Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Saudi Arabian Teacher Sentenced To 22 Years In Prison For Having Sex With Three 17 y.o. Students

intel's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Default Saudi Arabian Teacher Sentenced To 22 Years In Prison For Having Sex With Three 17 y.o. Students

Oh, sorry, that's not Saudi Arabia, that's USA. 22 years sentence for something almost every 17 years old teenager dreamed of (you can't deny that).

A teacher who sexually abused three of her male students has been jailed for 22 years.Jennifer Fichter, 30, tearfully pleaded with the court as she was handed the sentence at Polk County Court. She has been convicted of 37 counts of unlawful sexual contact with minors.
    Polk County Court in Forida heard that the former English teacher had a sexual relationship with three 17-year-old male students, according to Fox. She became pregnant by one of the boys and had an abortion.
    Fichter was arrested in April 2014 after the mother of one of the victims found sexually inappropriate texts on her son’s phone. She contacted the police with her concerns. Fichter was arrested and charged with having sexual contact with the minor.

For comparison, here is complete list of crimes that can get you 25 years of prison in Poland:

1) Crimes against peace, against humanity and warcrimes
    2) ethnic cleansing and genocide
    3) terrorism
    4) torture and slavery
    5) using weapons of mass destruction
    6) coup d'etat
    7) organising a hostile espionage structures on Republic's territory
    8) particulary nasty cases of murder
    9) taking people hostage with extreme cruelty
    10) attempting to assasinate the President

Incomplete list of crimes that can get you 25 years of prison in USA:

1) Having sex with 17 years old, consenting teenagers.
    2) Stealing a loaf of bread
    3) Murder maybe? I wouldn't bet on it.

I can't even describe how hilarious would that be if that wasn't so sad and dissapointing. This woman is going to have her life destroyed for almost completely harmless foolery. I had sex with my teacher once and my life actually improved. Because the sex was fun and I actually learned a lot.

Way to go, America. Gay marriages and life sentences for sex with teenagers.

Source:
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...-10368742.html

gaunty14's Avatar Vicarius

Default Re: Saudi Arabian Teacher Sentenced To 22 Years In Prison For Having Sex With Three 17 y.o. Students

22 years is extreme, certainly losing the right to teach but a custodial sentence that large is rather harsh. But the age gap is quite large (at 17 anyway) and this wasn't a one off isolated incident, she decided to get sexually involved with three underage students.

Admiteddly there is no difference between a 17 year old and and an 18 year old save an arbitrary line of childhood/adulthood but that is the difference between morally questionable sex with a student who she is responsible for and underage sex.

"will help build battle station for food" - or rep

Default Re: Saudi Arabian Teacher Sentenced To 22 Years In Prison For Having Sex With Three 17 y.o. Students

In civilized countries this is a matter for the school and not the government, and the teacher is simply dismissed. In this case in the UK a female teacher had sex with a 16 year old boy (above the UK age of consent) and will no longer be able to teach, but she is still as a free woman. The same happens with the genders reversed.

17 year olds are perfectly capable of consenting to sex. I can't imagine why the age of consent would be 18. Sex between older students and teachers may be inappropriate but it should not be criminal. It should only be a crime if the student is beneath a sane age of consent.

If it was a male teacher with three willing seventeen year old female students, would he have gotten a different sentence? Or if he was gay, and the three male gay or bisexual seventeen year olds? Or if she was a lesbians and the students were seventeen year old lesbians?
    Eats, shoots, and leaves.

Yes, males tend to get the short end of the stick. He could get a life sentence.

Besides, the only reason to ever consider that 17 yo humans shouldn't be capable to consent to sex is that at this age they are horny beyond scale. Hardly a reason to jail people, right?

I feel the abortion was more important to the judge than the case itself

Just remove her from being a teacher. 1 year jail was enough. Maybe a fine. WTF
    454-480 Western Roman Politics (Article)
    There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so. - W. Shakespeare
    We (...) have converted the miracles of science into a chamber of horrors -R. Hull

USA knew how to gain a victory, but not how to use it - F.J. Nepos
    You will be ruled by either a crown, a clown, or a crook, and democracy assures that you won't get the first one.

If the teacher had been male, and the victims female, my guess is that you wouldn't have even bothered posting this.

That said, 22 years is very excessive - but then again, the US is not known for having a justice system that delivers any sort of justice. It has a police force which is out of control, a court system which discriminates against non-whites, favours women (obviously not in this case) and judges who consistently hand down ridiculous sentences. Land of the free indeed.

That said, this woman appears to have used her position of power and influence in order to manipulate much younger boys who were her students. That is unacceptable. Even if they had willingly consented to it, it is still a breach of trust in my opinion, not to mention illegal since they were minors at the time.
    Last edited by Cope; July 15, 2015 at 05:18 AM.

Not the brightest day for the judicial system.
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB MareNostrum

Caelifer_1991's Avatar Vicarius

The U.S. legal system is absurd, always has been and still is, and this proves it. Just one more reason to not go to America; for those of you that already live there, you have my condolences.

In the UK it's the complete opposite...

Just a few fairly recent cases:

In the Rotherham sexual abuse scandal out of the 5 men the max sentence handed out was 11 years to Razwan Razaq, another got 9 years and then the other three only got 4 years...

Rolph Harris charged with indecently assaulting children aged 14 to 16 only got 5 years 9 months in prison...

To me it should be the other way round where the teacher gets maybe a few years in prison and actual pedophiles get 22 years or more.

Perhaps both the UK and the US judicial systems could learn a thing or two from one another because both the UK and US judicial systems seem to suffer from miscarriages of justice.
    Last edited by Banzai!!!; July 14, 2015 at 06:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Banzai!!! View Post
    In the UK it's the complete opposite...

Just a few fairly recent cases:

In the Rotherham sexual abuse scandal out of the 5 men the max sentence handed out was 11 years to Razwan Razaq, another got 9 years and then the other three only got 4 years...

Rolph Harris charged with indecently assaulting children aged 14 to 16 only got 5 years 9 months in prison...

To me it should be the other way round where the teacher gets maybe a few years in prison and actual pedophiles get 22 years or more.

Perhaps both the UK and the US judicial systems could learn a thing or two from one another because both the UK and US judicial systems seem to suffer from miscarriages of justice.
    Yeah I agree with this in some regards. There are regular stories in the UK of horrific crimes where the perpetrators get unjustly short sentences. A classic recent example (other than the ones you already gave) was that of eight year Ayesha Ali who was abused and tortured to death by her mother and her mother's online girlfriend. The pair received custodial sentences of 13 and 18 years respectively - hardly what I'd consider appropriate for the crimes they committed. As far as I'm concerned, 30 years should have been the minimum sentence for the girlfriend, Muddar, who manipulated the mother into carrying out the abuse.

That said, I'd rather live in a society which has unjustly short sentences than a society which has ridiculously archaic sentences. I reject the notion that life without parole (or effective life without parole) should ever be imposed upon people who've not committed the most horrific of crimes. No one, for example, should be receiving 100 years prison time for fraud, regardless of how much money they stole. Moreover, I feel that the British justice system has less (not non existent) problems with institutional racism and sexism.

As Caelifer mentioned, one of the biggest downsides to the US is its extremely poor track record when it comes to justice - by comparison to Western Europe anyway.

First off, Jennifer Fichter was suspended and eventually resigned in 2008 from an Orlando middle school after confessing to another teacher her inappropriate feelings for a 14-year-old boy. This makes her a child predator.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/florida-teacher-busted-sex-charges-scandalous-history-report-article-1.1762895

Second, I find it ironic that someone from a country that refuses to extradite an admitted child molester feels that they have any room to lecture a country on prison sentencing related to the subject.

http://variety.com/2014/film/global/roman-polanski-evades-u-s-extradition-bid-in-poland-1201343325/

alhoon's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    took an arrow to the knee

Ahem... how about instead of 22 years in prison she gets fired from the school (I have little tolerance for teachers having intimate relations with students), but with a wink and a pat in the back for scoring with 3 young men? And those 3 young men also buying her a goodbye coming-of-age gift?
    The sex was consentual although deeply unethical if they were actually her students and not just students of that school.

If I have ####ed my teacher when I was 17, my father would not press charges but give her a thumps up and congratulate me.
    Last edited by alhoon; July 14, 2015 at 09:31 PM.
    alhoon is not a member of the infamous Hoons: a (fictional) nazi-sympathizer KKK clan. Of course, no Hoon would openly admit affiliation to the uninitiated.
    "Angry Uncle Gordon" describes me well.

wait, does everyone think she's actually going to serve 22 years? does every non-american think the US is full of cruel judges and parole committees that actually force everyone to serve their maximum penalty? actually we have a problem with criminals being granted parole and then going on to commit more crimes.

also, having sex with underage minors from a position of authority that is funded by the government is a bigger offense than what you're trying to make it seem like. if you want to make a thread about what should be the legal age of consent then make one but this teacher overstepped her bounds multiple times and this is why the sentence is so relatively harsh, although she won't spend the full 22 years.

Quote Originally Posted by tgoodenow View Post
    First off, Jennifer Fichter was suspended and eventually resigned in 2008 from an Orlando middle school after confessing to another teacher her inappropriate feelings for a 14-year-old boy. This makes her a child predator.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/florida-teacher-busted-sex-charges-scandalous-history-report-article-1.1762895
    Well, she can even have "feelings" for a 5-years old. "Feelings" are not illegal, you can have a rape/zoophilia fetish and it shouldn't be of anyone's concern as long as it doesn't culminate in illegal action or doesn't interfere with her legal duties (which it did, but not in manner that would require prosecution).
    Second, I find it ironic that someone from a country that refuses to extradite an admitted child molester feels that they have any room to lecture a country on prison sentencing related to the subject.
    Way to go, chap, to attack me for my nationality. Truth is, the expiration date for Polanski's crime in Polish Law is 15 years, unless the victim would decide to pursue a sentence (which she didn't). Even then, it's pointless to attack me for something I am not responsible for and have no influence on.
    Last edited by intel; July 15, 2015 at 01:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by snuggans View Post
    wait, does everyone think she's actually going to serve 22 years? does every non-american think the US is full of cruel judges and parole committees that actually force everyone to serve their maximum penalty? actually we have a problem with criminals being granted parole and then going on to commit more crimes.
    No, you don't. You have the largest prison population per capita in the civilised world (and that somehow includes China). And yes, even if she is forced to serve 10 years that is still too much.

also, having sex with underage minors from a position of authority that is funded by the government is a bigger offense than what you're trying to make it seem like. if you want to make a thread about what should be the legal age of consent then make one but this teacher overstepped her bounds multiple times and this is why the sentence is so relatively harsh, although she won't spend the full 22 years.
    She probably won't, but you missed the point entirely if you think that having sex using position of authority is enough to warrant a 22, or even 11 years sentence.

Quote Originally Posted by alhoon View Post
    Ahem... how about instead of 22 years in prison she gets fired from the school (I have little tolerance for teachers having intimate relations with students), but with a wink and a pat in the back for scoring with 3 young men? And those 3 young men also buying her a goodbye coming-of-age gift?
    The sex was consentual although deeply unethical if they were actually her students and not just students of that school.

If I have ####ed my teacher when I was 17, my father would not press charges but give her a thumps up and congratulate me.
    This

I mean, what the heck, she should be fired from her position because some unethical actions, but 22 years in prison (or even 10) for having consensual sex with some 17 years old is just baffling.
    USA is very weird sometimes

Victim impact should be a big factor in any sentencing, so if the fraud involves wiping out family's life savings, especially on a massive scale, then you should rot in prison for a very long time. It would make white collar crime a lot less attractive.

The three students should have had a psychological examination to see if they suffered any trauma, permanent or temporary, and the sentence should reflect that.
    Eats, shoots, and leaves.

Quote Originally Posted by intel View Post
    Well, she can even have "feelings" for a 5-years old. "Feelings" are not illegal, you can have a rape/zoophilia fetish and it shouldn't be of anyone's concern as long as it doesn't culminate in illegal action or doesn't interfere with her legal duties (which it did, but not in manner that would require prosecution).
    Way to go, chap, to attack me for my nationality. Truth is, the expiration date for Polanski's crime in Polish Law is 15 years, unless the victim would decide to pursue a sentence (which she didn't). Even then, it's pointless to attack me for something I am not responsible for and have no influence on.
    Let's try this again. I'm not attacking you for your nationality. I'm pointing out your selective moral outrage. In my opinion, Polanski should rot in prison till his death and all his money should go to that girl or a charity. If you believe that someone convicted of drugging and raping a 13 year old should get a pass because time has passed that is your right. But, please do not hold up that judicial system that believes in that idea as a beacon of morality.

"A Lakeland teacheraccused this week of having a sexual relationship with a 17-year-old student was sending inappropriate text messages to an eighth-grade student while she was teaching at an Orange County middle school in 2008, according to a report.
    According to Orange County Public Schools records, Jennifer Fichter was texting one of her eighth-grade male students at Robinswood Middle School in Orlando and told other teachers she felt he was her boyfriend."

Knowing what we know now, given her multiple sexual encounters with three of her students, it is highly likely that she would have met up with this 14 year old student and had sex with him. Making her no different than someone like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVLT26CMzk4
    Last edited by tgoodenow; July 15, 2015 at 03:24 AM.

I guess the only surprising thing is that she got a sentence similar to what a male teacher would get. Mary Kay Letourneau only got three months for her first offence with her 12 year old student, and seven years for her second.
    Quote Originally Posted by Enros View Post
    You don't seem to be familiar with how the burden of proof works in when discussing social justice. It's not like science where it lies on the one making the claim. If someone claims to be oppressed, they don't have to prove it.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast