Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: [Updated] Making RTW or RTW:Gold work on windows10 - FIX

Default Re: [Updated] Making RTW or RTW:Gold work on windows10 - FIX

I deleted the preferences.txt files and made new ones using the ones from the first page, and tried it first without changing anything, then with changing the resolution to fit my screen's resolution. Still getting the same result.

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Skizzy View Post
    Yeah that's true for RTW, not so sure about M2TW, because I don't have a preferences file in my preferences folder of M2TW..
    'preferences' in M2TW houses the configuration files for the advice progression and the layout of your keyboard references. The default game preferences are contained in the medieval2.preference.cfg file in the root of the game, mod's have their own CFG files that override the default settings. The relevant setting is event_cutscenes = 0 in the [game] section.

Have you tried running RTW with a BAT file? Not convinced that will help, but it's worth a shot - use this code in the BAT file and place it into the root of the game:
    Code:
    @echo off
    start [RTW executable] -show_err
    Replace the [RTW executable] entry as explained in the tutorial.
    Last edited by Gigantus; June 16, 2017 at 11:28 PM.

I have never tried any of that, since M2TW works flawlessly for me.
    However, this is a purely RTW related thread, let's try to keep it that way please.

@Rocketbobcat - What is/are the exact issue(s) you are experiencing?
    Check out this guide for making stuff work on Win10: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...-windows10-FIX

--Let's Carpe the out of this Diem!

Quote Originally Posted by Skizzy View Post
    I have never tried any of that, since M2TW works flawlessly for me.
    However, this is a purely RTW related thread, let's try to keep it that way please.

@Rocketbobcat - What is/are the exact issue(s) you are experiencing?
    This is the best description I think I can give of my problem:

1. I open Steam and go to Rome: Total War, select it and click Play

2. A User Control Window pop-up appears asking if I want to allow an Application from an unknown publisher to make changes to my computer (Shows Application as RomeTW.exe and publisher as Unkown) I click to allow it.

3. Steam shows Rome: Total War - Running and if I have Task Manager running, it shows a Rome Total War process running

4. After about 3 seconds, the process disappears from Task Manager, and after about 5 seconds, steam just shows Rome: Total War without the Running anymore.

That's what happens as best as I can tell.

UPDATE: I tried to run it again in order to ensure I got the names right for Step 2 above, and for some reason it actually started this time.

I was playing another game earlier and changed my screen resolution to something smaller so it would run, and after having changed it back earlier, it seems to now run fine.

Thanks again for your help!

Etruscan's Avatar Civis

This is the best description I think I can give of my problem:

1. I open Steam and go to Rome: Total War, select it and click Play

2. A User Control Window pop-up appears asking if I want to allow an Application from an unknown publisher to make changes to my computer (Shows Application as RomeTW.exe and publisher as Unkown) I click to allow it.

3. Steam shows Rome: Total War - Running

4. After about 3 seconds, the process disappears from Task Manager, and after about 5 seconds, steam just shows Rome: Total War without the Running anymore.

That's what happens as best as I can tell.
    Hey guys this has been happening, started happening yesterday and nothing I can do will stop it. I've tried reinstaling it, changing settings in the preferences, and putting it in compatability mode. Nothing is helping. It's doing this to Rome gold, BI, and Alexander. Nothing is helping and any assistance would be appreceated. Thank you.

Blog Entries

I vaguely recall having problems when trying to play RTR and setting AA_QUALITY:AA_OFF solved the issue. Not sure though if that was graphics card related (Nvidia).

Greeting Mates,

today I felt like having the need for playing TW:Rome. Installed from my (original) Disc, but the Game won't start at all.

So I read the guide from 'Hawk Dreams' and the one from 'skizzy', but none of those tweaks are working (yes, I followed the instructions with meticulous precision). Just now I read the update from 'skizzy', who reference to 'Theesir' - long story short: now I am able to play my games, so thanks for that "clue".

It's a goddamn shame, that humble customers are beeing harassed by jerk dev's, who think it's not necessary to fix their games.

Whatever, greetings from germany and thanks for the help
    @Creative Assembly F.U.

Glad I could help out man!
    Together with Theesir in this case ofc ;]
    Check out this guide for making stuff work on Win10: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...-windows10-FIX

--Let's Carpe the out of this Diem!

Hey guys I'm running Rome on an FX6300+Radeon RX550+4GB RAM/Win10 system at 1366X768 and I'm getting quite low framerates. Settings were maxed out with normal unit sizes (guess those aren't the same as Rome2 ). I played the prologue and in the battles, I got framerates that varied from 60 to 16 to 1(just one time in that case, the game froze) and I don't think these are the numbers I should be getting; because these are similar to the numbers I get on Rome2 and Shogun2 at near high settings. Anything I'm doing wrong or can do?
    Art finds her own perfection within, and not outside of herself. She is not to be judged by any external standard of resemblance. She is a veil, rather than a mirror. -Oscar Wilde

Blog Entries

Nothing much you can do - it's the game, not your set up. I would suggest to reduce special effects like shadows and grass distance.

Laetus

Hey I was just at the Sega website and found out that those people who have the disk versions of Rome: Total War and Medieval II: Total War can activate the Steam versions of the games by using their CD\DVD Key Code adding it to their account. Look at the top left of the Steam screen for Games, click and choose "Activate a Product on Steam", enter your key code at the appropriate time. Wish I had checked the Sega site before I paid for the Rome: Total War game again. I guess a friend of mine just got another free game from me. At least I was able to save my Medieval II game using this knowledge. The Steam versions have apparently been fix and there is no need for any of these Windows 10 workarounds anymore.

Blog Entries

Hi. I just installed RTW and when I run it, a massage "Error: File doesn't exist" would appear along with a string of strange characters which I can't read at all. I tried some steps which are guided but I guess it won't work because the missing thing doesn't seem to have anything to do with the resolution stuff. Sorry for being stupid, but I don't get the Steam part in your guide, I just don't find anything that could be the folder you're talking about. I hope you can help me on this and thanks in advance

On my Win7 64 system, no matter what I do (compatibility with various options, run as admin, -ne, premade preferences files with adapted desktop resolution, reinstalled DX9; steam, retail, clandestine retail, regedit despite clandestine retail...), I can't get to work RTW or BI. Alex works (both Steam and retail versions).

Giving up now. Just wanted to reminisce in some vanilla BI and try a few mods
    Mouzafphaerre, aka Urwendur, Urwendil...

Saul Tyre's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Mouzafphaerre View Post
    On my Win7 64 system, no matter what I do (compatibility with various options, run as admin, -ne, premade preferences files with adapted desktop resolution, reinstalled DX9; steam, retail, clandestine retail, regedit despite clandestine retail...), I can't get to work RTW or BI. Alex works (both Steam and retail versions).

Giving up now. Just wanted to reminisce in some vanilla BI and try a few mods
    Have you tried moving your game outside of programs(x86) steam/steamapps/common or your disk install to c:/drive or another folder?
    Last edited by Saul Tyre; August 12, 2019 at 05:45 AM. Reason: typo
    My personality is who I am....my attitude depends on who you are!!!
    RTR: Imperium Surrectum Team Member/adviser/tester
    RTR Project Group member/RTR8_4.0 beta tester.
    RSII_WWC Team Member/tester.XC_5 Beta tester
    My TW youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/SaulTyre

Quote Originally Posted by Saul Tyre View Post
    Have you tried moving your game outside of programs(x86) steam/steamapps/common or your disk install to c:/drive or another folder?
    I never use Program Files/Program Files (x86) actually. Both my Steam Library and the retail version are on root D.

You gave me an idea though Gonna try putting Rome on C (boot SSD which I usually spare).

You gave me an idea though Gonna try putting Rome on C (boot SSD which I usually spare).
    No luck

Saul Tyre's Avatar Senator

No luck
    I'm sorry to hear that, your issue is a strange one and I've racked my brains for a solution, but several years ago I did had a similar problem(Win 7 pro and disks I don't use steam) and it was to do with windows update KB 3086255 which broke many games and a problem concerning Safedisc, I don't know if you have heard of this but here is the solution I used to rectify that issue, it may be of no use to you but I have had no trouble playing since >>>>

Go to start and type "CMD" in the search box and right click on it in the list > run as administrator and allow changes to computer > then type in the two following commands EXACTLY as I've written them>>> sc config secdrv start= auto >> press "enter">>> sc start secdrv>> press "enter" again and exit, afaik steam should have rectified this issue anyway but it might be worth looking into, sorry I can't be of any more help, good luck laddie.

PS: For anyone reading this reply this solution does NOT work with Win 10.
    Last edited by Saul Tyre; August 12, 2019 at 07:48 PM. Reason: added a PS.
    My personality is who I am....my attitude depends on who you are!!!
    RTR: Imperium Surrectum Team Member/adviser/tester
    RTR Project Group member/RTR8_4.0 beta tester.
    RSII_WWC Team Member/tester.XC_5 Beta tester
    My TW youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/SaulTyre

Already tried that one with the retail version when I couldn't get the Steam one to work. No, it doesn't make a difference unfortunately. Thanks for trying all the same!

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast