Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Ancient Empires: Divide et Impera - Upd. 2/13/2016

Default Re: Ancient Empires: Divide et Impera v00 (Beta)

Quote Originally Posted by Sheridan View Post
    Killing animations were done away with to maintain better lines in combat, to what I recall Rome II didn't have a separate modifier for killing animations than the matched combat itself, which Attila does. But there's a good chance we'll revise this.

I don't object to quicker combat myself. Haven't played this for very long but mostly been occupied with the Attila mod instead, Petellius is more familiar with the final changes to the Rome II battles before it was released. What specifically do you mean with "look and feel" of battles though?
    I was doing an experiment where I removed all the matched combat animations while leaving kill animations in. That way I was able to increase matched combat percentage to 100%. Now it worked perfectly in the vanilla game but no matter what I did a few of the soldiers still died without any animation ( I wasn't able to resolve the issue ) in DeI. It was still better than nothing and I agree with Purple, we should have kill animations in but without matched combat. Since you guys are much more experienced than I am maybe you can take a look, if not able to fix it you can still use it to have kill animations showing at least 80% of the time without matched combat.

See here:
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...ons&highlight=

EDIT: I have uploaded the file to the dropbox. Its under a new folder. I'm hoping you can find some use from it. If you have any questions please ask, I still remember what I did

Regards
    Last edited by Denco; August 05, 2015 at 04:47 PM.

First of all congrats on the release i would like to give some initial thoughts.
    I only had time to play couple of battles, a few things that caught my eye is Movement is a little slow, i was chasing some routing enemies with Roman general cav and i caught them at the edge of the map, also charging units are really slow, and for me at least that takes away from that huge awesome clash.
    Another thing did you guys removed the animations when armies clash or just kill animation? because i didn't see any and i really like those.

Are the traits supposed to have lots of different extremities with many of them being negative?

Quote Originally Posted by Sheridan View Post
    Killing animations were done away with to maintain better lines in combat, to what I recall Rome II didn't have a separate modifier for killing animations than the matched combat itself, which Attila does. But there's a good chance we'll revise this.

I don't object to quicker combat myself. Haven't played this for very long but mostly been occupied with the Attila mod instead, Petellius is more familiar with the final changes to the Rome II battles before it was released. What specifically do you mean with "look and feel" of battles though?
    Thanks for the reply. Well I mainly mean things like charges, clashes and animations. Apologies for being vague.

we should have kill animations in but without matched combat
    hmm interesting idea.

Another thing is that Baktria cannot recruit AoR units, I am not aware of if this also afflicts other factions, also factional mercenaries have DEI stats.

delita5's Avatar Libertus

Impressive work; new religions, change map, new factions more ...
    I noticed some strange things I do not know if it was intentional or bug and for example:
    You will increase the time of skill research?

duplicate ?

New bonus for the city?

For some unknown reason Selenic went to war with me when I spent the first turn until there all much I have not received any requests for war in the diplomacy screen and I got a bad reputation (as if I had broken the agreement) look at the first photo other than the declaration of war in historico at the beginning of the second turn

in the second picture show the bad reputation that got with all factions

OBS: i using DEI version TW, you mod

duskwarrior797's Avatar Civis

This submod is great, congrats on the release. However there are a few minor issues that I had with it, at least in custom battles:

The look of units shared by different factions don't match up. Let me explain what I mean by that. A unit of levy pikemen, playing as Macedon, looked Eastern rather than Hellenic.

Movement of cavalry seems a bit off. It seems too slow, except when the cavalry is charging. Not sure if that's intentional or not.

In addition, infantry charges seem to become ridiculously slow right before they come in contact with an enemy unit. Again, it might be intentional, but if not, I'm just giving a head's up.

Other than that, I have been enjoying battles with this submod. Keep up the good work!

The look of units shared by different factions don't match up. Let me explain what I mean by that. A unit of levy pikemen, playing as Macedon, looked Eastern rather than Hellenic.
    Yea, this was a mistake on my end that will have to be fixed. I got lazy with some of the unit variants and assigning them to all the new factions which is causing some conflicts. Thanks for pointing this out.

For some unknown reason Selenic went to war with me when I spent the first turn until there all much I have not received any requests for war in the diplomacy screen and I got a bad reputation (as if I had broken the agreement) look at the first photo other than the declaration of war in historico at the beginning of the second turn
    There's not much we can do on this, but negative reputation early in campaign goes away pretty quickly. Basically, the game handles broken treaties rather moronically at the moment.

I'll look into some of the other issues. Thanks for posting with photos. Similar to most of the other issues.

Petellius and Philip will be able to comment more on the battle aspects. Cavalry speed is something I feel may be too low myself. Some issues may be caused by the fact that we had to redo the stats on some 1600 units in DeI. In one go, it's tough to get that right.

FlashHeart07's Avatar Praepositus

Quote Originally Posted by delita5 View Post
    Impressive work; new religions, change map, new factions more ...
    I noticed some strange things I do not know if it was intentional or bug and for example:

New bonus for the city?
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

OBS: i using DEI version TW, you mod
    First of all. Try and use the Spoiler tag to minimize the space you use when posting pictures.
    Second. That is region effects. Something which the AE team created to illustrate, well. Regional effects. Some regions had alot of trade coming through them due to their geographical position. The regional effects will express this among other things.
    This will also be implemented in Divide et Impera.
    And thanks again to the AE team for this feature. Really awesome.

Streamlined and simplified stats for all units. They now work on a smaller scale.
    what do you mean by this?

I just released another major update. I'm going to hold off on fixing the startpos for a little bit, unless there's some large stability issue I need to fix. But we'll continue to patch things up for the numerous bugs.

This update addressed battle pacing and the unit_variants issue where Macedon was getting Baktrian pikemen and such. So, two pretty important ones, but save game compatible.

what do you mean by this?
    Stats are basically smaller. So, instead of a melee attack ranging from say 50-70 or something (hypothetical numbers), they will range from, say, 6-9. Stats are on these smaller scales.

yeah they seem more usefull now. I wonder why they were on larger scale anyway. there were huge differences between units stats?

there were huge differences between units stats?
    There tended to be more of a difference, yea. Large scale was really done, in my view, so there could be more ways to buff units through the campaign effects.

The current scale being used here is a bit different than what ours would typically be as we scaled down DeI's stats. But in general, the stats are, in our view, simpler to read on the smaller scale.

Hey guys

My opinion for the moment is i don't like this submod...

I regret:

I regret:

No fighting in formation !! I see no way to fight the Romans in disorder like that ... The Roman and other ancient units fought in formation. Why have it removed?
    The camera too close to the battlefield.
    The significantly worse graphics
    The rooster of the ugliest units
    Very slow moving units. Even when they charge

I confessed to be disappointed this time.

wait you guys have changed the units?

Quote Originally Posted by Farrell View Post
    Hey guys

I regret:

I regret:

No fighting in formation !! I see no way to fight the Romans in disorder like that ... The Roman and other ancient units fought in formation. Why have it removed?

Repent, and your regrets shall vanish.

On a serious note,

• Formation attack is still there, absolutely clueless what you're ranting about
    • Subjective but fair criticism
    • Do you think Ancient Empires is a graphics overhaul?
    • You mean the DeI rosters?
    • This might just be the only point that isn't moot or outright irrelevant

Good, good, you made your confession.
    Campaign modder for Ancient Empires

maxstill's Avatar Semisalis

Quote Originally Posted by Farrell View Post
    Hey guys

I regret:

I regret:

First of all graphics have nothing to do with the mod, yeah Rome II looks like crap, no mod can fix that.
    Second, the camera has different settings you know, it's very easy to edit as well.
    Also formations in RTW II , what game have you been playing, are you sure it's Rome, even I tried modding that crap, did not work, not at all.
    Units are historically accurate, that means no flashy stuff, well at least not on the none elite units.
    That being said I do wish for a little bit more fluff when it comes to the textures.
    Ahh!!
    Constructive criticism is hard.
    Last edited by maxstill; August 06, 2015 at 12:48 PM.

Have any of you tried the graphic mods which is out there? GEM?

Ygraine's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by FlashHeart07 View Post
    Have any of you tried the graphic mods which is out there? GEM?
    GEM works fine with AE submod (why wouldn't it?).

Quote Originally Posted by Ygraine View Post
    GEM works fine with AE submod (why wouldn't it?).
    Never said that it didnt work. People complaining that the graphics suck, are usually people who have no knowledge of graphical mods like GEM. I was merely informing people of its excistence