Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Converting castles to cities

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Call me Ishmael

Default Converting castles to cities

Hi everyone. I recently brought this up in Leo's 4.8 Alternative Patch sub-mod, but apparently this is an aspect shared by every other TATW sub-mod, including the main mod itself. When playing vanilla TATW, I played a campaign as Gondor, so the issue of upgrading castles was never a concern. Again, I played a Gondor campaign with Leo's sub-mod and once more this was never an issue I put much thought into. However, I am now playing his sub-mod as the High Elves, which I immediately noticed cannot upgrade castles! This kind of stinks, because it could be the year TA 3390 and the Elves could conquer nearly the whole map and upgrade every single town/city settlements to large cities, yet they would still be saddled with castle settlements that were conquered when they were still wooden castles or worse, moat and ing bailey! Ew, disgusting, that's gross and primitive! There's plenty of fortresses and regular castles about, but there's just as many wooden castles, it seems, and sometimes other factions are notorious for failing to upgrade their own castles even when they can.

So, given this dismal fate, I would like to inquire as to how I can mod the game so that the Elven factions can upgrade castles, or at the very least convert them to town/city settlements. Is this impossible given the coding of the game? Am I just wasting my time here?

EDIT: ATTENTION! For anyone who's reading this thread, converting and upgrading castle settlements work for the Elves! You just have to follow the instructions below in regards to editing the "export_descr_buildings.txt" file in your TATW mod data folder.

Default Re: Converting castles to cities

If I remember correctly( I dont have the file in front of me at the moment) you can upgrade castles and cities by editing the file export_descr_buildings with notepad or notepad ++ and remove the text and hidden_resource_ big_city from each entry for city walls and castles (the entry comes after the factions required). That way you should be able to upgrade cities and castles.
    To convert cities to castles and vice versa you edit the same file (export_descr_buildings) but its a little more complex
    find the line- building convert to castle and add in the faction you want to have the ability between the empty brackets for each entry

e.g change- wooden_castle_to_village castle requires factions { }
    to- wooden_castle_to_village castle requires factions { egypt }
    If I remember correctly egypt is the high elves, do it for each building you want to be able to convert (ie castle to city or fortress to large city)

I have written this from memory so sorry if there are any mistakes but as a precaution back up you original file before editing

Best of luck and happy modding
    Goth

Awesome! Thanks for the instructions and advice! I'll let you know if they work.

SUCCESS!

However, there's a few things I need to correct in your post above. In your example below:

e.g change- wooden_castle_to_village castle requires factions { }
    to- wooden_castle_to_village castle requires factions { egypt }
    ...you absolutely have to have a comma after the word "egypt," (i.e. the High Elves faction) in order for it to work. It should look like this: "wooden_castle_to_village castle requires factions { egypt, }" and of course have a blank space between the comma and the bracket. I checked the game and voila, I was able to convert the wooden castle I had in my possession to a town!

As for upgrading castle settlements instead of converting them, I didn't have to remove the text "hidden_resource big_city" at all! I didn't even touch that. All I did was add "egypt," to the list of cultures/factions in each core_castle_building category. For instance: "castle castle requires factions { gondor, northern_european, middle_eastern, southern_european, egypt, } and hidden_resource custom_settlement."

^ The word "egypt," with the comma did not exist in that list before; it was my recent insertion.

So voila! It worked! I used console cheat codes to add_money and then add_population to the wooden castle settlement called "Argond" (in East Cardolan province), did the proceess_cq cheat to immediately upgrade it to a castle (and later, a fortress), removed the garrison of soldiers from the castle and allowed it to revolt against me. Then I took a general with an army and besieged the fortress to check on how it would actually look (since the campaign map settlement scared me at first, being basically an elven large town without the wall around it, I thought the game might crash to desktop). Lo and behold! When the battle map loaded, it was the regular Medieval II Southern European fortress (not the custom Gondor or Arnor fortress in Leo's mod). However, I immediately noticed a few differences. The stones of all the walls looked much whiter and whitewashed compared to original vanilla Medieval II stone walls and some things were noticeably different, like farmhouses and windmills missing outside the walls yet there was a windmill inside the walls along with a little fountain that never existed in the original Medieval II version. This must be the TATW custom settlement, or perhaps Leo's custom settlement for the Dale faction, then? I'm not quite sure, but nevertheless it looks just fine.

I'm so happy! I'm playing as the High Elves, and I can finally upgrade castle settlements! Cheers.

You should also add the Mongols so Silvian Elves can upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by Roma_Victrix View Post
    Awesome! Thanks for the instructions and advice! I'll let you know if they work.
    Was this question regarding Leo's submod? Or vanilla TATW 3.2? I've played countless HE and SE campaigns in vanilla TATW, and can't remember now were they able to upgrade castles.. Most of castles I've had were conquered as already fully upgraded later in the game.
    American, French, Israeli and British government's ILLEGAL aggression against the Syrian people, without any proof for chemical attacks in Douma, and without waiting for OPCW to conduct their investigation..
    Sons of *******, leave that poor, war torn country in peace.
    If you are a citizen of one of these countries, then DO NOT ask any help from me on these forums, since, in protest against this aggression by your governments, I do not provide assistance/help anymore.
    Let Syria be finally in peace.

A video of false chemical attack in Douma, Syria, which led to Western illegal attacks.

Quote Originally Posted by ElvenKind View Post
    Was this question regarding Leo's submod? Or vanilla TATW 3.2? I've played countless HE and SE campaigns in vanilla TATW, and can't remember now were they able to upgrade castles.. Most of castles I've had were conquered as already fully upgraded later in the game.
    I'm playing Leo's submod, although he has claimed (via a PM response to me) that the issue of the Elven factions not being able to upgrade castle settlements was an inherited feature from vanilla TATW. For anyone who's interested in giving the Elves a fair shake and better ability to defend their provinces, I would advise they follow the instructions above.

Quote Originally Posted by Steward Denethor II View Post
    You should also add the Mongols so Silvian Elves can upgrade.
    That's a good point! Or maybe, just maybe, I'll leave them at a disadvantage and deny them upgrading ability for when I eventually get around to conquering them.

You're right, though, this should be applied to all the Elves, Silvan Elves included.

Thanks for the info R_V.

Does anyone know why the TATW Creators haven't included Elves in a list of factions capable of upgrading castles?
    American, French, Israeli and British government's ILLEGAL aggression against the Syrian people, without any proof for chemical attacks in Douma, and without waiting for OPCW to conduct their investigation..
    If you are a citizen of one of these countries, then DO NOT ask any help from me on these forums, since, in protest against this aggression by your governments, I do not provide assistance/help anymore.

A video of false chemical attack in Douma, Syria, which led to Western illegal attacks.

Quote Originally Posted by ElvenKind View Post
    Thanks for the info R_V.

Does anyone know why the TATW Creators haven't included Elves in a list of factions capable of upgrading castles?
    I would assume it has something to do with the idea that the Elves are more graceful, peaceful, more tied to nature? That kind of thing? Perhaps LOTR lore and evidence from Tolkien's novels show that the Elves never built such structures (only towns and cities like Rivendell), only men did? Well, men plus Orcs and Dwarves built castles (or did the Dwarves only build mines and cavernous dwellings?). Or perhaps it's because their units are so powerful that defensive castles were considered overkill in terms of giving the Elves an advantage over other factions? Surely there's some sort of practical reason why they were excluded, but I found it more annoying than anything else once I started playing with them.

It's not that way in vanilla TATW, but Leo's submod changed that and many submods followed suit. I personally dislike the change and don't think it really makes sense but it's easy to fix.

Ngugi's Avatar TATW & Albion Local Mod

It's not that way in vanilla TATW, but Leo's submod changed that and many submods followed suit.
    This.
    It is argued from lore reasons, but that do not actually hold for scrutiny, I say. Thranduil's halls was a fortress built in the Third Age, and in ingame logic HE can still muster armies so this limitation make little sense to me.

I personally dislike the change and don't think it really makes sense but it's easy to fix.
    Yup, adding the Elven factions to the castle wall(s) in export_description_buildings.txt and you should be game

Kingdom of Lindon preview video out

DCI: Last Alliance
    - WIP Second Age mod | DCI: Tôl Acharn - mighty Dúnedain Counter Invasions |
    Additional Mercenary Minimod - more mercs; for TATW and DCI | Family Tree minimods - lore improvements | Remade Event Pictures - enhance cultures trough images |
    Favorite TATW compilation: Withwnars Submod Collection
    Patron of Mank, Kiliç Alì, FireFreak111, MIKEGOLF & Arachir Galudirithon, Earl of Memory

Well done Roma_Victrix, glad you got it working, I have done the above for every mod I play with TATW (Mos, Dac etc), sorry for my errors though as I wasnt at home and didnt have the files to work with.
    Thanks for the rep
    Goth

Withwnar's Avatar Script To The Waist

Be careful of converting cities -> castles and vice versa: if it is a custom settlement then I think you'll break it. e.g. Minas Tirith will turn into one of the Osgiliaths (?) on the battle map. It would change the campaign map model as well, I expect.

EDIT: hmm, probably not one of the Osgiliaths but anyway: some other model.
    Last edited by Withwnar; July 22, 2015 at 03:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Goth View Post
    Well done Roma_Victrix, glad you got it working, I have done the above for every mod I play with TATW (Mos, Dac etc), sorry for my errors though as I wasnt at home and didnt have the files to work with.
    Thanks for the rep
    Goth
    Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by Withwnar View Post
    Be careful of converting cities -> castles and vice versa: if it is a custom settlement then I think you'll break it. e.g. Minas Tirith will turn into one of the Osgiliaths (?) on the battle map. It would change the campaign map model as well, I expect.

EDIT: hmm, probably not one of the Osgiliaths but anyway: some other model.
    Agreed! Someone could easily make that mistake. For that matter, I won't be converting any castle settlements to cities now that I have easily solved the issue of upgrading castles.

It's not that way in vanilla TATW, but Leo's submod changed that and many submods followed suit. I personally dislike the change and don't think it really makes sense but it's easy to fix.
    OK, so in vanilla TATW 3.2 Elves are still able to upgrade their castles ? I've never bothered with that cause in all my Elven campaigns when I would capture some fortress/citadel, it would've already been upgraded to the highest possible level ( due to my initial turtling style ). I haven't been able to test this or check ingame due to RL stuff, but soon will. Gotta take Dain's Halls first before those silly Dwarves do.

This thread is amazing and I can finally keep my HE war machine rolling.

riuk881's Avatar Semisalis

i'm playing the DaC submod. will adding egypt and mongols allow the galadhrim to build stone castles?
    Last edited by riuk881; July 28, 2015 at 12:21 PM. Reason: spelling
    It's not a question of where it grips it. It's a simple questions of weight ratios; a five ounce bird could not carry a one pound coconut.

Quote Originally Posted by riuk881 View Post
    i'm playing the DaC submod. will adding egypt and mongols allow the galadhrim to build stone castles?
    I've never played that submod. You definitely need to check first if those are the names factions related to the factions you want to change in the export_descr_buildings.txt file found in the data folder. One way to find this out is to open export_descr_units.txt and try to figure out the names allotted to each faction by inspecting the "ownership" of each unit in the game. For instance, in this extract below from that text file for Leo's alternative patch submod for TATW, we can see that the faction who owns the "Axemen of Lossarnach" is called "Sicily," and since we already know that this unit is exclusively held by Gondor, it becomes obvious that "Sicily" is Gondor.

Quote Originally Posted by export_descr_unit.txt
    type Axemen of Lossarnach
    dictionary Axemen_of_Lossarnach ; Axemen of Lossarnach
    category infantry
    class heavy
    voice_type Heavy
    banner faction main_infantry
    banner holy crusade
    soldier Varangian_Guard, 60, 0, 1
    officer gondor_captain_early_flag
    officer gondor_captain_early_flag
    mount_effect horse +1, camel +1, elephant -4
    attributes sea_faring, hide_forest, hardy, can_withdraw, free_upkeep_unit
    formation 1.2, 1.2, 2.4, 2.4, 4, square
    stat_health 1, 3
    stat_pri 8, 6, no, 0, 0, melee, melee_blade, slashing, axe, 50, 1
    stat_pri_attr ap
    stat_sec 0, 0, no, 0, 0, no, melee_simple, blunt, none, 0, 1
    stat_sec_attr no
    stat_pri_armour 6, 4, 0, metal
    stat_sec_armour 0, 0, flesh
    stat_heat 2
    stat_ground 0, -1, 0, -2
    stat_mental 13, normal, trained
    stat_charge_dist 15
    stat_fire_delay 0
    stat_food 60, 300
    stat_cost 1, 470, 200, 75, 75, 470, 3, 150
    armour_ug_levels 1, 2
    armour_ug_models lossarnach, lossarnach_ug1
    ownership sicily
    era 0 sicily
    era 1 sicily
    era 2 sicily
    recruit_priority_offset 5
    Check the same text file in your DaC submod and find out which faction represents the Galadhrim. It could very well be the same names, but you shouldn't take chances with something like that. You should know what you're doing before you do it.

So, for some reason Hollin Gate seems to be unable to be upgraded, even though the fix successfully allows me to upgrade castles willy-nilly.

Withwnar's Avatar Script To The Waist

Quote Originally Posted by Roma_Victrix View Post
    One way to find this out is to open export_descr_units.txt and try to figure out the names allotted to each faction
    expanded.txt has the mappings of game names to internal names.

{SICILY}Gondor

Gondor = sicily.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast