asked if you were implying that they were lying... I thought it was pretty simple. Liberals have nothing to do with this, turn off your kneejerk, it's daft. So did you think the Guardian was lying or what? Because there's, like, a video of Trump talking and everything... I would link it but that seems like it'd be an insult to your intelligence.
    I think his point is that the political tunnel vision which caused you to jump up and down because Trump (an OAP) misspoke is bordering on desperate.

Quote Originally Posted by Basil II the B.S View Post
    I have a question.

Why do liberals resort so much to ''are you saying...?'' (or variants) followed by a strawman as first line of defense?
    This is just you trying to deflect from your deflection.
    The Armenian Issue

Quote Originally Posted by ep1c_fail View Post
    I think his point is that the political tunnel vision which caused you to jump up and down because Trump (an OAP) misspoke is bordering on desperate.
    Basil can probably speak for himself. And forgive my massive eye roll at 'political tunnel vision'. But if that was his point, how many times does Trump get to 'misspeak' before I'm allowed to question his intelligence and fitness for office?
    "I pray Heaven to bestow the best of blessings on this house and all that shall hereafter inhabit it. May none but honest and wise men ever rule under this roof."
    - John Adams, on the White House, in a letter to Abigail Adams (2 November 1800)

Basil can probably speak for himself. And forgive my massive eye roll at 'political tunnel vision'. But if that was his point, how many times does Trump get to 'misspeak' before I'm allowed to question his intelligence and fitness for office?
    Since the majority of your recent posts in the D&D have been dedicated to whining about Trump's supposed lack of "intelligence and fitness for office" I don't think its fair for you to suggest that anyone is disallowing you from your myopic complaining.

I was just making fun of your source of preference due to the fact they consistently post garbage. That's it.
    Edit: the furthest you can go is reading it as ''don't you have another source?''

As for the ''implying''... I know you did, you guys do it all the time. ''Are you implying?''... Is it so hard to ask a more neutral ''What do you mean with that?''. No. You have to make me defend something I didn't say.
    Last edited by Basil II the B.S; July 05, 2019 at 12:34 PM.

Muizer's Avatar member 3519
    Patrician Artifex

I have a question.

If I ever say anything along those lines to you, you may assume it's a mixture of puzzlement and curiosity, not a debating trick. I am (wrongly?) assuming that there is some sort of coherent world view that informs your posts. I think the discussion would benefit from being at that level. But in practice you make that very difficult when your posts and especially new threads rarely go beyond what could as easily be explained as reflexively invoked mantras.
    "Lay these words to heart, Lucilius, that you may scorn the pleasure which comes from the applause of the majority. Many men praise you; but have you any reason for being pleased with yourself, if you are a person whom the many can understand?" - Lucius Annaeus Seneca -

I was just making fun of your source of preference due to the fact they consistently post garbage. That's it.
    Forgive me, next time I'll be sure to use the quality journalism of Zero Hedge and Daily Caller.

Edit: the furthest you can go is reading it as ''don't you have another source?''
    I mean usually when someone questions a source they are implying the source isn't being entirely accurate, and I wouldn't even understand why you'd be asking for another source since it's so easily provable what he said. It's not like the Guardian would completely make up what Trump said, despite what you seem to think.

As for the ''implying''... I know you did, you guys do it all the time. ''Are you implying?''... Is it so hard to ask a more neutral ''What do you mean with that?''. No. You have to make me defend something I didn't say.
    This is just utterly amusing considering 90% of your posts do exactly this. You lump anyone that happens to disagree with your view with some fringe 'liberals' you found on Twitter and assign arguments to them they never made.

While we're on the subject of ludicrous remarks, here is Joe Biden arguing that Russian interference wouldn't have happened on his "watch". Skip to ~1m40sec

Forgive me, next time I'll be sure to use the quality journalism of Zero Hedge and Daily Caller.
    Daily Caller at worst posts hot female golfers. Zerohedge how much they hate fiat currencies. None of that even remotely compares with the examples provided by the Guardian. Or do you really want to discuss those?
    Because I really, really, really want to discuss the quality of articles such as:
    OK, so you think you're a vampire. Whose job is it to tell you you're not?
    https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...-you-youre-not

Why I won't date another 'male feminist'
    https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...-male-feminist

Or anything from that list. You chose a source, this is their editorial standard. I'm questioning it.

This is just utterly amusing considering 90% of your posts do exactly this. You lump anyone that happens to disagree with your view with some fringe 'liberals' you found on Twitter and assign arguments to them they never made.
    Almost correct. Except for one element but if I reveal it, it ruins my fun.

Quote Originally Posted by ep1c_fail View Post
    While we're on the subject of ludicrous remarks, here is Joe Biden arguing that Russian interference wouldn't have happened on his "watch". Skip to ~1m40sec
    Also Obama guaranteed US elections were safe and couldn't be hacked. This was as long as he believed Hillary would win. Different outcome, change of narrative.

Quote Originally Posted by Muizer View Post
    If I ever say anything along those lines to you, you may assume it's a mixture of puzzlement and curiosity, not a debating trick. I am (wrongly?) assuming that there is some sort of coherent world view that informs your posts. I think the discussion would benefit from being at that level. But in practice you make that very difficult when your posts and especially new threads rarely go beyond what could as easily be explained as reflexively invoked mantras.
    No, it's not the case. The vast majority of ''are you saying'' questions require the interlocutor to defend things he didn't claim, and the goal of the person making the question is simply to paint him in a negative light, so that his argument can be dismissed.

Those get a hostile answer which simply means ''I know what you are doing, it's not honest, if you want to go this way, this is what you get''. Reasonable people get reasonable arguments from me. You'll never see me giving hostile answers to Dante and he's a leftist, nor Roma Victrix (same, also where are you buddy?) or Bigdaddy who's a Muslim. Black Knight is also an interesting fella, Ludicus is fine, etc.
    Last edited by Basil II the B.S; July 05, 2019 at 03:12 PM.

Or anything from that list. You chose a source, this is their editorial standard. I'm questioning it.
    Let me try a neutral question here. Are you familiar with the difference between an Opinions section and a News section? Do you know that these employ different writers with different roles?

Patrician Artifex

No, it's not the case.The vast majority of ''are you saying'' questions require the interlocutor to defend things he didn't claim
    So exactly what 'is not the case'?
    "Lay these words to heart, Lucilius, that you may scorn the pleasure which comes from the applause of the majority. Many men praise you; but have you any reason for being pleased with yourself, if you are a person whom the many can understand?" - Lucius Annaeus Seneca -

Aexodus's Avatar Persuasion>Coercion
    Blog Entries

Let me try a neutral question here. Are you familiar with the difference between an Opinions section and a News section? Do you know that these employ different writers with different roles?
    To be fair you can’t totally separate an opinion column from the paper. There’s still an editorial role in the piece, as well as deciding who they hire to write said opinion pieces. There’s a reason the majority of the Guardian’s opinion pieces lean center of left.
    Patronised by Pontifex Maximus
    Quote Originally Posted by Himster View Post
    The trick is to never be honest. That's what this social phenomenon is engineering: publicly conform, or else.

how many times does Trump get to 'misspeak' before I'm allowed to question his intelligence and fitness for office?
    None. As in no times. You can question his intelligence and fitness all you want. And you do.

Am I allowed to question the intelligence of people who repeatedly call Trump stupid dumb or whatever, but somehow lose to him?

That's a valid point but it still does not justify in any way the abysimal quality of the former. If the editorial board decides that's the type of opinion they want to promote, good for them, it's going to reflect how their newspaper is perceived.

Quote Originally Posted by Muizer View Post
    So exactly what 'is not the case'?
    ''Are you saying'' questions aren't, for the most part, neutral.

Patrician Artifex

''Are you saying'' questions aren't, for the most part, neutral.
    And did I say they were?

Fahnat's Avatar Ordinarius
    Citizen

Blog Entries

Default Extra Credits and their Normalize Nazis "Socially Conscious Game Design"

I would like to see your opinion of this video from Extra Credits and their "normalizing nazis" and their opinions about it.
    This as blown up on their faces with many people responding negatively with their ideas on this video, and i agree with the criticism.
    Here is a video that i really liked that articulated very well their criticism of the video
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0P4_yDLNyw

Merged with the Discussion & Debate thread. ~Abdülmecid I
    Last edited by Abdülmecid I; July 07, 2019 at 09:17 AM. Reason: Clarification added.

Diocle's Avatar Comes Limitis

Default Re: Extra Credits and their Normalize Nazis "Socially Conscious Game Design"

Quote Originally Posted by Fahnat View Post

I would like to see your opinion of this video from Extra Credits and their "normalizing nazis" and their opinions about it.
    This as blown up on their faces with many people responding negatively with their ideas on this video, and i agree with the criticism.
    Here is a video that i really liked that articulated very well their criticism of the video
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0P4_yDLNyw

Merged with the Discussion & Debate thread. ~Abdülmecid I
    Censuring! The only thing they are able to do and think is censuring people's opinions, speeches, books, games, comics, TV shows, movies, internet, art, press, everything! Censoring is actually synonym of defeat, the fear of others' opinions is the public admission you think being not able to stand and fight them, so, censurers are losers in the facts, losers in spirit, losers as mental and existential condition.

Its gotta be some sort of joke video. Right?