Page 11 of 52 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202136 ... LastLast

Thread: 2D Art Preview Thread

finix's Avatar Ordinarius

Default Re: 2D Art Preview Thread

Portrait of portrait becomes better and better I like the details
    Last edited by finix; February 04, 2016 at 01:52 PM.
    [IMG][/IMG]

AlexiosThe1st's Avatar Civis

Definitely looking for an update on the Serbian roster

Portraits: Megas Komnenos /Trebizond/, Prince Mstislav Romanovich/Kiev/, Tsar Boril of Bulgaria, King John /England/, Grand Prince Ruryk Rostyslavych /Chernigov/, Grand Master of Teutonic order

[IMG][/IMG]

Thanks to Inyk for his portraits
    Last edited by finix; February 09, 2016 at 02:05 PM.
    [IMG][/IMG]

Inyk's Avatar Foederatus

I admire your icons, I can not wait for this excellent mod

Quote Originally Posted by finix View Post
    Portraits: Megas Komnenos /Trebizond/, Prince Mstislav Romanovich/Kiev/, Tsar Boril of Bulgaria /at this time he is 11 old, but this is his 18 old portrait/, King John /England/, Grand Prince Ruryk Rostyslavych /Chernigov/, Grand Master of Teutonic order

[IMG][/IMG]

Wow those are incredible. I have to ask, is there plans to make such a portrait for the great Genghis Khan? Because if so, I think it would make more sense for his portrait to look a little older, as he was no longer a very young man when he attacked the Kwarazms (I know that's spelt wrong).

http://imgur.com/ecDJDD0

Something like this maybe?
    Last edited by mw51630; February 04, 2016 at 10:56 PM.

Campidoctor
    Civitate

Quote Originally Posted by mw51630 View Post
    Wow those are incredible. I have to ask, is there plans to make such a portrait for the great Genghis Khan? Because if so, I think it would make more sense for his portrait to look a little older, as he was no longer a very young man when he attacked the Kwarazms (I know that's spelt wrong).

Something like this maybe?
    Or one just sticks to the closest source we have (14th century):
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

On this painting from Yüan era he is depicted as an aged man, so it fits very well.

Quote Originally Posted by LinusLinothorax View Post
    Or one just sticks to the closest source we have (14th century):

On this painting from Yüan era he is depicted as an aged man, so it fits very well.
    Yep that is definitely the most accurate depiction of the Khan. The reason I posted the other pic was because it is actually quite similar to this one, but looks a lot more real and fits the style of the other portraits. If you use the face of that original pic and put it on a robed Khan like this one, it would look perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by mw51630 View Post
    Yep that is definitely the most accurate depiction of the Khan. The reason I posted the other pic was because it is actually quite similar to this one, but looks a lot more real and fits the style of the other portraits. If you use the face of that original pic and put it on a robed Khan like this one, it would look perfect.
    I would like to remind you and devs, as an ex-volunteer worker in National Palace Museum in Taiwan, that this depiction of the Khan is very "Chinese".

The criteria and process of royal portraits was well established in Sung dynasty. Court artisans painted everything on the paper first except of the details on the face. Every royal member, especially emperor, would be painted as a bulky man in almost every part of body, including the forehead, to signify that this is a majestic man destined by the divine Heaven. Later the artisans would fill out the blank on the face according to the literal depiction or a brief observation on emperor. The former is more often as staring at emperor is not a polite move and the emperor is often terribly busy. This method lasts for long time until Jesuits brought in the realistic European techniques and piqued the interests of ruler.

So in conclusion, there is a possibility that the Khan is less bulky then his actual look. I hope this bit of information would be helpful to you.

I think Rum-Seljuk/Zengid/Azerbaijan-Atabegs/Khwarezmian etc. portraits can be inspired by Crusader Kings 2's portraits, they were pretty good and had accurate hats/helmets.

Quote Originally Posted by Donnodona View Post
    I would like to remind you and devs, as an ex-volunteer worker in National Palace Museum in Taiwan, that this depiction of the Khan is very "Chinese".

The criteria and process of royal portraits was well established in Sung dynasty. Court artisans painted everything on the paper first except of the details on the face. Every royal member, especially emperor, would be painted as a bulky man in almost every part of body, including the forehead, to signify that this is a majestic man destined by the divine Heaven. Later the artisans would fill out the blank on the face according to the literal depiction or a brief observation on emperor. The former is more often as staring at emperor is not a polite move and the emperor is often terribly busy. This method lasts for long time until Jesuits brought in the realistic European techniques and piqued the interests of ruler.

So in conclusion, there is a possibility that the Khan is less bulky then his actual look. I hope this bit of information would be helpful to you.
    I didn't know that. That makes a lot of sense, as that portrait makes the Khan look like a little tubby man, which is not what I think the leader of the Mongols looked like.

His reaction to that painting; "You make me look like little old man!?"
    Last edited by mw51630; February 05, 2016 at 10:41 AM.

The unit card art is great! I love the faces, it gives the cards more character! Great work!
    P.S. I created my profile just so I can say you're doing a great job!

SerbianWOLF's Avatar Semisalis

Welcome to TW Center !

I was looking for some pictures of the king of France for you but they all seem too fanciful.

This one seems be the best:
    http://mtaville.fr/system/attachment...sade-2-mtv.jpg

During the third crusade he got sick and came back at home fat, bald and blind from an eye.

I have found nothing better but hope it might inspire you a little at least.

Hey Finix, maybe you already have but if you haven't, could you create one of those background showcase things for France like you did for the Teutonic order and a few other factions? It's my birthday tomorrow and that would be a great little gift from an amazing dev team! Your work is great, I love checking these posts to see what else you have created!

Quote Originally Posted by Ashe View Post
    I was looking for some pictures of the king of France for you but they all seem too fanciful.
    Oh they will look great, and they will have smiles on there faces ones you conquer Afghanistan or Persia or India and begin to import Marijuana to Europe.
    They will look happy and all the wars will be stopped, and everyone will live in Total "Peace" rather than Total War.
    And you will be able to build smoking houses not only in capitals but also in random places.
    Last edited by Caucasian Iberia; February 06, 2016 at 01:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Danishmend View Post
    I think Rum-Seljuk/Zengid/Azerbaijan-Atabegs/Khwarezmian etc. portraits can be inspired by Crusader Kings 2's portraits, they were pretty good and had accurate hats/helmets.

Yeah, same goes for the emergent factions Kara Koyun, Ak Koyun and Ottomans and maybe even for the Kipchaks.

Quote Originally Posted by OutsiderKK View Post
    Yeah, same goes for the emergent factions Kara Koyun, Ak Koyun and Ottomans and maybe even for the Kipchaks.
    The Cumans and the Seljuks/Seljuk-successors had an overlap in clothes/helmets, but they also had differences. I think Cumans should be dealt with seperately.

Cumans

Seljuks

UPDATE 0602 Portraits: Megas Komnenos /Trebizond/, Prince Mstislav Romanovich/Kiev/, Tsar Boril of Bulgaria, King John /England/, Grand Prince Ruryk Rostyslavych /Chernigov/, Grand Master of Teutonic order, Makurian king, Philippe II Auguste /France/, Emperor Teodore I Komnenos Laskaris/ Nicaea/

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by finix; February 09, 2016 at 02:06 PM.
    [IMG][/IMG]

SerbianWOLF's Avatar Semisalis

Beautiful work !

Quote Originally Posted by TheIronTyrant View Post
    Hey Finix, maybe you already have but if you haven't, could you create one of those background showcase things for France like you did for the Teutonic order and a few other factions? It's my birthday tomorrow and that would be a great little gift from an amazing dev team! Your work is great, I love checking these posts to see what else you have created!
    Happy Birthday!

[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]