Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213

Thread: Discussion about the ents, spiders and wolves crashes.

leo.civil.uefs's Avatar É nóis que vôa bruxão!

Default Re: Discussion about the ents, spiders and wolves crashes.

So the mistery of spider crashes goes on...

By the way, they fixed Ents crashing in TATW: Reforged and it had something with vertex assignment, if Im not mistaken.

It seems like someone else already know the answer and fixed the problem.
    Check it in our discord channel

https://discord.gg/wNhakg

King Athelstan's Avatar The Wheel Weaves
    Blog Entries

The discord link doesn't appear to be working
    Proudly under the patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader
    Proud patron of 4zumi, Akar, CommodusIV ,Swaeft
    and Peaman

nadalio's Avatar Civis
    Where the nameless things gnawing the earth

Quote Originally Posted by leo.civil.uefs View Post
    It seems like someone else already know the answer and fixed the problem.
    Check it in our discord channel

https://discord.gg/wNhakg

I answer them on discord.
    You can PM me.
    Last edited by nadalio; April 22, 2020 at 04:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by King Athelstan View Post
    The discord link doesn't appear to be working
    It never does, I never get it to work.

King Athelstan's Avatar The Wheel Weaves
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by leo.civil.uefs View Post
    It never does, I never get it to work.
    Did you try editing the link so it doesn't expire and has a larger number of uses?
    Proudly under the patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader
    Proud patron of 4zumi, Akar, CommodusIV ,Swaeft
    and Peaman

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Call me Ishmael

Hi guys! Reporting in to offer bad news thus far at least for my version of MOS 1.7 on my Acer laptop, admittedly playing on very high settings because I can do that comfortably with this and other M2TW Kingdoms mods now that I have a laptop with a better graphics card. I basically did what I said I was going to do here and alas, the game had a CTD almost immediately after starting the battle. Luckily for me, though, I've never had a CTD with Mumakil, not even on my older HP Pavilion laptop which had a crap "Family Graphics" card, so at the very least that's not an issue. I have only rarely fought Ents, like 3 or 4 times total, and maybe one battle with wolves in my entire experience playing MOS, but I do remember that the battles worked when I temporarily kicked the graphics settings down. Looks like I'll have to continue doing that with spiders, unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by Roma_Victrix View Post
    Cool! Thanks for letting me know. It's great that you guys are still working on this after all these years. I just downloaded those files and put them in the appropriate folders. I will let you know what happens. I'll start a random temporary new campaign and do some cheats to immediately move_character a general with an army over to that remote island in the northwest with the 3 spider units. That's what made the game crash for me, although I've unfortunately had the game crash in the past during pivotal crusade sieges fighting Mordor and had to replay them on low graphics due to the damn spiders. Hopefully that never happens again with this particular fix, because the AI usually doesn't bring more than one or two spider mercenary units to a single battle. I'll let you know the results in the thread you linked to above.

Veteraan's Avatar TATW Local Moderator

Thanks Roma, it seems the bounding spheres fix alone won't be the magical bullet after all, although I initially got some very hopeful results in MOS, But it is not uncommon to have spells where the creatures play nice for a while, before crashing and starting to spoil the fun. I do think there is some benefit to this fix though, during my MOS 1.7 testing I pulled of some battles I never ever have been able to play, like 19 Ent units versus 20 Wolves.

I have been busy with the Toolbox myself, fixing all the units in my current test version of DCI:LA. I'm playing a campaign right now and hope to encounter some crash prone creatures while playing. Would be good to get a feel if it perhaps now is at least tolerable in normal circumstances (very few creature units present in battles). Anecdotal evidence at best though, I'm afraid. It would take a lot of testing by quite a few people to get some solid answers. That is not going the happen.

Looks like the edited models some mods use, will be the only way. I tried to get those a few years ago, but that didn't work well, as I got only some instructions in the end which we couldn't get to work at all. A few people are at this still though, I hope at least. So we might yet see a solution.

And a tip for you, Roma. If you want to test something like certain creatures crashing, a custom battle is a wonderful way to do that.
    Last edited by Veteraan; April 24, 2020 at 03:22 AM.

Citizenised by Shankbot - Patron of b0Gia - House de Bodemloze

nadalio's Avatar Civis
    Where the nameless things gnawing the earth

As others said it's a wrong assignment to bones and other animation issuel.
    But there is another factor that is important in the behaviour of a mount based unit,
    the descr_mount.txt.
    I read the guide on TWC, but what's the links between animation/ bones and settings like radius, height, mass, ecc?
    Does anybody knows what are the right settings if you create a new unit like spiders?
    Maybe this is a weak point that help to create crashes

z3n's Avatar State of Mind
    took an arrow to the knee

Something strange for creature battles - there were crashes with the giant bats unit from PcP whenever two 120 man units of archers were not present in the battle.

I had two units of 12 men each (two handed swordsmen), whenever only they were present the battle would crash.
    The AI Workshop Creator
    Europa Barbaroum II AI/Game Mechanics Developer
    The Northern Crusades Lead Developer
    Classical Age Total War Retired Lead Developer
    Rome: Total Realism Animation Developer
    RTW Workshop Assistance MTW2 AI Tutorial & Assistance
    Broken Crescent Submod (M2TW)/IB VGR Submod (BI)/Animation (RTW/BI/ALX)/TATW PCP Submod (M2TW)/TATW DaC Submod (M2TW)/DeI Submod (TWR2)/SS6.4 Northern European UI Mod (M2TW)

Veteraan's Avatar TATW Local Moderator

Copy of the text I posted earlier in the OP of this thread:

After more than five years, there is finally some good, or perhaps I should say, excellent news to report about the Creature crashes problem. In collaboration with Jojo00182, Louis Lux has come up with a solution that actually works. Well, it certainly looks like it and having personally been involved in the the testing of this fix, I can confirm that it looks very promising indeed. Or to give you an idea, I have played multiple custom battles with 40 units of different creatures (Ents, Spiders, Wolves, Sauron(s), and Balrog(s) without any crashes. Mûmakil have not been changed, as they rarely seem to crash.

Be advised that this fix is guaranteed to work for Third Age Total War only!

You can find the fix and the complete credits HERE.
    Last edited by Veteraan; September 02, 2020 at 10:27 AM.

Citizenised by Shankbot - Patron of b0Gia - House de Bodemloze

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213