Thread: [Submod] Vanilla DEI Units Ballance Mod

Default [Submod] Vanilla DEI Units Ballance Mod

I love DEI, it has done a great job bringing a different feel to the same game. But it is not without fault. Now here are some facts.

1. Combat is slow.
    2. Combat is slow.
    3. Combat is slow. (Mom told me that if something is important you should say it 3 times. )
    4. Battle tactics are pretty simple and easy to pull off. One squad of hoplites can hold 10 elite infantries and buy you like 10 minutes to pull off any tactics you want. And AI just have no way to stop you, because AI are built based on fast paced game style.
    5. Most of the time, I just fast forwarding the entire battle. And I really really miss the battle crying animations and battle animations and blood and taunting in normal speed.
    6. Ideas that shield side is harder to penetrate and rear is extremely vulnerable are good and define this mod.
    7. Ability changes are good. It now feels more tactical.
    8. Most of the time, when units rout, they retreat like they are marching. Cuz their speed is so low, they can't perform proper rout animations.

Now, here is what I think.
    1.I am not an experienced game designer or data miner or math nerd, I can't just meddle the numbers and expect anything good and balance would happen.
    2.Vanilla unit stats are fairly balanced, and AI are also built based on it.
    3.DEI unit stats are balanced as well.
    4.I am lazy, and there are like 1000 units and weapons in this mod.
    5.I know programming.

So this is what I am gonna do. I am going to write a C# program that scales the stats of units and weapon from their range in DEI to the range in vanilla game in a linear fashion.
    For example, melee attack in DEI ranges from 2 to 40, and in vanilla game it ranges from 5 to 79. So I take an attack of Sparta Hoplite, which is 20, I scale it to the range of vanilla, which is 40. In this way, I can raise the game speed up to the level of vanilla game, while maintaining the flavor of DEI.

Here is a list of what I actually did.
    1.Land Units : charge_bonus, dismounted_charge_bonus, dismounted_melee_attack, melee_attack, morale, bonus_hit_points, reload are scaled into vanilla level.
    2.Melee Weapons: bonus_v_elephants, bonus_v_cavalry, bonus_v_infantry, damage are scaled into vanilla level. AP damage(weapon deadliness) is left alone, since DEI added a lot of shield piercing, armor piercing effects, it could be balanced without needing to change it.
    3.Battle Entities: run_speed, charge_speed, mass for men, horses, elephants, camels are scaled into vanilla level.
    4.Defense stats, like armor, defense, shield missile block chance are left alone. Cuz this is where the flavor of DEI comes from.
    5.Elephant HP are left alone. Cuz if they get back their HP and still have berserk, they are gonna wreck anything that stand before them.
    6.Missiles are left alone. Cuz the missile block chances are tuned down in DEI, so it actually is pretty balanced.
    7.Morale and fatigue effects are left alone. That's where flavor of DEI comes from as well.

So here is what I noticed after the changes.
    1.Combat speed is faster, close to vanilla game. And you don't have to fast forward most of the time.
    2.Front line troops can still hold their ground pretty good. But not as long.
    3.If you try to re-position your units while engaging, you are gonna lose a lot of lives because of increased attack.
    4.Spartan Hoplite beats almost every elite sword units in frontal attack decisively. And I checked and found out they are the same level badass even in DEI. Actually every hoplites are badasses.
    5.Cav charges are wrecking balls. But they will lose a lot trying to pull out.
    6.You can still manage to lose under 500 men in a balanced battle, killing 1500 enemies.
    7.They rout properly, in a loser's fashion.

Since all of the stat balances are done by programs, there are going to be some weird instances and bugs. Tell me if you notice something strange or unbalanced.

Download Link:
    http://www.mediafire.com/download/wc...s_Balance.pack

KAM 2150's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

Default Re: [Submod] Vanilla DEI Units Ballance Mod

Have you tried experimental pack?
    Official DeI Instagram Account! https://www.instagram.com/divideetimperamod/
    Official DeI Facebook Page! https://www.facebook.com/divideetimperamod

Quote Originally Posted by KAM 2150 View Post
    Actually that's how I have being playing DEI. That new experimental version is good, but I like how the vanilla combat goes, so I just try to get to vanilla style.

Ur mod could be the best thing for me.
    I like the synergy DeI provides, building, tech,the expanded rooster, costs and upkeep of units,etc but I prefer the vanilla combat. For me vanilla combat is not so fast and not so slow, its in the middle ground.
    Going to test it right now

I like this. So far, I've not been too picky at units from default DeI with regards to their purpose. I was only really picking which ones to have in an army depending on my budget. Picking the best unit is the way to go.

I've not been experienced enough with dei to know this for certain, but there's no such thing as picking units for their heavy charge, defensive skill, etc.

I wish there was a DeI unit roster that featured more like that of vanilla rome 2. Unit spotlight and all.

Quote Originally Posted by GnaReffotsirk View Post
    I like this. So far, I've not been too picky at units from default DeI with regards to their purpose. I was only really picking which ones to have in an army depending on my budget. Picking the best unit is the way to go.

I've not been experienced enough with dei to know this for certain, but there's no such thing as picking units for their heavy charge, defensive skill, etc.

I wish there was a DeI unit roster that featured more like that of vanilla rome 2. Unit spotlight and all.
    That would be awesome

Well, player already have an advantage against AI. If we are given the chance to pick low tier units to achieve high effects, that would be too unfair.

Well, I still couldn't get to 25 posts, so I cannot edit my posts. I'll just update here.

update:
    1.Projectile : Set all missile weapons' projectile to have zero spread, which is what vanilla game is. Artillery is not changed. Damage and ap_damage is not changed. Cuz they are basically in the same range of vanilla game, with more emphasis on ap_damage.
    2.Shields : Scale missile block chance range to 0-60, and reduce no shield missile block chance to 0. Which means those who have bigger shields block better, while those who have terrible shields will get shot more. There are 3 units (Aux_Gre_Num_Javelinmen, Car_Numidian_Archers, Car_Numidian_Slingers) whose shields are not changed. Cuz their shield is weird, I think it could be a bug. And their missile block chance is extremely low, so change won't make any difference either.
    3.Land units: Ammo for most archers and slingers are scaled to 15 ~ 25 range, except those who already have ammo lower than 15. Elephants, chariots are not changed, they still have huge ammo (I believe this is what the mod creator intended). Most javelin throwers have 7 ammo, which is the same with vanilla, so I let them be.
    4.UI: Unit stats display range has been changed to fit new stats range.
    5.Melee weapons: Weapon damage range has changed from previous 6-40 to 6-45. Most units will see only 1 point or no increase. But certain glass cannons will have a significant buff. I made this change because they have 30 dmg, 15 ap_dmg in vanilla game.

after the change:
    1.Skirmishing speed is closer to vanilla game.
    2.Armored archer > slingers > no armor archer. This exits in DEI. But now you will notice a significant difference between those 3 types, cuz they kill faster.
    3.Thracian glass canons kill like god. They get killed like ants when getting shot.
    4.Roman legions that form testudo will have complete missile immunity, which is the same in DEI.
    5.Ammo for archers is kind of not enough. Their damage are lowered in DEI, so they don't kill that much.

Now, all these changes are done by programs. So there will be bugs and glitches. Tell me if you notice anything.

version 2 for DEI 1.05c download
    http://www.mediafire.com/download/p2...alance_v2.pack

FlashHeart07's Avatar Praepositus

Let me see if I understand that last bit correctly You mean that there is no real difference between the individual units and their abilities which makes them either stronger or weaker against other opponents?

Quote Originally Posted by FlashHeart07 View Post
    Let me see if I understand that last bit correctly You mean that there is no real difference between the individual units and their abilities which makes them either stronger or weaker against other opponents?
    I see the trap there bud.

FlashHeart07's Avatar Praepositus

I see the trap there bud.
    What trap?

PLEASE UPDATE THIS, I REALLY LOVE THIS SUBMOD THAN THE REST

Has anybody been able to play with this submod active? As soon as I start rome, it crashes o.O

KAM 2150's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

It is not compatible with past few DeI releases.
    Official DeI Instagram Account! https://www.instagram.com/divideetimperamod/
    Official DeI Facebook Page! https://www.facebook.com/divideetimperamod

Quote Originally Posted by KAM 2150 View Post
    Where can i find the experimental version? I'm using the DEI mod through workshop on steam, with faster movement and battle submods.