Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Units you'd like to see/look forward to seeing in the game

HigoChumbo's Avatar Definitely not Jom.
    Citizen

Blog Entries

Default Re: Units/creatures you'd like to see/look forward to seeing in the game

Quote Originally Posted by Scoicarius
    That's in my humble opinion actually a much better take on the Vargheists than the miniatures themselves (which I find to be one of the weakest models in the Vampire roster in terms of design and a perfect example of how some creative freedom can improve the official material vastly). For reference:

Quote Originally Posted by Bobington
    lol

I've never been a big fan of "zombie alternatives" (zombie dwarves, zombie orcs and so on), but this is awesome. It has the potential to become the most hilarious unit in the game.
    Last edited by HigoChumbo; September 14, 2015 at 07:12 AM.

IrishBlood's Avatar GIVE THEM BLIZZARDS!

Default Re: Units/creatures you'd like to see/look forward to seeing in the game

Has to be Dragon Ogres

scoicarius's Avatar Ordinarius

Quote Originally Posted by HigoChumbo View Post
    I've never been a big fan of "zombie alternatives" (zombie dwarves, zombie orcs and so on), but this is awesome. It has the potential to become the most hilarious unit in the game.
    Imagine an entire zombie Night Goblin army led by a zombie Night Goblin Shaman! (I wonder if Squigs can be zombified.)

Quote Originally Posted by HigoChumbo View Post
    That's in my humble opinion actually a much better take on the Vargheists than the miniatures themselves (which I find to be one of the weakest models in the Vampire roster in terms of design and a perfect example of how some creative freedom can improve the official material vastly).
    I totally agree, and that's just one of many examples. As I wrote some time ago on the forum (God knows where), my approach, if I were in their stead, would be to use all existing artworks and versions of the miniatures as reference/inspiration, not just the latest miniatures.

To use just one example, I like the old Har Ganeth Executioner models much more than the latest ones:

Old
    )

New (bleah)

I also like the old design of their swords much more, better visible in this picture:

It's simpler and more elegant than that of the latest models. Speaking of Executioner sword designs, two more designs I like are these:

One with a single hook-like serration at the top, the other with multiple serrations.

Another Executioner sword design I dislike is that from Warhammer Online:

The top portion of the sword has the functionality of the above designs, but it's too bulky and not as aesthetically pleasing. They did get many things right in Warhammer Online, but not the Executioner sword design I think.

That's the process I would use for all units, looking through all existing references before I settle for my own.
    Last edited by scoicarius; September 14, 2015 at 01:37 PM.
    The Art of Warhammer Fantasy <-- link
    A facebook page with Warhammer Fantasy art that I've been collecting over the years as a hobby. Updated regularly. Enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by IrishBlood View Post
    Has to be Dragon Ogres
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Magnificent beasts. A few more for you sir:

Kholek Sun-Eater

Last edited by scoicarius; September 14, 2015 at 01:31 PM.
    A facebook page with Warhammer Fantasy art that I've been collecting over the years as a hobby. Updated regularly. Enjoy.

Bobington's Avatar Ordinarius
    You illuminaterz wont find nuthin bout me!

I have actually seen better Varghulfs and Vargheists made with a good paint job on a tyranid.
    As God wills it.

Tamurkhan the Maggot Lord

In ancient days the great horde of Tamurkhan the Maggot Lord swept out of the Northern wastes despoiling all before it. Great Slaughter they brought to many lands as Tamurkhan sought the Throne of Chaos. Riding to war atop his great Toad Dragon Bubebolos, Tamurkhan dealt ruin and death to all that stood in his way.

Tamurkhan the Maggot Lord, favoured by Nurgle with powers of regeneration, rains blows down onto his foes from high on the back of Bubebolos with the Black Cleaver, a potent magical battleaxe. Buebolos the Toad Dragon is content to stomp and smash its prey, or to lash at them with its prehensile tongue and tear at them with its fearsome jaws. Tamurkhan’s true form is that of a bloated, maggot-like parasite which, in its death throes, can attempt to posses the great hero that slew him.
    I'd love to see historical campaigns where you get to play with great heroes and villains from the past.

Carnival of Chaos

No one knows from whence it came, the dreaded Carnival of Chaos. Some have rumored that it was once a gypsy caravan from the east of the Empire, wandering folk that brought their colorful fare from village to village entertaining the poor rural folk of the Empire with their lavish shows and stage plays. If this past is the truth then what it has become in the present is far more sinister and deadly. Still it wanders the rural backwaters of the Empire, in a colorful cavalcade of wagons, its folk dressed in the colorful finery of traveling players, bringing sonnet and song to excitable villagers and peasants.

Upon reaching a new settlement, these outlandish showmen erect their stage and entertain the poor rural folk with songs and plays of the dark days of the Empire. Tales such as: ‘The Emperor’s True Face’, ‘Orfeo and Pustulate’, ‘Papa Noigul’s Festering Children’ and ‘A Midsummer Nightmare’ wow the enraptured throng.

Strongmen perform feats of incredible prowess to the adoration of the crowd, whilst players in garish, grinning masks juggle balls, knives and flaming brands. As the crowd’s numbers increase, a fool in bright jester’s garb with an inflated pig’s bladder on a stick leaps from one enthralled watcher to the next joking and cackling, poking and prodding.

It is only when the show reaches its blasphemous climax, as the sun begins to set, that the truth of the Carnival of Chaos is revealed in all its putrid, festering glory. For these are no mere wandering thespians and entertainers. When the players perform their final act, known as the ‘Dance of Death’, the enchantments covering their true visages slowly slip away revealing them to their blissfully ignorant audience for they are cavorting, cyclopean daemons with rotting flesh hanging from yellowing bones. What were originally considered intricately decorated masks and cleverly applied make-up is soon revealed as the players’ true horribly mutated faces, covered in pustules and pox-ridden lesions. As the villagers’ expressions turn from those of elation to abject terror at the sight of these horrific visions the slaughter begins. By now most of the folk who made up the cheering audience would have already succumbed to the virulent diseases spread by these malevolent players. The insidious Carnival Master, accompanied by his cackling fool, rounds up those unfortunate women and children that remain alive, taking a finger from each of his new brides, exclaiming “You’re my wife now!”. The survivors are then led away to an unknown fate and the village is left deserted, its inhabitants and livestock killed by innumerable diseases and plague.

The Carnival of Chaos is the sick joke of the Great Lord of Decay, the Chaos god known as Nurgle. Thrice cursed Nurgle is also known as the unspeakable Master of Plague and Pestilence and the players in the Carnival are his corrupt followers and worshippers. They are those who have sold their souls for a twisted form of immortality through embracing death, destruction and decay – learning to love Nurgle’s many and varied gifts. It is not known how many Carnivals of Chaos there are or if the handful of reports from the lips of petrified witnesses all refer to the same warband.

The leader of the Carnival of Chaos is known as the Carnival Master and is reputed to be a sorcerer of great power, wielding the unclean magic of his lord to cause suffering and death through disease and decay. Through dark ritual and sacrifice, the Carnival Master summons forth the cackling, decaying Daemons of his patron god to take part in the twisted masquerade. His mortal followers carefully nurture their newly acquired diseases, blessings of their gregarious deity and vie for power and advancement under his watchful gaze. The most blessed of these twisted, insane creatures are those known as the Tainted Ones. These are often the right-hand ‘men’ of the Carnival Master and their bodies are wracked with a multitude of foul diseases and mutation. The Carnival of Chaos is justly hunted by the many bands of zealous Witch Hunters that traverse the lands but always seems to be just one step ahead of the Sigmarites and continues to follow its merry path, bringing the blessings of Nurgle to all.
    This is from Mordheim: City of the Damned, but I'd love to see something like this in Total War: Warhammer as well, as an event, or maybe a quest, with the Carnival heralding an impending (Nurgle-flavored) Storm of Chaos.

IrishBlood's Avatar GIVE THEM BLIZZARDS!

Quote Originally Posted by scoicarius View Post
    Magnificent beasts. A few more for you sir:

Kholek Sun-Eater

That's a fine collection of beasties! In the time of legends book: The Legend of Sigmar, theres a whole chapter dedicated to Sigmars epic victory over a Dragon Ogre and was hands down one of the coolest fights i'ver ever read

Chaos Knights

I'll be posting a lot more about these because I like them a lot, but for now an extraordinary picture from the Rage of Dark Gods mod:

Chaos Knights of Khorne

Quote Originally Posted by scoicarius View Post
    Carnival of Chaos

This is from Mordheim: City of the Damned, but I'd love to see something like this in Total War: Warhammer as well, as an event, or maybe a quest, with the Carnival heralding an impending (Nurgle-flavored) Storm of Chaos.
    The insidious Carnival Master, accompanied by his cackling fool, rounds up those unfortunate women and children that remain alive, taking a finger from each of his new brides, exclaiming “You’re my wife now!”. The survivors are then led away to an unknown fate and the village is left deserted, its inhabitants and livestock killed by innumerable diseases and plague.

Haha this a reference to a TV show called A League of Gentlemen. Well played Rogue Factor, well played.
    'When people stop believing in God, they don’t believe in nothing — they believe in anything. '

-Emile Cammaerts' book The Laughing Prophets (1937)

Under the patronage of Nihil. So there.

Let's make another wish, this will probably happen, since we've had beasts of war before

Dire Wolf - Vampire Counts

The land of Sylvania is plagued by giant wolves. The men of the Empire hunt these beasts mercilessly, but this is not always enough. The carcasses of these wolves are buried in great pits, but the cursed earth of Sylvania does not allow them to rest...

Quote Originally Posted by englisharcher89 View Post
    Dire Wolf - Vampire Counts
    What a great model, much better than the official ones:

Unfortunately these are the ones they're using as reference.

If they use the official GW ones, not the Forgeworld, w should declare a Sigmarite, Ulric and Dark Crusade at once while also making entries in the Great Book, and summoning the corpses of dead video games to destroy CA and GW, especially if they make Sigmarines canon.
    As God wills it.

I would like to see Long Drong and his Slayer pirates in game, maybe as a sort of mercenary, where if hired, you get Long Drong himself as a hero, his boat, and his Pirates.
    As God wills it.

I love pirates. I'd like to see pirates of all races, Dwarfs, Skaven, Orcs, undead, you name it.

Default Re: Things you'd like to see/look forward to seeing in the game

The Hexensnacht and the Geheimnisnacht

For those who don't know, the Warhammer world has two moons, Mannslieb & Morrslieb. Hopefully both will be visible in the game at night.

There are two nights in the year in which both moons are full at the same time. The first is called Hexensnacht ("Witching Night") and the other one Geheimnisnacht ("Night of Mystery"). To most, these are greatly feared and ill-omened nights of the year, and even the most cynical sceptic will avoid the eerie light cast by the full moons. On the other hand, gatherings and ritual sacrifices are held by the worshippers of Chaos on these nights.
    It would be really nice to have some events and battles in the game that take place during the Hexensnacht and the Geheimnisnacht.

Senator

anything from tamurkhan throne of chaos, and because the game starts at Franz's coronation, I don't think that invasion happened yet. Also lothern sky cutters, flying boats pulled by giant eagles with a bolt thrower mounted on it? Awesome. Chracian lion chariots, jabberwocky, and Dragon ogres.

Quote Originally Posted by Saladin View Post
    jabberwocky
    The Jabberwocky from Alice in Wonderland looked very good:

Quote Originally Posted by Saladin View Post
    lothern sky cutters

Tunneling Mole Rats

I can't wait for them to show us the Vampires. A few more pictures from Dark Omen in the mean time:

I'd love to see unique banners for every single unit, like in Dark Omen.
    Last edited by scoicarius; October 01, 2015 at 08:30 AM.