Thread: 2D Art Preview Thread

finix's Avatar Ordinarius

Default Re: 2D Art Preview Thread

Inyk make this portrait of Mstislav Romanovich prince of Kiev :
    [IMG][/IMG]

What do you think?
    [IMG][/IMG]

Pretty good if you ask me! Might take some time for him to adjust the style to overall style of the unit icons, but this is already rather close. Good job in my eyes.

Helmet and maybe face could be scaled a teensy bit more vertical. Try to get the most you can out of the available space in the picture.

[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

I've completed a UI reskin for southern Orthodox factions. Northern Orthodox (Rus mostly) will be wooden. I have plans of doing UI reskins also for: north-western Catholic, southern Catholic (Mediterranean), Muslim and Nomadic in addition to the two Orthodox styles.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

AlexiosThe1st's Avatar Civis

Wallpaper for Nicaea next?

I improved and matched in a style portrait of Inyk. Inyk I hope you do not mind
    Portraits of Megas Komnenos and pince Mstislav Romanovich. With thanks to Inyk

[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

If you finix, are going to do 2d art leaders of all factions I can provide the leaders of The kingdom of Georgia of that time. King , generals, etcetera. ok?

Quote Originally Posted by GGGeorgia View Post
    If you finix, are going to do 2d art leaders of all factions I can provide the leaders of The kingdom of Georgia of that time. King , generals, etcetera. ok?
    Of course, we would be better to have relevant sources what they looked like. Even if this is just a speculation. My idea is for now only the leaders, so they can be used in next custom battles release.
    Perhaps the campaign will make all families and generals, but not certain. Because it's an awful lot of work
    [IMG][/IMG]

Campidoctor
    Civitate

I know its low on your priority list, but here you have some inspiration for the king of Makuria.

The crown:

This crown is from a painting in Faras and was previously thought to adorn the head of an eparch, meaning a local governor. However, a recent theory brougth up that it is not the eparch who is it wearing it, but the king of Makuria himself. This theory is also backed by a graffito on the Banganarti church (Between the third and fourth Nile cataract), which shows a Makurian king of the mid 14th century with such a helmeted crown. This form here is the most elaborated one, having several pairs of horns, bells and even a bucranium. It was very likely made of gold.

The face:

Here you see several guys suffering in hell (From Banganarti church). It gives a very good overview about the anthropology of Medieval Nubians and as you can see those are not some stereotypical blacks who look like modern Afro Americans, but are actually relatively bright skinned, beeing not that much darker than the Coptic Egyptians in the north. Some of them wear beards and long hairs, which were both common for Medieval Nubians, while the first is more common than the second (Especially older persons very often wore long beards, while younger persons wore beards as you can see them here).
    If you want to spice it the face a bit up you can give the face a x-shaped tattoo, as it is attested on this princess from Faras:

The clothing:

That one is a bit tricky, since we dont have any paintings with kings who are dressed in a military manner, but only civil (The metioned graffito in Banganarti is the only depiction of a Nubian king with weapons, but its way too sketchy to see details of the clothing). Because of that, we have to orientate on the few warrior saint depictions with chainmail armour. Chainmail was very likely the heaviest armour the Medieval Nubian used, so it seems reasonable that the kings would wear it aswell.
    Anyway, what you can see on the first picture is a parchment from Qasr Ibrim, also depicting two warrior saints. Over their chainmail armour they are wearing long cloaks. The cloak of the left saint is blue, while the one of the right saint is red, which is also the most spread colour for cloaks. The cloak could have ever been just knoted, or also hold by a rosette, as you can see on the second picture, which shows St. Phoibammon from the church of Abdallah Nirqi.
    Over his chainmail armour he might have worn a massive golden cross amulett as one can see it here:

For more informations about Medieval Nubian warfare and other stuff see the links in my signature.

Quote Originally Posted by LinusLinothorax View Post
    I know its low on your priority list, but here you have some inspiration for the king of Makuria.

The crown:

This crown is from a painting in Faras and was previously thought to adorn the head of an eparch, meaning a local governor. However, a recent theory brougth up that it is not the eparch who is it wearing it, but the king of Makuria himself. This theory is also backed by a graffito on the Banganarti church (Between the third and fourth Nile cataract), which shows a Makurian king of the mid 14th century with such a helmeted crown. This form here is the most elaborated one, having several pairs of horns, bells and even a bucranium. It was very likely made of gold.

The face:

Here you see several guys suffering in hell (From Banganarti church). It gives a very good overview about the anthropology of Medieval Nubians and as you can see those are not some stereotypical blacks who look like modern Afro Americans, but are actually relatively bright skinned, beeing not that much darker than the Coptic Egyptians in the north. Some of them wear beards and long hairs, which were both common for Medieval Nubians, while the first is more common than the second (Especially older persons very often wore long beards, while younger persons wore beards as you can see them here).
    If you want to spice it the face a bit up you can give the face a x-shaped tattoo, as it is attested on this princess from Faras:

The clothing:

That one is a bit tricky, since we dont have any paintings with kings who are dressed in a military manner, but only civil (The metioned graffito in Banganarti is the only depiction of a Nubian king with weapons, but its way too sketchy to see details of the clothing). Because of that, we have to orientate on the few warrior saint depictions with chainmail armour. Chainmail was very likely the heaviest armour the Medieval Nubian used, so it seems reasonable that the kings would wear it aswell.
    Anyway, what you can see on the first picture is a parchment from Qasr Ibrim, also depicting two warrior saints. Over their chainmail armour they are wearing long cloaks. The cloak of the left saint is blue, while the one of the right saint is red, which is also the most spread colour for cloaks. The cloak could have ever been just knoted, or also hold by a rosette, as you can see on the second picture, which shows St. Phoibammon from the church of Abdallah Nirqi.
    Over his chainmail armour he might have worn a massive golden cross amulett as one can see it here:

For more informations about Medieval Nubian warfare and other stuff see the links in my signature.
    Thanks, It would be useful
    [IMG][/IMG]

Catholic factions building tree
    In this case bt of France. Note that they are not balanced and are possible changes. I had to divide them into three files, because it became a huge and havy

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by finix; January 31, 2016 at 04:28 AM.
    [IMG][/IMG]

Amazing! :o I suppose you used a lot of assets from Charlemagne? It's good art there, worthy of expanding.

Laetus

Looks great. But I have a question about knight orden and grand knight orden building. Will they have different order units depending on which catholic faction has built it or some event?

Quote Originally Posted by Regentas View Post
    Looks great. But I have a question about knight orden and grand knight orden building. Will they have different order units depending on which catholic faction has built it or some event?
    Yes, they will be different, at least that is my intention. For example- England and France will have Templars, Spanish kingdoms - Orden of Santiago, German and Italian kingdoms - Hospitalers.
    Last edited by finix; January 31, 2016 at 06:26 AM.
    [IMG][/IMG]

Laetus

Will there be any way to recruit all of them for a single faction like going to a crusade?

Quote Originally Posted by Regentas View Post
    Will there be any way to recruit all of them for a single faction like going to a crusade?
    I do not think you can do crusade, at least I do not know the mechanics of the game allows it. Of course only speak on my behalf and not on behalf of the entire team.My idea of these buildings is to be able to build in certain areas. And if playing with Catholic faction and you rule these areas will be able to have those units in your army.

At this stage I have named so. But for example, if you build such a building in Toulouse will be called the Templar's Orden
    Last edited by finix; January 31, 2016 at 06:59 AM.
    [IMG][/IMG]

Another piece of art !
    French commentaries for TW and RTS:http://www.youtube.com/user/leviath40

Inyk's Avatar Foederatus

Excellent art! Much work in the small details, Charlemagne nervously smoking
    Icons portraits (mass) in the future will be posted in this thread, or create a new thread for portraits?

Quote Originally Posted by Inyk View Post
    Icons portraits (mass) in the future will be posted in this thread, or create a new thread for portraits?
    Everything related to art in the game will be post here
    [IMG][/IMG]