Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Warhammer Trailer is finally here!

Default Re: The Warhammer Trailer is finally here!

Quote Originally Posted by NostalgiaFan View Post
    Right because a game that has suicidal flying goblins is not comical already.
    Yeah but they're meant to be funny, whereas german accents would be unintentionally funny. We have Orcs already.

If you think it can't then you're really in denial and just defending CA's laziness for the shake of defending it.
    Haha. No. I just don't agree with you. Grand speeches just sound better in RP. Sorry. Maybe the rank and file have german accents we just don't know, so I dunno what you're basing this all on. Dark omen and Sothr had an english accent for Morgan Bernhardt for the same reason.

'Follow me, and ve vill banish zis darkness!!'

no.
    'When people stop believing in God, they don’t believe in nothing — they believe in anything. '

-Emile Cammaerts' book The Laughing Prophets (1937)

Under the patronage of Nihil. So there.

Quote Originally Posted by LinusLinothorax View Post
    Ah, and i wasnt very impressed by the walking animations of the orcs either.
    I feel like, because they decided to mo-cap the Orcs they didn't end up as hunched over and front heavy resulting in a bit of an uncanny walk cycle.

Comparison with Dawn of War Orks.

paradamed's Avatar Praepositus

I miss more variety, Banners, drummers, bigger armies. I hope there is still time for implementing those!

They have that speech that are only releasing 4 factions because they are really developing each faction but it did not give that impression.
    Last edited by paradamed; July 17, 2015 at 03:22 PM.

A few comments back someone mentioned the greatswords to be cool loking.
    Sorry, I must be blind, can you point me to the moment(s) in the vid when they appear? I only see helbadiers :S

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Markas View Post
    Yeah but they're meant to be funny, whereas german accents would be unintentionally funny. We have Orcs already.

Haha. No. I just don't agree with you. Grand speeches just sound better in RP. Sorry. Maybe the rank and file have german accents we just don't know, so I dunno what you're basing this all on. Dark omen and Sothr had an english accent for Morgan Bernhardt for the same reason.

no.
    The empire should be just as funny as Orcs, just in different ways.

Quote Originally Posted by GatoVolador View Post
    Sorry, I must be blind, can you point me to the moment(s) in the vid when they appear? I only see helbadiers :S

Cheers
    I think they appear behind the volley guns if I remember correctly. And when Deathclaw comes flying in, to the right a couple are brawling with Orcs.

You get a better view on them on the screenshots IMHO.

I'm super unhappy with 'em : (

orc lord on wyvern
    Yop. Wyvern and Griffon are top notch.

Personally not a fan of Demigryphs but CA did an excellent job on them.

Quote Originally Posted by GatoVolador View Post

Cheers
    Around 1:48, behind Helblaster Volley Gun. I'm not sure if you're referring to my post but to avoid confusion: I meant better looking than Halberdiers (more tabletop like) not ​necessarily cool looking.

Quote Originally Posted by McFlight View Post
    Around 1:48, behind Helblaster Volley Gun. I'm not sure if you're referring to my post but to avoid confusion: I meant better looking than Halberdiers (more tabletop like) not ​necessarily cool looking.
    Thanks[emoji5]

LordInvictus's Avatar Semisalis
    In California in the USA on Earth in the Solar System in the Milky Way

Quote Originally Posted by paradamed View Post
    I miss more variety, Banners, drummers, bigger armies. I hope there is still time for implementing those!
    Banners/standard bearers will probably make an appearance since they were pretty common in Rome 2 as an attachment to most units. Bigger armies has been somewhat confirmed as each unit will have more soldiers in it.

Modestus's Avatar Protector Domesticus
    On a ship in the middle of the Mediterranean.

Clearly the austerity measures introduced by the grand wizard of the economy have not worked and times are tough for the Empire, Karl looked well enough but he really should have made a few cutbacks on his wardrobe so that all his poor soldiers could at least have a helmet.

Not familiar with Warhammer but is the Empire’s army supposed to look like a bunch of bums ?

Evan MF's Avatar Vicarius

A majority of that trailer was not gameplay that we will likely ever experience in this game, it was just engine showcasing. I see examples of what they've done since forever with these trailers and that is cherry-pick motion capture moments and add loads of enhancing sounds, music and camera shake and deliberately cutting off when the animations might get awkward or deliberately angling the shot so as to obscure peripheral animations in the background that might not look as crisp.

The very few seconds of battle gameplay we actually saw and will experience ( the aerial shots) don't look anything special or any different to other warscape Total Wars. If you look closely at these zoomed out shots you can see the animations in the battle lines don't look particularly dynamic as one would be led to believe from the close-up shots. Based on what we've seen so far there's no reason for me to expect any different from a Rome 2 or Attila in terms of gameplay experience and that does not engender confidence. I will still reserve a lot of judgement for future previews, although only truly until I've seen a let's player try the game in an unfettered environment, because we know even these prolonged battle play through by CA can come across nothing like the final experience in the final product (Siege of Carthage).

A tip for some people getting way to emotionally excited from this, I recommend you watching the trailer without any sound, I find it helps the level objectivity when judging these things.
    Last edited by Evan MF; July 17, 2015 at 05:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LordInvictus View Post
    Banners/standard bearers will probably make an appearance since they were pretty common in Rome 2 as an attachment to most units. Bigger armies has been somewhat confirmed as each unit will have more soldiers in it.
    Thing is standard bearers in RII were not much extra work because they'd simply use spear animations. The standards themselves are just poles with some static ornamentation on top. No animation work required. Just some static assets.

Now in Warhammer on the other hand...

In warhammer they would have to create new animations for both the standard AND the standard bearers; and not for one skeleton ( human ) but for about five different ones; for both on foot and on "horse" back.

The situation is not really compareable with Rome II.

Now, should they be in anyway? Yes. They play an important part in Warhammer, especially with the presence of Army Battle Standard Bearers; hero level characters that carry, often magical, banners that represent the whole army.
    The Bretonnians for example MUST have an army battle standard bearer. Its part of their core rules. You can't deploy an army without one.

Like standard bearers, musicians should be present aswell. Though I dont ask of CA to actually create animations for all the different kind of drummers and horn blowers in warhammer. I'd be happy allready if we simply got a single guy per unit carrying a trumpet in his offhand, or having a drum buckled on.

Sanguinary Guardian's Avatar Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by Modestus View Post
    Clearly the austerity measures introduced by the grand wizard of the economy have not worked and times are tough for the Empire, Karl looked well enough but he really should have made a few cutbacks on his wardrobe so that all his poor soldiers could at least have a helmet.

Not familiar with Warhammer but is the Empire’s army supposed to look like a bunch of bums ?
    Yep, they are supposed to look like that. These are State Troops, outfitted by the state they belong to. Southern Imperial provinces for example are richer than those of the North and can provide better quality armour and weapons to their soldiers. The plastic models for the State Troops contain miniatures without shoes. Helmetless figures have always been a staple in both Warhammer Fantasy Battles and in Warhammer 40K, so having some helmetless guys is nice little nod, as long as they don't overdo it. The State Troops should definitely be more varied in appearance, but I think that there will be armour upgrades so that may be fixed. I want banners though, lots of them! The Empire has awesome banners!
    Last edited by Sanguinary Guardian; July 17, 2015 at 07:23 PM.

H ΕΛΛΑΔΑ κι ο ΕΛΛΗΝΙΣΜΟΣ είναι αξίες ιερότερες από οποιαδήποτε ειρήνη!

Despite all we have lost so far, our fire still burns...

LordInvictus's Avatar Semisalis
    In California in the USA on Earth in the Solar System in the Milky Way

Quote Originally Posted by Orkfaeller View Post
    Thing is standard bearers in RII were not much extra work because they'd simply use spear animations. The standards themselves are just poles with some static ornamentation on top. No animation work required. Just some static assets.

In warhammer they would have to create new animations for both the standard AND the standard bearers; and not for one skeleton ( human ) but for about five different ones; for both on foot and on "horse" back.

The situation is not really compareable with Rome II.
    I only used Rome 2 as an example of how standard bearers have already been implemented before as many people acted as if it would be something new. Rome 2 is not a very good example in retrospect since iirc, standard bearers didn't even have combat animations. Perhaps, Shogun 2 where they would carry a banner in one hand and fight with a sword in the other. The animations shouldn't be a major obstacle since CA has already created the skeletons needed.

Yeah but they're meant to be funny
    Just like tons of things in Warhammer including Magic lazers which you can find in the Empire.

whereas german accents would be unintentionally funny.
    Bull, you can defiantly have people speaking an accent without it being unintentionally funny, only an ignorant person would think such drivel. This same excuse was used for having crap like Rome 2 giving the Romans extremely British accents because it would be taken more seriously but they sounded just as laughable if not downright annoying.

We have Orcs already.
    >implying Orcs are the only race in Warhammer to act silly
    You are just as likely to find silly crap in the Empire as you are in the Orcs.

Haha. No. I just don't agree with you.
    And your disagreement means nothing based on how little you know.

Grand speeches just sound better in RP. Sorry.
    No sense in saying sorry when you proved nothing. I have seen plenty of shows that have characters with an accent and they sure as hell are not just "funny".

Maybe the rank and file have german accents we just don't know, so I dunno what you're basing this all on.
    The Emperor of the entire damn empire is speaking in perfect English to his army, what do you need to know any more?

Dark omen and Sothr had an english accent for Morgan Bernhardt for the same reason.
    And here where you show your lack of information, Morgan is not an solider of the Empire, he is a MERCENARY. He is never stated to be apart of the Empire or to have grown up in it so him speaking English is easily explained as him living in a different area before becoming a mercenary for hire. As well as missing the fact that characters who were noted to be apart or from the Empire did indeed have German accents in the game Dark Oman. They even had the king(or maybe a lord) of Brettionia speak with a FRENCH accent! so really all it comes down to is CA taking the easy way out instead of hiring good voice actors or giving time for their voice actors to speak with an accent while doing a good job( which IS possible in case your wondering).

no.
    More like yes, I would rather have my troops speak like that while having my knights clad in heavy plate armor charge into a horde of orcs and undead while on goddamn demigryphs then saying so in some boring ass British accent that I have heard over and over to the point of sickness in every other fantasy series. The Empire being a Renaissance Germany fantasy faction are what attracted me to them and what made them more interesting then dull copied England clone 13246 so making them sound like that takes away a lot from their charm. And you can defiantly have a voice actor capable of doing what you heard in the trailer while having a German accent and still get an epic feeling from it. Then again it seems you find that to be some kind of impossibility while having no reason to believe so anyway.

Would have preferred english accents on the elves and german ones for the Empire.
    I mean, you'd expect the Bretonnians to sound french aswell.
    They could have borrowed some of relics VAs; they are pretty good with both serious and campy.

https://youtu.be/UZH6cI0jaE0?t=50s

Guess I have to play it in german for the authentic experience. :T
    Last edited by Orkfaeller; July 17, 2015 at 08:04 PM.

Would have preferred english accents on the elves and german ones for the Empire.
    I mean, you'd expect the Bretonnians to sound french aswell.
    They could have borrowed some of relics VAs; they are pretty good with both serious and campy.
    Yeah I would like for the choices to be campy or silly for the lower ranks and crazy wizards and serious and badass for the higher ranks like the nobles and Royalty .
    Would be my idea for that faction as I liked it in Rome 1 how the weaker units would sound younger and weaker and the stronger units would sound older and stronger.

Guess I have to play it in german for the authentic experience. :T
    Unless the German dub turns out to be poor if I have heard anything from others who have listened to the different language versions of previous total war games.
    Or another to take into account is how the other factions will be German meaning you would still not get the accurate picture

Unless the German dub turns out to be poor if I have heard anything from others who have listened to the different language versions of previous total war games.
    Or another to take into account is how the other factions will be German meaning you would still not get the accurate picture
    Well, they are obviously all diplomats speaking Reikspiel so that I can understand them.
    _

Dunno, I started a Medieval II campaign as the holy roman Empire yesterday in german; I'm enjoying myself.

Quote Originally Posted by HigoChumbo View Post
    Nop you are not the only one. I'm not convinced either. The only thing I find remarkable are the animations. The rest is overall quite dull. I don't like at all how they have done orcs (only unit I feel is poorly animated). I don't think they capture the feeling of Warhammer in several different ways (the atmosphere, how units feel, the textures, etc). It's weird because then some other units, like the orc lord on wyvern, are absolutely spot on (seroiusly that wyvern is just gorgeous, it almost looks like it's imported from a different game). I've never been a fan of demigryphs and I have to say that the animations look amazing though (and by the way, couched lances held properly here). Not a sign of all the gorgeous Warhammer panoply either (not even a single banner).

The map makes everything look really outdated. And in general, I still maintain that the game looks like a reskinned Total War a lot more than like a Warhammer game, which was one of my biggest (if not the biggest) fear even since before the game was announced.

In any case I really appreciate that CA is being more transparent this time around, calling stuff by its name and clearly specifying what and what isn't in the video. And I do imagine things will get a little bit better as we approach release.
    Quote Originally Posted by McFlight View Post
    It looks very underwhelming. Rank and file troops look especially bad. Really bland, low res, not a lot of details. Orcs look sightly better than State Troops (hate Estalian helms) but lack of banners, champions and musicans is apparent and kinda dishearthening since they're very important in TT.

Cons:
    - Overall underwhelming feeling
    - State Troops
    - Lack of banners, champions and musicans
    - Orc running animation looks slightly awkward (maybe I need to see it from another angle)

Pros:
    - Karl Franz and Deathclaw look great
    - Warboss on a wyvern looks awesome
    - Steam Tank
    - Big guys (Trolls, Giants) have nice animations
    - Greatswords seem to be recreated properly
    - Demigryphs. I like Demigryphs.

I hope gameplay will be more satisfying. I've high hopes for this game especially after Age of Sigmar.
    I feel like, because they decided to mo-cap the Orcs they didn't end up as hunched over and front heavy resulting in a bit of an uncanny walk cycle.

Comparison with Dawn of War Orks.
    THANK YOU ! I don't why the way they move/run annoys me so much, it just looks kinda silly/clunky, i know orcs are supposed to have a bit more move,swing or what you want to call it, as you can see in alot of other games like dawn of war and warhammer: spacemarine, but here it just looked...well yeah silly. I think that is the best word i can use to describe it with.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast