Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: The Third Samnite War [HATG DLC needed] [v. alpha.003][Patch 17 Only]

Default Re: The Third Samnite War [HATG DLC needed] [v. alpha.001]

Yeah I checked them out just now. Ironically, it was Croton who taken over southern boot of the peninsula.
    Luckily I had relatively good relations with them so they helped me defeat the Samnites early on.

PS: Do you have any tweaks or any easy steps on how to make Carthage playable? I reeaally want to try them out in this period

I will make Carthage playable back in a few days. Their colonial possessions fit to the period though they're not really modded and Iberians are untouched.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Updated #3 with Ligurian Warriors

With Bullgod's based unit cards

Like I said, you can always cooperate with DeI team as they have the perfect skinned units for Carthage and other factions.
    Can't wait! Will be following up this close to my chest

great mod!, just want to ask though, when I recruit hastati, I can only recruit a maximum of 7 units, is their anyway you can increase the limit?

Quote Originally Posted by Reznikov View Post
    great mod!, just want to ask though, when I recruit hastati, I can only recruit a maximum of 7 units, is their anyway you can increase the limit?

You need to upgrade "Direct Rule" building in Roma(that have the vanilla icon of roman military building, ), or build them in other regions when you conquer ones. I will write up a guide about recruitment later, though the effects are actually displayed on the infos of the building.

Romans having their economy which is farming-based, you can increase your number of Hastati/Principes/Triarii/Equites by building towns whose the activity is centered on farming.

Excellent work VINC.XXIII! I must admit that you has transformed the HATG in a very interesting campaign. Can fight with Rome against the Etruscans, Umbrians, Samnites, etc, it's a challenge.
    Last edited by Miguel_80; August 08, 2015 at 04:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by VINC.XXIII View Post
    You need to upgrade "Direct Rule" building in Roma(that have the vanilla icon of roman military building, ), or build them in other regions when you conquer ones. I will write up a guide about recruitment later, though the effects are actually displayed on the infos of the building.

Romans having their economy which is farming-based, you can increase your number of Hastati/Principes/Triarii/Equites by building towns whose the activity is centered on farming.

ahhh I see, and so the samnites are more adapted militaristic, thank you. Also, the roman polybian army were divided by numerals, Legio I, Legio II, or by name where they recruited from, Legio I Germanica, Legio I Italica,. So then how were the samnite army named and divided? I know that the romans got the manipular unit from the samnites but that's all I know.

@Reznikov, I think both were "militaristic" in equal terms, what change between them its their economy, demography and politico-social organization. Samnites had rather an economy based on mountain livestock herds, and at contrary of Romans, Etruscans, Greeks, they didn't evolved in a City-based society. They stayed to a tribal organization of their life, armies...etc

No need to say there will be a lot of modification to better represent the differences I've mentionned.

For now, their differences are reflected by the building they need to have more units: Romans need more grain farms and related infrastructures, Samnites need more livestock infrastructures. Both can have more too units with "Direct Rule" and "Autonomous Government" buildings.

Regarding army naming, I don't think there is any source about how they called their armies in high republican Era. In Third Samnite War time-frame, often the army was divided between the two consuls and reservists were ready in Roma to suffer a siege. So you would end-up with 3 armies, maybe 4 armies. But not 50 ones. Moreover, at that time, Romans were more likely willing to let every confederated people organizing itself according his own military traditions and join the army as they're(own equipements...etc), their role was mainly to protect the flanks and their contingents were called "alae"(wings").
    I've renamed Italic armies, now are called Legio I, II, III...I've erased the ridiculous names like "Serpent of something", "Spear of stuff"

Update 2( open the spoiler)

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    -Playable Carthage with fitting territory at this point of History and Victory Conditions fitting to their contemporary concerns(more centered on Sicilia and preservation of Corsica/Sardinia colonies)
    -new Bullgod and Bullgod-based units cards for most of units
    -Increased garrisons for Lucanian and Iapyge factions
    -added a bunch of units descriptions
    -fixed Sardinian Archers
    -add material from Willhelm123's Etruscan Unit Expansion Pack(see post #2 reworked Alathna Hoplites)
    -Cosmetic changes on Cretan Mercenary Archers( see post #4)
    Last edited by VINC.XXIII; August 11, 2015 at 04:20 AM.

Pure magic VINC! You heeded my advice too

mmm Do we have to download both parts? the one in main OP and the Update 2 ? Please, for future releases just edit the first post.

Quote Originally Posted by Tenerife_Boy View Post
    mmm Do we have to download both parts? the one in main OP and the Update 2 ? Please, for future releases just edit the first post.
    no, there is only one pack to download, you need to re-download the mod. But savegames should be compatibles. What faction have you played?

The links to Update 2 and the one in OP link to the same source. Sorry for the confusion.

looks like the mod i've been waiting for

May i suggest, without playing it yet

(1) Start date be 400 BCE, just before Allia, so Romans start as Hoplites. Then there are military reforms after Allia disaster and manipular legion is adopted.
    (2) Shouldn't Umbria be Sabines ?
    (3) As most military systems of this early period were levies, each city should have large numbers of Called-up citizen troops, maybe done as mercenaries with cheap purchase cost but expensive maintenance ? This is more realistic and guarantees cities don't fall to easily.

And yes, please put it in Steam workshop
    oOo

Rome 2 refugee ...

oOo

(1) would be a brand new campaign and hard to realize without modding borders and a bunch of other things.
    (2) Umbrian State mixed Sabines, Picenes and northern Umbrians properly. Sabine Ensiferi represents Sabines on the battlefied. Sources often says "Umbrians" when talking about Sabines of Nequinum/Narnia(city fallen in 299BC)
    (3) I plan something similar to vanilla HATG Defense Script for every region, with unic local units, finally this will replace most of city garrisons and will better represent how happened things: countryside and villages mobilizing their troops in open country to defend the region rather than gathering in a city.
    (4) I don't succeed to put it on Steam and anyway I prefere to wait a bit before seeing it on Steam.

Next update will for sure feature:

-new character names for Etruscan and Oscan peoples(after a lot of attempts and epic fails, they now works), the game now looks more authentic...I considere its very game breaking to see Etruscans, Capuans, Lucanians, Umbrians and Samnites with latin names... The historical chief of samnites have been added, of course.
    -New "Cursus Honorum" for Etruscan and Oscan, each of them has now a set of 4 historical charges

-In next update, minor settlements will be walled, the campaign has now a slower pace, starting armies have been reduced, which prevent blitzkrieg. The new difficulty with walled minor settlements lead you to choose better your targets. Almost all is now walled out Pyxous(Lucanian settlement) and Pisae. I'm even trying to adapt the autoresolver to render the real difficulty you would encounter on the battlefied.

-Bruttian Confederation have been implemented as new faction and is now present in Thourioi, next to Lucanians, defensive allies to Agathocles. Kroton have been calmed down and new diplomatic settings are now favorable to a war between Kroton and Agathocles(he got Kroton in 299 BC and looted it).

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Carefully looks the general name at left!(note Capua also now has walls, thats why engines are needed to take it...)
    Thats him, with real oscan name! ========}"Gellius Egnatius (died 295 BC) was the leader of the Samnites during the Third Samnite War, which broke out in 298 BC. By the end of the second campaign the Samnites appeared completely defeated, however in the following year Gellius Egnatius marched into Etruria, and roused the Etruscans to a close co-operation against Rome. This had the effect of withdrawing Roman troops from Samnium for a period of time; but the forces of the confederates were defeated by the combined armies of consuls Lucius Volumnius Flamma Violens and Appius Claudius Caecus.In the fourth campaign in 295 BC Egnatius induced the Gauls and the Umbrians to join the confederacy; but due to the withdrawal of the Etruscans and the Umbrians, the Gauls and the Samnites fell back beyond the Apennines, and were met by the Romans near the town of Sentinum. A decisive battle, marked by the heroic devotion of P. Decius Mus, ensured that the Samnites were defeated and their leader Egnatius was slain."

Last edited by VINC.XXIII; August 15, 2015 at 09:07 AM.

Great work Bravo

Watching with strong interest.
    oOo

Rome 2 refugee ...

oOo

Hi, I love this mod because it has Kroton in it. (I'm from Crotone)
    Can you make Kroton faction playable and add Kroton's unit? They were really strong like the spartans, with corinthian helmets, spears and etc..
    If you need, I can provide you historical materials to help you out.
    Thanks a lot!

Quote Originally Posted by giovannikr View Post
    Hi, I love this mod because it has Kroton in it. (I'm from Crotone)
    Can you make Kroton faction playable and add Kroton's unit? They were really strong like the spartans, with corinthian helmets, spears and etc..
    If you need, I can provide you historical materials to help you out.
    Thanks a lot!
    if you have solid historical sources I can do something, for now its very a blank because I've difficulty to find infos on that(I means Kroton in 300's BC). They just have their own heavy hoplites as unic unit. The rest belong to Southern Greeks core units.

Please pm me and I will see.

I'm pleased to announce that I received official permission from one of the best mod(if not the best) that focuses on pre-roman Italy: Paeninsula Italica II for MTW2/Kingdoms, furthermore, their South Greek Unit Roster is being integrated. Here Part I, with heavy hoplites from various greek cities. As side note, unit material is changing in a generic way, new base textures for hoplons, no more decal dirt map everywhere, and vanilla armors re-worked(extensive integration of The Germans Are Coming modding resource)

Credits: Luntic , Paeninsula Italica II, The Germans Are Coming
    Last edited by VINC.XXIII; August 20, 2015 at 01:19 PM.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast