Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
Results 161 to 180 of 226

Thread: [Official] Faction Governments and Colonies

  1. #161
    QuintusSertorius's Avatar EBII Hod Carrier
    Artifex

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    11,592

    Default Re: [Official] Faction Governments and Colonies

    The point of the civlib (and provinc) is that it's a Roman factional government, so gives you access to better infrastructure than an Allied Government. It also doesn't convert to a foreign culture (Allied Governments convert to "Independent"). You can also use your FMs as governors, unlike in an Allied Government.

    Note the provinc gives recruitment after the Marian reform - pretty good recruitment too.

  2. #162

    Default Re: [Official] Faction Governments and Colonies

    So has anyone got an idea how to get the 2nd Nabatean reform? I read in the 2.2 preview that the Nabatean reforms had been tweaked, and I'm feeling kind of frustrated with my current campaign. I've got a philhellenic malik, 2 metropoleis (complete with large markets), 2 poleis (one of which has a large market built), and I'm on turn 270 or so, so the thorakitai reform should have already happened. The only thing I can think is that maybe I need to literally have 3 hellenistic poleis (-not- metropoleis), but that would be incredibly obtuse and disappointing. It's at the point where I'm seriously considering scrapping this campaign because the Hanabati feel like they need to jump too many hoops in order to progress their narrative. It's a shame because even if it's rough around the edges, I really like their theme and think they're a challenging and cool faction.

  3. #163

    Default Re: [Official] Faction Governments and Colonies

    Nabatu's second reform was broken prior to 2.2e (or maybe 2.2f, not sure). Which version are you playing?

  4. #164
    QuintusSertorius's Avatar EBII Hod Carrier
    Artifex

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    11,592

    Default Re: [Official] Faction Governments and Colonies

    Quote Originally Posted by rhavviepoodle View Post
    So has anyone got an idea how to get the 2nd Nabatean reform? I read in the 2.2 preview that the Nabatean reforms had been tweaked, and I'm feeling kind of frustrated with my current campaign. I've got a philhellenic malik, 2 metropoleis (complete with large markets), 2 poleis (one of which has a large market built), and I'm on turn 270 or so, so the thorakitai reform should have already happened. The only thing I can think is that maybe I need to literally have 3 hellenistic poleis (-not- metropoleis), but that would be incredibly obtuse and disappointing. It's at the point where I'm seriously considering scrapping this campaign because the Hanabati feel like they need to jump too many hoops in order to progress their narrative. It's a shame because even if it's rough around the edges, I really like their theme and think they're a challenging and cool faction.
    Quote Originally Posted by Colos1987 View Post
    Nabatu's second reform was broken prior to 2.2e (or maybe 2.2f, not sure). Which version are you playing?
    It only works from 2.2f onwards. If you have an earlier version, a sequencing error in the monitors means it'll never be fulfilled.

  5. #165

    Default Re: [Official] Faction Governments and Colonies

    I'm running 2.2b, which would explain why it isn't working. I'm pretty sure it was the version I got from moddb, which I picked over the actual EB website because I didn't want to use a torrent to download the mod. Thanks for clearing that up, folks, I guess I'll have to upgrade sometime anyway. I'll definitely have to eventually give the Hanabati another shot, even if it isn't immediately.

  6. #166

    Default Re: [Official] Faction Governments and Colonies

    Or There's recently been an update from 2.2b to 2.2f and I didn't notice that. Sorry folks, it's early and my brain ain't quite making sense yet. Downloading the patch right now, then.

  7. #167
    QuintusSertorius's Avatar EBII Hod Carrier
    Artifex

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    11,592

    Default Re: [Official] Faction Governments and Colonies

    Fortunately, having a working 2.2b means you're perfectly placed to update to 2.2f (there's no intermediate patches needed).

  8. #168

    Default Re: [Official] Faction Governments and Colonies

    I'am playing as the Romani and while expanding to other territories (Hispania and Greece) is the general strategy in those areas is to set up Allied State governments and then afterwards destroy them and build Roman Province governments later on? For example I have conquered Pella and I cannot build Regional Pacification because the civil unrest (culture clash) is too high so I have to install an allied government and a reasonable garrison to stop rioting. But as I understand it that Greece becomes an important roman province in the republic/empire later on. Am I missing a tip here or do I have a good idea? I am in season number 243.

    Thank you and I have been enjoying the game so far.

  9. #169
    QuintusSertorius's Avatar EBII Hod Carrier
    Artifex

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    11,592

    Default Re: [Official] Faction Governments and Colonies

    Allied Governments are a good transitional option to keep order early on; at the very least the normal lifespan of a Client Ruler should be good enough to settle and develop them enough that you might have the option to go factional later on.

    But the difficulties of holding areas with different cultures is entirely intended.

  10. #170

    Default Re: [Official] Faction Governments and Colonies

    I don't think you can recruit anything from Provincia before the Marian reform kicks in.

    Colos

  11. #171

    Default Re: [Official] Faction Governments and Colonies

    Thank you for the speedy replies. I understand about the difficulty of holding on different areas with another culture as there was the odd rebellion here and there during that time. Just adds another layer of gameplay

  12. #172

    Default Re: [Official] Faction Governments and Colonies

    So after an hour or so of research I thought I'd finally figured out how the Hellenic Governments worked for Pergamon and when you might want each kind.

    I took Ephesos and felt getting a Metropolis there was the highest priority, and that necessitated demolishing the existing first level Hellenistic Military Colony so I could build the Eleutheria kai Autonomia (Hellenic Administration). Only, when I had completed it, the Hellenistic Military Colony chain was still available. What then is the point of the Epistateia epi Hellenas (Supervised Hellenic Administration)? Does it unlock a building which is a requirement for the 2nd level Colony building? Why is there a restriction like that on the Hellenic Administration if you can just build new military colonies once your government is set up?

  13. #173
    QuintusSertorius's Avatar EBII Hod Carrier
    Artifex

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    11,592

    Default Re: [Official] Faction Governments and Colonies

    Quote Originally Posted by Kolaris8472 View Post
    So after an hour or so of research I thought I'd finally figured out how the Hellenic Governments worked for Pergamon and when you might want each kind.

    I took Ephesos and felt getting a Metropolis there was the highest priority, and that necessitated demolishing the existing first level Hellenistic Military Colony so I could build the Eleutheria kai Autonomia (Hellenic Administration). Only, when I had completed it, the Hellenistic Military Colony chain was still available. What then is the point of the Epistateia epi Hellenas (Supervised Hellenic Administration)? Does it unlock a building which is a requirement for the 2nd level Colony building? Why is there a restriction like that on the Hellenic Administration if you can just build new military colonies once your government is set up?
    You should never, ever destroy Hellenistic Colonies as a Hellenistic faction. They are the source of your best units, and require a finite resource to build.

    A Supervised Hellenic Admin has better construction options (and a slightly improved native roster - it gives native cavalry). Note in Ephesos specifically, there's no apparent difference because there is no native roster in Greek settlements (since they have a polis you can recruit from directly).

    The Hellenic Admin is a less invasive/obtrusive form of government (but also lower), which is why it has a happiness bonus. If a place already has a colony present, there's absolutely no reason to build a Hellenic Admin.

    You can still upgrade to a Metropolis, regardless of government. Besides which, colonies speed the conversion process, so upgrading that colony would have served you better if you want a Metropolis.
    Last edited by QuintusSertorius; March 09, 2017 at 02:44 AM.

  14. #174

    Default Re: [Official] Faction Governments and Colonies

    Alright thanks. I admit that's a little disappointing. Not only that I'll have to rebuild a few things, but because the government tree is more one-dimensional than it appeared. Though on the plus side it's much more like EB1 than it seemed.

    I'm confused by the image in the OP - what do the requirements in blue mean? The "Eleutheria kai Autonomia" requirement on Polis and Metropolis is an implied "or greater" I take it?

  15. #175
    QuintusSertorius's Avatar EBII Hod Carrier
    Artifex

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    11,592

    Default Re: [Official] Faction Governments and Colonies

    The trees can only really go in a simple progression, that's how they're structured by (CA's) design. Also note as a Hellenistic faction, government buildings aren't where you get your core units from, they come from polis and colony. At most you get some locals from the government buildings.

    Yes, with one very special exception, requirements are always either that level or greater, or that level or less. Not to a specific level only.

  16. #176
    Julio85's Avatar Decanus
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Torino, Italy
    Posts
    544

    Default Re: [Official] Faction Governments and Colonies

    need an updated after the new release (cultures)

  17. #177
    QuintusSertorius's Avatar EBII Hod Carrier
    Artifex

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    11,592

    Default Re: [Official] Faction Governments and Colonies

    Quote Originally Posted by Julio85 View Post
    need an updated after the new release (cultures)
    Mantaprey (who's now an EBII team member) is working on it.

  18. #178

    Default Re: [Official] Faction Governments and Colonies

    Hi. I'm having an absolute blast playing my first serious campaign, as the Suebi, but I've a wonder: when it comes to the recruitment pool, is there any benefit to migrating in three tribes rather than two or just one? Do the available units add up or do the buildings cancel each other out? I've been looking around for more info about the tribal system (which I absolutely adore; I couldn't imagine leaving the old and tidy "gov-1-2-4" behind at first, but this is genius!) but I haven't had much luck so far.

  19. #179

    Default Re: Faction Governments and Colonies

    Quote Originally Posted by Jervaj View Post
    In fact Provincia Romana does have conversion
    I am sure there is an answer to this somewhere already, but what is the conversion at then? I am trying to get a handle on what does conversion and at what rates, but none of the buildings that have conversion bonuses seem to say so.
    Genesis of Empires | Community Creative Writing
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources
    | My Nabataean AAR for EBII
    | My Ongoing Creative Writing

  20. #180
    QuintusSertorius's Avatar EBII Hod Carrier
    Artifex

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    11,592

    Default Re: Faction Governments and Colonies

    Quote Originally Posted by Kilo11 View Post
    I am sure there is an answer to this somewhere already, but what is the conversion at then? I am trying to get a handle on what does conversion and at what rates, but none of the buildings that have conversion bonuses seem to say so.
    It doesn't. The only Roman government with conversion is the Mvnicipivm.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •