Thread: Pontic Heavy Infantry and Armenian Medium Infantry

Default Pontic Heavy Infantry and Armenian Medium Infantry

Hello. I have a question about these two units. The Pontikoi Thorakitai(Pontic Heavy Infantry) and Srakir Martikner(Armenian Medium Infantry)

For a bunch of elite units that require building a high-level barracks. These units are dissapointing.

I've seen them die faster in a battle against weakened and exhausted hoplites and even light spearmen. and their morale isn't very good even with my general next to them. For a supposed disciplined and elite unit historically capable of standing against the legionaries of Rome, its quite the disappointment.

I'm thinking of changing them but what should be their appropriate stats?

Samariten's Avatar Senator

Default Re: Pontic Heavy Infantry and Armenian Medium Infantry

Quote Originally Posted by Tactics Mayers View Post
    Hello. I have a question about these two units. The Pontikoi Thorakitai(Pontic Heavy Infantry) and Srakir Martikner(Armenian Medium Infantry)

For a bunch of elite units that require building a high-level barracks. These units are dissapointing.

I've seen them die faster in a battle against weakened and exhausted hoplites and even light spearmen. and their morale isn't very good even with my general next to them. For a supposed disciplined and elite unit historically capable of standing against the legionaries of Rome, its quite the disappointment.

I'm thinking of changing them but what should be their appropriate stats?

Are you comparing them with greek classical hoplites? If so the "imitation legios" got better morale and skill. But thats about it. Altough they should be used for flanking and should always be supported by other light/missile units. I wouldnt use them as line infantry if not loads of chevrons and upgraded weapoon + armour from blacksmith.

Historically they were probably levied cause of their mobility, still the outcome against Rome was the same, defeat.

Quote Originally Posted by Samariten View Post
    Are you comparing them with greek classical hoplites? If so the "imitation legios" got better morale and skill. But thats about it. Altough they should be used for flanking and should always be supported by other light/missile units. I wouldnt use them as line infantry if not loads of chevrons and upgraded weapoon + armour from blacksmith.

Historically they were probably levied cause of their mobility, still the outcome against Rome was the same, defeat.
    So I should use mercenaries or the Armenian/Caucasian spear men as the anvil for my hammer and the Armenian Medium Infantry as flankers/flank guards?

Samariten's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Tactics Mayers View Post
    So I should use mercenaries or the Armenian/Caucasian spear men as the anvil for my hammer and the Armenian Medium Infantry as flankers/flank guards?
    Pontus
    Depending of what you have unlocked why not use Galatikoi Kuarothoroi (Galatian Heavy Spearmen), Klerouchoi Phalangitai (Hellenic Medium Phalanx), Hoplitai or even Chalkaspidai (Pontic Elite Phalanx) as line infantry?

Hayasdan
    If forgot about this faction as you mentioned both types of heavy infantry. As Hayasdan one should focus on cavalry instead of infantry as you got horse archers and cataphracts. So same playstyle as with Pahlava. But i think this faction also gain access to greek classical hoplites. Which might be the best use if one really wants to focus on infantry. But its a cavalry focused faction tbh.

Quote Originally Posted by Samariten View Post
    Pontus
    Depending of what you have unlocked why not use Galatikoi Kuarothoroi (Galatian Heavy Spearmen), Klerouchoi Phalangitai (Hellenic Medium Phalanx), Hoplitai or even Chalkaspidai (Pontic Elite Phalanx) as line infantry?

Hayasdan
    If forgot about this faction as you mentioned both types of heavy infantry. As Hayasdan one should focus on cavalry instead of infantry as you got horse archers and cataphracts. So same playstyle as with Pahlava. But i think this faction also gain access to greek classical hoplites. Which might be the best use if one really wants to focus on infantry. But its a cavalry focused faction tbh.
    Agreed, but I also agree with the OP that these units are utterly useless.
    I gave them bothboth 1 def skill and changed their lethality to 0.11.
    Another option I read about was giving them 2 defskil and leave the lethality 0.1.
    Living in the Netherland but am a Frisian the noblest of Germans. NOW playing SAI Julian campaign, http://www.unihorn.nl
    Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent, Isaac Asimov
    F@ck de massa, grijp de Kassa, Bas Hoorn 2009

How would you compare them to the Georgian Medium Infantry? Strangely I find them quite useful despite the low armor compared with the Armenian Version.

I think it is because you have difrent expectaions with "georgians". Their stats are good for what they are: medium/light inf.
    I changed the lethality for georgians to 0.11 aswel to give them just that little extra punch.
    Living in the Netherland but am a Frisian the noblest of Germans. NOW playing SAI Julian campaign, http://www.unihorn.nl
    Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent, Isaac Asimov
    F@ck de massa, grijp de Kassa, Bas Hoorn 2009