Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: TATW Hotseat Balance Patch Beta 0.21 RELEASED

Chieftain Khuzaymah's Avatar Domesticus

Default Re: TATW Hotseat Balance Patch Beta 0.21 RELEASED

Quote Originally Posted by JWANT View Post
    Likely changes to be incorporated into 0.3 (I think this update got deleted by the forum reset):

- removal of assassins. No TATW hotseat allows them anyways.
    - all factions will be able to recruit at least one diplomat. This is very important for FFA games and helpful for Good vs Evil since the fighting starts quickly.
    - review of starting positions for all factions. Some factions may be given additional starting units/buildings or have them taken away. Isengard and Eriador will get most of the attention.
    - review of unit stats. Right now I'm fairly happy with how the AR balance has been in 0.21 but more testing is needed.
    - removal of annoying scripts like he Shire Autonomy. No use for these in hotseats since they don't work.
    Some good points there.

Btw, Isengard and Eriador will get most of the attention. Don't forget HE, SE and Dale
    Most Promising Youngblood TATW: Chieftain Khuzaymah

JWANT's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Chieftain Khuzaymah View Post
    Some good points there.

Btw, Isengard and Eriador will get most of the attention. Don't forget HE, SE and Dale
    I am curious to see how HE, SE and Dale play out with the current changes in 0.21. Dale can now recruit much better units from Esgaroth and Dale but they are still in a tough spot on the map. SE can recruit Tier 3/elite units right away in Lorien but are also in a tough spot on the map. HE can recruit elites in Imladris and Mithlond but given how exposed Imladris is, I'm not sure it really helps them. They will still get some attention though!

Eriador was mentioned since they do not have access to their best units early. I did upgrade the size of Annuminas and Fornost Erain to allow them to recruit elites are additional buildings have been built but they are still at a disadvantage. I'm debating how to give that faction a a better start while keeping the Lore-based theme of a rag-tag faction of Northmen, Dunedain and Hobbits fighting together for survival.

Isengard needs attention because their economy and dependency on recruitment from Isengard is a concern. Duneard does offer decent recruitment options but Isengard can only get their elites from the Isengard settlement. Immediate access to elites and additional starting money might give them a better chance against a Rohan faction that starts with a very small army but a relatively much more powerful economy.

Adanedhel's Avatar Campidoctor

I guess it depends on what kind of hotseat is going to be played. If it's good vs evil, then a western dwarves/HE/buffed Eriador coalition seems pretty scary for Gundabad. A FFA is a totally different scenario, though.

Chieftain Khuzaymah's Avatar Domesticus

Adanedhel got a point there too.

As for Isengard, you made playing Isengard harder by reducing unit size and increasing upkeep and recruitment cost. Personally I'm not a big fan of their new upkeep costs, they seem a little high! I don't think Isengard really needs much more than Duneard and Isengard for recruitment, as they offer a good variety of units. Isengard especially offers a large variety of units. Rohan has only got Edoras as a decent recruitment centre, with some help from Hornburg and Aldburg.
    Most Promising Youngblood TATW: Chieftain Khuzaymah

JWANT's Avatar Senator

I am planning on releasing the next version of my hotseat patch around the beginning of August. Here is a rough preview for 0.3:

Units
    - reduced stats (including cost) for elite cavalry units, trolls and Mumakil. Units with high stats are too overpowered regardless of how much they cost. They can simply walk over their opponents!
    - reduction in unit maintenance costs. The amount is to be determined, but it will be at least by half. High upkeep unit costs was supposed to allow factions to quickly replace lost armies and not lose after 1 decisive defeat. Instead, it has mostly reduced the number of units used, strategic options and fun.
    - add diplomat recruiting building to all factions that lack one. It is important that all factions can recruit diplomats for free-for-all games

Factions
    - strengthen Rhun by tweaking roster costs, increasing settlement size of their capital allowing top-tier (elite) units to be recruited, and adding caravan posts to settlements to improve income. Rhun needs this to help them fight against Dale and the Dwarves
    - strengthen Isengard by giving them a top-tier barracks in Isengard and increasing the size of their starting army
    - strengthen Gondor by giving them Henneth Anun and possibly Emyn Arnen and increasing the size of Boromir's army. This will make the fight near the Osgiliaths more interesting than a simple march across between Minas Tirith and Minas Morgul, with the occasional fight around Cair Andros.

Eraidor Overhaul
    - give control of Amon Sul
    - add the necessary buildings for Dunedain rangers to be recruited from Amon Sul.
    - increase settlement size of Bree to enable the settlement to recruit better units. It will retain a wooden wall.
    - Shire settlements will produce hobbit units.
    - remove buildings from Annuminas and Fornost. These settlements were ruined and should not be able to recruit units until the Eriador player rebuilds them. This will also prevent Eriador from easily overpowering their neighbours early in the game.
    Last edited by JWANT; June 20, 2016 at 09:04 AM.

Hello,

First of all, thank you for your amazing work!!
    I don’t know why you haven’t post the 0.3 patch ! I can’t wait to play on it with my friends

z3n's Avatar State of Mind
    Moderator Emeritus

Have you heard of DaC? I would strongly suggest trying it
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forum...de-and-Conquer

Here is a hotseat guide for it
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...-HotSeat-Guide!
    The AI Workshop Creator
    Europa Barbaroum II AI/Game Mechanics Developer
    The Northern Crusades Lead Developer
    Classical Age Total War Retired Lead Developer
    Rome: Total Realism Animation Developer
    RTW Workshop Assistance MTW2 AI Tutorial & Assistance
    Broken Crescent Submod (M2TW)/IB VGR Submod (BI)/Animation (RTW/BI/ALX)/TATW PCP Submod (M2TW)/TATW DaC Submod (M2TW)/DeI Submod (TWR2)/SS6.4 Northern European UI Mod (M2TW)

General Dragon.'s Avatar Champion of Dragons
    Gaming Emeritus

0.3 patch isn't coming because it got discontinued as JWANT left the community and went missing. The balancing was started to continue, but slowly by me and Joerock, which its first implementation as The Third Age Total Recruitment Patch 1.0.
    That one is just a first step in the possibly continuation. Currently waiting on the ongoing hotseats to show the result what needs to be changed for future versions. One thing I can say already that its still listed in the patch's thread, that the Eriador recruitment bug will be no longer an issue as I found the cause of problem. It isn't in the current version, but will be in the next one.

"The Dragon is wise, a sage among the ignorant. He knows not all that glitters is gold."

King Athelstan's Avatar The Wheel Weaves
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by z3n View Post
    Have you heard of DaC? I would strongly suggest trying it
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forum...de-and-Conquer

Here is a hotseat guide for it
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...-HotSeat-Guide!
    The hotseat guide is also posted as a normal thread here, but we haven't started any hotseats on here as the mod is very unbalanced for hotseating, being as single-player orientented as it is. It would require a fair amount of tweaking to be balanced, as a few of us have experienced in a DAC HS played on a discord server
    Proudly under the patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader
    Proud patron of 4zumi, Akar, CommodusIV ,Swaeft
    and Peaman

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12