Page 2 of 52 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast

Thread: 2D Art Preview Thread

Default Re: 2D Art Preview Thread

Okay glad to hear, I'll send you the coat of arms you need later on today. Regarding color schemes:

Arundel, Hertford, Norfolk, Winchester: Red and Yellow
    Chester, Surrey: Blue and Yellow
    Hereford: Blue: Yellow and White
    Montfort, Salisbury: Red and White
    Marshal: Red, Yellow and Yellow
    Lincoln: Yellow and Purple
    Pembroke: Red, Blue and White

This will make more sense once you see the raw COA.

Tadzreuli's Avatar Chevalier Blanche

nice!

finix's Avatar Ordinarius

Seljuks of Rum unit cards

from left to right: Rumi Archers,Turkish Archers, Ghulam Foot Guard, Ghazi, Veteran Ghazi, Veteran Anatolian Spearmen, Turkoman Raiders, Turkish Cavalry, Junior Ghulam, Senior Ghulam, Askari Cavalry, Askari Nobles

[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

Cobi Wan Kenobi's Avatar Centenarius

These unit cards look amazing. +rep

Kingdom of France unit cards

from left to right:
    Crossbow Militia,Crossbow Serjeant, Heavy Crossbow Serjeants, Spear Militia,Spear Serjeants, Pavisiers,Voulge Militia,Voulge Serjeants, Heavy Voulge Serjeants, Halberdiers,
    Serjeants, Foot Knightly Retinue, Foot Men at Arms, Scot's Guard, Scouts, Mounted Serjeants, Knightly Retinue, Men at Arms, Gendarmes

[IMG][/IMG]

UPDATE: 17.11.2015
    Last edited by finix; November 17, 2015 at 11:41 AM.
    [IMG][/IMG]

Tighes_Hood's Avatar Libertus

Nice cards. I really appreciate the detail that goes into them. I cant wait to see what the roman cards look like.

These are the nicest and most atmospheric unit cards i´ve seen in a TW game so far! Much better than anything CA has done until now... Keep it up

Brilliant quality, although I do feel the slightly bobble head sizing adds a comical aspect I might not get past

Looking good as always man.

MOS-Lukas-Dwarf's Avatar Tiro

These are incredibly good, normally id pass over and not appreciate something like this but WOW these are cool af! Would love to see the Rise of Mordor mod try something like this for their units!
    "You must be king before the long night begins... Only you can unite the living against the dead"

++ The Night Is Dark And Full Of Terrors ++

Love your Unit cards! Impressive work!

Some incomplete rosters:

The Latin Crusaders

[IMG][/IMG]

Hungary
    [IMG][/IMG]

Nicaea
    [IMG][/IMG]

and the Serbians

[IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by finix; October 05, 2015 at 03:23 PM.
    [IMG][/IMG]

Well would you look at that awesomeness!

Quote Originally Posted by finix View Post
    Yes, they all have "big heads". This is done intentionally. Everything started with the first cards for Rome 2, which were closer to medieval manuscripts...they have "big heads" too
    Character is lost if their heads are at normal size, when they resized. For this is I'm not going to change it, otherwise there is no point of these faces
    I have to confess, those big heads do bother me too. They look disproportional and comic, which is not the vibe I assume the mod wants to take for itself, from all the effort that is being put on it. So I feel like its necessary for me to speak up, since there maybe me more people who share my point of view.

There is ''no point'' on having those faces if they're not needed on the first place. You talked about Rome II cards, but I don't see how the Unit Cards in Rome II have absurdly big head sizes at all, they're all proportional and realistic looking. Besides, even if they did have abnormal faces or other parts of their body, it would be understandable, since the Rome II Unit cards are drawings of its era, not paintings that intend to have many details and aspects of it to be appreciated, unlike the medieval counterparts.

Even if you mention ''medieval war manuscripts'' of the era to justify it, a quick google search reveals that the argument can be made for both cases - most of the manuscripts do indeed have normal head sizes with the typical big helmets that were being used at the time, and some other manuscripts do have an disproportional size to it, which is reasonably due to the big sizes of the battles that the artist wanted to portray, to keep the emotion and uniqueness to their soldiers at the same time - different from this case for Unit Cards, where a single person is being shown. It's not justifiable to change the whole roster of units to align with a style that has been put out of context.

I do appreciate the effort you've put into those, they do look great, if you don't consider their scruffy-looking heads for a moment. However it may be, your work has been praised and looked upon for these cards, from what I can tell on this thread, for the great amount of details and art style that has been used for those units, not your artistic liberty of changing them to look disproportional.

There is the potential to change the faces in the game to that of Finix's cards to better represent the units- and to make them bobble heads to bother you more. Lol.

Ltd.'s Avatar Senator

I definitely like this style of representing humans. It is a merge, in my eyes at least, between manuscript style and normal human shape. Besides, I don´t really see why people have the feeling those figures had disproportional heads. You can actually make out the expression on their faces and it´s not like a cartoony representation. Of course it is up to finix, if he wants to give in to the few critical voices and change the cards.
    But finix, if you want my voice in this: don´t change them !
    Last edited by Ltd.; October 11, 2015 at 07:32 AM. Reason: typo

I agree, keep the big heads. It gives a more medievval sfere to it.

After criticism aimed at my work and feel that I have to answer

Quote Originally Posted by Fur1aloca View Post
    I have to confess, those big heads do bother me too. They look disproportional and comic, which is not the vibe I assume the mod wants to take for itself, from all the effort that is being put on it. So I feel like its necessary for me to speak up, since there maybe me more people who share my point of view.
    I do not find them comical, thought I would not like to play this mod with comic cards. But of course everyone has a different opinion, for me it is more important that opinion of people who trusted my work to participate in this great mod

There is ''no point'' on having those faces if they're not needed on the first place. You talked about Rome II cards, but I don't see how the Unit Cards in Rome II have absurdly big head sizes at all, they're all proportional and realistic looking. Besides, even if they did have abnormal faces or other parts of their body, it would be understandable, since the Rome II Unit cards are drawings of its era, not paintings that intend to have many details and aspects of it to be appreciated, unlike the medieval counterparts.
    When I mentioned Rome 2 Total War cards I mean these:
    [IMG][/IMG]

These are the first cards I made for this mod!

Even if you mention ''medieval war manuscripts'' of the era to justify it, a quick google search reveals that the argument can be made for both cases - most of the manuscripts do indeed have normal head sizes with the typical big helmets that were being used at the time, and some other manuscripts do have an disproportional size to it, which is reasonably due to the big sizes of the battles that the artist wanted to portray, to keep the emotion and uniqueness to their soldiers at the same time - different from this case for Unit Cards, where a single person is being shown. It's not justifiable to change the whole roster of units to align with a style that has been put out of context.
    Obviously you are not familiar with changing on cards when they resized in the game, so will miss the comments on this

I do appreciate the effort you've put into those, they do look great, if you don't consider their scruffy-looking heads for a moment. However it may be, your work has been praised and looked upon for these cards, from what I can tell on this thread, for the great amount of details and art style that has been used for those units, not your artistic liberty of changing them to look disproportional.
    As I said before, I'm not going to do what I do differently. If anyone thinks that can be done better and that this mod deserve different cards, let's do it. I will still play this mod when it's finished. I have no ambition to participate at any cost in a mod, do it for my pleasure.
    [IMG][/IMG]

+Marius+'s Avatar Domesticus

Basically, the only cards that are a bit funny are those depicting soldiers without helmets...and I personally like it, not everything has to be treated with absolute seriousness.

As long as the soldiers heads/helmets are not oversized on the battlefield, I'm good

The Ayyubid Sultanate unit cards

from left to right:
    Sudanese Archers, Ahdath Archers,Saracen Crossbowmen,Naffatu,Beja Tribal Spearmen (AOR),Nubian Spearmen (AOR), Ahdath Spearmen, Jund Spearmen, Harafisha Infantry,Thaqlah / Syrian Axemen, Bedouin Camel Riders, Ahdath Cavalry, Askari Cavalry, Askari Nobles

[IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by finix; October 15, 2015 at 09:36 AM.
    [IMG][/IMG]