Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Stellaris - New Sci-Fi Grand Strategy by Paradox

IlluminatiRex's Avatar Are you on the square?
    Citizen

Blog Entries

Default Stellaris - New Sci-Fi Grand Strategy by Paradox

Teaser 1: https://forum.paradox.com/forum/inde...ly-2015.872437
    Teaser 2: https://forum.paradox.com/forum/inde...ly-2015.872646

A new IP from Paradox is being teased, and they stated it will be revealed at Gamescom. Codename is Augustus; possibly Rome related BUT EUIV was codenamed Truman and Runemaster (RIP) was codenamed Nero. We'll have to wait and see; I'll update the thread as more info is released.

7 and 3 have been stated to be important numbers in regards to the game.
    I am the author of the "Weaker Towers" and "Officers Of" series of mods for Total War: Warhammer!
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Holmes
    One of the problems with trying to write about the First World War is that most people have already read Wilfred Owen and Siegfried Sassoon, Pat Barker and Sebastian Faulks before you get to them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackie Fisher
    Can the Army win the war before the Navy loses it?

Default Re: New Paradox IP to be revealed at Gamescom - Code named "Augustus"

If its historical, its either Ancient times (hellenic era up to roman empire) or Cold war.
    Then, as throngs of his enemies bore down upon him and one of his followers said, "They are making at thee, O King," "Who else, pray," said Antigonus, "should be their mark? But Demetrius will come to my aid." This was his hope to the last, and to the last he kept watching eagerly for his son; then a whole cloud of javelins were let fly at him and he fell.

-Plutarch, life of Demetrius.

Arche Aiakidae-Epeiros EB2 AAR

Citizen

Blog Entries

I dunno about Cold War; they already dropped East vs West. I most likely is Ancient times. Though there is always the possibility of Vicky 3. Who knows!
    I am the author of the "Weaker Towers" and "Officers Of" series of mods for Total War: Warhammer!
    One of the problems with trying to write about the First World War is that most people have already read Wilfred Owen and Siegfried Sassoon, Pat Barker and Sebastian Faulks before you get to them.

Its a new IP, they said the first ever since Crusader Kings released a decade ago. And from what i read they said last year that it wasnt a sequel. So it aint Vicky 3. (Vicky 2 is my favorite paradox game but im glad its a new IP, maybe after HOI IV and this project Augustus they can make a Vicky 3).

Fact that they dropped East vs West doesnt nules the possibility of it being a cold war game i think. I mean, perhaps they dropped EvW because they saw how poor it was being made and the poor choices overall, like it being build based on Hearts of Iron 3, which is a terrible game politics wise.

Maybe Paradox could have canceled EvW and then started from the ground up on a new engine made for the game itself, a cold war game, its a possibility. But i'd bet it on being ancient times yeah.
    Last edited by Wulfburk; July 25, 2015 at 10:25 PM.
    Then, as throngs of his enemies bore down upon him and one of his followers said, "They are making at thee, O King," "Who else, pray," said Antigonus, "should be their mark? But Demetrius will come to my aid." This was his hope to the last, and to the last he kept watching eagerly for his son; then a whole cloud of javelins were let fly at him and he fell.

Citizen

Blog Entries

Yeah, well whatever it is hopefully it isn't dropped like Runemaster was.

Well, Paradox usually uses non related codenames for their releases, though I think it still could be Rome, seing it's a new IP and the previous Rome game was actually part of Europa Universalis, so they could be making a new series about the ancient world apart from EU.

"7 and 3 are important numbers"
    I thought about Westeros for a bit, 7 kingdoms and 3 dragons, or 3 faiths. Dunno about Telltale to be honest.

Augustus was the first Emperor, civil war and all. 1873 was the first year of the great panic, a financial crisis that resulted from the American civil war. It's a game about capitalism and railroad building, I'm calling it already!

7 and 3 = G and C. Gaius Caesar or Gaius Caligula.

Someone mentioned it in the forums: the Battle of Gettysburg ended in July 3rd, 1863. I was thinking about this myself.
    Last edited by Yayattasa; July 26, 2015 at 10:16 AM.

If its anything ACW related i'll be really dissapointed, we got Vicky 2 and the ACW already damnit.

In the other teaser Johan said "This will be our first new major IP released since the original Crusader Kings over 10 years ago". Now "Seven and Three are important numbers".

1073:
    - Emperor Shirawaka coronation
    - Wang Anshi in China doing some chancellor stuff
    - The conquest of Anqara by the Seljuk
    Can't make anything out of this hypothesis.
    #####
    VII is 7, as in Victoria 2, and III is, well, 3, like Victoria 3. People weren't actually expection Vic 3 so soon, as HoI4 is around the corner now, and people in the forums are already speculating, but it's not possible because Paradox clearly stated is a new IP, so no Vic 3 for now.

#####
    Teaser #3: "There will be no stabbing of pigs."
    Maybe, a reference to the offer of sacrifice mechanics of EU: Rome. So, they are saying it won't be about pagan Rome. OR it's about Rome, but it's not Europa Universalis. The sacrifice mechanics were attached to the stability thing going on Europa Universalis. No sacrifices = no stability = not EU, but not necessarily forbidding the ancient world.

##
    I'm really wishing this is about the ancient world now, so the converter to CK2 (if they make one) would require CK2 to add some ancient elements, like cultures, religions and, most importantly, government types! Maybe we could have proper republics (they would finally get Novgorod right) and bureaucratic empires in CK2 that way.

##
    Some people mentioned Cold War, but East vs West was cancelled recently. Anyway, the "no stabbing of pigs" makes sense in this context. 7 and 3 also makes sense, as the year 1973, or as a hint to panax notoginseng, the three-seven root, used en masse by the Vietcong.

####
    Teaser #4: "Terrain truly matters in this game."
    So it's a GSG, you don't say Paradox. Unless they meant something like a tactical RPG, which is really unlikely right now, as they said previously they were working only on GSGs some 3 years ago, when supposedly Project Augustus was already going on.

####
    Johan said: "True. For EvW we worked on design, interface & art to help out BL-Logic. It is NOT a cold-war game, as East vs West was supposed to be our cold-war game."

####
    People are getting the "There will be no stabbing of pigs" hint as if it won't be about Rome or the sacrifice system will be removed/altered. Well, there's a third possibility: there will be no stabbing of pigs because pigs were not sacrificed in Christian Rome.
    Could very well indicate a late Empire setting, leading to CK2.

########
    Legio VII Claudia and Legio III Galica were created during the Roman civil war. Unlikely, but maybe related to the Seven and Three hint.

########
    Doomdark (CK and HoI) is the game director.
    Last edited by Yayattasa; July 29, 2015 at 08:57 AM.

ccllnply's Avatar Tribunus

Sorry for my ignorance but what does IP stand for in this context? I'm guessing it's a new game but I'd usually associate it with Internet Protocol and the fact that it's the "first IP since Crusader Kings" is confusing me.

Quote Originally Posted by ccllnply View Post
    Sorry for my ignorance but what does IP stand for in this context? I'm guessing it's a new game but I'd usually associate it with Internet Protocol and the fact that it's the "first IP since Crusader Kings" is confusing me.
    Oh it's Intellectual Property, namely a new major series of games.

Todays's hint (#6):
    "Elections and Technological Development are important parts of the game."
    Intriguing. We know it's not Cold War (Johan said that). Could be about the elections of the Senate and technological disparity in Roman times, but I dunno, could very well be something else. One thing is certain, this is much probably not about China at this point, elections were never a great part of grand Chinese politcs, in any Era.

Quote Originally Posted by IlluminatiRex View Post
    A new IP from Paradox is being teased, and they stated it will be revealed at Gamescom. Codename is Augustus; possibly Rome related BUT EUIV was codenamed Truman and Runemaster (RIP) was codenamed Nero. We'll have to wait and see; I'll update the thread as more info is released.
    Oh please, please let it be ancient times. Since the Rome II debacle I have been praying for a Paradox game to alleviate the pain. I have been longing for that. But somehow I have the feeling it won't be historical.

A game that depicts the complexity of the Roman system which I can crush with my Barbarian hordes.
    Last edited by Candy_Licker; July 30, 2015 at 01:38 PM.

I'm leaning towards modern times by the look of these clues. But just looking at the difference in ideas people are coming up with just shows how little we can get from these clues

Well, from the start there were a few camps fell into:
    - Pre-Rome
    - Republican Rome
    - Imperial Rome/Dark Ages
    - Cold War
    - Futuristic/Space
    - Warring States/Three Kingdoms China
    China is pretty much ruled out, unless it's on the map but is not the focus. Cold War was already denied by Johan. Today's hint really fell like a stone on a Dark Ages setting. So we are now likely down to:
    - Pre-Rome
    - Republican Rome
    - Futuristic/Space

Well if that's the case then I don't fit in to any of those camps

I'm thinking it'll be a game set in current times or in the last 30, or so, years. Although now that I think of it and based on the last two teasers, I think I space version is more likely.

That said, I'd love a Imperial Rome game or something set between 27BC and around 500AD. That would bridge the gap between EU:Rome and many of the CK2 dark ages mods. That way, with modding, you could do a Paradox mega-campaign starting in 400BC and play all the way to at least 2020AD. Even if I didn't play that, the potential for an AAR would be epic.

The more I think of it, I think it might be a (4X) Space Grand Strategy game, since Space games are having a comeback. Apparently they also trademarked the name Stellaris. I just hope it has nothing to do with fantasy/magic.

Teaser 6:

Elections and Technological Development are important parts of the game.

Teaser 7:

This is a project we've always dreamt about doing, something all of PI have been involved in, not just the PDS developers.

They compiled
    some statements about Space games PI made in the past:

We'd love to make a space game. All we need is to fill those empty positions; http://www.paradoxplaza.com/jobs

/shams

Not right now, but when I started I had to start playing EVE to have something to talk about during lunch. EVERYONE played.

I think a grand strategy space game would be very cool, but I doubt we would want to work with existing licenses/franchises like the above. It introduces a lot of special issues and you might not get full freedom in doing what you like.
    Last edited by Candy_Licker; July 31, 2015 at 04:31 AM.

latest tease

Ciciro's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Definitely a modern age or space game.

Newest hint

I have seen things you people wouldnt believe..

was
    identified as a quote from Blade Runner. So all clues point to a futuristic game... Unless you think it's too obvious and that Paradox loves to mislead people.

First reaction was, meh. Then I went into the screenie album

Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast