Page 1 of 14 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: ANNOUNCEMENT: The Autumn Release (and an appeal)

Default ANNOUNCEMENT: The Autumn Release (and an appeal)

Greetings fans of Europa Barbarorum!

If you've been following the Twitter/Facebook feeds, or indeed have been involved in the pre-release testing of the iterations of version 2.03, you'll know we've been planning a major new release of Europa Barbarorum II for the summer. In the spirit of full disclosure, our target was the 23rd August, marking the first anniversary of the last major release, 2.01. We had an internal change freeze set for the end of this month so that we could focus on final testing and building an installer to ensure a seamless experience.

However, upon review of the progress on unit creation, we don't feel that an August release would reflect well upon the balance of focus between factions. Most of the new units that are ready belong to just one roster, and it would be unfair to the remaining factions not to be updated until the next major release. Furthermore, we are still extremely constrained on modelling resources and there is only so much that our small number of modellers can do.

With that in mind, we are postponing the release to the autumn, most likely the end of September.

I know this will be a disappointment to many people, but we thought it better to make it public sooner, rather than later. We feel openness is better than simply overshooting the deadline and keeping silent. This will give us another four or five weeks to trial some more gameplay features, but more importantly build the new units that everyone is looking forward to. We'd appreciate people's patience in this regard, bear with us and you will see the mod you're hoping for.

Which brings me onto the second part of this announcement. What would be really helpful is if we had more 3D modellers, especially those with experience of M2TW modding, to help with assembly of new units. We have a pretty extensive collection of the parts needed to build many of our planned units, but not enough people who can put them all together in order to make them real. I know this isn't a glamorous task, and many modellers prefer to make their own meshes, textures and so on from scratch, but this isn't necessary to reach our unit goal. We need people willing to do the legwork of stitching together existing parts under direction from our historians as to what is required. Every unit has a concept thread with photos, illustrations, quotations from text and a breakdown of what is needed, and what current units have valid parts. If we got just five people willing to commit to assembling 10 units each, for example, that would make a big dent in the outstanding units. And yes, we have that many units ready to be assembled!

If you are an experienced M2TW modeller, or know someone who is and could lend a hand, please get in touch with us via our recruitment thread, or PM me or anubis88 directly. That doesn’t mean to say we’re not still interested in enthusiastic people without modding experience who want to learn how; just that for the autumn release it will go much smoother with people who already know what they're doing.

As ever, thank you for your support and remember to read more history.

- The Europa Barbarorum II Team

Default Re: ANNOUNCEMENT: The Autumn Release (and an appeal)

I'm sadly a dick in modelling, though I have tried many times.
    Are you going to keep small updates (k, l, ...) ?

Quote Originally Posted by bisthebis View Post
    I'm sadly a dick in modelling, though I have tried many times.
    Are you going to keep small updates (k, l, ...) ?
    As long as there are new features to test, or bugs to fix, I'll keep the small updates coming. The more of it we do now, the better the eventual quality of the autumn release.

I should mention there are some pretty big gameplay things still to test. Baktria now has some missions, and we're discussing the possibility of giving other factions some (Pontos has been mentioned) so that they get to share the love.

I'm afraid I have no skills of use for the team, but I lend my support and thanks for what is already a pioneering mod. In my opinion, delaying could work out even better as testing and polishing mechanics are just as, if not, more important than other considerations.

Dissapointing, but as stated better to say it in advance. I'm sure the release will be high quality and worth the wait, however.

No chance of adding in some of the units in the mini-updates?

August would have been nice, but hey... end of August / end of September. Now that's really no big issue, at least to me. If it also gives you more time, to work on other areas of the mod, all the better. In the long term, that one month really is no big deal.

Auxor's Avatar Libertus

Good luck to you guys, it's been a long road but there's no harm in delaying it a bit longer.
    And when he reaches the gates of Heaven, to Saint Peter he will tell, "Just one more soldier reporting for duty, i've served my time in hell"

Quote Originally Posted by Kravixon01 View Post
    No chance of adding in some of the units in the mini-updates?
    I'm afraid not.

There was a good reason I ruled out new units with all the gameplay patches. It would significantly increase the size of the updates, and more importantly add a lot more complexity to them. Alin has been updating and changing animations and all sorts of other things, which are not as simple to update as installing some stuff over the old files. We'd need an installer, which is not a simple thing to build, I'd rather leave that for the proper release.

Focusing on gameplay changes means you can actually test the new features.

Perfectly understood. Like I said, I'm sure the finished product is going to be worth it. I just recently started playing and so far I've been very impressed with the units I've encountered in game.

This is unfortunate news, but entirely understandable. I wish I had modding experience to help!

Keep up the good work!

Technically speaking, the autumn equinox is September 23rd this year anyway... and the first day of fall! So if release is delayed until "end" of Sept, you're only off by a week from a summer release!

I wish I could help with the modding. Keep up the excellent work!

Sad to hear. Good luck!

September is great, specially since you are giving weekly updates on the current version to the public (and actually almost daily updates for 2 weeks in a row or so).

30 New units on the next patch is more than enough, and with all those gameplay features and etc. But may i ask since the 30 units number was planned for the summer release, will we get a few more than 30 in september or is the delay is to finish some of the remaining 30 units?
    Then, as throngs of his enemies bore down upon him and one of his followers said, "They are making at thee, O King," "Who else, pray," said Antigonus, "should be their mark? But Demetrius will come to my aid." This was his hope to the last, and to the last he kept watching eagerly for his son; then a whole cloud of javelins were let fly at him and he fell.

-Plutarch, life of Demetrius.

Arche Aiakidae-Epeiros EB2 AAR

Quote Originally Posted by Wulfburk View Post
    September is great, specially since you are giving weekly updates on the current version to the public (and actually almost daily updates for 2 weeks in a row or so).

30 New units on the next patch is more than enough, and with all those gameplay features and etc. But may i ask since the 30 units number was planned for the summer release, will we get a few more than 30 in september or is the delay is to finish some of the remaining 30 units?
    Depending on the level of additional support we get (and I've already had one offer), we may either reach that planned 30, or do many more. Its really contingent on getting extra help, we have over 50 units ready to be assembled if we had the people to assemble them.

paradamed's Avatar Praepositus

I think the waith will be worth it for sure!

you need to post the announcement on the front page of thr forum.

Quote Originally Posted by QuintusSertorius View Post
    Depending on the level of additional support we get (and I've already had one offer), we may either reach that planned 30, or do many more. Its really contingent on getting extra help, we have over 50 units ready to be assembled if we had the people to assemble them.
    Is it just a matter of assembly?
    FREE THE NIPPLE!!!

I'm curious, in order to complete the tasks required, what exactly needs to be done? What tools/software are required? Are there any kind of tutorials anywhere that could get someone started on gaining the skills required to be able to help out? I only ask because I have some limited experience modding games, and if I could pointed in the right direction of where to find material to learn I might be able to help in some way.

Quote Originally Posted by Slaytaninc View Post
    Is it just a matter of assembly?
    Yes, we have a pretty large library of parts, attributes, textures and so on from 2.01 alone, we just need people able to use 3DS Max, with the patience to put them together.

Quote Originally Posted by Daelric View Post
    I'm curious, in order to complete the tasks required, what exactly needs to be done? What tools/software are required? Are there any kind of tutorials anywhere that could get someone started on gaining the skills required to be able to help out? I only ask because I have some limited experience modding games, and if I could pointed in the right direction of where to find material to learn I might be able to help in some way.
    The full list of tools we use:

- 3DSTUDIO MAX 2009/2010 - this one is very important because our MESH editor (look below) is meant to work with 3DSMAX

- johnwhile's 3DSTUDIO MAX UTILITIES - this is a must have because it makes sure that we keep a general uniformization of procedures, used to import/export .mesh models(used by M2TW)

- KnightErrant's GOAT 1.1 - this one is necessary if you use Milkshape, used to convert .mesh models(used by M2TW) to .ms3d

- zarathos's M2TW Modeler's Toolbox, is a newer tool which replaces KnightErrant's GOAT and provides more utility functions

- wilddog's IWTE, used for settlement/vegetation models and other utility functions

For assembly, it's only 3DS Max you need, since we have textures and all the other things already.

Modelling:
    - Basics of 3ds max
    - Skin modifier
    - Skin modifier 2
    - Milkshape/tools tutorial for units

Lots more tutorials can be found here.

Alin might expand/correct anything I've just posted here.

Its a shame but I hope its for the best. I expect to be able to download it when Im in france to enjoy it and keep testing

We will either find a way, or make one.

Page 1 of 14 1234567891011 ... LastLast