Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: The Warhammer Trailer is finally here!

Default Re: The Warhammer Trailer is finally here!

Does the Empire speak German in Warhammer Lore? I know they are based on the HRE, but does it state anywhere in Warhammer Lore what language they speak.
    To me, I'd like it if they used guttural German accents for the Empire. Dreading those Orc bovver boyz accents. (Those cockney goblin accents in LotR really grated.)
    Last edited by von stoker; July 20, 2015 at 01:35 AM.

♘Top Hat Zebra's Avatar Praepositus
    That place you go to when the world becomes too much? I'm in the world. I'm why it's too much.

Im not an expert on Warhammer lore, but from what I can understand, those sorts of details aren't really thought out much.

What language do Orcs speak? Silly, Cockney English. Why? 'Cause lol I dunno.
    "Rajadharma! The Duty of Kings. Know you: Kingship is a Trust. The King is the most exalted and conscientious servant of the people."

HigoChumbo's Avatar Definitely not Jom.
    Citizen

Blog Entries

Well, the details are indeed not really thought out, but so isn't the lore and you see a lot of people swearing by it.

Imperials do indeed speak german, apparently:

Reikspiel is the language of the Empire of Man and is very similar in pronunciation and writing to modern German. Reikspiel is commonly spoken by merchants across the Old World regardless of their state of origin, due to the dominance of Marienburg - a former Imperial city - in the trade and commerce of the Old World.
    http://warhammeronline.wikia.com/wiki/Language

I honestly don't care so much about the "proper" representation of the lore as I care about them achieving a good atmosphere, and it so happens that to me The Empire is the embodiment of all my idealizations about late medieval Germany, so hearing german would add to my immersion at least. I think a decent workaround that would have everyone happy is to have the voice-overs (advisors, warnings and other stuff related to gameplay) in english with maybe a slight, natural german accent, and then having the troops shout their nonsense in german (you know, like when you zoom in and hear them speaking, or when you order them to attack, etc). I'm sure that even the most casual of players would associate "Angriff!" to "Charge!" after he had heard it a handful of times after right-clicking on enemy units. Not a tooltip or an english voiceover needed (by the way, just remembered how in Age of Empires 2 every faction issued voice commands in their own language and no one seemed to have a problem with that. All but the contrary, it added flavour.

If not:

Last edited by HigoChumbo; July 20, 2015 at 03:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ♘Top Hat Zebra View Post
    What language do Orcs speak? Silly, Cockney English. Why? 'Cause lol I dunno.
    Orcs speak orcish.
    That what we hear / read most of the time is simply a translation of it.

Most of the warhammer games I've played the empire characters had English accents, so I'm not surprised. Can you imagine if they brought back the VA's who voiced the HRE characters in M2TW?

korsakoff's Avatar Tiro

Quote Originally Posted by von stoker View Post
    Does the Empire speak German in Warhammer Lore? I know they are based on the HRE, but does it state anywhere in Warhammer Lore what language they speak.
    To me, I'd like it if they used guttural German accents for the Empire. Dreading those Orc bovver boyz accents. (Those cockney goblin accents in LotR really grated.)
    humans in the Warhammer universe from Fantasy to 40k all have English accents and from all my years of playing i have never heard them have a German accent. I presume this is because the game is made in the UK
    Last edited by korsakoff; July 20, 2015 at 09:19 AM.

♘Top Hat Zebra's Avatar Praepositus
    That place you go to when the world becomes too much? I'm in the world. I'm why it's too much.

Quote Originally Posted by Orkfaeller View Post
    Orcs speak orcish.
    That what we hear / read most of the time is simply a translation of it.
    One of their primary units is called "Orc Boyz."

That's not a translation, it's just silly.
    "Rajadharma! The Duty of Kings. Know you: Kingship is a Trust. The King is the most exalted and conscientious servant of the people."

Quote Originally Posted by ♘Top Hat Zebra View Post
    One of their primary units is called "Orc Boyz."

That's not a translation, it's just silly.
    I fail to see your argument here.

Yes, boy is the term used by Orcs for warrior... so?

WAAAAAAAAAAAGH!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345