Thread: Discussion and Debate Community Thread

AqD's Avatar 。◕‿◕。

Default Re: Discussion and Debate Community Thread

What are they even protesting? If they're truly fed up they should be gunning down morality polices and anyone blocking their way, not waiting for the regime to grow a conscience over dead protestors.

Spoiler for bad stuff

Attempted murder or subhuman levels of negligence?
    Of these facts there cannot be any shadow of doubt: for instance, that civil society was renovated in every part by Christian institutions; that in the strength of that renewal the human race was lifted up to better things-nay, that it was brought back from death to life, and to so excellent a life that nothing more perfect had been known before, or will come to be known in the ages that have yet to be. - Pope Leo XIII

Well that's government for you.
    Ignore List (to save time):

Exarch, Coughdrop addict

https://youtube.com/watch?v=y_Z1LClnhsk

Facts. No wonder her group won.
    Of these facts there cannot be any shadow of doubt: for instance, that civil society was renovated in every part by Christian institutions; that in the strength of that renewal the human race was lifted up to better things-nay, that it was brought back from death to life, and to so excellent a life that nothing more perfect had been known before, or will come to be known in the ages that have yet to be. - Pope Leo XIII

People sadly love demagoguery...
    The Armenian Issue

Indeed. Democracy is the worst.

Quote Originally Posted by PointOfViewGun View Post
    People sadly love demagoguery...

Their followers voted for her cuteness

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Meanwhile...

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

It's not sensible to equate or akin democracy to demagoguery but each to its own I guess...
    The Armenian Issue

It's not sensible to equate or akin democracy to demagoguery but each to its own I guess...
    Then why did you?

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Thesaurian View Post
    Then why did you.
    Because I didn't. Not my problem if you failed to stick to what people argue and not what you wish they argued for cheap shots.
    The Armenian Issue

Because I didn't. Not my problem if you failed to stick to what people argue and not what you wish they argued for cheap shots.
    I can see why you would say that I would think what you said but in reality it just shows your position has no merit whatsoever. Not my fault you failed to address the substance of what she said and not what you wish she said about what you said was said.

I can see why you would say that I would think what you said but in reality it just shows your position has no merit whatsoever. Not my fault you failed to address the substance of what she said and not what you wish she said about what you said was said.
    Yeah, no. Not a good idea for you to attempt saying that right after you tried to alter my words.
    The Armenian Issue

Yeah, no. Not a good idea for you to attempt saying that right after you tried to alter my words.
    Now you appear as to blatantly attempt to try to admit to not be saying anything of value. What you are saying is invalid. Otherwise what you said about what I said you said would be confessing you have no real argument about what she argued.

Now you appear as to blatantly attempt to try to admit to not be saying anything of value. What you are saying is invalid. Otherwise what you said about what I said you said would be confessing you have no real argument about what she argued.
    Yeah, no to that too. Clearly what I actually said cut deep. Hence, this pointless charade of yours.
    The Armenian Issue

Yeah, no to that too. Clearly what I actually said cut deep. Hence, this pointless charade of yours.
    Gainsaying is not an argument.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=y_Z1LClnhsk

Facts. No wonder her group won.
    It's an interesting speech, though I wonder how much of it she actually believes. She appeals to traditional family values, even though she's living with a man she's not married to and her child was born out of wedlock. She promises to fight for the dignity of every human being, even while her party platform largely revolves around taking a hard-line stance against non-European immigrants. There's a disconnect here between her rhetorical embrace of traditionalism and Christianity and her rejection of what these things actually entail.

I'm also confused by her repeated references to "financial speculators" and their plot to enslave Italians. Maybe I'm ignorant of the Italian context, but I hope that's not a coded reference to some kind of anti-Semitic conspiracy theory.

Overall, her speech had some good lines but it was a tad too heavy on identity politics and anti-capitalist sentiment. I think she might do some good on the social policy front, but her stance on immigration and the economy leaves much to be desired.
    Ignore List (to save time):

Exarch, Coughdrop addict

Quote Originally Posted by Prodromos
    It's an interesting speech, though I wonder how much of it she actually believes. She appeals to traditional family values, even though she's living with a man she's not married to and her child was born out of wedlock. She promises to fight for the dignity of every human being, even while her party platform largely revolves around taking a hard-line stance against non-European immigrants. There's a disconnect here between her rhetorical embrace of traditionalism and Christianity and her rejection of what these things actually entail.
    I believe she commented on that exact criticism in the video.
    I'm also confused by her repeated references to "financial speculators" and their plot to enslave Italians. Maybe I'm ignorant of the Italian context, but I hope that's not a coded reference to some kind of anti-Semitic conspiracy theory.
    Who knows. Not much to deduce from her speech on that particular point. It appears she’s since denied such associations and insisted FDI is a center right party.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...lian-far-right

Overall, her speech had some good lines but it was a tad too heavy on identity politics and anti-capitalist sentiment. I think she might do some good on the social policy front, but her stance on immigration and the economy leaves much to be desired.
    Meh. It’s Europe. Fat chance of seeing a Reagan Republican lead a coalition, outside the UK. I’m mostly surprised to see someone on the right leading a European coalition government at all, given US Democrats tend to idolize the European system as a utopian ideal. It’s good to see at least some European countries begin to address terminal demographic decline as a serious issue. We’ll see if social interventions can make any difference.
    Last edited by Lord Thesaurian; September 27, 2022 at 09:52 AM.

Gainsaying is not an argument.
    Saying that is not an argument.
    The Armenian Issue

Quote Originally Posted by Prodromos View Post
    Ah yes, who could forget that famous Bible quote "thou shalt import as many economic migrants as possible to keep value of labor down for our great corporate overlords"
    If the first association with "financial speculators" in your head is "da joos", then I don't think its her who is anti-Semitic...

alhoon's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Moderator Emeritus

Silvio is baaaack (in a way). This is a great day for democracy in Italy. A GREAT day.

PS. I didn't say "a good day" or a "bright day" or anything that means it's good for democracy, I said "a great day".
    alhoon is not a member of the infamous Hoons: a (fictional) nazi-sympathizer KKK clan. Of course, no Hoon would openly admit affiliation to the uninitiated.
    "Angry Uncle Gordon" describes me well.