Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Stellaris - New Sci-Fi Grand Strategy by Paradox

Default Re: Stellaris - New Sci-Fi Grand Strategy by Paradox

Ya same. Way more hyped to it than to HOI IV.

The W40K mod is going to be badass.
    Then, as throngs of his enemies bore down upon him and one of his followers said, "They are making at thee, O King," "Who else, pray," said Antigonus, "should be their mark? But Demetrius will come to my aid." This was his hope to the last, and to the last he kept watching eagerly for his son; then a whole cloud of javelins were let fly at him and he fell.

-Plutarch, life of Demetrius.

Arche Aiakidae-Epeiros EB2 AAR

Ah, a Paradox game set in space, that brings endless possibilities *cough*endless bull dlc*cough*

Quote Originally Posted by The Despondent Mind View Post
    Ah, a Paradox game set in space, that brings endless possibilities *cough*endless bull dlc*cough*
    Not necesseralily bs dlc, but yeah, we all know a dlc galore is coming. But in the end, I'm sure a great game comes out of this, and I hope it'll already be pretty great from the get go.

I get more excited with every diary released.
    Have you ever seen Dirty Harry Guns and money are best diplomacy
    "At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They are only there to sign the cheques."

Bill Shankly

"Not badly, considering I was seated between Jesus Christ and Napoleon"

David Lloyd George was pleased with his performance at Versailles.

Quote Originally Posted by Ishoss View Post
    I get more excited with every diary released.
    yeah, last one was fantastic. Can't wait to anal probe those primitive Earthlings.

Carach's Avatar Dux Limitis

new dev diary updates on their forum.

One could feasibly make a wh40k/great crusade era mod for this game..

Quote Originally Posted by Carach View Post
    new dev diary updates on their forum.

One could feasibly make a wh40k/great crusade era mod for this game..
    yeah every Monday.

No doubt. Star Trek, wh40k, everything will be possible.

tbh i would love to recreate an Eve Online in RTS. Still think CCP are missing a trick with that.

Gameplay presentation

Visually easily the best PD title yet. UI is really clean and fresh.

So WMD already confirmed as dlc. They also revealed espionage to be added only later though expansions.

Still megahyped. I hope it won't take too long, beta phase started in January.

Only thing I miss is the busy universe of Distant Worlds, with 1000s of civilian ships trading around. Obviously impossible with Stellaris' graphics, but it feels a bit "lifeless" at times
    Last edited by Candy_Licker; March 15, 2016 at 08:59 AM.

Just as EUIV feels a bit lifeless if you're not managing armies at the moment.
    I hope that all your scientists and populations on various planets will give you some attachment to entities and that they will add some "life" into the game.

Really looking forward to it as well... the Race customization was stunning for sure!
    Chronicles of Cimmeria - A Kimmerios Bosporos AAR (EB2)
    The Age of Peace - A TW: Warhammer Empire AAR
    Blood Red Eagle - The Sons of Lodbrok Invasion of Northumbrialand [complete]
    Machines - A Sci-Fi Short Story [complete]

Very excited with this weekend, got a look at Stellaris, Mount and Blade, and Hearts of Iron IV. I know it my sound like a fanboy, but it really does seem as though Paradox is the only major publisher to care about PC gaming and making games that we want aka mod support.

Sir Adrian's Avatar the Imperishable

Usually everything Henrik touches turns to gold so high hopes for this
    Under the patronage of Pie the Inkster Click here to find a hidden gem on the forum!

trade ships like sins of a solar empire would be good. the automated stuff. Just gives things a bit of life. a bit like the old trade routes of Rome Total war where you would see the carts going down the pathways

Ludicus's Avatar Comes Limitis
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Shuu View Post
    Usually everything Henrik touches turns to gold
    Which reminds me, how many day one DLC will there be?
    Il y a quelque chose de pire que d'avoir une âme perverse. C’est d'avoir une âme habituée
    Charles Péguy

Every human society must justify its inequalities: reasons must be found because, without them, the whole political and social edifice is in danger of collapsing”.
    Thomas Piketty

Quote Originally Posted by Ludicus View Post
    Which reminds me, how many day one DLC will there be?
    Well, there was a PLANT phenotype in the stream, which they haven't mentioned before. Fear for the worst...

I don't understand it.... Paradox is not a little niche company anymore that would need to do this shady stuff. They have a very loyal fan base, and the connection to their customers is better than most.... but they better be careful... as long as their games are great they might get away with it.

BarnicleBill1's Avatar Centenarius

I can't wait to spread my xenophobic moss over the galaxy.

Quote Originally Posted by Candy_Licker View Post

I don't understand it.... Paradox is not a little niche company anymore that would need to do this shady stuff. They have a very loyal fan base, and the connection to their customers is better than most.... but they better be careful... as long as their games are great they might get away with it.
    They are still a small distributor (60 million Euros), not a big one and arguably the big ones are even worse with DLC or simply pricing than them. They also spared us from nasty DRM experiments. I don't like the DLC cutting up of the games myself but, well, it's why they keep developing stuff for games like EU4 instead of preparing the next installment.

It's difficult, in the end making games is expensive and they need some income source to choose to keep developing a game beyond their release and just bug fixing. I can't say they ever released a game where core gameplay was relegated to a DLC like e.g. Maxis does every iteration with the Sims so there's that, too. I'm mainly not sure if EU4 is still balanced for vanilla gameplay though.
    "Sebaceans once had a god called Djancaz-Bru. Six worlds prayed to her. They built her temples, conquered planets. And yet one day she rose up and destroyed all six worlds. And when the last warrior was dying, he said, 'We gave you everything, why did you destroy us?' And she looked down upon him and she whispered, 'Because I can.' "
    Mangalore Design

Quote Originally Posted by Mangalore View Post
    They are still a small distributor (60 million Euros), not a big one and arguably the big ones are even worse with DLC or simply pricing than them. They also spared us from nasty DRM experiments. I don't like the DLC cutting up of the games myself but, well, it's why they keep developing stuff for games like EU4 instead of preparing the next installment.

It's difficult, in the end making games is expensive and they need some income source to choose to keep developing a game beyond their release and just bug fixing. I can't say they ever released a game where core gameplay was relegated to a DLC like e.g. Maxis does every iteration with the Sims so there's that, too. I'm mainly not sure if EU4 is still balanced for vanilla gameplay though.
    You know, I also support continued support of their games through expansions. It's totally fine to release regular expansions for 15€, but then everyhting should be included. To sell the corresponding portaits, COA's, songs and even "unit packs" seperately is robbery. And day one dlc is a big slap in the face and inexcusable. Same goes for preorder boni- I understand that companies want to secure their income as early as possible, but then releasing the content in questionable quality (and some recent Paradox dlc's were released like that) makes the usual criticism and s understandable.

People have remarked the double standards of the vocal citics of CA's business practices, while Paradox gets away with it. While I still think Paradox is an infinitely better developer than CA - because they still make good games and haven't lost touch with their core customer base - the accusation isn't entirely wrong.

Sadly, dlc/microtransaction spam is obviously established, the PC industry depends on it. But Paradox has gone really far with this, and I doubt it's needed to the extent they do.
    Last edited by Candy_Licker; March 27, 2016 at 12:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Candy_Licker View Post
    You know, I also support continued support of their games through expansions. It's totally fine to release regular expansions for 15€, but then everyhting should be included. To sell the corresponding portaits, COA's, songs and even "unit packs" seperately is robbery. And day one dlc is a big slap in the face and inexcusable. Same goes for preorder boni- I understand that companies want to secure their income as early as possible, but then releasing the content in questionable quality (and some recent Paradox dlc's were released like that) makes the usual criticism and s understandable.

People have remarked the double standards of the vocal citics of CA's business practices, while Paradox gets away with it. While I still think Paradox is an infinitely better developer than CA - because they still make good games and haven't lost touch with their core customer base - the accusation isn't entirely wrong.

Sadly, dlc/microtransaction spam is obviously established, the PC industry depends on it. But Paradox has gone really far with this, and I doubt it's needed to the extent they do.

I do think you have a bit distorted view on this. The unit packs and voices etc. are non essential art assets that can be worked on parallel to the release cycle of the game program itself. I buy none of them because they don't change the game and are unimportant for grand strategy titles. They are also pretty linear in development cost aka it's number of art assets times man hours for the artists. It's the easiest stuff to come out with and do a risk reward calculation on. And as said for grand strategy they are really unimportant, other than e.g. RPGs when the number of armors/clothing is already slim or if you carve out whole story sections in story driven games (looking at you ME2).

The main expansions thus far are always changing and adding game mechanics. Personally I found CA's idea of releasing DLC campaigns in RTW2 pretty okay. The issue was having a ton of generic units and then selling new ones when the unit differences are essential to give a varied battle feel like it was in NTW. In EU it remains cosmetic.

Sure, they do a ton of those but really the alternative is them actually not doing them because including them into an expansion or the core game would actually just cost money.
    "Sebaceans once had a god called Djancaz-Bru. Six worlds prayed to her. They built her temples, conquered planets. And yet one day she rose up and destroyed all six worlds. And when the last warrior was dying, he said, 'We gave you everything, why did you destroy us?' And she looked down upon him and she whispered, 'Because I can.' "
    Mangalore Design

CA block use of/release dlc factions. Some pretty damn important factions that are central to the games. Things that are quite obviously diced up to rob.

Paradox have never done that. The unit packs etc they release are completely optional and often cheaper than what CA provide.

That and CA have a history of releasing shoddy games. Empire was a pile of wank, rome 2 was practically unplayable on top of the dlc . So they got bad press. Paradox have generally treated their fans very well and thus people are willing to let things go.

Heres 3 hours of play http://www.pcgamer.com/you-cant-play...rs-of-footage/
    Last edited by Carach; March 28, 2016 at 02:04 PM.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast