Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [RELEASED] Masters of the Renaissance: custom portraits and generals

Default [RELEASED] Masters of the Renaissance: custom portraits and generals

Greetings fellow knights of mouse and keyboard! Allow me to present my graphic submod for the excellent Italian Wars!
    Renaissance is one of my favorite times in history and I was very delighted to find this wonderful mod, so big thanks of course to the creators of it!

This little submod changes all the portraits- from vanilla to paintings done by the old masters. Almost every character at the start of the game gets a custom portrait, most of them are authentic images of the historic figures.
    It also changes portraits for all the generals and family members. Artists range from early to high Renaissance and in some cases of the later periods.
    Northern European culture- paintings by masters of Northern Renaissance.
    Southern European culture- paintings by Italian masters.
    Middle-Eastern culture- mostly portraits of various sultans by different artists.
    Eastern European culture- due to the lack of portraits from the time period, I had to improvise. Different artists from old to modern, from Hungary as well as other countries.
    A couple of funny surprises mixed in... cultural and religious icons too,.. if you're lucky enough to find them.

Downloads:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3S...ew?usp=sharing
    (Updated version for 5.0 by superfatwombat)

Previous Version:
    http://www.mediafire.com/download/92...ffq41s5/IW.rar

Examples:

Instructions:
    Drop the folders in- Medieval Total War Kingdoms/mods/Italian_Wars/data/ui - and merge them.
    Drop the file descr_strat in- Medieval Total War Kingdoms/mods/Italian_Wars/data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign - overwrite the existing one.
    Drop the file descr_cultures in- Medieval Total War Kingdoms/mods/Italian_Wars/data - overwrite the existing one.

Also go to- Medieval Total War Kingdoms/mods/Italian_Wars folder and open in notepad DIK cfg file, add these lines to it:
    [io]
    file_first = true
    disable_file_cache = true

That's about it I think, should work fine, hope you'll enjoy it.

PS:
    My PS skills are very basic, so anyone willing to improve on my humble efforts- please do so.
    Last edited by Aneirin; August 21, 2016 at 06:22 AM. Reason: Updated download

Aneirin's Avatar of flowing verse

Default Re: Masters of the Renaissance: custom portraits and generals submod.

Those portraits are awesome!
    Thank's for sharing the files
    Proud son of Aikanár and brother of Iskar

Beautiful work, unloading definitely tomorrow, a touch of class never hurts.

Mausolos of Caria's Avatar Royal Satrap

Nice idea, keep it up!
    "Pompeius, after having finished the war against Mithridates, when he went to call at the house of Poseidonios, the famous teacher of philosophy, forbade the lictor to knock at the door, as was the usual custom, and he, to whom both the eastern and the western world had yielded submission, ordered the fasces to be lowered before the door of science."

Pliny the Elder, Naturalis Historia, 7, 112

It seems once I add them I cant start a campaign. It just goes to the main menu with a backbutton that takes me to campaign selection. Any ideas if I did something wrong?

On which version have you installed it?
    5.0, 4.1 or 4.0?

Quote Originally Posted by Aneirin View Post
    On which version have you installed it?
    5.0, 4.1 or 4.0?
    I realized that this submod was made for the 4.0 version, so I took the liberty of updating the mod to 5.0 beta and added a few new generals for new factions.
    The link is here https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3S...ew?usp=sharing

Just install the above mod like usual and overwrite the custom_portraits file and descr_strat with these new ones and the mod works.

Nice job, mate!
    I have already updated the link in the first post.
    Would you mind making some screenshots and adding them, so people have a certain impression what it is about?

Sure! (All of the portraits in this are the work of user Pshtalhqius, besides a few which I will list below)
    Screenshots:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    HRE Generals listClick image for larger version. 

Name:	HREgenerallist.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	236.1 KB 
ID:	338646

French Family treeClick image for larger version. 

Name:	Francefamilytree.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	210.0 KB 
ID:	338647

General list for Papal StatesClick image for larger version. 

Name:	papalstateslist.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	220.3 KB 
ID:	338648

List for FlorenceClick image for larger version. 

Name:	Florencelist.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	229.9 KB 
ID:	338649

General d'Este Click image for larger version. 

Name:	este.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	270.8 KB 
ID:	338650

d'Este family tree Click image for larger version. 

Name:	destefamily.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	198.3 KB 
ID:	338651

HRE family treeClick image for larger version. 

Name:	HREfamilytree.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	207.2 KB 
ID:	338652

Generals added by me include (Ercole, Alfonso, and Giulio dEste. Francesco and Rodolfo Gonzaga. Agostino Adorno, Agostino Chigi, Virgino Orsini, Pandolfo Petrucci, wilhelm von Bavaria, and Giovanni Bentivoglio.)

Nicely done!
    Thank's a lot!

Mausolos of Caria's Avatar Royal Satrap

Maybe there is a possibility to incorporate this into the main game?
    "Pompeius, after having finished the war against Mithridates, when he went to call at the house of Poseidonios, the famous teacher of philosophy, forbade the lictor to knock at the door, as was the usual custom, and he, to whom both the eastern and the western world had yielded submission, ordered the fasces to be lowered before the door of science."

Pliny the Elder, Naturalis Historia, 7, 112

This idea come to my mind, too.
    Would be a nice addition, that's for sure.
    I'll shoot him a pm.

Napoleon1805's Avatar Laetus

Does anyone have the link for the 4.0 or 4.1 version of this? I wanted to install 4.1 given that it is supposed to be the most playable version of this mod so far. Once the 5.0 is out of beta stage and is released in full, I'll update to that.

I am afraid it is..
    Maybe some else have still the old version

These portrait files are outstanding. I hope they are not lost.

Thank you! They are not, here's a new link for the old version - http://www.mediafire.com/download/921u86ujffq41s5/IW.rar

Ah, thank you Pshalhqius. Just to clarify: this is for TIW 4.0 without the 4.1 patch, correct?

I think patch was out when I did this, but it was a while back and I cant say it for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Pshtalhqius View Post
    Thank you! They are not, here's a new link for the old version - http://www.mediafire.com/download/921u86ujffq41s5/IW.rar
    I took the liberty and added the link to your first post
    Many thank's for sharing the "older" version!

Dowloaded the "older version" and applied it to my install of TIW 4.1. Works splendidly! So great to see authentic period faces in my game. Thanks for your addition to this already fantastic mod!
    Last edited by Cyprian2; August 24, 2016 at 07:01 PM. Reason: Added screenshot

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast