Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: The Third Samnite War [HATG DLC needed] [v. alpha.003][Patch 17 Only]

The Wandering Storyteller's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Default Re: The Third Samnite War [HATG DLC needed] [v. alpha.001]

Hello, will you be making any mod campaigns for the Roman-Marcomanni wars, and the Roman-Parthian wars?

Quote Originally Posted by The Triumph of Rome View Post
    Hello, will you be making any mod campaigns for the Roman-Marcomanni wars, and the Roman-Parthian wars?
    Hello, no.

Great magna grecia hoplites!

I've started to implement unic miltary building, so far, thats the list:

-Campus Martius(Latium-Tarracina)(Roman Military)

-Ephebeia(Hellenic Military)
    }Taras
    }Syrakousai
    }Kroton

-Verheia(Oscan military)
    }Safinim
    }Kapua
    }Bruuteis
    }Luvkanateis
    }Ombreis
    }Iapuzcum

-Venetik Military(in Patavium)

-Ligurian Military(in Genua)

-Etruscan Military(in Tarchna and Arretim)

Every of them features AOR units like previously and even...thats the novelty: unic AOR garrisons(damn yes, seriously), you can't destroy the buildings, but you can use the building like if its your own. Beside, greeks, romans and punics will always be able to get some little factional garrisons everywhere, but in very little numbers. Mostly due to their colonialist natures. I will later expand that system for the whole map, for now my priority was main factions and their units.

Open the spoiler, I screened some of the garrisons:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

I assume its badly explained but very enjoyable if you like accuracy.

Some graphics for the next version(credits are mentionned)

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Last edited by VINC.XXIII; September 03, 2015 at 06:27 PM.

Mausolos of Caria's Avatar Royal Satrap

A very good idea and realisation, + rep
    "Pompeius, after having finished the war against Mithridates, when he went to call at the house of Poseidonios, the famous teacher of philosophy, forbade the lictor to knock at the door, as was the usual custom, and he, to whom both the eastern and the western world had yielded submission, ordered the fasces to be lowered before the door of science."

Pliny the Elder, Naturalis Historia, 7, 112

I really like the new models. This, for sure, will give some well deserved love to all those factions, especially the Etruscans .

I've removed the download link(next version in a few days hopefully)

A bit of punics, Dorkim Kadoshim, the aristocratic phalanx appointed to defend the city.

(credits to Paeninsula Italica Team, carving of these hoplons based on their punic patterns)

Last edited by VINC.XXIII; September 11, 2015 at 06:01 PM.

@everyone, thanks for the nice comments.

Default Re: The Third Samnite War [HATG DLC needed] [v. alpha.002]

Mod has been upgraded at version alpha 002. Don't forget to download and to enable the two packs!

To resume:
    -Some new units and materials
    -New Unic Military Building for italic régions
    -Régions spécifications as effects, so far two main kinds: Polis-based agrarian régions and Tribal-based agro-pastoral régions. This has big influences on agriculture and demography.

The F.A.Q:

-I can't convert peoples to my culture, why?
    No you cannot, cultures now represents historical macro-ethnies, this is a 12 turns/years mod, then you can't zombie peoples in 6 months by building temples and sending agents. My approach is mainly adaptation of Michel Dietler amazing book and Adriano La Regina works on pre-roman Italy.

In few words, a celt guy who buy a greek pottery won't become a greek.

There is no "What if units", cases of "creolization" are/will be distilled with parcimony and if historical proofs allows it. Typically, with Massalia, this mod offers a vision more in accordance with M.Clavel-Leveque works(who written about Massalia: "...a greek island among barbarians...". So no celtic hoplites, no greek hoplites with celtic cloaks. I make strong distinctions between very superficial hellenization/romanisation of a local clique of oligarchs/tribal chieftains and what peoples are.

But to give the change, you can now rule more easily régions being of other cultures/ethnies and diplomatic malus are lowered. Just like Romans ruling Oscans, Etruscans, South Italic Greeks...etc
    Last edited by VINC.XXIII; September 24, 2015 at 05:17 AM.

Very impressive! Really!
    The idea of making unique military buildings and attaching unique garrisons to them is fantastic! (and not only that!)
    Bravo VINC!

Mod is now available on evil Steam for those who wants, still they need to download GAC Hellenic Texture Pack and to enable both packs.

STEAM Link:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=524235723
    Last edited by VINC.XXIII; September 25, 2015 at 04:46 AM.

PhilipO'Hayda's Avatar Vicarius

Epic! great mod, One of the best I've played in a long time,hoping to see more Celtic units in time.

Irish Historical adviser for Albion:Total war

Good mod, but after the last patch is totally bugged....

Quote Originally Posted by VINC.XXIII View Post
    There is no "What if units", cases of "creolization" are/will be distilled with parcimony and if historical proofs allows it. Typically, with Massalia, this mod offers a vision more in accordance with M.Clavel-Leveque works(who written about Massalia: "...a greek island among barbarians...". So no celtic hoplites, no greek hoplites with celtic cloaks. I make strong distinctions between very superficial hellenization/romanisation of a local clique of oligarchs/tribal chieftains and what peoples are.
    Again have a rep for that my friend!!

I second to that!!

+rep for that too m8

Thanks, but let's face the shameful truth, so far my attempt of a new gameplay with these Unic AOR buildings is far from being flawless. I explains it: within a same cultural group(either rom_Hellenistic, or rom_Roman, or rom_Barbarian, or even rom_Eastern) its working nicely. To give an example, if I plays as krotonite and conquier Taras the eponym ephebeia will be fully compatible with my culture since its greek all the line, my krotonite faction being greek as their local tarantine ephebeia(the building chain being greek).

Now if as roman I conquier Taras, I may got the unic recruitment and the unic garrisons composed of AOR troops but I won't be able to upgrade the ephebeia like if I played a greek faction(like Kroton, Syracuse, Massalia). So far I've tried a great number of different codings, but once I solved something, another problem appeared. Its endless. Either building_culture_variants_tables may not work as expected, either what I add in building_chain_availabilities_tables conflicts with the game-base.

I've spent lot of time in attempts to polish this feature. Here I explains how this time wouldn't have been spent for nothing:

-CA could create a supplementary cell in building_level_armed_citizenry_junctions_tables, this new cell would add an AOR condition that would be the exact mirror of region_unit_resource_requierement(the cell you uses in main_units_table to restrict the recruitment to a specific area, thats basically what is AOR)

-the alternative would be to create a script that would definitely hijack the tables. Its how things were in MTW2, garrisons were located in campaign_script, and believe me or not, but the nuances between garrisons were infinites, thanks to culture, faction, religion AND location conditions. Scripting on TW:Rome 2 is beyond my skills, its like rocket science for me.

I won't upgrade the mod until I have fixed that mess, its consume the scarce spare modding time I have. Its quite bothering because I've tons of projects for celtic rosters(next planned being first padanian Boii, then rhodanian Volques, and various aquitanian peoples, not mention of all the stuffs I want to add to italic, greek and punic rosters. )

Well, sorry for the rant. Just wanted to explain in fastidious technical terms why its remains a beta and why no update was delivered.

Last edited by VINC.XXIII; January 18, 2016 at 05:51 AM.

VINC why don't you give to the cities their unique barrackses fully upgraded, so no need to be updated when conquered. So every unit will be available from the start. And restrict the unit recruitment from units_to_groupings_military_permissions_tables.
    Because for example, if you play as Taras in the city of Taras you will be able to recruit all units available for Taras faction. But if you are Rome and conquer Taras, you will have the unique building in Taras but you will not be able to recruit every unit Taras faction could recruit. It also make sence because of the different culture. Taras could recruit a unit of logades(best of hoplites) funded by the state, but Rome if conquer Taras, despite having the unique building, because of the different culture(and ofc military culture) should recruit more "generic" Taras units..

Quote Originally Posted by M@x1mus View Post
    VINC why don't you give to the cities their unique barrackses fully upgraded, so no need to be updated when conquered. So every unit will be available from the start. And restrict the unit recruitment from units_to_groupings_military_permissions_tables.
    Because for example, if you play as Taras in the city of Taras you will be able to recruit all units available for Taras faction. But if you are Rome and conquer Taras, you will have the unique building in Taras but you will not be able to recruit every unit Taras faction could recruit. It also make sence because of the different culture. Taras could recruit a unit of logades(best of hoplites) funded by the state, but Rome if conquer Taras, despite having the unique building, because of the different culture(and ofc military culture) should recruit more "generic" Taras units..
    All AOR units are yet available from the start but with various unit caps(which are dynamics by upgrading the building, according the different levels you can recruit more or less troops), intercultural compatibility is still necessary for various reasons.
    Right now as Roman conquiering Taras its possible to recruit the AOR tarantine units, but not to upgrade the building that generates the units itselves. The elites are of course very limited, then same with all upgrades possible, its not possible to recruit 15 heavy massalian hoplites or 15 Dorkim Kdoshim or even 15 units of Argos(the celt nobility). Upgrades of units caps essentially work for low/medium tiers units.

I take notes of it about tarantine Logades.

Anyway I will ask the building guy on TWC

Dontfearme22's Avatar Campidoctor

If you need any help with models or setting up definitions, I can carry some of that load. Help you focus on the AoR and buildings.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast