Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Stellaris - New Sci-Fi Grand Strategy by Paradox

BarnicleBill1's Avatar Centenarius

Default Re: Stellaris - New Sci-Fi Grand Strategy by Paradox

I'm excited to buy this game. I have many other paradox grand strategy titles. The only thing that has me questioning my purchase is the sheer dlc storm that comes out after all the user feedback. I actually like paradox dlc. They typically add a lot to the game. However, by purchasing the game now I'm concerned I'll end up stuck in the lurch with dlc as I did in eu4. So possibly I'll wait. Get a package deal on a load of dlc.

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk

I was also originally decided to wait for a more "complete" version, with a few updates and DLCs released before I buy Stellaris. Hence I did not preorder. But in the end I gave in, considering -

1. Even the vanilla games are usually quite enjoyable. CK2 was a great game even at launch.

2. The updates often greatly alter the gameplay experience. I did not want to miss out on how it currently plays.

3. Paradox DLCs & updates gradually upgrade the difficulty / complexity of the vanilla game with more mechanics and elements. This is a good time to familiarize with the base game without getting overwhelmed with too much complexity.

DaVinci's Avatar TW Modder 2005-2016
    Patrician Artifex

The plastic poisoned and d(r)ying surface of planet Earth in before Armageddon

I have pretty much all Paradox grand strategy titles. Well, if one have a title, one wants also the DLC's (me at least). These game series are a total money sink-hole, like no other game titles, imo..

Wild guessing: Perhaps the reason of the high-cost-DLC policy for a compared long time is, that Paradox is a swedish company.
    Everything is expensive there, very high living standards and thus high wages and company-costs in whole (just Scandinavia).

As i'm currently away from such pure strategy games, i'll buy Stellaris first, when it is on relevant Sale-action incl. DLCs, ie. -75 % ... means probably, in a few years

On the other side i don't think, the DLCs are not worth the money. Also, Paradox is a company, which reacts on the community's feedback quite a lot.
    In the end, it's the choice of the player/customer: Buy or buy not, simple as that.
    Last edited by DaVinci; May 18, 2016 at 11:47 PM.
    #Anthropocene #not just Global Warming but Global Disaster, NASA #Deforestation #Plastic Emission #The Blob #Uninhabitable Earth #Savest Place On Earth #AMOC #ICAN #MIT study "Falsehoods Win" #Engineers of Chaos
    #"there can be no doubt about it: the enemy stands on the Right!" 1922, by Joseph Wirth.
    Rightwingers, like in the past the epitome of incompetence, except for evilness where they own the mastership.
    Iirc., already 2013 i spoke of "Renaissance of Fascism", it was accurate.
    #"Humanity is in ‘final exam’ as to whether or not it qualifies for continuance in universe." Buckminster Fuller
    Any chance for this exam? Very low, the established Anthropocentrism destroys the basis of existence.
    #My Modding #The Witcher 3: Lore Friendly Tweaks (LFT)
    #End, A diary of the Third World War (A.-A. Guha, 1983) - now, it started on 24th February 2022.

DAVIDE's Avatar QVID MELIVS ROMA?

Have no idea how to keep an enemy planet. Help

I destroyed the ground defenses, then i sent my psi troops and the planet has been occupied, but it says still belong to the other faction. What now? how do i keep it?

Inviato dal mio GT-I9300 utilizzando Tapatalk

BarnicleBill1's Avatar Centenarius

You have to negotiate in the diplomacy screen. If you've played other paradox games its the same sort of idea.

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk

The Holy Pilgrim's Avatar In Memory of Blackomur
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by DAVIDE View Post
    Have no idea how to keep an enemy planet. Help

I destroyed the ground defenses, then i sent my psi troops and the planet has been occupied, but it says still belong to the other faction. What now? how do i keep it?

Yeah, this got me at first, as well. I'm used to Total War and Civilization where you can just declare war and take what you like.

With Stellaris, however, you have to declare the objective of your war.

There's a mechanic called "WarScore" that tells you exactly how much your war is going to "cost." The more you demand, the more it costs. You can't go above 100 for your WarScore (it's a percentage, really).

So, when fighting another faction, you gain WarScore by winning space battles, occupying planets, destroying defensive stations and space ports, etc.

Once your WarScore percentage matches the cost of your war, you can then safely and reliably demand everything that you set on the table.

For example, say that you wanted to cede System A (15), System B (25), and liberate System C (10). That will give you a WarScore of 50.

Now say that you're fighting your war and you're at 45% WarScore and you think that the war is dragging on too long or some other war pops up. Open the negotiations and you'll see that you have a WarScore of 45. That means you can only reasonably negotiate two of the three options (any combination that costs less than 45). Once you reach or surpass the desired WarScore, then you can negotiate everything that you wanted from the war. For this example, 55% would allow you to gain all of your demands since it's over the cost of your war.

Once negotiations are done, and when they're accepted, you'll then own the planets.

TL;DR. Declare your demands at beginning of war. Reach or pass your WarScore. Demand planets in negotiation.

Problem is i cannot open any negotiations. Tried to enter diplomatic mode but they refuse. Maybe i went to the wrong place.

Other thing i dont understand. I traced a very powerful signal of an unknown alien civilization (not one of yhe factions ptesent in the map) who is about to enter one of the galaxies nearby. A screen first warns me that the signal i encountered may come from their patrols. Few month later a second screen warns me that the bulk of their army will join them later and to be ready for any eventuality. WTF is this

Problem is i cannot open any negotiations. Tried to enter diplomatic mode but they refuse. Maybe i went to the wrong place.

Other thing i dont understand. I traced a very powerful signal of an unknown alien civilization (not one of yhe factions ptesent in the map) who is about to enter one of the galaxies nearby. A screen first warns me that the signal i encountered may come from their patrols. Few month later a second screen warns me that the bulk of their army will join them later and to be ready for any eventuality. WTF is this

There should be a little round flag of whoever you're fighting in the bottom right - that's where you make demands / offers in a war, not through the diplomacy screen.

There are several end game events like the one you mentioned, that will usually require people to band together to defeat.

When i colonise a new planet and i enter surface for building things from scratch, below every empty tile there is a symbol of energy or minerals or food. Means that i have to build the relative structure there and it will give me additional resources?

When i colonise a new planet and i enter surface for building things from scratch, below every empty tile there is a symbol of energy or minerals or food. Means that i have to build the relative structure there and it will give me additional resources?

If you build a building that produces that resource, you will get it as a bonus, yes.

But if you built a farm on a tile that has +1 energy, it will remove that bonus energy forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Nelon View Post
    If you build a building that produces that resource, you will get it as a bonus, yes.

But if you built a farm on a tile that has +1 energy, it will remove that bonus energy forever.
    This rule doesn't apply to the colony capital, that will always retain the bonus resources.

I need to terraform so i need two more terraforming gases to go. But i have only one in my own empire. Can be traded?

The Holy Pilgrim's Avatar In Memory of Blackomur
    Citizen

Might be too late on this, but yeah, that's the Prethoryn Scourge, one of the game's Crisis events. Super fun

As for the other issue, did you click the button in the bottom right corner of the screen? You should see a button that looks like their faction symbol with a percentage below it. Then you click on the "Negotiations" tab, and you should be good to go!

Quote Originally Posted by Nelon View Post

Not forever, when you scrap the building you get the tile bonus back. Same if you replace it with e.g. an energy building that fits the tile bonus
    "Sebaceans once had a god called Djancaz-Bru. Six worlds prayed to her. They built her temples, conquered planets. And yet one day she rose up and destroyed all six worlds. And when the last warrior was dying, he said, 'We gave you everything, why did you destroy us?' And she looked down upon him and she whispered, 'Because I can.' "
    Mangalore Design

I really enjoy the game. Very happy its somewhat in a different setting from EU4, as I grew bored from that. Only points are that currently the focus is to much on military. First time I played as humans I encountered many cool peaceful traders nations, but since both trade (where are all the cool unique resources paradox, alien pets is all!?!) and being peaceful is pointless its kinda sad there is not much diversion. I also find it sad that the technology is so diffecult to understand, I'd prefer to see a tech-tree or maybe colors for the different kinds of strats/playthroughs you could do; now its just to hard to follow for me as casual player. For example; I want to focus on a laser kind of weapon,b ut I end up selecting all weapons and still being tech infiriour.

hellheaven1987's Avatar Comes Domesticorum

Just got this game... I have to say it is quite an... interesting experience.
    Quote Originally Posted by Markas View Post
    Hellheaven, sometimes you remind me of King Canute trying to hold back the tide, except without the winning parable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diocle View Post
    Cameron is midway between Black Rage and .. European Union ..

Commissar Caligula_'s Avatar The Ecstasy of Potatoes

Have you played any other Paradox games? Hows it compare to em?

Adamat's Avatar Invertebrate

Wrong time to get it, 2.0 is kind of a mess. It's kind of like Sid's Civ except in real time and in space. Also plenty of flavor events, and tons of mods available. If you're thinking about getting it though, I'd say wait a month before you do so that they can fix the most glaring issues that the 2.0 release brought with it.
    #JusticeForCookie #JusticeForCal #JusticeForAkar #JusticeForAthelchan

Quote Originally Posted by Caligula View Post
    Have you played any other Paradox games? Hows it compare to em?
    It's simpler/ more straightforward. Def. the most accessible.

It's still a lacking experience after 2 years of updates imo. Recommend it only if you are heavily into modding or a Star Trek fan (the New Horizons mod is damn impressive). Even that donesn't change the fact that Paradox still has to sort it out.

I find with Paradox is after every update mods do not work unless the modder updates his mod along with it. Moreover, there is always issues with any updates. I'll wait a bit before starting any games after an update. It reality of today's gaming.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast