Thread: Magix, Lighting and Visual Effects

Aanker's Avatar Concordant

Default Magix, Lighting and Visual Effects

So in the Gameplay Trailer we got to see some magic and spells in action for the first time, as well as some artillery, gunfire and explosions.

In my opinion, the spells looked underwhelming from a visual standpoint - at least the Bad Moon spell and the Comet - and this was mostly down to weak and underperforming lighting. To me, the spells looked more like explosions of paint and dust than real fire or energetic discharges. Making fire and explosions in Total War look luminous enough has always been a bit of an issue (personally I think Napoleon did it really well, but even then the gunfire flash was minimal compared to the orange flame decal), but I think the issue is being accentuated by the ambition of CA to create a uniformly 'grimdark' visual environment (at least in Blackfire Pass). This however comes at the expense of contrast, something that secondary light sources such as explosions could contribute to.

If the luminosity of or intensity of light from spells and gunpowder detonations were increased, these features would help make the battlefield look more alive than a pool of greys and browns. Magic and gunfire would pop out and distinguish the action on the ground for the player. Right now, it might even be difficult to notice that a spell is going on, and where (already a problem in Attila, in my opinion, with fire and fire arrows).

Default Re: Magix, Lighting and Visual Effects

A 50ft Green God is hard to see? I know what you mean, though. It felt more like the old school 2d sprite effect rather than a particle thing.

paradamed's Avatar Praepositus

I agree. Effects for the spells looked kind of dated. I noticed that unlike Medieval 2 the textures can have some degree of transparency just like in RTW. Maybe they are making some compromises focusing on performance, I dont know.

Maybe it's too early to judge the visual effects of the spells. I think a little posteffects like glow etc. could add some flavour. Something like this :

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Hard to really judge yet. They can't improve visuals with their restrictive engine though.

The green ball is OP as hell and stupid Everything else i would rate 9/10 and green ball 1/10
    3570K 4700mhz cooled with Corsair H80 // Asus Z77 // MSI GTX 580
    16GB 2400mhz DDR3 // Crucial M4 256GB Raid 0 // Dell 2007WFP

paradamed's Avatar Praepositus

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi View Post
    The green ball is OP as hell and stupid Everything else i would rate 9/10 and green ball 1/10
    This thread is not about balancing the spells. We dont even know how they will work yet. It is about visual effects not combat effects.