Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: Ancient Empires: Divide et Impera - Upd. 2/13/2016

Default Re: Ancient Empires: Divide et Impera v00 (Beta) - Upd. 8/15

I have to assume you have a mod conflict. That result doesn't happen when the mod is working properly.

Quote Originally Posted by HunterKYA View Post
    What have the stats been upped to to make the battles longer? I tried a custom battle, a straight 10 v 10 fight (highest morale) as a test, and this happened:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Notice the battle time. There was fighting for roughly 85% of the overall time, and not a single person was killed. Same thing happened when I tried the mod in the prologue.
    I really don't understand how you are getting results like this. I spend a great deal of my time protecting my flanks and being careful with how I use my cavalry. Any sort of cavalry charge and ...I lose men. Any sort of flanking attack and...I lose men. I think heavy infantry against heavy infantry..head on, can be a grind but, even then there are losses, not many but there are losses.

I have to say I am thoroughly enjoying the battles. I think this mod has one of (if not the) best, most accurate depiction of battles of this era. It is all about flanking, protecting your own flanks and demoralising your opponents.

Quote Originally Posted by Augustusng View Post
    I have to assume you have a mod conflict. That result doesn't happen when the mod is working properly.
    Turns out one of the sub-mods I had for DeI was conflicting with the kill rates. Once disabled, problem resolved itself.

I sometimes crash when i end the turn in the grand campaign with the Imperator Augustus map while playing as Athens. I can sometimes avoid it by declaring war on some random factions to try and "mix things up" before ending the turn and it sometimes work meaning i can go throgh with the end turn without crashes, maybe have a look at the diplomacy or something? I remember DeI having an issue like this with end turn crashes when the end turn reached Egypt, this seems like a similair problem. Though i havent checked wich faction the end turn stops at before crashing.
    Last edited by Fedual; September 12, 2015 at 05:42 AM.

I have crashes after the end turn. So, it goes through it's process, completes it...I read the updates and then...a few seconds later it freezes. I used to have this problem with DEI and it was suggested to me that I use the standalone version rather than the Steam version...which seemed to work. However, it appears I can't do that with the Ancient Empires sub-mod as they share the same name and so...Steam refuses to acknowledge the mod unless I activate it through Steam. Is there a possibility of differentiating the two versions?

Okay, so a couple of..errors? As Macedon I hired two units of Tarentine cavalry. However, they seem to have come along and forgotten their horses (this rather ballsed up my tactics in battle...it took me a while to figure out why these 'cavalry' units were so slow...).

The battle I fought was against Tylis. Their bowmen were almost impossible to kill. It didn't matter who I put against them..they would not die, and their morale (possibly as a result of their near invincibility) was huge. Won't die and won't break. And Tylis had managed to pass through my lands into Epirus and take Appolonia??! I'm not sure I understand the need for such high movement points.

When units rout...I mean properly rout, not just break, they would - as a rule - drop their equipment and flee the field of battle (hence the advice to Spartans to return either with their shield or on it) and routing was generally the period when the greatest death tolls took place...but routing units not only stand up well to being chased down, they turn out to be extremely dangerous to those chasing them down. Is this a hardcoded issue with Rome 2?

The last thing I'll mention is...as Macedon I can barely afford to keep one reasonably full-stack army and a very small secondary (defensive) force, yet my neighbours (and enemies) seem able to put together multiple and massive stacks - even if they only hold one 'province'.

What's all this nonsense about client states being in a position to not trade with you? I know..I know, that IS CA's doing.

So, just to be clear, these aren't complaints. This is a beta and I'm assuming feedback is welcome in terms of fine-tuning etc.
    Last edited by Cassibellane; September 12, 2015 at 11:40 AM.

Do I have to start a new campaign to play this? (Sorry if this has been stated somewhere)

Quote Originally Posted by TheAnkka View Post
    Do I have to start a new campaign to play this? (Sorry if this has been stated somewhere)
    Yes you do as it changes the start pos on the grand campaign, it is not recommended to play on mini campaigns as most of the campaign features are not implemented.

Quote Originally Posted by Cassibellane View Post
    Okay, so a couple of..errors? As Macedon I hired two units of Tarentine cavalry. However, they seem to have come along and forgotten their horses (this rather ballsed up my tactics in battle...it took me a while to figure out why these 'cavalry' units were so slow...).

The battle I fought was against Tylis. Their bowmen were almost impossible to kill. It didn't matter who I put against them..they would not die, and their morale (possibly as a result of their near invincibility) was huge. Won't die and won't break. And Tylis had managed to pass through my lands into Epirus and take Appolonia??! I'm not sure I understand the need for such high movement points.
    That does seem to be an issue that I have encountered before, I was able to solve it by starting a new campaign with increased unit size.
    As to the second one, skirmishers still seem to be very tough even against heavy cavalry, in one such instance I had Germanic Noble Riders charge a Germanic Hunter to be killed in melee by the one next to it. Do you have any submods as they could changing the balance of units, also can you check to see if their bowmen had regular stats as opposed to low stats.

Quote Originally Posted by TFCAliarcy View Post
    Yes you do as it changes the start pos on the grand campaign, it is not recommended to play on mini campaigns as most of the campaign features are not implemented.

That does seem to be an issue that I have encountered before, I was able to solve it by starting a new campaign with increased unit size.
    As to the second one, skirmishers still seem to be very tough even against heavy cavalry, in one such instance I had Germanic Noble Riders charge a Germanic Hunter to be killed in melee by the one next to it. Do you have any submods as they could changing the balance of units, also can you check to see if their bowmen had regular stats as opposed to low stats.
    Thanks. I'll give the unit size increase a go, and I'll check the stats on the bowmen...

Not sure about this one, but Mauryan Culture doesn't work properly - religious buildings don't promote buddhism, although I'm not sure if this is intentional or not. Also, Saba Royal Swordmen don't uses swords. They use spears, even against infantry.

a macedonian campaingn is tough since all of greece seems to hate your existance

Update: I'm about 230 turns in now. My thoughts so far:
    I'm really enjoying this mod. It is challenging up until late game. I'm playing as Rome and have already taken all of Africa, Italy, Sicily, Spain and half of Gaul. Building up to this point in my campaign was very difficult but after I was making enough income for supporting armies in each region it became way too easy.
    The reasons for this are as follows:
    1. It is very easy to keep each province happy. I have had only one rebellion during my entire play through. Newly conquered lands seem to be overjoyed to have a conquer walk through the gates. You can just steamroll whole factions with one army and their population could careless. You don't have to leave any retaining force behind to watch for rebellions.
    2. Movement points are way too long. I know this was implemented to help out the A.I.. It helps the player even more, especially in the late game. Once you have two free army you can win one big battle and then steamroll thousands of miles of land within a few turns. For example, Malissia owned most of Spain and half of Africa. I took three armies and completely took over Africa, and all of Spain within a span of 10 turns. I defeated their main army in Africa and just leap frogged from settlement to settlement with three armies before they could raise any substantial force to stop me. The movement points of each turn allows me to take three settlements every turn. If I keep this momentum going, I will have the entire world conquered before 100 B.C.
    3. I've noticed some units are OP. Especially ranged units. I should have been writing them down. I've encountered bow units that could hold their own against cav. I've also seen them be engaged from the front by infantry and hit from behind with cav. and not route for the majority of the battle. Also, projectiles inflict way too much casualties when compared to melee units. Bow & javelin units can wither down a an enemy in a matter of seconds especially at higher rank. This problem is further compounded by the fact that they can hold off infantry or cav. in melee for extended periods of time.
    4. I miss combat animations.
    Last edited by tikijoetots37; September 13, 2015 at 09:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by tikijoetots37 View Post
    Update: I'm about 230 turns in now. My thoughts so far:
    I'm really enjoying this mod. It is challenging up until late game. I'm playing as Rome and have already taken all of Africa, Italy, Sicily, Spain and half of Gaul. Building up to this point in my campaign was very difficult but after I was making enough income for supporting armies in each region it became way too easy.
    The reasons for this are as follows:
    1. It is very easy to keep each province happy. I have had only one rebellion during my entire play through. Newly conquered lands seem to be overjoyed to have a conquer walk through the gates. You can just steamroll whole factions with one army and their population could careless. You don't have to leave any retaining force behind to watch for rebellions.
    2. Movement points are way too long. I know this was implemented to help out the A.I.. It helps the player even more, especially in the late game. Once you have two free army you can win one big battle and then steamroll thousands of miles of land within a few turns. For example, Malissia owned most of Spain and half of Africa. I took three armies and completely took over Africa, and all of Spain within a span of 10 turns. I defeated their main army in Africa and just leap frogged from settlement to settlement with three armies before they could raise any substantial force to stop me. The movement points of each turn allows me to take three settlements every turn. If I keep this momentum going, I will have the entire world conquered before 100 B.C.
    3. I've noticed some units are OP. Especially ranged units. I should have been writing them down. I've encountered bow units that could hold their own against cav. I've also seen them be engaged from the front by infantry and hit from behind with cav. and not route for the majority of the battle. Also, projectiles inflict way too much casualties when compared to melee units. Bow & javelin units can wither down a an enemy in a matter of seconds especially at higher rank. This problem is further compounded by the fact that they can hold off infantry or cav. in melee for extended periods of time.
    4. I miss combat animations.
    The public order issue must be either an aspect of Rome or, perhaps, subject to another submod? Because as Macedon any region I take is up in arms and rebelling within a couple of turns.

But the bowmen issue, I have already had this (as mentioned a couple of posts previously)...and it's not just that they are impervious to heavy cavalry, but also heavy infantry as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Cassibellane View Post
    The public order issue must be either an aspect of Rome or, perhaps, subject to another submod? Because as Macedon any region I take is up in arms and rebelling within a couple of turns.
    The problem is that if the region rebels, and you cut down the rebellion, you end up with a huge public order bonus for military crackdown.

Additionally I've noticed that if you go from one region to another, the movement points can reset.

Roman Campaign update:
    I'm now 280 turns into my campaign. It has picked up and is now really difficult again. After my rampage through Spain, I took the last province holding out on me. For some reason, After I took this province in Spain I went bankrupt. I had an income of 5,000 or close to it. After I took this province I'm now at -8,000. I did a test and reloaded an earlier save. Instead of taking the province I let it be. My income stayed in the 5,000 range. A few turns later, I tried to take the province again. My projected income went back in the negative -8,000. Is this a bug or is it intentional? I've been trying to figure out were this huge drop in income is coming from. The treasury tab really doesn't say much. My only guess is that my empire maintenance is skyrocketing because I've taken one to many provinces.

Anyways, I took it and rolled with it. I disbanded my navy and downsized my army. By this point, the entire world hates me and has declared war on me. The only allies I have are those of whom I have liberated. Its been interesting to see empires rise and fall over the course of the game. Macedon went from owning most of Greece and half of Asia to being completely wiped out by other factions. The scilucide are now the most powerful faction. They own all of Asia and half of Greece. They're ultra war mongers, lol. I'm having to fight off an invasion from them every few turns. They keep hitting me hard in Africa. I'm really struggling to hold on to my gains. Too many provinces and not enough armies. The reduced income has really been a drag. I made the mistake of letting Malissa stay in Spain and signed a peace treaty with them. When I downsized my army, they attacked and have taken back three provinces. Anyways, It's been great fun so far. Can't wait to see further iterations of this mod.

It'd be awesome if someone could explain to me why my income dropped like it did? Any help would be much appreciated.

Delete

Quote Originally Posted by Alfonzo over Innsmouths View Post
    The problem is that if the region rebels, and you cut down the rebellion, you end up with a huge public order bonus for military crackdown.

Additionally I've noticed that if you go from one region to another, the movement points can reset.
    I think it does have somthing to do with the family I choose to play with as Rome. I think they get public happiness bonus's or something.

cavalry is very weak.they can not handle against archers.And some cavalry has not horses (Numidian mercenary cavalry)

I am beginning to see some odd results in battle. A group of Athenian Greek peltasts who defeated two units of my own (macedon) Greek peltasts- each of which individually had more men and had the high ground. The same peltasts then held of a phalanx of Macedon pikemen...who again had the high ground. Ranged units (particularly archers) are too lethal from the front. I'd expect them to do a great deal of damage from the flanks or the rear, but they are just lethal from frontal attacks as well...and that from downhill - and they seem to have a never ending supply of arrows.

Just a quick question. The battle in which my Greek Peltasts and pikemen were held off by a single unit of Athenian Greek peltasts was a sally out of Athens, supported by a Spartan relief force. Do defenders of cities get morale (and other) bonuses in battles? That would help to explain that particular instance. And if that is the case, is there any way of debuffing those bonuses? I can understand an increase in 'morale' (it's their home city, they are fighting for their independence etc.) but....to that extent?