Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: [UPD 28 SEP 2020] Preview: Campaign Map

Default Re: [16/07/2015] Preview: Campaign Map

A very interesting approach. If you really can block out areas of the map entirely, why not block out the British isles and Italy as well? These are the most distinctly European areas now, and with them remove you've got a dead ringer for ME.
    Currently following these promising mods - Imperia Antiquitatis by Splenyi
    Traits, Talents, and Toadies
    by Hellbent
    Real Roman Reforms
    by Aodh Mor
    Unit Icons project
    by Bullgod
    Also recommended:
    City Sack, Liberation and Diplomatic Options
    by Dresden

Mr.Jox's Avatar WHY SO SERIOUS?!

Quote Originally Posted by redxavier View Post
    A very interesting approach. If you really can block out areas of the map entirely, why not block out the British isles and Italy as well? These are the most distinctly European areas now, and with them remove you've got a dead ringer for ME.
    Because we loose of lot of territories and then we will have some kind of non-lore faction size. Gondor and Mordor already are too small and Dale is too big. If we move Lindon and Ered Luin to France and Germany then Arnor will be very very small. We planned to make an option to restore Arnor Kingdom and in future unite Arnor and Gondor.

Don't get discouraged guys. As soon as I saw the map I got a large goofy grin on my face. Med2 LOTR got me into TW. The mod you are making here is reason enough to keep playing.

Alkar's Avatar Decanus

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.J View Post

I believe all of you already aware that we are unable to have Middle Earth map for Attila.
    It didn't stop us and we started a lot of discussions and decided to bake Middle-Earth map on Europe map.
    Please, don't panic. We will change Europe map as much as possible and I would say it will be 50% ME map and 50% EU map.
    Only shapes of the map will be equal to the Europe map but not the heightmap and it's visual looking. We plan to create such famous ME tiles as Misty Mountains (and of course all other mountain lines), Mirkwood, Rammas Echor, Gates of Argonath and other.

Members working on the campaign map:
    - uanime5, Mr.J

Preview

FACTIONS MAP
    Just wondering, what is that purple faction that has part of Britain?

Of the Lore of Middle-earth: Click Here and Here

Alkar's Avatar Decanus

Yeah it's understandable and such comments were supposed to appear at some point. Same will happen to sound modding as we are unable to edit music in Attila as well.
    Only these two major problems. But we are still would love to recruit programmers. They can save whole Attila community and make this game legendary like Medieval 2.
    You can ask how the hell some programmers can do this? Easily. Yes campaign map and music(soundtracks and voices and AO music etc) are hardcoded. But everything what is coded can be decoded. It needs a lot of time to decode, much more time for testing and some while to create a tool. All in all I'd say it may take 3-6 months for expirienced programmers to make tool which converts Attila map into images. Images can be edited -> map can be edited. Map structure is exactly the same as it was in Medieval 2 - a bunch of images and some codding (easily editable). The difference is map images are coded into binary files. Expirirenced programmers can read these binary files, encode them and make tools.
    So there you go. Wanna support the mod - find programmers who will agree to create converter. I already seen few comments from programmers but I never had a chance to contact them as they didn't reply.
    I would create an official (and separate) stickied announcement about this, for some more exposure. Just a suggestion.

Quote Originally Posted by Alkar View Post
    I would create an official (and separate) stickied announcement about this, for some more exposure. Just a suggestion.
    Purple in Britain? Maybe blue in Britain? Its Ered Luin

Alkar's Avatar Decanus

Purple in Britain? Maybe blue in Britain? Its Ered Luin
    I guess violet would be more correct on my part. Anyway, I was aware that it was the Ered Luin mountain range, but will there actually be Dwarves across the sea with a few isolated settlements? Or will they have ships (very weird for Dwarves )?

Quote Originally Posted by Alkar View Post
    I guess violet would be more correct on my part. Anyway, I was aware that it was the Ered Luin mountain range, but will there actually be Dwarves across the sea with a few isolated settlements? Or will they have ships (very weird for Dwarves )?
    For the begining I believe they will be isolated. During the game they can make alliance with Lindon and use mercenary ship units. Or we can make some kind of teleport function without ships.

Alkar's Avatar Decanus

For the begining I believe they will be isolated. During the game they can make alliance with Lindon and use mercenary ship units. Or we can make some kind of teleport function without ships.
    Okay, sounds good.

Lovely map! I really waiting for it
    Ὃ ἂν μὴ ἴδῃς μὴ λέγε. Εἰδὼς σίγα. [Do not talk about what you do not know. And when you know, don't talk either.]

Until now, we knew that Greeks were fighting like heroes; from now on we shall say that the heroes fight like Greeks -Winston Churchill Prime Minister of the United Kingdom-

Because we loose of lot of territories and then we will have some kind of non-lore faction size. Gondor and Mordor already are too small and Dale is too big. If we move Lindon and Ered Luin to France and Germany then Arnor will be very very small. We planned to make an option to restore Arnor Kingdom and in future unite Arnor and Gondor.
    Fair enough. Personally, I'd ditch Lindon and Ered Luin. Who are these guys again? I understand the desire to feature literally everyone from ME, but it creates so much work for yourselves to cram them all into the mod.
    Currently following these promising mods - Imperia Antiquitatis by Splenyi
    Traits, Talents, and Toadies
    by Hellbent
    Real Roman Reforms
    by Aodh Mor
    Unit Icons project
    by Bullgod
    Also recommended:
    City Sack, Liberation and Diplomatic Options
    by Dresden

All these factions will not be in the first realese though, but both Lindon and Ered Luin are very important. However with the ME in Eurpoe map, it may now be a bad idea to link Imaldris/Grey Havens, and Ered Luin/Erebor. its fine either way but linking may help resolve strategic problems.

Dwarves obviously could cross the sea using barrels (havent you seen the hobbit?)
    Lol, just kidding.

Dwarves would not have any navy so i would suggest keeping them on one land mass if they will be seperate.

Havelock Vetinari's Avatar Libertus

I could imagine, dwarves would be good shipwrights, but seasoldiers ... nah
    Modding tools for Attila! https://www.change.org/p/total-war-a...ign-map-editor
    Common sense is not so common.

slow. terrible handeling. but armed to hell. and strong as hell just use the iron clad ship model from Fall of samurai - then splice with empires paddle steemer. done-

Quote Originally Posted by nahun View Post
    I have a question to see the map. What's the point of playing with the dwarves of the Iron Hills, for example.They are surrounded by Allies and expansion will be really very very difficult to see the map, so here that's my question. That objective will have these features as surrounded by allies?

For me the choice of features for each part of the map is perfect
    I think this problem could be solved if dale is moved 1 settlement to the left and one of the rhun factions gets dales original settlement. That way dale and the dwarfs are still close enough to be allies, but the dwarves of the Iron hills still have an immediate enemy.

Privatecamping's Avatar Civis

Dwarves shouldny use any ships but if they so need they can use elven made mercenary ships

Quote Originally Posted by Privatecamping View Post
    Dwarves shouldny use any ships but if they so need they can use elven made mercenary ships
    No way would any elf lend a dwarf his ship, or any dwarf use an elf ship. Just give the dwarvs transport barges to go to and fro from the sea.

Privatecamping's Avatar Civis

Quote Originally Posted by cshewey View Post
    No way would any elf lend a dwarf his ship, or any dwarf use an elf ship. Just give the dwarvs transport barges to go to and fro from the sea.
    I thought that this is a good idea because gimli and legolas sailed of to valinor in a boat that legolas made

Alkar's Avatar Decanus

Well, just some way for the Dwarves to get across is needed. Like some free transport barges or a teleport (preferably teleport, due to blockades and such). According to lore, no Dwarves would ever use a ship, especially an Elf-ship, due to their character. Nor would an Elf lend them any due to their character. The vision is for the Dwarf player to not even realize he's across the sea lol, because England is an unwanted anomoly in comparison to a Middle-earth map. So a teleport would be ideal. Especially because if they get ships or transports, then blockades and enemy fleets have to be dealt with, and barges suck in battles. And then if they received ships, they would turn into a more powerful Harad with raids everywhere. Totally unbalanced in my opinion with even one ship. Then again, you could move them off of England on the map as well. Whatever seems best to you, idk.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast