Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Stellaris - New Sci-Fi Grand Strategy by Paradox

gastovski's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Re: Stellaris - New Sci-Fi Grand Strategy by Paradox

Boring as . The game needs serious overhaul mod like Blackice or else. If you have a bit higher points than enemy fleet you win no matter what ship you have, wtf is this .

The Holy Pilgrim's Avatar In Memory of Blackomur
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by gastovski View Post
    Boring as . The game needs serious overhaul mod like Blackice or else. If you have a bit higher points than enemy fleet you win no matter what ship you have, wtf is this .
    Not true. I've had a few battles (not many) where my 7k fleets were taken down by 5k fleets. Admirals, ship balance, and combat systems do matter.

Not true yeah. Got my 9k fleet utterly destroyed by a fleet with 6k. Stop talking nonsense.
    Then, as throngs of his enemies bore down upon him and one of his followers said, "They are making at thee, O King," "Who else, pray," said Antigonus, "should be their mark? But Demetrius will come to my aid." This was his hope to the last, and to the last he kept watching eagerly for his son; then a whole cloud of javelins were let fly at him and he fell.

-Plutarch, life of Demetrius.

Arche Aiakidae-Epeiros EB2 AAR

Yippie, the Scourge arrived! Early?!

I destroyed about 60k worth of ships in my allies' territory to stave them off and now face another 100k. I have about 25k...

Not sure, if buggy as the AI is pretty apathic to the fact that those guys run around and tries to eat them. I also seem to need to start a war with another empire to make my allies join me on my holy crusade.
    "Sebaceans once had a god called Djancaz-Bru. Six worlds prayed to her. They built her temples, conquered planets. And yet one day she rose up and destroyed all six worlds. And when the last warrior was dying, he said, 'We gave you everything, why did you destroy us?' And she looked down upon him and she whispered, 'Because I can.' "
    Mangalore Design

Riverknight's Avatar Last of the Romans

So I heard about this game literally the day it came out so I didn't hype this game up at ALL. What I can say though is that in the small amount of time I've put into the game is that it is a really good game. It is a bit to basic in some of it's functions but with more updates I'm sure it will get to the level it was intended to be. The fallen empire idea was good too, I enjoy the idea of slowly building up an empire to be their equals.

This game made me think about Enders Game and just how good that book is as well.

Musthavename's Avatar Bunneh Ressurection
    Somewhere in the room you're currently in.

Quote Originally Posted by Mangalore View Post
    Yippie, the Scourge arrived! Early?!

I destroyed about 60k worth of ships in my allies' territory to stave them off and now face another 100k. I have about 25k...

Not sure, if buggy as the AI is pretty apathic to the fact that those guys run around and tries to eat them. I also seem to need to start a war with another empire to make my allies join me on my holy crusade.
    Just got the Scourge as well. Conveniently, I have an outpost near their invasion point to fight them and have ~90k, so beating them is pretty easy (year is 2410). Annoying thing though is the event is completley bugged. They 'infest' planets (killing everything there) but there's no way to take them back (as it's apparantly bugged). Will probably halt this playthrough until it's fixed.

Also, find it a bit daft that the main AI nation in the area who lost one planet to them wouldn't give me military access so I could destroy the scourge fleets, because they were 'wary' of me...
    Last edited by Musthavename; May 14, 2016 at 03:57 PM.
    Give a man a fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of the day.
    Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Citizen

The Scourge invaded my game, as well.

Luckily for me and my buddy, they landed right in our regions! Hahaha, talk about crap luck!

We eventually won out. I lost a few colonies (like, two) since they focused much more on me than my friend. It also didn't help that I had a much smaller force than he did (me: 25K, him: 54k), lol

There's a bug with their planets, though. The infestations they spread doesn't go away after nuking their planets to hell, unlike what's supposed to happen with them. Dumb, but we managed to keep 'em at bay for the time being.

Here's to praying that we don't get the Unbidden on us as well, lol

Musthavename's Avatar Bunneh Ressurection
    Somewhere in the room you're currently in.

Quote Originally Posted by The Holy Pilgrim View Post
    Here's to praying that we don't get the Unbidden on us as well, lol
    I'm pretty sure you can only get one crisis per game, so feel free to research sentient AI and jump drives at this point since they should be risk free.
    Give a man a fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of the day.
    Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Sir Adrian's Avatar the Imperishable

Quote Originally Posted by Musthavename View Post
    Just got the Scourge as well. Conveniently, I have an outpost near their invasion point to fight them and have ~90k, so beating them is pretty easy (year is 2410). Annoying thing though is the event is completley bugged. They 'infest' planets (killing everything there) but there's no way to take them back (as it's apparantly bugged). Will probably halt this playthrough until it's fixed.

Also, find it a bit daft that the main AI nation in the area who lost one planet to them wouldn't give me military access so I could destroy the scourge fleets, because they were 'wary' of me...
    Scourge event is bugged and will be fixed in next hotfix or next patch. What you need to do is bombard the planets until they reach zero, the scourge will launch all pops in transports and colony ships leaving a barren planet behind.
    Under the patronage of Pie the Inkster Click here to find a hidden gem on the forum!

Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Musthavename View Post
    I'm pretty sure you can only get one crisis per game, so feel free to research sentient AI and jump drives at this point since they should be risk free.
    Yeah, I think I read that somewhere, but I also heard that there is a chance, albeit a very small one, where you can get multiple crises.

And it's convenient that you're saying that it's safe to research sentient AI. I just started researching that tech

A 3 way war between sentient AI, Scourge and those extradimensional chaps would be quite interesting tbh.
    Under the patronage of Pie the Inkster Click here to find a hidden gem on the forum!

Citizen

Yeah, that would be a hell of a lot of fun!

I feel bad for any sucker caught between all three of them, yikes.

First, I have been looking for a sci fi type game. Since I have grown a liking to other Paradox titles, like Vic II and EUIV, I decided to give it a chance since it seemed fun from the "let's play channels out there.
    I can totally tell that the game will get a a bunch of DLCs that would probably radically alter the way you can play the game.
    My opinion of the game is positive because it is a nice approach to the game. More so, the game is more accessible than other titles. I presume this is because of the target audience may not like the intensive micromanaging of the other titles.
    Just to note... I have played about 1 hour, so i haven't experienced some fo the mid game issues people have mentioned.

They just stated that they expect at least the same number of DLCs as Eu 4, more if people keep buying.

I didn't know that, but its a fresh approah I supposed with a lot of potential. I would imagine in some ways they didn't know how far to go in any direction and will wait to see what comes of it. Between HOI4 and Stellaris my wallet is going be very light.

I love the fact that Stellaris pays a lot of attention to immersion - something that for me is paramount in making a proper sci-fi game, yet something 99% of space games ignore in favour of generic number-based gameplay.

Things like species naming conventions; ethos, traits, government type, policies, edicts etc that compliment each other; self-governing sectors; the epic sci-fi ways of dealing with pre-space civs; visual diversity among the species population... even the aliens; species evolution; unique leaders who grow over time and are actually recruited based your faction species, and so on. I do not know any other 4x devs with the balls and the brains to develop or even conceive of features like these.

This is a truly special game. And it will inevitably overcome its few shortcomings, get even bigger and better with time, as is Paradox's style.

I hope it has redefined the standards of the genre.

DAVIDE's Avatar QVID MELIVS ROMA?

No offence but this game is freaking super boring. Im like 20+ hours into this and i can easily tell the AI is just crap. No one, neither my neighbors who hate me, have no will to attack me unless they are uber stronger than me. Anyway they are just passive. There is nothing to do in the mid-long term apart scanning other systems, researching technologies and building mining ships whatever. Diplomacy is below zero. Worst game i played in last 10 years. About to uninstall it. Extremely disapponted

Inviato dal mio GT-I9300 utilizzando Tapatalk

Caelifer_1991's Avatar Vicarius

Quote Originally Posted by DAVIDE View Post
    No offence but this game is freaking super boring. Im like 20+ hours into this and i can easily tell the AI is just crap. No one, neither my neighbors who hate me, have no will to attack me unless they are uber stronger than me. Anyway they are just passive. There is nothing to do in the mid-long term apart scanning other systems, researching technologies and building mining ships whatever. Diplomacy is below zero. Worst game i played in last 10 years. About to uninstall it. Extremely disapponted

My advice is that you up the difficulty and, most importantly, increase the number of factions for the galaxy size you're on. The more empires there are per system, the more volatile everything becomes.

DAVIDE's Avatar QVID MELIVS ROMA?

Quote Originally Posted by Caelifer_1991 View Post
    My advice is that you up the difficulty and, most importantly, increase the number of factions for the galaxy size you're on. The more empires there are per system, the more volatile everything becomes.
    trust me, i was playing hard difficulty, galaxy was tiny and i put 10 factions in total, all technological superior to me. i ended up staring at the monitor for like 1h long cuz nothing was happening, nothing interesting to do apart some tiny side quests like scan alien forms of life found in a planet system whatever, then i took myself initiative and attacked the first random guys i met to beat the boredom.

And its a pity considering that the beginning of the campaign was alright, lots of things to do. Like i said game disappoints from the middle to the end when your empire has developed already and you have colonies and own galaxies.

I have read the IGN review of the game and i agree with their 6/10 final score.

Last edited by DAVIDE; May 18, 2016 at 04:47 PM.

@ DAVIDE
    Sounds to me like someone didn't read the reviews for the game.

One of the "positives" of the game is the game is beginner friendly. Both the UI and the pace of the game allows people new to Paradox games to get comfortable before the game "starts."
    Basically, you are starting your civilization at the "dawn" of space travel. So, obviously, they will be a lot of exploring. I am new to Paradox games myself. I played one game of EU4 and one game of Victoria 2. I also played some of HOI3, but the game kept crashing on me, so I had to give it up. I am looking forward to HOI4. It looks really good. But anyway, Stellaris is a nice easy game to learn, speaking from a relatively novice perspective. The reviews actually did say that experience Paradox players will find the game slow. A nice DLC would be various start points so that more experience players can choose a more challenging game. In essence a EU4 type game, but with far less familiar factions.

There is one odd inconsistency. The game supposedly starts with the dawn of hyper speed travel of interstellar space, but yet, despite having good technology to do so, my own Solar System has yet to be exploited. This doesn't make too much sense to me. However, it will only slightly speed up the game and I think this done to give new players a little time to practice using the ships. However, I am not sure why you have to "learn" so close to home.

In the end, the game is more of a "great start" than a perfect game. Hearts of Iron 4 is just three weeks away. It looks like a "home-run" for Paradox.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast