Thread: A small thank you note to the modders!

Default A small thank you note to the modders!

I simply wanted to thank the team for their work concerning this mod! It is a very good and interesting mood and I can't wait for the campaign! Small question in this context: Do you already have a campaign map model? Would love to see that if possible! keep it up!

Ltd.'s Avatar Senator

Default Re: A small thank you note to the modders!

Thank you for your support, glad you like the mod so far
    Here is one of the versions of the map. It was created by Jan_Boruta. This map is by no means the final version, but I got this on my hand at this very moment as it was sent to me a while ago by Jan, so I´m showing you this version. It all depends on how much we can do of the remaining factions, how detailed we want and can achieve the factions and smaller factions to be represented and so on. This could be further extended or reduced by adding or removing smaller duchies from the faction list. There are also some emergent factions.
    It´s been reduced in file size and quality by the system, but you get the picture.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	medieval attila map clean FACTIONS.jpg 
Views:	171 
Size:	840.2 KB 
ID:	327911
    Last edited by Ltd.; July 22, 2015 at 03:26 AM.

BalrogOfMorgoth's Avatar Decanus

That map looks promising! I realy like the faction icon

That map looks very nice! It's exactly what I needed actually. I'm was going to update the faction list to accommodate the vassal system planned, (See the Earldoms trailer for more info). But I needed a faction map that is also divided by how regions are in Attila. Off hand the only things that aren't represented properly is that most of the English lands in Britain are going to be part of the Earldoms faction and I would like Gascony to be a separate faction, both of which will be vassals to England of course. Otherwise that is pretty spot on to what I want. Also what faction is that to the right of greater Poland? Anyways is there anyway you or Jan can send me a bigger version of that picture?

Quote Originally Posted by warman222 View Post
    Also what faction is that to the right of greater Poland?
    Duchy of Pomerania. It was a part of the Kingdom / Duchy of Poland earlier, but after 1138 AD it became its own sovereign state - nominally under the supervision of the senior duke from Krakow, but its independence increased steadily until 1306/1308, when it was contested by Brandenburg, Poland and the Teutonic Order, with the latter finally annexing it.

Quote Originally Posted by warman222 View Post
    Anyways is there anyway you or Jan can send me a bigger version of that picture?
    I'll get one to you probably tomorrow, although this is the largest size - it'll be in better quality though. I'll also make the amendments you want.

First of all, thank you for the beautiful map! I absolutely love it! Jan could I ask you some things? I'd like to know:
    1. Will Flanders, Lorraine, Burgundy, Arles and Toulouse be client states/vassals of France?
    2. Will Friesland, Saxony, Brandenburg, Bohemia, Austria, Bavaria, Schweiz, Lombardy and Pisa be client states/vassals of the Holy Roman Empire?
    This is a highly accurate map of the time! Congratulations and keep this excellent work up! Can't wait to play the campaign!

Yes to both those questions. Also there's going to be some adjustments in a couple of places but yeah.

Its a really, really awesome map, i like its accuracy, respect ... hope that this medieval 3- masterpiece is nearing completion ^^

But I wonder whether the AI is able to handle this bunch of client states or alliances and I wonder how this will affect the development of the campaigns, it would be a shame if mini conflicts between for example france and lorraine would lead to the breakup of the great nation of france in a couple of turns only because its attacked by all the allied states of the Holy Roman Empire at once
    Furthermore; how could the AI (or human players) expand their territory with great nations if they are surrounded by allied vassals? It could cause a great mess on the campaign map What I want to say; please, have an eye on balancing and aesthetics of the campaign flow then it could be the best mod ever made for attila

I disagree Heisenburg. I like the accuray of the map and the vassal states. Vassals/client states can be a huge boost to your power, but if unhappy, can launch an allround attack on you. Just look at the Seleucid Empire in Rome II or the Sassanid Empire in Attila. If France attacks Lorraine, the Holy Roman Empire and its vassals might join the fight, but so might the vassals of France, too. Furthermore, vassals can also be risky because they might attack a nation and ask you for your help. If you agree, you have one more war to fight, if you disagree you have one vassal less. I also dislike the idea of completely balancing the game around the campaign map. Some kingdoms were indeed more powerful than others, thus, some kingdoms will be more difficult to play than others. In my opinion this is what makes a game enjoyable: Having factions with different starting locations and different difficulties.

Yes, yes, I exactly know what you mean, I am always ready for a nice and difficult campaign too
    But also id love to see a fully expandet france, england or hre in late campaign. Especially for france it would be historically correct. In the past the french kings were able to expand their crown domaine against the duchies of their vassals, the englisch had such developments as well. This lead to the great centralization since the 16./17. century. I ve experienced that the Ai is a little bit to stupid to handle such a bunch of allies and expand their own lands. They follow the vassals blindly in wars. In attila mostly emerged situations in which the sassanid empire (surrounded by vassals) was completly unable to act and stay at its starting position while its vassals were growing and growing even bigger then their masters. They get more and more allies and fought against the poor Eastern RE which was crushed after something arround 40 turnes. After a relatively short time half of the map was filled with this sassanid-vassal-ally-chaos (sassanids itself still didnt have more regions than at the beginning), which was at war with the other half and still growing!
    The Ai tend to this things and to forming huge contracts with 10 or more allies/client states/vassals even without having much vassals at the start and I simply hope that it wont break the campaign feeling.
    I understand that both (historical correct feudal system and nearly balanced campaign flow) is eventually hard to get, but I am sure that Warman and MK-crew could handle this I am a big fan of their ideas too, just throwing in my thoughts to this new system

I get what you mean, but well, I like it this way still. Even if you prefer a unified France, it will be a lot of fun winning back those territories with the talentend Philipp Auguste! One small question to the crew though: I took a look at the Iberian pnninsula and realized that Leon is already unified with Castille, which actually only happened in 1230. You have introduced Navarre and Aragon, so why not introduce the Kingdom of Léon? They could possess only one region and you could add the event "Unification of Léon and Castille" whenever a player takes the regions of Castille and Léon with one of these two factions

Quote Originally Posted by Ltd. View Post
    Here is one of the versions of the map. It was created by Jan_Boruta. This map is by no means the final version, but I got this on my hand at this very moment as it was sent to me a while ago by Jan, so I´m showing you this version. It all depends on how much we can do of the remaining factions, how detailed we want and can achieve the factions and smaller factions to be represented and so on. This could be further extended or reduced by adding or removing smaller duchies from the faction list. There are also some emergent factions.
    It´s been reduced in file size and quality by the system, but you get the picture.

Is Friesland a playable faction? It would be amazing to play as the faction that is starting in what now is my country.

Hey, I know you made a custom battle release for Rome 2, but are you still working on creating assets such as armors and weapons etc? I have gone over the files for the Rome 2 version of the mod, and I noticed that the models are only rigged to have 3 texture layers: diffuse, normal, and specular. I saw some of the screenshots for the Attila version on moddb and it looks like you already added them, but if not, I would recommend rigging the models to use gloss maps as well. They are easy to make and they make metallic surfaces look SOOOOO much nicer. Anyways sorry for the lecture, but I thought I might share the idea. If you guys could use an extra hand at anything unit related let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by robtim92 View Post
    Hey, I know you made a custom battle release for Rome 2, but are you still working on creating assets such as armors and weapons etc? I have gone over the files for the Rome 2 version of the mod, and I noticed that the models are only rigged to have 3 texture layers: diffuse, normal, and specular. I saw some of the screenshots for the Attila version on moddb and it looks like you already added them, but if not, I would recommend rigging the models to use gloss maps as well. They are easy to make and they make metallic surfaces look SOOOOO much nicer. Anyways sorry for the lecture, but I thought I might share the idea. If you guys could use an extra hand at anything unit related let me know.
    Here this is what I mean. These are just some M&B warband helmets I ported over and reskinned. But, I used ahiga's method of using a dark diffuse layer and a bright specular map, and then added a gloss map which makes all the difference. It gives it that nice shine that the vanilla TW Attila helmets have.

So, I just borrowed some assets from the R2 custom battle release to whip up a quick unit to show you what I was talking about. Anyways, sorry to pester you guys, but your mod has had me very intrigued from the first custom battle release. If you need any help reskinning some of the Rome 2 models, I'd love to lend a hand.

Ltd.'s Avatar Senator

Yes, we are still creating stuff like armour and weapons, for the Attila version.
    However, I don´t know what you mean by not seeing gloss_map in the R2 files. I know I created gloss_map for every piece of asset created, and I´m pretty sure warman did so , too
    It may not be as accentuated as the gloss map on your screenshots, though I have to say I find the Attila level of shining / combination of gloss and specular maps a bit too much. In Attila metal looks like mirror, which is in my opinion a bit of an overkill. But I know what you mean, as it is true that the proper level of shininess can be a game changer.
    Now, the level of glossiness is obviously a matter of taste and may be changed anytime if deemed necessary.
    Either way, thanks for your input, opinions are always welcome

Yes, we are still creating stuff like armour and weapons, for the Attila version.
    However, I don´t know what you mean by not seeing gloss_map in the R2 files. I know I created gloss_map for every piece of asset created, and I´m pretty sure warman did so , too
    It may not be as accentuated as the gloss map on your screenshots, though I have to say I find the Attila level of shining / combination of gloss and specular maps a bit too much. In Attila metal looks like mirror, which is in my opinion a bit of an overkill. But I know what you mean, as it is true that the proper level of shininess can be a game changer.
    Now, the level of glossiness is obviously a matter of taste and may be changed anytime if deemed necessary.
    Either way, thanks for your input, opinions are always welcome
    Thanks for the quick response. I think the level of glossiness you guys got on the one screenshot of the guys with the bascinets on Moddb is just the right amount. If everything ends up meeting that level of detail, I will be impessed. Good luck to you guys, I am highly anticipating this mod!

Love it

Cannot wait. Love the icons as well. A quick note from some things I'm familiar with; Sicily should use the pre HRE Norman banner instead, the blue shield with diagonal white and red checkered stripe.

And when you get around to it, "Athens" and "Sparta" can be client kingdoms of the Latin Empire

Actually now that I refresh my memory, by 1212 Sicily was in the hands of the HRE dynasty